Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:04 pm 

Have you ever listened to a song/album, and thought to yourself, how the fuck could someone possibly sing that bad? Or was there one particular section of a song that made you really cringe? Post about it here.

Recently, my "cringe spot" was Evasions by Madder Mortem. Also, please don't mention obviously bad vocalists like Dani Filth. We all know he sucks.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:10 pm 

The dude from Protest The Hero, my dick becomes inverted and I grow a vagina every time I hear him.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:13 pm 

Every "angelic" female singer ever.

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:13 pm 

The vocalist from arch enemy. I cant stand her.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:17 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
The dude from Protest The Hero, my dick becomes inverted and I grow a vagina every time I hear him.

So, how many vagina's do you have now? :lol:

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:17 pm 

InfernoNecrosis wrote:
Aeonblade wrote:

So, how many vagina's do you have now? :lol:

Too many, can't say it's all bad though.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:18 pm 

I think at this point I can tolerate just about any vocalist I come across, but I still can't fully listen to later-era Death. Chuck's voice just really grates on me in a way that I can't stand, then again, I enjoy Sean Killian and Alan Tecchio, so maybe it's something else :scratch:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:26 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:

This, and Tarja Turunen of ex-Nightwish has some appallingly bad moments too.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Aeonblade wrote:

I haven't listened to Nightwish incredibly much, so I'm wondering what these bad moments with her vocals are since I have yet to hear them?

ScaryMonsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:27 pm 

Silencer sucks balls as does "Sign of Evil Existence" Rotting Christ. He sounds like Smeagol for God's sake.

Also I cannot stand Maniac from Mayhem, especially "Grand Declaration of War" that album is like Black Metal Broadway.

http://www.myspace.com/artanor

Artanor

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:30 pm 

InfernoNecrosis wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Aeonblade wrote:

I haven't listened to Nightwish incredibly much, so I'm wondering what these bad moments with her vocals are since I have yet to hear them?

I haven't heard all of Nightwish's old albums, but really, it's just the over-dramatic way in which she sings overall, about half the time it's annoying as fuck. She's good when she tones it down for the ballads though.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:32 pm 

King Diamond.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:33 pm 

Silencer is probably the only band that makes me literally cringe. If some guy sang totally out of tune, then it would also do that, but I haven't heard one yet.

Last edited by Kruel on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:34 pm 

ScaryMonsters wrote:
Silencer.

Oh yes, how could I forget? Nattramn sounds like a pathetic little child with his annoying whiny shrieks. Terrible.

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:36 pm 

w0Lf wrote:
King Diamond.

Oh yeah, i can't stand his vocals, he always manages to make me literally cringe.

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:38 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
ScaryMonsters wrote:
Silencer.

Oh yes, how could I forget? Nattramn sounds like a pathetic little child with his annoying whiny shrieks. Terrible.

Pretty much.

Darren White (And a lot of other doom death singers) have this tone and technique that sounds kind of silly if you aren't into the stuff that's being played. At times, I had trouble taking his vocals seriously, but I would assume it's an acquired taste. The guy from Vio-Lence used to sound completely retarded to me as well for some reason (I guess it was my lack of experience with different metal singers) and I listened to them again nearly a year after first hearing them and thought "What was wrong with his voice, again?"

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:42 pm 

The vocalist of Nitberg is really bad.
Oh and most brutal death metal band as well as burping (cock and ball torture style) and pig squeals. And James Hetfield on st Anger.

:edit: what happened to Nitberg's page? I had a review (my old account) up for a release that no longer exists.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Last edited by Visionary on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:44 pm 

Antti Boman of Demilich.
I know a lot of people like his really low growls and singing, but I just can't stand them.
I always cringe when I hear his singing, not out of embarassment, but in pain and annoyance.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:51 pm 

Manic616 wrote:
w0Lf wrote:
King Diamond.

Oh yeah, i can't stand his vocals, he always manages to make me literally cringe.

Wow. I know I often find myself laughing hysterically at him, but I still like his vocals.

Punk singers such as the Sex Pistols are the worst for me, it's as though they're trying too hard to sound tough and hardcore.

And pig squeals, of course. They can be OK in small doses, but when it's the main vocal technique, it gets fucking annoying. :mad:
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:52 pm 

Eh? I love The Sex Pistols' vocals. :lol:

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

:lol: I really don't. They just get on my nerves to the point of me not being able to listen to the band.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:54 pm 

foz45139 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

:lol: I really don't. They just get on my nerves to the point of me not being able to listen to the band.

I can get that, but Rotten was definitely not trying to sound tough. More snotty and whiny.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:55 pm 

That douchebag from Nevermore. Good god he's bad, it just sounds like he's constantly trying waaaaayyyyy too hard.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:58 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
I can get that, but Rotten was definitely not trying to sound tough. More snotty and whiny.

Yeah, that describes it better.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:03 pm 

Guys, please stop the SP discussion. PS they are good. End of story. :P

I think Mark Jansen's growls are pretty weak. Not something devastatingly horrible, but he needs some work.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:04 pm 

Grunge singers, but that's a little outside the realm of metal, so I'm going to say Rob Zombie. His singing isn't rapping, but it comes very close, and it has the same "AAWWW YEYAH" attitude that turns me off to 90% of rap.

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:04 pm 

M. Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold has to be THE WORST vocalist I've ever heard. ZERO regard for tune, key, melody, pitch, whateverthefuck, he sucks shit. And he is a giant tool as well. What a faggot.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:07 pm 

@ previous two posts.
Isn't this the Metal discussion?
Niether Rob Zombie or A7X is metal.
InfernoNecrosis wrote:
Also, please don't mention obviously bad vocalists like Dani Filth. We all know he sucks.

Or in this case M. Shadows.

Last edited by hippiedrow on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:09 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Every "angelic" female singer ever.

Tarja Turunen is an amazing singer. Unfortunately, Nightwish never were a great band, merely good, and now they're a symphonic mallcore band with a pop singer.

Singers who irritate me:

Tom Araya - He doesn't sing, he doesn't growl, he doesn't make crazy inhuman noises. All he does is yell at the same volume and pitch, on and on and on. His voice isn't even scary, it's just some angry man blathering on and on and on.

Gene Adam - Shagrath imitating Rob Halford while inhaling helium. He ruined Iced Earth's debut album all by himself.

Tony Kakko - The accent alone makes him nearly unbearable.

James Hetfield (Reload and onwards): Shoot him again, he ain't dead yet!

Matt Barlow (during ballads): This guy is technically a decent singer, but he cripples himself with his incessant overacting. It's especially bad during Iced Earth's ballads, where he hams it up even more than usual and sobs out the lyrics with his mangina on his sleeve.

Steven Wilson and Maynard James Keenan: As flat as Kansas, as thin as paper, and as processed as Velveeta.

Tom Englund: What this guy does is less singing than mumbling and droning like that boring college professor whose classes you fell asleep in every day.

Abbath: The human Dalek. EXTERMINATE ALL CHRISTIANS. EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE.

Phil Anselmo: I hate him not only because he sounds like a gorilla on meth, but because he had a great metal singing voice and threw it all away because it wasn't manly and "tuff" enough for Pantera's '90s "penis compensation metal" sound.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

The_Evil_Hat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:09 pm 

Silencer

nubsupreme
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:10 pm 

As mentioned before Dani Filth, he has the most god-awful vocals I've ever heard.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:13 pm 

nubsupreme wrote:
As mentioned before Dani Filth, he has the most god-awful vocals I've ever heard.

Yeah, as mentioned by the OP to not mention him.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm 

I can't stand Alexi Laiho shrieking. His voice was at his best during "Hatebreeder", but every single album they've released (both before and after) features the YOUWWH-howls I've always hated.

The main reason I rarely listen to Legion-era Marduk albums these days is that I've grown massively tired of his vocals. It's not so much that I can't stand it, more like I can't stay awake while hearing it... I mean, can you shriek in a more monotonous way than that?

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Gene Adam - Shagrath imitating Rob Halford while inhaling helium. He ruined Iced Earth's debut album all by himself.

WHAT DO I SEEEEEEEAAAAAUUUGGHH!!!!!!!

I actually don't mind him that much... then again, I stomach Dani Filth.

Most brutal death/whatevergrind vocalist that devote themselves to sound as close as possible as a clogged sewer pipe do annoy me.

Alexi Laiho can get pretty damn irritating with his yapping, and his attempts at clean singing are mostly a ticket for disaster.

Speaking of friends and relatives, Kimberly G(r)oss is horrid. The first Sinergy album wouldn't be that bad for an occasional spin, but goddamn I can't stand her.

Oh, and sorry for deviating from the "no obviously shitty vocalists" remark one sec, but I just HAVE to share my feelings of utter horror after having been exposed to Bring Me The Horizon. Olivia Sykes is now at the top of my "how NOT to do extreme vocals" list. And I can actually enjoy the occasional deathcore band, which says something. Oh well, their music is shit too, so I'm not missing anything.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:30 pm 

I really don't like the high-pitched screams near the end of Dark Angel's "Merciless Death." It sounds kind of cool when Destruction does it on, say, "Curse the Gods," but something about the former just sounds plain bad.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

nubsupreme
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:30 pm 

Kruel wrote:
nubsupreme wrote:

Yeah, as mentioned by the OP to not mention him.

My bad

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:37 pm 

Lance King is another one, very whiny and annoying, same for Henning Basse, terrible vocalist.

KhazaDDooM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:45 pm 

I really can't stand the vocals on Ordo Ad Chao.Just makes me wanna cry.

TheVeilOfMayo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:49 pm 

invoked wrote:
That douchebag from Nevermore. Good god he's bad, it just sounds like he's constantly trying waaaaayyyyy too hard.

I love Warrel Dane's vocals...

James LaBrie from Dream Theater is pretty awful, given that he always tries to overshoot his vocal range. His voice is like a tough stain on your favorite shirt. No matter how much you try to get rid of it, you can never succeed, and it remains there as a constant point of annoyance.

Leif Knashaug from Twisted into Form has the same problem. They're a great band musically, but too bad his voice pisses all over it.

Niels Adams from Prostitute Disfigurement sounds like a vacuum. Not annoying enough to discourage me from listening, but still pretty awful sounding.

And even though Martyr is in my top 5 of favorite bands, it's a rare day when I appreciate Dan Mongrain's vocal contributions to the band, especially on their newest album.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:54 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
@ previous two posts.
Isn't this the Metal discussion?
Niether Rob Zombie or A7X is metal.
InfernoNecrosis wrote:
Also, please don't mention obviously bad vocalists like Dani Filth. We all know he sucks.

Or in this case M. Shadows.

Rob Zombie isn't on the Archives, but White Zombie is.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next