Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Exmachete
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:09 am 

While most of us on M-A generally prefer to listen to metal it mightn't be our favorite to play. Well I know this is the case with me; I generally prefer bluesy rock/fusion type stuff. I'm not sure what is it but once the guitar is in my hands my whole perspective on music changes; it becomes all about the 'feel' and creating different moods within the song. So any one else love playing a different genre to the one they predominately listen to?

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:43 am 

I listen mainly to death and doom metal, but also some thrash, black, folk, etc.

When I play, it's usually one of my two favorite genres that I listen to as well- doom or death. (mainly doom though- my current project is doom)

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:09 am 

While my favorite genre to play is definitely metal ( black, death, power, prog, etc... ), I'm having a lot more fun learning classical pieces.

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 am 

Jazz, Funk, Blues and Classical. Jazz is very challenging as is classical and Funk and blues is so groove oriented it's very intense.

DerekBuhr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:50 pm 

My entire background prior to picking up guitar was blues improv on alto saxophone. I still to this day love to swing the eighth notes, and often or not will just pick up and play some straight up blues.

Otherwise, I'll tend to stay around a weird mesh of FASSW influenced Deathcore w/a hint of thrash/power. Even then, I still tend to swing those eighth notes...

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:52 pm 

I love to play Thrash songs mainly, specially if the riffs are catchy. On the soloing, I practice lots of Neo-Classical metal and baroque music, it's challenging to play and the result is astounding!

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:20 pm 

I enjoy playing doom and black metal the most. I feel more free as a bassist in these genres.

renegade498
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:31 pm 

I love metal
but I LOVE to play the Blues, and not just the solos.

I also am starting to enjoy some acoustic Folk guitar (getting into some fingerpickking stuff).

ya, Its more than just metal.

And my Power/Prog solo project, Event Horizon.
www.myspace.com/eventhorizon01

bucfan5252
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:44 pm 

Thrash metal and hardcore punk have always been my favorite genres to play. I like black metal and doom metal more but I don't realy consider them all that fun to play.

b0rnt0k1ll
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:49 am 

Besides metal music all I play is classical, my favourite style to play is heavy metal, less strain on the wrist.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 pm 

I play bass so I usually enjoy learning and playing some jazz songs, and of course I love to play metal. I find myself usually playing Cliff Burton's bass solos and a little bit of Death here and there, when I'm by myself.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:38 pm 

I usually play thrash/death stuff but one of my favorite things to do is smoke a big joint and improvise some bluesey, sludgey, sabbathesq metal.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:42 am 

The first place would go to either grindcore or death metal. Grindcore is a hell of a lot of fun to play, while playing death metal is a really rewarding experience in it's own right. When playing death metal you actually feel the fucking POWER, while grindcore is mostly fun, as you can screw around nearly as much as you want with the songwriting and still get nice results.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:58 pm 

I listen a wide spectrum of metal styles but the music I create as a composer is built mainly on trash and classic metal,because I grew up on such bands like Metallica,Kreator and so on. Otherwise I am able to play almost whatsoever as to metal in itself.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.