© 2002-2018

Perfect deathcore. - 99%

Alienhell, July 6th, 2012

How to begin this review is troubling for me. This band released this EP back in 2007, a few years before I came across it as part of a new music spree I had been urged into starting for myself. In some unknown time space, the band disbanded and left their reason why as a lonely message for the now formidable fan base they have. Their existence seems to have been consolidated to those lucky enough to have heard their material, live or studio. And only one video can actually be found of the band live on the internet. Yes, A Thousand Times Repent have been a speck in the continuous stream of metal bands that have come and gone. But, with this EP - they have established a legacy.

The artwork doesn't leave much to speculation, two covers exist - the one shown here of a darkened sky and visible clouds, and another, featured as the re-issue, of a pilot's helmet with a mushroom cloud reflected in his eyes. As I said, one cannot assume much of the band with this outward appearance to be as benign as this. Along with the track names, one would guess that this band will follow a chug-chug pattern and feature the worthless 'BR00TL' musical ideology. But, the band does this purely to lower the listener's defences, and blast their assumptions sky-high. And it works, very, very well.

The first track opens with an audio sample, the sound of a distorted and demonic laugh and sneer before breaking shortly to the sound of a young child speaking in a calm but somewhat disturbing manner:

'You are demons. I think the only thing you'll taste today, is your own blood.'

And SLAM. The band comes in with a killer breakdown as the vocalist gurgles out in a horrifically effective fashion; 'HAIL TO AN END, SHE HAS COME, WINTER'S COME.' Guitars deliver a crisp tone that sounds absolutely excellent, the bass actually being audible, and the drums blasting out cymbals and bass pedals. It literally feels like a building has been leveled.
Instead of the 'BR00TL' formula to be a continued chug and overusing the pig squeals that the vocalist occasionally incorporates; A Thousand Times Repent build upon what they've established - laying down some fantastic riffs and intricate, yet flowing drum patterns as the vocalist continues his roaring growls, being fairly understandable and still supplying a huge amount of anger. A Thousand Times Repent sound more like the speech before the huge battle, and yet the battle also.

Riffing throughout the album is very consistent, the absolutely monstrously effective breakdowns that A Thousand Times Repent use - e.g: A Band Of Hunters Stalk In Edo's 'FORWARD, ONWARD, MAKE THEM REGRET!' are often broken apart by the use of their ascending riffs & tapping sections, adding significant variety and speed. It is thrilling to listen to the band throw breakdowns out so quickly and so inventively.
Drums are another key part of the fantastic combination that ATTR have, the drummer exhibiting his ability to switch style - whether the continued blast in 'Take Me To The Witch Of The Waste...' or delivering the varied machine-gun style hits in the sludge breakdown of 'So Much For Middle Earth'. It's fantastic.

ATTR even utilize melodic elements at the end of 'That Was The Night Everything Changed' in what sounds tragically wonderful and provides a great break from the metal assault, fitting in nicely to the overall tone of the EP. This comes back around as a solo vocal with a piano in the final track. Ultimately I'd disregard that track as it doesn't compliment the album, but certainly doesn't ruin it.

A Thousand Times Repent have made Christianity work with metal, using lyrics that are hardly connected and giving a significantly harsh view against demonic foes. They've made breakdowns work in the best way I've ever heard, and for that; they must be congratulated several times. Their demise as a band is a demoralizing fact, as I would have loved new material; but this will always be one of my favorite EPs, from a very promising group of musicians.