Of elves and forgotten fairytales. - 98%

PaganFear89, October 9th, 2008

Af Helvegum storms through the listener like a pagan army, leaving nothing behind but dead remains. This is the first thought that came in my mind when I first pressed "play". Hin Vordende Sod & Sø, debut album coming from norwegian band Asmegin, is released in 2003 by Napalm Records. The band was born to be a side project of some black and folk metal musicians in the norwegian underground. After various member changes, finally a solid formation entered the studios to record the debut album, which will be released during October of 2003. The band's intentions were to make a folkish black metal with loads of folk instruments, but they did something more than just folk metal. They recorded a masterpiece.

The Album: Af Helvegum is still storming through my ears, alternating fast paced riffs and female vocals. It is a short song, but it shows off the qualities of the band. Various styles, choirs, keyboards and violins play some part in the song. Bruderov Paa Hægstadtun keeps that alchemy of instruments while showing a more black metal shape in the fastest parts. This aggressivity stops at the beginning of track 3, Huldrandans - Hin Grønnkledde. This song is godlike. A superb female choir chants over acoustic guitar layers and folk instruments arpejos. The vocal lines are beautitul but aslo sad. The following two songs continues the folk-ish metal style started out at the beginning of the album. Noticeable is the choir of Over Ægirs Vidstragte Sletter, outstanding in its melody.

A baby's cry, an innocent cry heard over some dark keyboard lines lead us the second part of this album, the most intense chapter of this norwegian fairytale. While there are no big differences between these songs and the other contained in the first part, it is my duty to write about the masterpiece of the album. Blodhevn. It's the most long song on the album (more than 6 minutes) and certainly the most complex and various song that Asmegin ever composed. The violns and other folk instruments are played with a good sense of melody to create a magic atmosphere around this song. The metal part is also very good because we wind some outstanding black metal riffs and unique power metal bridges. Simply, the greatest song on the whole record.

If you like folk - black metal and you are a fan of Solefald, buy this album now. If you are looking for some dream-like music telling elvish legends and fairytales, buy this album now. If you like metal, buy this album now. This is a masterpiece.