Best portuguese band ever period. - 97%

thisisnotme, September 14th, 2012

I don't remember exactly how I came across A Dream of Poe's music, but since the first listen I was amazed by their sound. The best word I can use for describing their sound is Magic. Yes, magic. These portuguese guys (actually it's most an one-man project with Miguel Santos handling all the instruments with some guests) simply make a extremely powerful album. Their mellow, atmospheric, almost lullaby-esque sound is simply unique, offering a dark dream-like, mesmerizing atmosphere, comparable with Tiamat's Wildhoney (yet, the swedes' sound has a more exoteric tinge). Despite being relatively unknown, these guys hold the spot (in my honest opinion, of course) as the best portuguese band ever (Fernando Ribeiro, Eat your Heart Out!).

As I briefly described ADOP above, their unique Doom/Death makes a soothing, yet very dark atmosphere, giving the listeners a extremely contemplative experience. While the closest comparision of their sound may be My Dying Bride (heavy, slow, powerful and emotional), ADOP manage to take a noticiable amount of inspiration of them, but yet having a extremely original twist, never losing their strength and never being boring. The record has six relatively long tracks (the shortest lasts less than six minutes), which all can be considered highlights.

Neophyte, the album opener, is a showcase of everything these guys can do. Beautiful slow riffs, slow-paced drumming with excelent fills, amazing solos and their stand-out feature in my opinion: their vocals. The vocal work of this album can be compared to Solstice's Lamentation: delicate, soothing, calm vocals over doomy guitar riffs. And here they're even better, and we also have death growls. Guest João Melo is an expectacular vocalist, going without any difficulty between his mellow lullaby-esque singing and extremely powerful growls. While being a relatively long song (7 minutes), It feels like a endless second that when it goes away you can't help but want to go back again. This song is my favorite from the album, the first one i've ever listened and the song that made me fall in love with ADOP. Along with Whatever that Hurts from Tiamat's masterpiece Wildhoney is the best Death/Doom Song ever.

But the album has a lot more to offer. The album may not be the most varied around, but it has an impressive focus on textures and atmosphere, while retaining relatively simple song extrutures. The following, 10 minute crushing ambiance (this may be a paradox, but it's true) of Os Vultos comes after with one of the most original pieces that I've heard. We're presented with simple clean guitars, very slow rythms, along with spoken vocals in portuguese. With myself being brazilian, I had no troubles with focusing on the lyrics. Listening to such a powerful song in it's mother tongue it's a extremely incredible experience. These dark desolate lyrics simply mesmerize me. And when João changes the speech for death growls and everything turns heavier I couldn't help but shiver. And actually growls in portuguese sound really cool. The song floats out for more five minutes in an almost Floydian-esque way: bluesy guitar soloing and atmospheric “cradle-rocking”.

While all of the songs are really good, the first two pieces are the ones that stand out the most. Yet, all the following songs has lot of things to offer. Lady of Shallot and Liber XIX are mesmerizing nightmare-trips, with crushing guitars, slow rythms and João Melo impressive vocal work. He switches between clean voices, deep growls (the death growling on the later is simply impressive), an unision of the two, spoken words and even some delicate falsetto during Lady of Shallot. Liber XIX, in fact was a bit hard to me to get into, but after some listenings I could enjoy it better. The Lost King of the Lyre, the shortest song here, has some of the fastest riffing through the album, and has a lot of pretty leads.

Chrysopoeia, the longest song of the album, is overall a very good song, yet it's the weakest one. It has good vocals, nice riffs, and some interesting dark-as-hell atmospheres, but the song is a bit overlong in some parts, such an almost industrial outro with crashing low-pitched drums. Being it the weakest track on the record, I had to reduce de final score a bit.

A Mirror of Deliverance is a 6-track gem that MUST be in every Doom fan collection. This 6-track record is a 52 minute trip into the deepest of our inner self, a contemplative view of a desolate landscape, a dark dream that you don't want to wake up because its cold embrace strangely is so comforting.