Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:42 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
But yeah, I agree with your point. It would be a little unfair to just say power metal is more technical than heavy. I think instead of that I should just say (I usually) believe it's faster and sometimes heavier stuff than traditional.

I think that's right. Other than that, I agree with failsafeman that PM tends to be somewhat difficult to define perfectly because it has a lot to do with atmosphere.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Oblivion (US) - Quest For Power. hell yeah nice stuff. Fuckle berries, this is like what Sanctuary should've been like. Production's a little cloudy but tolerable if you like old stuff. Definitely some true USPM here. The first track fucking slays, well they all do! I think this is probably the best find out of this random bunch, if only the production were a little better.

Man, I just checked out that demo and I have to say you weren't kidding. That shit SLAYS.

As for what I've been checking out lately, Stone Soldier's Invincible Metal demo is pretty cool, a bit generic blue collar USPM with a touch of thrash. The singer's got one of those awesome mid-range voices, though, and he even sounds kinda like JD Kimball from Omen.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:40 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Oblivion (US) - Quest For Power. hell yeah nice stuff. Fuckle berries, this is like what Sanctuary should've been like. Production's a little cloudy but tolerable if you like old stuff. Definitely some true USPM here. The first track fucking slays, well they all do! I think this is probably the best find out of this random bunch, if only the production were a little better.

Man, I just checked out that demo and I have to say you weren't kidding. That shit SLAYS.

As for what I've been checking out lately, Stone Soldier's Invincible Metal demo is pretty cool, a bit generic blue collar USPM with a touch of thrash. The singer's got one of those awesome mid-range voices, though, and he even sounds kinda like JD Kimball from Omen.

Badass, I've really come to like these kinds of vocalists lately, wish there were more good ones like this. Shame this demo is a little short.

Damn, the second track reminds me so much of something ... can't put my finger on it though.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:43 pm 

What are some other bands like Night On Bröcken/The Spectre Within-era Fates Warning? I checked out Enchanter, as failsafe pointed out that they were blatant FW worship, and sort of liked em, but I'll have to listen to it again.

I guess bands that have a very Maiden/Priest sound would be the right area but I need that expertise like on Spectre. All of the songs there just sound so well-rounded, like they took a million years to write. Agh, I can't really explain it too well, I guess.

Even though they touch a bit on prog on Spectre I'd prefer to stay away from that since it feels like it muddles stuff up if it's used more then a bit.

Also, if there is any other singer like John Arch - I NEED TO KNOW :fuck:
I noticed he has a solo project, is it like the FW albums he was on or something else (I fear teh prog :( :( :( )?

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
There are obviously different takes on power metal. It's really not a clear progression from NWOBHM => heavy metal => power metal, as power metal took some elements directly from NWOBHM and some from proto-power heavy metal bands like Manowar and early Riot. As for the "more technical" aspect, some early power metal is, but I'd say the defining factors would be the atmosphere and certain compositional conventions; kinda hard to actually formalize, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. It's what makes "The Altar of the King" and "Battle Hymn" power metal while the rest of the stuff on their respective albums is pretty straight heavy metal.

I usually think of "The Altar of the King" as just a good NWOBHM-styled heavy metal song, but whatever.

While I'm posting in here, I'm looking for European-style power metal with good drumming. Doesn't necessarily have to be proggy, it just shouldn't be the usual triggered bullshit.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 am 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
What are some other bands like Night On Bröcken/The Spectre Within-era Fates Warning? I checked out Enchanter, as failsafe pointed out that they were blatant FW worship, and sort of liked em, but I'll have to listen to it again.

I guess bands that have a very Maiden/Priest sound would be the right area but I need that expertise like on Spectre. All of the songs there just sound so well-rounded, like they took a million years to write. Agh, I can't really explain it too well, I guess.

Even though they touch a bit on prog on Spectre I'd prefer to stay away from that since it feels like it muddles stuff up if it's used more then a bit.

I noticed he has a solo project, is it like the FW albums he was on or something else (I fear teh prog :( :( :( )?

I tend to think failsafe leans more towards the white collar stuff than I do (my guess? lol. Anyways I tend to usually put FW in that category), so he can probably help with this a little more than me, here's some that come to mind though. You've probably heard some of them though:
- Crimson Glory and Apollo Ra might be some obvious ones?
- Graven Image? Maybe...
- Oliver Magnum - s/t, a little bit.
- Screamer - Target Earth, definitely.
- Vicious Rumors ... first two maybe.
- Helstar debut.
- Tyrus - Masters of Revenge ... the review is over the top. Not a bad album I'd say, has its moments.
- Laaz Rockit - City's Gonna Burn. I'm starting to think this is their best album.

Never realized it until now, but Night On Bröcken sure does make me think of Riot.

I'm just going to stop there though, don't know if any of these fit and I can't think of anyone that sounds quite like John Arch. Truth be told though I don't listen to Fates Warning that much ... :oh shit:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:07 am 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
What are some other bands like Night On Bröcken/The Spectre Within-era Fates Warning?

Uh, that's a tough rec, but your best bets are staying in the white collar USPM area. Try Screamer, Dead Calm, Crimson Glory (sort of), Zions Abyss, that kind of thing. Fates Warning were special, so none of those are terribly close, but it's all in a similar vein.

Masked_Jackal wrote:

Unfortunately there really aren't any singers too much like him. His solo EP is actually pretty good, try imagining his stuff on Awaken the Guardian but more modern. The riffs etc. aren't as good, but the vocal melodies are definitely in full force; Arch hasn't lost his edge in the least. On the whole it's a little less metal than I'd prefer, but it's definitely not bad at all.

PriestofSadWings wrote:
I usually think of "The Altar of the King" as just a good NWOBHM-styled heavy metal song, but whatever.

It is, but the atmosphere is 100% power metal.

DukeLetoAtreides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:10 am 

Any power metal bands who's lyrical theme ruminates around Dune?
Eg. Blind Guardian - Traveler in Time.
Thanks.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:18 am 

DukeLetoAtreides wrote:
Any power metal bands who's lyrical theme ruminates around Dune?
Eg. Blind Guardian - Traveler in Time.
Thanks.

Not exactly power metal but Iron Maiden did a song about Dune once. It's on their Piece of Mind album, the last song, "To Tame A Land." Try searching lyrical themes "Dune" or "Frank Herbert."
we sail across the sea!

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:10 am 

Xeogred wrote:
- Crimson Glory and Apollo Ra might be some obvious ones?
- Graven Image? Maybe...
- Oliver Magnum - s/t, a little bit.
- Screamer - Target Earth, definitely.
- Vicious Rumors ... first two maybe.
- Helstar debut.
- Tyrus - Masters of Revenge ... the review is over the top. Not a bad album I'd say, has its moments.
- Laaz Rockit - City's Gonna Burn. I'm starting to think this is their best album.
I'll check out some of these, but I have heard a couple of them; I loved Oliver Magnum's s/t, which was recommended a few weeks ago to me by one of you, Burning Star is my favorite Helstar album and I've got CG's Transcendence but nothing ever really stuck from it for some reason (I realize how awesome it is).

failsafeman wrote:
Uh, that's a tough rec, but your best bets are staying in the white collar USPM area. Try Screamer, Dead Calm, Crimson Glory (sort of), Zions Abyss, that kind of thing. Fates Warning were special, so none of those are terribly close, but it's all in a similar vein.
My general understanding of White collar versus blue collar is blue collar seems to be closer to thrash/more gritty production value :confused: Not sure if that's right or not, but I'll look into these bands. I'm liking the stuff on Screamer's myspace :)

Quote:
Unfortunately there really aren't any singers too much like him. His solo EP is actually pretty good, try imagining his stuff on Awaken the Guardian but more modern. The riffs etc. aren't as good, but the vocal melodies are definitely in full force; Arch hasn't lost his edge in the least. On the whole it's a little less metal than I'd prefer, but it's definitely not bad at all.
Awakening The Guardian is kind of where I started to drift off (even though it was Arch) but I'll give the EP a listen.

Thanks for the help :metal:

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:46 am 

I just very recently started listening to power metal.
Which bands are worth checking out?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:36 am 

MetalHearted wrote:

What bands do you like already?

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:04 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
MetalHearted wrote:

I really like Kamelot, at least their new stuff. Haven't heard any of their old stuff. Avantasia is pretty good.
That's really about all I haven't listened to much

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:57 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
My general understanding of White collar versus blue collar is blue collar seems to be closer to thrash/more gritty production value :confused: Not sure if that's right or not, but I'll look into these bands. I'm liking the stuff on Screamer's myspace :)

That or it might be better to say they're also closer to speed metal and sometimes, could even be considered a speed metal band. I always consider Liege Lord to be the perfect example of a more blue collar USPM band, Griffin's debut might be a good example as well, along with Omen, etc.

I usually think the white collar stuff out there tends to be closer to progressive styles than blue collar. I think you could maybe say the white collar stuff is more rare to come by sometimes, though there's definitely some that'd be hard to throw either way ... heck Screamer might be one, they seem like the could fit on either side sometimes.

ie: You're basically right. I'd say blue collar USPM is generally tougher and more aggressive, more speed/thrashy, and in a since more straightforward.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:14 pm 

Good to know, thanks :thumbsup:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:17 pm 

MetalHearted wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
MetalHearted wrote:

I really like Kamelot, at least their new stuff. Haven't heard any of their old stuff. Avantasia is pretty good.
That's really about all I haven't listened to much

I'd suggest checking out Dragonland's new stuff, as in Starfall and Astronomy. Excellent Power Metal. And get some Excalion, very good and somewhat unknown band compared to the bigger names. Human Fortress are good. Nocturnal Rites' old stuff might be up your alley.

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:31 pm 

Thanks.
What about Blind Gaurdian? I heard someone say they were really good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:33 pm 

They're a fine band, but too many people see them as the be all end all of the genre, which is wrong.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:50 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:

That or it might be better to say they're also closer to speed metal and sometimes, could even be considered a speed metal band. I always consider Liege Lord to be the perfect example of a more blue collar USPM band, Griffin's debut might be a good example as well, along with Omen, etc.

I usually think the white collar stuff out there tends to be closer to progressive styles than blue collar. I think you could maybe say the white collar stuff is more rare to come by sometimes, though there's definitely some that'd be hard to throw either way ... heck Screamer might be one, they seem like the could fit on either side sometimes.

ie: You're basically right. I'd say blue collar USPM is generally tougher and more aggressive, more speed/thrashy, and in a since more straightforward.

Yea, blue vs. white is more about the general attitude/direction of the band than straight speed/thrash or prog influence, though of course those still tend to factor in fairly often too. Oh, while we're on the subject, Damien Steele's demo is pretty fucking awesome too, really good white collar USPM. Their recent album is basically just a reissue of that demo with a few bonus tracks which aren't nearly as good, but otherwise it's the same thing. I guess another obvious rec would be Cauldron Born, their first album especially, but you probably already know about them.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:57 pm 

Wow, totally forgot about Cauldron Born. I remember checking them out a while back cause I really liked the bassist (he's currently in Outworld).

paskogen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 pm 

Iron Savior is weeeaak..Condition Red is really, really overrated. It just sounds like bad, way, way, way over-the-top traditional metal priest worship.

It is the aural representation of leather pants. Not a good thing. At ALL.

Manowar is fucking your chick regardless of the condoms.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:21 pm 

paskogen wrote:
Iron Savior is weeeaak..Condition Red is really, really overrated. It just sounds like bad, way, way, way over-the-top traditional metal priest worship.

Holy crap dude.. Its like you have blindness, except your ears got it.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:27 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
paskogen wrote:

You mean he's deaf?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:30 pm 

Iron Savior are probably the weakest of those German retro metal bands anyway, even if I wouldn't go as far as he did.

paskogen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
paskogen wrote:

Ok, I'll follow that with a rec request that will probably make the majority of you squirm..

I love power metal. But, unlike the majority of the posters here, I don't listen to power metal for aggression. I listen to more black/death than anything else, and I don't need a ton of aggression in my power metal. I really like classical elements and clean, often high vocals..shredding guitar or keyboard is good too. I love..European style flower metal, if you will!

That having been said..can anyone give me some power metal that perhaps I've overlooked that isn't US 80's worship? I would consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the genre, both what I like and don't like.. EXAMPLES (that I like a lot):

Dark Moor/Fairyland (much better w/ Elisa),
Galneryus ,
Dragonland,
Rhapsody /Luca solo,
Elvenking (only heathenreel which is absolutely amazing, and wyrd SOMETIMES),
Sonata Arctica,
Dalriada,
Blind Guardian (nightfall era mostly, although I prefer their speed metal to their power by a lot)
Time Requiem,
Kamelot (Epica esp.)
Lost Horizon,
Oratory to some extent,
some Edguy,
some Avantasia,
some Stratovarius (Episode esp.),
some Symphony X (The Odyssey esp.),

I also like some Helloween a lot, and don't like some of it at all, even off the same album. Two examples of songs that I love are Keeper of the Seven Keys and Eagle Fly Free.

If anyone has any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Manowar is fucking your chick regardless of the condoms.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:11 am 

I hope you just let Hibria slip your mind there with that list.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:54 am 

Paskogen, get immediately:

Dionysus - Fairytales and Reality
Domine - Champion Eternal, or anything really.
Freedom Call - Eternity (if you haven't already heard them)
Galloglass - Heavenseeker
Heavenly - Virus, Dust to Dust
Highland Glory - Forever Endeavour
Kaledon - Anything, great Italian power metal, reminiscent to Rhapsody.
Labyrinth - Sons of Thunder, you should know of them, another Rhapsody style band.
Narnia - Desert Land, Long Live the King
Angel of Eden - The End of Never, Awesome melodic power metal, Robert Staffelbach's an amazing, a fantastic job here.
Thy Majestie - Hastings 1066, Joan D'Arc, more symphonic power metal.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:03 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
paskogen wrote:

Shit, even I enjoy Condition Red to some extent. Sure, I don't take it too seriously and actually only remember like the first 2-3 songs ("WE WILL BE UNIFIED WITH THE TITANS OF OUR TIME!!!!!!"), but it's definitely fun for what it is. It's probably overrated, but I wouldn't call it actively bad.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:08 am 

Well, I'd favor like all of their other albums over that one, but yeah it's definitely not horrible. I could probably side with BotD's review.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:23 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Well, I'd favor like all of their other albums over that one, but yeah it's definitely not horrible. I could probably side with BotD's review.

I'd agree with that. People do seem to polarize way too easily, though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:49 am 

Hot cock, I just discovered Obscene Jester, a power/thrash band. I'm really fucking enjoying their stuff on their myspace, which apparently has all of their recorded material, and at a quite reasonable sound quality as well. Production is fucking great for an 80s underground demo, too. Give 'em a listen.

Edit: toning down my initial reaction a bit, they're a tad generic and get kinda same-y after a few songs. Still good, though.

Last edited by failsafeman on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:55 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Hot cock, I just discovered Obscene Jester, a power/thrash band. I'm really fucking enjoying their stuff on their myspace, which apparently has all of their recorded material, and at a quite reasonable sound quality as well. Production is fucking great for an 80s underground demo, too. Give 'em a listen.

Holy hot cock, more proof I need to finish my archive search through 1987-90. Not bad, hard to believe they don't have an official release.

PS: http://static.metal-archives.com/images ... 6/7016.jpg

Yikes.
(and they're not that special)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:57 am 

You never heard of Blackkout? It was the first band I recommended in Shutdown's USPM thread, which I know you read. Need to brush up on your rec reading comprehension, son!

Blackkout's album does suffer from that "too long, too little content" problem that many longer albums exhibit, though. But it's certainly decent.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:04 am 

failsafeman wrote:
You never heard of Blackkout? It was the first band I recommended in Shutdown's USPM thread, which I know you read. Need to brush up on your rec reading comprehension, son!

*checks*
I've had their album since January apparently, in my 8th unsorted folder. I've been cleaning this shit up the last few days. :ugh: ...

Very sad when you can just pick some random folders of albums to rediscover some albums.

It's a fucking jungle ... :lol:

Blackmayne. :metal:, knew I had some more nice NWOBHM gems in there.
(utterly random, just happens to be the album I'm on right now in this cleanup).

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:05 am 

failsafeman wrote:

Edit: toning down my initial reaction a bit, they're a tad generic and get kinda same-y after a few songs. Still good, though.

Very nice, they really should have put something out. :(

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:05 am 

You like Blackmayne? I remember them whiffing balls. Better double-check, though, I get so many of these bands confused.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:13 am 

failsafeman wrote:
You like Blackmayne? I remember them whiffing balls. Better double-check, though, I get so many of these bands confused.

Yeah, solid stuff. Not the epic/power-ish NWOBHM out there, but it's a little tougher than your radio friendly stuff. Vocalist is cool, classy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:16 am 

Eh, I'm not hearing it. The riffs are heavy, sure, but repetitive and only just a tad above generic. The vocalist is barely passable, I suppose, but the vocal melodies suck and I wouldn't call him classy in the least.

Guess I'm a bit burned out on NWOBHM, though, I've been listening to random NWOBHM demos for the last few days (found some pretty good stuff, though). However, I didn't like Blackmayne when I first heard them, and I still don't like them now. I'd give their album around a 60%.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:22 am 

Suck it! Meh, lol. Dunno if it'll be something I'll go back to or anything. Just stuck out a little more compared to this other junk I'm organized ... probably not a good thing?

Breathless (Bel), not exactly speed I'd say. Cool shrieks, that's about it. Blacksmith (US) I remember liking before, not bad. What's this ... Crimson Glory Strange and Beautiful? brb.
:puke:

Stumbled upon Aftermath and Grudge again. I still think I prefer Aftermath, but both are pretty good. Hard to believe they have the same vocalist though? Aftermath kind of reminds me of a toned down Mysto Dysto in the end though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:25 am 

Blacksmith is definitely good, though their album is definitely a grower. Thing is, they sound very generic at first with unspectacular riffs, but where they really shine is the overall composition and the careful, gradual crafting of mood and atmosphere; they aren't afraid to take their time, and their penchant for longer songs definitely accents this approach. Check "The Tower of London", probably my favorite from the album.

Also: FUCK YES, GRUDGE! For whatever reason that band totally clicks with me.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 624  Next