BEST RUSSIAN THRASH EVER!!! - 100%

ThrashFanatic, January 26th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2015, CD, Metal Race Records (Digipak, Limited edition, Remastered)

If this isn't the greatest technical thrash band ever, than I'd be damned! Aspid hail from the Volgodonsk, Rostov region in Russia. The band formed in 1988, and started to gain a fan base within the realms of Russian thrash. In 1992, they recorded their debut "Кровоизлияние" (Extravasation in English) at SNC Studios between May 3 and May 18. The album was then released on the Ritonis label in Latvia limited to 1000 copies on vinyl the following year. Now that the history is out of the way, let's take a look at the music...

The record begins with one of the best intros in all of music history. Simply titled "Intro", the intro features some horror movie styled synth played by vocalist Vitaliy Kholopov on a Roland-W30. The intro is so haunting, it sets the mood for what is to come... After the intro, "It Came (Aspid)" begins, and it is extremely technical! Guitarist Aleksander Sidorchik is one of the best thrash guitarists ever. His riffs are technical/progressive, and he is constantly changing tempo. His solos are perfection, some of the best ever. Vitaliy Kholopov's vocals are amazing. He switches from thrashy shouts to brutal growls. He sings in Russian, which adds to the unique nature of his vocals. Bassist Vladimir Pyzhenkov is a amazing bassist, he can be heard throughout the album which is great. Drummer Vasiliy Shapovalov is absolutely INSANE on drums. His drumming is some of the best I've heard in all my years of listening to music. His shining moments are during the middle section of "Towards One Goal", the intro of "Comatose State", and the intro of the title track. His performance is the best ever.

As for the highlights, well the whole damn thing is the highlight. However to keep this review short and concise, I'm just going to mention a few. "Give Me (Play For A Ballet)" begins with an epic synth and has some of the best riffs on the album. It is mid tempo, and then picks up speed before the solo. The song is nearly 8 and a half minutes, and is arguably the best here. "Where The Night" starts with a sick bass intro, and features the most technical riffs on the album. This track is also the only track on the record to feature blast beats, and the blast beats are perfectly placed! Lastly, I would like to mention the title track, which is an instrumental. The bass intro with the harmonics is beautiful, and the drum work makes it even better. The riffs here are great, and I like how a acoustic section makes an appearance. This is a perfect way to close out this masterpiece of tech thrash!

Overall, I admire the aspects of this album deeply. I was so memorized by this album the first time I heard it. The technical riffs are insane, odd time signatures are everywhere, and each band member are extremely proficient at their instruments. This is easily the greatest Russian thrash album, and one of my favorite albums of all time. Aspid proved that the Iron Curtain was removed for a reason. This is an absolute gem, Extravasation is technical/progressive thrash perfection at it's finest!

Highlights: EVERYTHING!!!