Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Corimngul
Freddled Gruntbuggly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 am 

206 wrote:
If supernatural being had knowledge of every particle and its motion relative to all other particles than of course predictions could accurately be made... and I imagine that being one very bored supernatural being.

I like the Miracle Paradox as proof against determinism. A miracle would disprove determinism because the very act of altering a preset course would be proof that the course was set in error - and since the course was set by a perfect being, that error would invalidate the perfect being. And reality disappears in a puff of logic.

I object to the idea that the preset course must have been set by a perfect being or that itself must be a perfect route.
Because I hate ID 100369. Numbers 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 are incomplete and I hate it!

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 pm 

Mystics and sages have long maintained that there exists an interconnecting cosmic field at the roots of reality that conserves and conveys information, a field known as the Akashic record. Recent discoveries in vacuum physics show that this Akashic Field is real and has its equivalent in science’s zero-point field that underlies space itself. This field consists of a subtle sea of fluctuating energies from which all things arise: atoms and galaxies, stars and planets, living beings, and even consciousness. This zero-point Akashic Field is the constant and enduring memory of the universe. It holds the record of all that has happened on Earth and in the cosmos and relates it to all that is yet to happen.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:21 pm 

Kruel wrote:

So, what are your thoughts, and is there a truly random event?

I think not. Correct me if I've misunderstood some philosophical principle, but I think that for every probable outcome of any event, there is an infinite number of possible opposite events occurring. If an unlikely or 'random' event can be imagined, it has occurred at some point and the chances of it occurring again are 100%.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2