Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:56 am 

blashyrkh66 wrote:
One thing that strikes me about your original post, is that it seems like you don't have a handle on the timeline when everything occurred. I feel like you think Norway came first, then Sweden, and everyone else followed, but that couldn't be further from the truth (unless you view Lords of Chaos as a history book).

Most of the second wave of Black Metal was an international scene inspired by older bands like Venom, Possessed, Hellhammer, Sarcofago, etc. who wanted to bring back the more hardcore Satanic imagery that the Thrash scene had pretty much forgotten. There were bands all over the world who were all working on the same wavelength, with one or two leading bands in each scene (Mayhem in Norway, Beherit in Finland, Blasphemy in Canada, etc, etc). The Norwegian scene just became the most famous one because of the true crime aspect and the music was so good that it sustained interest after the initial hype. I think maybe your perception is biased with the false idea that the bands from Finland were "ripping off" the "more established" scenes like Norway and Sweden, when that is really not accurate. Perhaps if Holocausto had killed someone or burned some shit down, people would think that everyone else were ripping off the Finnish bands?

I do agree that there are tons of shitty, cheesy bands from Finland (Lordi is a great example) but I am biased towards underground Finnish Black metal. I think it was because when the scene first started, the Finns had much more variation to their sound, whereas a lot of the Norwegian and Swedish bands sounded very similar to each other to me. Beherit and Unholy especially took the music to a different place than anyone else did.

Maybe your problem with Finnish bands is not that they sound like rip-offs from other countries as you stated, but that they don't sound enough like bands from other countries. You saying you liked Oath of Black Blood and not Drawing Down The Moon gives me that impression. When I heard Drawing Down The Moon for the first time, I was blown away by how different it was from anything else, and in my opinion no one has ever captured that same essence or mood again. I can see that if you were wanting super fast METAL, like Marduk or Dark Funeral, that DDTM would not be what you were looking for, but when approached with an open mind, I can't see how people would not think it was pure genius.

There have been a lot of great Finnish Black Metal bands to follow, they've all been named here so I wont list them all again, but I think the problem is not the music, but your approach to it. Try to think of them as unique and not as rip-offs of Norway or Sweden and you may see the light (or "the dark" in this case).

I also will echo other peoples opinions about the doom bands - Thergothon, Skepticism, etc. Finland is the birthplace for Funeral Doom.

Oddly, I never really like Finnish Death Metal. I really wanted to like it because I adored the Black Metal so much, but Demigod and Demilich never struck a chord with me. Maybe I'll download Nespithe from their webpage and give it another try.

There is a uniqueness to the Finnish bands that no one else can capture. Sometimes that uniqueness is not a good thing (Lordi again), but I really think you need to try again with fresh ears and give them another try.

That's a good point you made about Finnish BM being,for the most part, inspired by some of the more less recognized BM bands like Sarcofago etc. I wasn't expecting DDTM to be fast,thrashy black metal or anything and I do admit it was exotic but I thought it was just too ambiant for me. I like it alot more than stuff by Behexen. But again,it's not just about the black metal scene from there either. I just as a whole dont care for other bands coming from the Finland. And even though they aren't real metal,I began to have this dislike from the start when I first heard of HIM. Another fallacy from that country.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:27 am 

Old Finnish Death Metal scene owns. Abhorrence, Adramelech, Amorphis, Cartilage, Convulse, Demigod, Demilich, Depravity, Disgrace, Excrement, Funebre, Mordicus, Necropsy, Sentenced, ... - the list is just endless. Try Disgrace "Grey Misery" and Mordicus "Dances From Left".

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:19 am 

I found Demilich to be pretty good,yes.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:18 am 

This is where I admit some guilty and not-so-guilty pleasures:

-Demilich, Haïve and Impaled Nazarene I genuinely like, maybe stuff like Horna and Satanic Warmaster to a lesser extent

-Sonata Arctica I'm afraid to admit I do have some liking for and have seen them three times. I only have Reckoning Night but there are other power metal bands I hate more. I'm not bothered where a band lies on the "gayness/ballsy" scale, I either feel with the riffs/melodies or I don't

-Battlelore I'm surprised I like. Of what I've heard, anyway

-Nightwish's earlier stuff I was into

-Ensiferum, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, Turisas, Wintersun are all bands I can get some basic enjoyment out of, y'know, at rock clubs and all and the odd gig if I can afford it, but I rarely go out of the way to buy a CD. Turisas' Varangian Way is about as good as this fantasy/drunken shanty metagenre can hope to get IMO

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:06 pm 

try Lordi. They are very good. That and turisas.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Mea
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:13 pm 

goatmanejy wrote:

OP wrote:
Aside from that genre,most bands that really annoy me also happen to be from Finland as well: Apocalyptica, Children of Bodom,Lordi and Finntroll. The last two especially.

^ Lol.

Well anyways, all the excellent ones have pretty much been said. Finnish funeraldoom and early death metal wins.

ikuturiso
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:21 pm 

Why would you focus on the band's nationality rather than the quality of the music in the first place? Ignoring a whole country because of mainstream bands that annoy you is just stupid.

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:46 pm 

Some finnish metal is superb. You have death metal like Demilich and then doom like Thergothon and SKepticism. Beherit are also fairly decent.

Nevermind all this Bodom shit.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:48 pm 

Mea wrote:
goatmanejy wrote:

OP wrote:
Aside from that genre,most bands that really annoy me also happen to be from Finland as well: Apocalyptica, Children of Bodom,Lordi and Finntroll. The last two especially.

^ Lol.

Well anyways, all the excellent ones have pretty much been said. Finnish funeraldoom and early death metal wins.

Sorry, didnt see there name lurking there. Still, they are good, and i would stronly advise the OP to give them a second chance.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:17 am 

ikuturiso wrote:
Why would you focus on the band's nationality rather than the quality of the music in the first place? Ignoring a whole country because of mainstream bands that annoy you is just stupid.

Because,barring a few exceptions, alot of the metal that seems uninspired,cliched or cheesy seems to be coming out of Finland which isn't exactly a large enough country to downplay it as a "microcosm of error". In other words,the United States is huge country so there will be alot of variation of good and bad. Understand?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:22 pm 

goatmanejy wrote:

Lordi?! I'd rather chew on broken glass. And besides, I don't even like that kind of metal at all. Just recommend death or thrash metal from Finland because I lost faith in Finnish bm scene.

suklaamumina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:32 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Historically,the nation falls under Russia's sphere of influence.

I just had to correct this :nono:

Finland was part of Sweden before it became a part of Russia. Things in Finland didn't change much after it was made a part of Russia; among other things, the laws and the religion remained the same. Finland was an autonomic grand duchy of Russia. Furthermore, one of the big european ideologys in the 19th century was nationalism, which spred also to Finland. That, and the fact that the Finns couldn't think of themselves as Swedish anymore, caused the national awakening of the Finns. As A.I. Arwidsson (or J.V. Snellman, I can't recall for sure) said: "We are not Swedish and we won't become Russians, so let us be Finnish". So Russia really didn't have as much influence to Finnish culture as Sweden. (Most Finns don't really like Russia so much, because of historical things like the winter war, period of oppression and stuff like that :D)

For good Finnish music, I'd try Profane Omen, Dauntless (I think it was mentioned before?), Stam1na (though they sing in Finnish), Mokoma (also in Finnish) and Verjnuarmu (in Finnish).

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:10 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Through absolutely no ideological bent,I confess that I am no fan of anything Finland puts out. Oh,there are exceptions (like the RevBiz) but it seems like alot of recommendations I get for death metal and black metal are of the Finnish bands. And few if any fail to impress me at at all. It's just an opinion,but I kind of feel bad about my prejudice against Finnish metal now since it seems that their scene seems to be behind the times so to speak or uninspired. Example:the black metal bands from there typically mimick Swede bands like Dark Funeral what with the Satanic themes which pervade which was cool back in the day but now highly looked down upon by the so called black metal elitist/purist collective;barraging and blasting metal that owes much to modern death metal IMHO. Black Crucifixion,Catamenia,Impaled Nazarene and Beherit all have failed to impress me in comparison to old Norwegian,USBM,LLN and last but not least German BM.
I am especially surprised there aren't more admirers of the latter on M-A than there are of the Finnish bands.
I admit that I am now turned off by any and all metal from Finland. But I hope this will change. Its nothing against any Finns and I am sure they have great fans but I just don't see why so many metal hard liners around here are of the Finnish persuasion.
And on another aspect of it, I could be VERY wrong but why does it seem that the country overcompensates for their extreme metal relative to the Scandinavian scene? It just seems like they are like that younger kid or younger brother that wants to piss with the big boys. And it's not like Finland is part of Scandinavia geographically or culturally anyhow. Historically,the nation falls under Russia's sphere of influence.
Some peripheral topics to guide the thread better are:

Why you think Finnish metal is or should be superior to other scenes?

Do you have any other recoomendations of any metal genre by Finnish bands that might change my mind?

Why is it percieved that the Tuska Open Air is stealing Wacken's thunder?

How is it that alot of the famous metal bands who are a little wacky i.e. cello metal and cheese folk(the much maligned Finntroll) typcally come out of Finland? Is it the indiginous Ugric influences?

Finland and her metal is FUCKING AWESOME.

Listen to some Ensiferum.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:07 pm 

suklaamumina wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Finland was part of Sweden before it became a part of Russia. Things in Finland didn't change much after it was made a part of Russia; among other things, the laws and the religion remained the same. Finland was an autonomic grand duchy of Russia. Furthermore, one of the big european ideologys in the 19th century was nationalism, which spred also to Finland. That, and the fact that the Finns couldn't think of themselves as Swedish anymore, caused the national awakening of the Finns. As A.I. Arwidsson (or J.V. Snellman, I can't recall for sure) said: "We are not Swedish and we won't become Russians, so let us be Finnish". So Russia really didn't have as much influence to Finnish culture as Sweden. (Most Finns don't really like Russia so much, because of historical things like the winter war, period of oppression and stuff like that :D)

For good Finnish music, I'd try Profane Omen, Dauntless (I think it was mentioned before?), Stam1na (though they sing in Finnish), Mokoma (also in Finnish) and Verjnuarmu (in Finnish).

Well,culturally as far as linguistically, the Finnish language does not actually classify under the Indo-European family despite Finland being a part of Europe. Rather it is of an isolate group that is thought to have derived from the upper regions of present day Russia.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:22 pm 

There's a reason Finland's nickname is "Winland".

It's because they make great music. Finntroll and Impaled Nazarene are a couple of my favorite bands.

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:38 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
suklaamumina wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Well,culturally as far as linguistically, the Finnish language does not actually classify under the Indo-European family despite Finland being a part of Europe. Rather it is of an isolate group that is thought to have derived from the upper regions of present day Russia.

What is your point?

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:54 pm 

Metal > Linguistics

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:01 pm 

MushroomStamp wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
suklaamumina wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

What is your point?

I'm just pointing it out is all. You learn something new everyday.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:04 pm 

Mark777 wrote:
Metal > Linguistics

You are absolutely 100% correct. Try this one though...
Me > You

suklaamumina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:08 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
suklaamumina wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Well the Finnish language is a Finno-Ugric language and not related to Russian, which is a East Slavic language. :tongue: :D

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:34 am 

suklaamumina wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
suklaamumina wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Well the Finnish language is a Finno-Ugric language and not related to Russian, which is a East Slavic language. :tongue: :D

I know but I was just pointing out where it supposedly dervied from geographically.

suklaamumina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:04 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
suklaamumina wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
suklaamumina wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

I know but I was just pointing out where it supposedly dervied from geographically.

Yeah, but that doesn't really have anything to do with whatever influence Russia have had of Finnish culture, does it? o_O

oneinfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:55 am 

I was in Finland this summer and I think I found out the reason why so many cheesy, goofy and uninspired bands come from there. The reason is that metal there seems to be much more accepted by the mainstream media than in other countries. They played metal on the radio, even small record stores had a large variety of metal records, even some pretty old and underground stuff and maybe 10% of the people walking around on the streets were metalheads. Here in Germany you won't hear any metal on the radio, except maybe in a late night show, you won't find any old or underground records in small record stores, but only the newest -core crap and mainstream metal and there might be 1% metalheads among the people on the streets. But as we all know, mainstream success often equals shittyness, and that's the reason for all the shitty bands from Finland.

However, I'm far away from condemning finnish metal, as there are many good bands there too (especially finnish doom metal is superb), and i would not say that the finnish scene is superior or inferior to any other scene.

Wrong.

Hollywars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:24 pm 

This Demilich band is good. I also don't like metalcore. I used to not really like any Finnish bands. It's kind of the same with Japanese bands, I've never really heard one I liked. It seems to me that most japanese bands are kind of noise oriented also.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:33 pm 

Hollywars wrote:
This Demilich band is good. I also don't like metalcore. I used to not really like any Finnish bands. It's kind of the same with Japanese bands, I've never really heard one I liked. It seems to me that most japanese bands are kind of noise oriented also.

Noise oriented how? Most of the really good japanese bands I know of are thrash (or close), not noise/metal (assuming that you by "noise oriented" is talking about the genre noise, and not referring to a harsch sound in general).

Also, finnish old death metal and funeral doom rules. Finnish metalcore? I honestly haven't heard any, unless you count the likes of COB as metalcore (I'm not that interested in hearing it either, but there you go).
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:41 pm 

blashyrkh66 wrote:
One thing that strikes me about your original post, is that it seems like you don't have a handle on the timeline when everything occurred. I feel like you think Norway came first, then Sweden, and everyone else followed, but that couldn't be further from the truth (unless you view Lords of Chaos as a history book).

Most of the second wave of Black Metal was an international scene inspired by older bands like Venom, Possessed, Hellhammer, Sarcofago, etc. who wanted to bring back the more hardcore Satanic imagery that the Thrash scene had pretty much forgotten. There were bands all over the world who were all working on the same wavelength, with one or two leading bands in each scene (Mayhem in Norway, Beherit in Finland, Blasphemy in Canada, etc, etc). The Norwegian scene just became the most famous one because of the true crime aspect and the music was so good that it sustained interest after the initial hype. I think maybe your perception is biased with the false idea that the bands from Finland were "ripping off" the "more established" scenes like Norway and Sweden, when that is really not accurate. Perhaps if Holocausto had killed someone or burned some shit down, people would think that everyone else were ripping off the Finnish bands?

I do agree that there are tons of shitty, cheesy bands from Finland (Lordi is a great example) but I am biased towards underground Finnish Black metal. I think it was because when the scene first started, the Finns had much more variation to their sound, whereas a lot of the Norwegian and Swedish bands sounded very similar to each other to me. Beherit and Unholy especially took the music to a different place than anyone else did.

Maybe your problem with Finnish bands is not that they sound like rip-offs from other countries as you stated, but that they don't sound enough like bands from other countries. You saying you liked Oath of Black Blood and not Drawing Down The Moon gives me that impression. When I heard Drawing Down The Moon for the first time, I was blown away by how different it was from anything else, and in my opinion no one has ever captured that same essence or mood again. I can see that if you were wanting super fast METAL, like Marduk or Dark Funeral, that DDTM would not be what you were looking for, but when approached with an open mind, I can't see how people would not think it was pure genius.

There have been a lot of great Finnish Black Metal bands to follow, they've all been named here so I wont list them all again, but I think the problem is not the music, but your approach to it. Try to think of them as unique and not as rip-offs of Norway or Sweden and you may see the light (or "the dark" in this case).

I also will echo other peoples opinions about the doom bands - Thergothon, Skepticism, etc. Finland is the birthplace for Funeral Doom.

Oddly, I never really like Finnish Death Metal. I really wanted to like it because I adored the Black Metal so much, but Demigod and Demilich never struck a chord with me. Maybe I'll download Nespithe from their webpage and give it another try.

There is a uniqueness to the Finnish bands that no one else can capture. Sometimes that uniqueness is not a good thing (Lordi again), but I really think you need to try again with fresh ears and give them another try.

Holocausto is from Brazil.

Other than that, good post. I think the Finnish scene is vastly underrated bearing some of the most unique death and black metal bands to ever spawn from Scandinavia.

Besides the obvious Beherit, these stand out for me:

Hail - Some of the most barbaric and epic black metal I've ever heard. Inheritance of Evilness sounds like it was made in ancient times, that's the kind of feeling you get from this band.

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus and Privilege of Evil are the only ones I really like but they managed to bring such a "battle-esque" sound to death metal.

Convulse - World Without God has one of the most wickedly evil guitar tones and the less-than-perfect production adds to the feeling of being in a graveyard of some sort.

Demilich - Lots of people bitch about the "croaked" vocals but they never bothered me. I always thought they suited well with the very odd riffing displayed on Nespithe. Definitely one of the more unique death metal bands out there.

Demigod - Everything after their first one was crap but Slumber of Sullen Eyes has gained quite a cult following due to its utter awesomeness.

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:50 pm 

I definitely agree with the OP, but there are quite a few bands from Finland that I love, Rotten Sound, Beherit, Insomnium, Swallow the Sun and Callisto.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:53 pm 

ObscureInfinity wrote:

I'm assuming he's referring to Nuclear Holocausto, a prominent member in the finnish black metal scene who played in Beherit.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:38 am 

The Finnish Death Metal scene in the early 90's was probably the best DM scene ever in all terms possible: quality, talent, originality... you name it. Each and every band had a personality of its own, very much unlike the Swedish scene, where there were too many bands trying to capture the seminal sound of Nihilist/Entombed (some good exceptions though).

There's also a good bunch of awesome Doom acts, old and newer, such as Skepticism, Thergothon, Shape Of Despair, Tyranny, My Shameful, Umbra Nihil, early Swallow The Sun, early Rapture...
http://www.facebook.com/memento.mori.label
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChHTHj ... 9UqrABF7WA

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:39 pm 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
ObscureInfinity wrote:

I'm assuming he's referring to Nuclear Holocausto, a prominent member in the finnish black metal scene who played in Beherit.

That guy is Brazilian? But I do agree with a poster who did state that alot of the old Finnish bm bands take their influence from qute a few S. American thrash/black bands like Sarcofago.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:41 pm 

Total Devastation hasn't been mentioned yet. Different from the more softer, melodic blackish metal. More trashy/power. Excellent first album "Roadmap of Pain". Downhill from there. Second album has one spectacular song. Listening now to some some songs from their more recent album, sounds alright.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:20 pm 

I have a strong dislike for Finnish Black Metal which I've never been able to explain why. There are exceptions however, Clandistine Blaze are amazing.

netniwk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:24 pm 

I personaly love Satanic warmaster and anything with him involved(sargeist,horna,blutrache..) and similar bands like clandestine blaze or behexen

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:34 pm 

iAm wrote:
I have a strong dislike for Finnish Black Metal which I've never been able to explain why. There are exceptions however, Clandistine Blaze are amazing.

For once, it's refreshing to have that exception not be Beherit.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 pm 

I don't like Beherit, Satanic Warmaster and Clandestine Blaze are really all I enjoy from Finland. I do love a lot of the Finnish Hardcore and Crust though.

Hockeymask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:13 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Unholy_Asar wrote:
ObscureInfinity wrote:

That guy is Brazilian? But I do agree with a poster who did state that alot of the old Finnish bm bands take their influence from qute a few S. American thrash/black bands like Sarcofago.

No, Nuclear Holocausto from Beherit is not brazilian, there is a band called Holocausto from brazil. People are just confusing eachother...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:48 pm 

And as far as another Finnish band, what's up with Apocalyptica? These guys are getting major run. Guesting on Amon Amarth's newest, backing up Rammstein and opening for Metallica in Dallas. Not bad for what started as a gimmicky cover band. I don't like how some cover bands get so much hype. I know Apocalyptica does an original schtick but the Iron Maidens opened for KISS. How stupid is that.

freezingeclipse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:23 pm 

Here's another example of a Finnish band ripping off a style from a different country. Rapture's Futile, even though it is a wonderful album in itself, is total Katatonia (Sweden) Brave Murder Day era worship, and therefore is not all that original.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:29 pm 

I can't say that I've heard them. That actually sounds kind of interesting though.

Ulflesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:54 am 

I trully worship the old skull death metal scene from Finland.
I think it was the best DM scene, along with the swedish one, because of the obscure and dark sound created in their music.
Materials like early demigod, convulse, funebre, purtenance, depravity, mythos, god forsaken, mordicus or vomiturition comes right now to mind.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next