Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:57 pm 

Okay, I don't know where the other thread went, so here's a new one. Seen any movies lately? If so, how did you like it? Feel free to direct any and all movie related chat here.

Hard Rain - 4.5/5

There isn't much here that you haven't seen before, but who the fuck needs that? This reminds me a whole lot of Die Hard 3 in the rain, and such a killer setting makes for, of course, an equally killer movie. Explosions, gunfights, a pretty, buxom-heavy lady, and the aforementioned unique and thrilling setting make for a great popcorn action movie, so if you like that kind of thing, you wouldn't do wrong picking this up. The villains could've used a little work, but otherwise, this is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a while.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:05 pm 

Be Kind Rewind - 4/5 or so.

Friend of mine just randomly started playing this when a bunch of us were at his house and well, it turned out to be a fairly enjoyable movie. It was pretty odd and very original I'd say. Stars Jack Black and Mos Def.
Quote:
Jerry is a junkyard worker who attempts to sabotage a power plant he suspects of causing his headaches. But he inadvertently causes his brain to become magnetized, leading to the unintentional destruction of all the movies in his friend's store. In order to keep the store's one loyal customer, an elderly lady with a tenuous grasp on reality, the pair re-create a long line of films including The Lion King, Rush Hour, Ghostbusters, When We Were Kings, Driving Miss Daisy, and Robocop, putting themselves and their townspeople into it. They become the biggest stars in their neighborhood. Written by Anonymous

A small VHS only video store faces foreclosure in a poor community. While watching the store for the owner, a blundering employee's friend accidentally erases all of the tapes. In order to keep their blunder from becoming apparent, the duo of Mos Def and Jack Black begin remaking the films themselves using homemade special effects and outdated filming techniques. Written by RSTX

Basically it's about stuff like this.

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:18 pm 

man I hope there is a version of the thread floating on someones hard drive - there was a lot of stuff in there I need to copy...can anyone help?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:20 pm 

The Cook. 3/5

The best shitty-movie I've ever seen. Horror film about a foreign cook that hunts down some college babes.

Jesus Camp. 4/5

Documentary about Pentecostal nutbags and how they brainwash children. Good movie, and made me hate Jesus even more.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:23 pm 

True Romance - 5/5

Scripted by Tarantino, from a while back. Black comedy about a nerdy guy who hooks up with a hooker, murders her pimp and steals a suitcase of coke. They go on the run from vengeful mafia, while the cops also close in.

Phenomenal. Dialogue is great, and the cast....

**WEEPS WITH EXCITEMENT**

Christian Slater, Samuel L Jackson, Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, James Gandolfini, and more

HIGHLY recommended

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:28 pm 

Never even heard of that movie, but it looks pretty awesome.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:30 pm 

Just watched the film Chopper, one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. If you've lived in, visited Australia or are a convict yourself it's definately worth seeing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:31 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:

Yeah, seriously, wtf how did I miss this.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:51 pm 

I Spit On Your Grave: 1/5

I wanted to watch this one for some time now, and I've seen people talk about it here, so my expectations were kind of high. I've seen many exploitation movies before, but this one was really awful. The actors, in particular, were beyond terrible. The rape scenes were not 'effective' at all, and the whole revenge thing was done in a very bad way.
The dialogue sucks, I couldn't even hear what the actors were saying in some parts of the movie.

The only part I liked is when the girl was getting back to her house after the rape.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:15 pm 

District B13 (written by Luc Besson, the director of Leon)

Awesome French action movie, tons of style, fresh and exciting.

In Bruges

Interesting movie, probably Colin Farrell's best role. Two hitmen go to Bruges, Belgium to keep their heads low after a job. I won't spoil, but I liked it a lot. The humor was nice and dry and fit the sometimes bleak circumstances.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

antzology
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:20 am 

Just Watched Jumper... Was okay, a bit lame and pointless, Samuel L Jackson wasn't completely awesome, what's up with that? 6/10

Harsh Times... AWESOME, I fucking love Christian Bale. 9/10
The Machinist... Again, Christian Bale is wicked.
American Psycho... Yeah, you get the picture, just include heaps of Christian Bale movies right here.

Wristcutters... A Love Story. Had it's funny moments, it's happy moments, and mostly sad ones. It's about where people go when they commit suicide (fantasy). The Russian dude is awesome.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:

Yeah, seriously, wtf how did I miss this.

Let me know what you think, I think it's phenomenal

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:46 pm 

Can we use this for recs? Anyway recommend me some lesser known war films.

BadGuyZero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:30 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Just watched the film Chopper, one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. If you've lived in, visited Australia or are a convict yourself it's definitely worth seeing.

Cheers, big ears!

As for your request for war film recommendations...search for a film called Overlord directed by Stuart Cooper. It was made in the mid-70s and tells the tale of a British soldier from boot camp up through his involvement in Operation: Overlord which was the Brits part of the D-Day invasion. Cooper utilized actual combat footage shot by British soldiers and blends it seamlessly with the story he filmed.
I also recommend They Were Expendable which is a John Wayne WWII film about Navy PT boat personnel. John Ford directed so that's reason enough to see it right there. It's pretty nihilistic especially for a time when war films were very "rah rah USA!"

Anyone wanting a crash course in the world of cinema that will send you searching for some great flicks you likely haven't heard of should search for the following two titles:
A Personal Journey With Martin Scorsese Through American Movies [in which the acclaimed director takes the viewer on a tour through his favorite films and the ones that greatly influenced him] and Z Channel - A Magnificent Obsession [about a guy that was the programmer for a regional cable film channel]. You'll be exposed to about 200-250 films between the two. Everything from classics to lowbrow kicks.

Daathian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:07 pm 

Eraserhead

4/5

Downright fucked up. Its like a bad acid trip on film. If you ever want to see something completely disturbing, watch this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:49 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Can we use this for recs?

Yeah, anything to do with movies. ;)

The Onion Movie

No rating, because I am honestly flabbergasted. I mean, this is even more retarded than Kung Pow, and yet it is also, at the same time, a near paragon of good comedy. Never conventional or formulaic, this is just a great li'l bag of fun for anyone who isn't offended easily. Get it.

Oh, and of all the Christian Bale movies I've seen, the best one is by far The Prestige.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Okay, I don't know where the other thread went, so here's a new one. Seen any movies lately? If so, how did you like it? Feel free to direct any and all movie related chat here.

Hard Rain - 4.5/5

4.5? That seems too high.

High And Low - 4.5/5

The best or Kurosawas non-samurai flicks.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:02 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Hard Rain - 4.5/5

4.5? That seems too high.

High And Low - 4.5/5

The best or Kurosawas non-samurai flicks.

What can I say, I enjoyed it quite a lot. I thought about lowering it, but that would've been disproportionate to how much I actually liked the movie, despite the villains being lame or whatever.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:45 pm 

Kung Fu Panda
3/5

it's a family movie, but it was really entertaining. I was dragged into the movie by some friends, but overall; it was a pretty cool movie.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:57 pm 

The Abandoned 2/5

Think of 1408 only not in a hotel room on an island in Russia. It could've been so good, it should've been great. Yet in moments that could've made me jump or smile they messed it up. Camera shots (not switching to certain angles very well or quickly enough etc.) and the overall execution of the clever plot (you can tell it was based off the book 1408 (it came out before the movie 1408)) was lackluster. The acting, script, and locations were all great, but the plot and the poor execution of it through the camera work killed the film. I can't recommend it unless you haven't seen 1408 as I saw 1408 first and that may have killed "The Abandoned" for me.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:08 pm 

I just finished From Beyond after it was brought up in that medical movie thread and really enjoyed it; the first half was kind of slow but the rest totally made up for it. This was done by the same group that did Re-Animator a year earlier and the main character is played by Jeffrey Combs (Herbert West).

I'd say the story itself was kind of whatever, didn't really do much, but the special effects were really good. It reminded me of The Thing at some parts and there's a couple of really awesome brain-sucked-through-eye-socket scenes :lol:

Not as good as R-A, but definitely worth your time if you're into gore-heavy horror movies from the 80's that doesn't take themselves too seriously.

3/5

Now I'll start up True Romance...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:59 pm 

I just saw The Mist. Rather surprised that it was pretty good. I like it!

Shiroryuu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:43 pm 

Just came back from watching 3 movies, Kung Fu Panda, Don't Mess With The Zohan, and Bleach: Memories of Nobody (Japanese anime movie). I really loved Kung Fu Panda and Don't Mess With The Zohan. Kung Fu Panda is a family movie as some guy said before me, but I still enjoyed it. Don't Mess with the Zohan is also pretty awesome, makes fun of the whole Israel vs. Palestine conflict and all. Bleach: Memories of Nobody was a movie that I did not even expect to see today. I simply saw it on the menu of available movies, I was like "Hey, Bleach: Memories... oh wait! This is a movie of the Japanese anime Bleach? I love that show! I'm totally watching it!", and so I sneaked in and saw it. Totally loved it since I'm a big fan of the anime and manga.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:52 pm 

Anyone seen the new Hulk yet? I'm thinking of seeing it but not sure really.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:55 pm 

I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:14 am 

So I'm probably going to see The Happening this weekend. It will probably suck but I'm a Shyamalan fanboy and my curiosity always gets the best of me...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 am 

You're a fanboy but thinking it will suck is your initial response...? Tell me how that works.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:17 am 

Well I mean, I've loved every one of his movies except his latest Lady in the Water. I figured that's enough to qualify me as a fanboy? But I guess I'm just hoping this movie will be a return to form...

..bah, I don't know, I need some sleep.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:04 am 

I watched 'The Happening' yesterday. What i didnt like about the movie was that the so called 'suspense' starting off right from the 5th minute, there was no-buildup as such. Well, IMO, it got a lil redundant after sometime. Apart from that, it was decent movie. I'd probably give it a 6/10 rating.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:49 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Can we use this for recs? Anyway recommend me some lesser known war films.

Come and See. Its not for everyone though....

Lord_Malice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:02 pm 

I just saw The Simpsons Movie. Never really been a Simpsons fan but i liked it. Funny as hell and it did have it's cheesy moments like Marge's videotape message but it wasn't really meant to be serious.

I'd never really gotten introduced to The Simpsons and i couldn't believe there'd never been a movie version before, since the TV show is popular and all. Can't wait for the sequel.

Chromillusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:56 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I just saw The Mist. Rather surprised that it was pretty good. I like it!

I just saw this too. It was good up until the end. It felt like they tried to hard to come up with the most shocking movie ending ever, and ended up making something so overly dark that it was just dumb. I started laughing because it was exactly like a joke ending my friends and I came up with to throw on the end of a movie to just ruin it.

They should have ended the movie when they ran out of gas to give it a less ridiculous finish.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:54 pm 

HULK SMASH!!! Just saw it. Excellent. Highly recommend.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:31 pm 

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 5+/5

This is brilliance at it's finest. Dramatic, emotional, deep and at times even hilarious, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind dazzles the viewer from start to finish. Jim Carrey delivers what is perhaps his best performance ever, and Kate Winslet is also quite believable - and quite a looker, too. This film will hit hard in spots where most other romantic dramas only dabble, and its portrayal of a realistic middle-class couple is only the least of its many wonders. Truly a masterpiece.

Friday the 13th - 4/5

Everyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the last 30-odd years knows this one. It isn't the best of the Friday movies; that honor goes to the epochal 4th installment, but it is quite a spectacle in itself, and a whole lot of fun, too. If you're in the mood to turn your brain off and watch a good old 80s slasher, this is as good of a pick as any.

"Ch ch ch ha ha ha..."

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:39 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 5+/5

This is brilliance at it's finest. Dramatic, emotional, deep and at times even hilarious, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind dazzles the viewer from start to finish. Jim Carrey delivers what is perhaps his best performance ever, and Kate Winslet is also quite believable - and quite a looker, too. This film will hit hard in spots where most other romantic dramas only dabble, and its portrayal of a realistic middle-class couple is only the least of its many wonders. Truly a masterpiece.

Awesome movie. I just bought it at Best Buy last week too.

Samapico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:24 pm 

Just watched Transformers

Not the new one... but the 1986 animated one!
:D

That movie is metal as fuck

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:38 pm 

I really enjoyed The Incredible Hulk.

Edward Norton was fantastic.

EzraWeeden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:19 pm 

[quote="Daathian"]Eraserhead[quote]
Fucking hated Eraserhead. It was the biggest pile of shit movie I've ever seen. IMO.

Diary of the Dead - Better than Land of the Dead, but nowhere near as awesome as the first 3 of the series. Good fun though. 6/10

Rambo - Wow. Rented this expecting it to suck terrible, and I was pleasantly surpised. One of the most testosterone filled movies I've ever seen. Completely fucking awesome. 8/10

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:24 pm 

So I went to Best Buy today (again) and bought 5 great DVD's, all of which I've seen but didn't yet have in my collection:

Into the Wild
Lucky # Slevin
The Mist
Jurassic Park I
The Machinist

:drool:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:27 pm 

The Machinist is a good movie. Maybe a bit too close to Fight Club in some aspects, but it is still very good. Christian Bale being the main reason.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 818  Next