© 2002-2020

Overwhelming classy album - 80%

Eternal Tom, December 14th, 2016
Written based on this version: 2016, CD, Solitude Productions

The noise of the surf, the melancholic sounds of an acoustic guitar, accompanied by the soulful voice of vocalist envelop you from the first seconds, and now you are somewhere on the Atlantic coast, observing the leisurely flow of the waves, listening to the sounds of the wind which brings simultaneously freshness and coolness, and looking at the grand mountains... I’ve never been to Iberian Peninsula but by virtue of the music I found myself there. Just for one hour. On this new atmospheric, melodic, and yet not devoid of powerful heavy sound record, A Dream Of Poe pulls off all the ingredients that you’d expect.

Particular attention should be paid to the singer of the band – Kaivan Saraei, whose work is actually titanic. His vocals are filled with permeating melody that penetrates the soul with a touch of sadness and sorrow, like if he looks you in the heart and subjugates you with his voice. The lion's share is just clean tenor singing, whilst growling appears only in moments of apotheosis, bringing a state of despair to the high water mark. And I was hooked by this delivery. Can’t help it – I do love clean vocals, excessively sometimes. If you’re tired of hearing constant extreme vocals then “A Waltz For Apophenia” will be a delight for your ears.

As the ode to the man behind the microphone is finished, I turn to the instrumental part of the band’s third full-length album. Everything here is shipshape, fulfilled with massive riffs, excellent melodic passages, gentle acoustic arpeggios and mystical keyboards tones. It’s a nice change of pace, and the music is no less compelling because of it. Yet most of compositions are performed in mid-tempo although sometimes there are explosive dynamic moments. The music on this album associates with calm tidal waters of the mighty ocean, which does not hesitate to show its strength. And when it happens - double-bass drumming and sixteenth notes enter the scene. Everything is perfectly balanced.

“A Waltz For Apophenia” is one of those albums that you can speak too long about, describing all the charms and disadvantages, but now it’s up to listeners to decide if they appreciate this original creation. And one more thing – it’s better to be alone while you give it a listen! Don’t let anyone to disturb you with idle talking. Also you can’t use it as the background music for whatever purpose. It is necessary to immerse yourself fully and let the music overwhelm you. This is the only option for one to be completely imbued with unearthly sound of “A Waltz…”

P.S. A little bit of a fly in the ointment: with the fourth song I noticed that the clean vocals parts are starting to become monotonous, due to the fact that the singer clearly does not use his full tessitura potential and sings only in one octave. It would be nice to hear more high or low notes from him.