Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Myjk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:44 pm 

Speaking of doom - Kory Clarke of Warrior Soul fame is now signing for Trouble. Huh? What? When the hell did this happen? That is gonna be a very interesting combination.

MrMalicious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:48 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking for melodoom bands similar to Swallow the Sun, Rapture, older Katatonia, In Mourning, etc.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:49 pm 

MrMalicious wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for melodoom bands similar to Swallow the Sun, Rapture, older Katatonia, In Mourning, etc.

Daylight Dies comes to mind.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

MrMalicious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:02 pm 

Kruel wrote:
MrMalicious wrote:

I already have their discography.
Should've mentioned them in my little list.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:27 pm 

MrMalicious wrote:

Check Terhen for a good Swallow the Sun clone band.

Some other ones: Otkroveniya Dozhdya, Frailty for some new, not so original, but promising bands.

I'll list some more as I already mentioned them earlier in this thread, so no need to repeat the same description: Mournful Gust, Ningizzia, Lethian Dreams, Adagio (Bra), In Somnis, Inborn Suffering and, for a really good old Katatonia influenced band, Forest of Shadows.

MrMalicious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:54 pm 

Belial_ wrote:
MrMalicious wrote:

Check Terhen for a good Swallow the Sun clone band.

Some other ones: Otkroveniya Dozhdya, Frailty for some new, not so original, but promising bands.

I'll list some more as I already mentioned them earlier in this thread, so no need to repeat the same description: Mournful Gust, Ningizzia, Lethian Dreams, Adagio (Bra), In Somnis, Inborn Suffering and, for a really good old Katatonia influenced band, Forest of Shadows.

Thanks.
I'll look into all of them.

RaudtOgSvart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:59 pm 

DO NOT miss Forest of Shadows on that list. They are incredible.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:01 pm 

caspian wrote:
Yes, I have heard Candlemass. They're good, but don't quite deliver the atmosphere that I'm looking for. Besides, they aren't slow enough.

Is GRIEF slow enough? :P

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:04 pm 

Don't understand the lack of love for NORTT quite honestly. I absolutely love GRAVEN and LIGFAERD. Maybe you have to be high or something to appreciate them, but I dig it :lol:

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:10 pm 

Kruel wrote:
MrMalicious wrote:

And OCTOBER TIDE, which is the Katatonia offshoot. IMO better than old Katatonia period. Seek out RAIN WITHOUT END (my personal fav) and GREY DAWN. Great stuff.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:10 pm 

Double post :lol:

MrMalicious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:22 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:

Quadruple post.

October Tide is win :grin:.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:31 pm 

MrMalicious wrote:
deathcorpse wrote:

Quadruple post.

October Tide is win :grin:.

:lol: It got stuck!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:29 am 

Can anyone recommand me stuff similar to ''Gothic'' by Paradise lost?

I don't care about the production, the lyrics need to be english, I'm not looking for your typical slow doom metal albums with songs like 10 minuts long and without any tempo changes, also i'm not looking for depressive doom.

Thanks in advance!

funeris
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:57 am 

colin040 wrote:
Can anyone recommand me stuff similar to ''Gothic'' by Paradise lost?

I don't care about the production, the lyrics need to be english, I'm not looking for your typical slow doom metal albums with songs like 10 minuts long and without any tempo changes, also i'm not looking for depressive doom.

Thanks in advance!

Visceral Evisceration's only album fits that description.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:36 am 

deathcorpse wrote:
Don't understand the lack of love for NORTT quite honestly. I absolutely love GRAVEN and LIGFAERD. Maybe you have to be high or something to appreciate them, but I dig it :lol:

Lack of love? The only people who have expressed a distate are me and bezerko.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:00 pm 

caspian wrote:
deathcorpse wrote:

Lack of love? The only people who have expressed a distate are me and bezerko.

Sorry I didn't specifically direct this post at you two, but I didn't think when I used that "lack of love" description that it meant the majority on this messageboard or was I meaning to blow the phrase out of proportion.

Perhaps it was too much of a general statement, and in that I apologize.

:beer:

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:10 pm 

I'm looking for some doom similar to Mournful Congregation. I've tried looking at related funeral doom acts, but I haven't found any that give me the same feeling, the melody, atmosphere, melancholic feeling.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:24 pm 

RegularK wrote:
I'm looking for some doom similar to Mournful Congregation. I've tried looking at related funeral doom acts, but I haven't found any that give me the same feeling, the melody, atmosphere, melancholic feeling.

Shape of Despair
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:29 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Shape of Despair

Thanks for replying.

I have heard "Shades of..." by them, but the vibe I remember getting from it is being in a dark forest, badly wounded, slowly going insane while being hunted down, bleeding to death... It felt more (mentally) chaotic, while I'm looking for more soothing music. Should I check out their other albums?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:38 pm 

That's the only one I've heard, too. I somehow got similar feelings from those two bands...

You could try Skepticism, though you probably know it.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:41 pm 

Kruel wrote:
That's the only one I've heard, too. I somehow got similar feelings from those two bands...

You could try Skepticism, though you probably know it.

Skepticism is closer, thanks anyway :)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:58 pm 

RegularK wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Shape of Despair

Thanks for replying.

I have heard "Shades of..." by them, but the vibe I remember getting from it is being in a dark forest, badly wounded, slowly going insane while being hunted down, bleeding to death... It felt more (mentally) chaotic, while I'm looking for more soothing music. Should I check out their other albums?

Yeah, man. You need Angels Of Distress. Excellent album, and easily their best.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:00 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Mmkay, thanks.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:08 pm 

Amerigo wrote:
Are there any trad doom bands still out there, playing US shows? I was extremely disappointed that I never got to see Reverend Bizarre live.

Of course there are and depending on where you live this is the place to be this summer.

Declaration of Doom Festival

7/5/08
10 Bands. Doom. Baltimore.

Revelation
Chowder
Orodruin
Pale Divine
The Gates of Slumber
Valkyrie
Iron Man
Ogre
Dwell Within
Earthride

Pretty much the cream of the crop of US true doom. I wish I lived closer to Maryland. :(

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:10 pm 

Myjk wrote:
Wretched. One of the many Hellhound Records doom bands. I have the opportunity to purchase their 1st 2 albums. I usually aways snap up something new being a voracious collector, but it never hurts to ask beforehand. I noticed that they have a couple members of an old thrash band I really enjoy called Indestroy, and the cursory review on I read on www.bnrmetal.com sounds intriguing.

Are they anything like Reverend Bizarre perchance?

Not really. A second rate Hellhound band if you ask me. But decent enough if you truly adore Maryland doom.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:19 pm 

RegularK wrote:

CATACOMBS?

delayedreaction
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:40 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
Are there any trad doom bands still out there, playing US shows? I was extremely disappointed that I never got to see Reverend Bizarre live.

Of course there are and depending on where you live this is the place to be this summer.

Declaration of Doom Festival

7/5/08
10 Bands. Doom. Baltimore.

Revelation
Chowder
Orodruin
Pale Divine
The Gates of Slumber
Valkyrie
Iron Man
Ogre
Dwell Within
Earthride

Pretty much the cream of the crop of US true doom. I wish I lived closer to Maryland. :(

Sweet, thanks for the tip man (I live in Maryland). I only know Earthride though, can anyone tell me anything about the rest of the lineup?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:46 pm 

The only band I've heard in that line up is The Gates of Slumber, and I am a fan. Judging from youtube videos they seem to put on a pretty good show.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:41 am 

Please suggest Melancholic/Beautiful Death/Doom that will vary to a grind-esque blastbeat tempo. Such as on diSEMBOWELMENT's "Transference in the Peripheral" or Evoken's "Antithesis of Light".

They do this on an Esoteric album, yes? Could someone inform me which one?

I want crushing weight countered by blistering aggression.

Edited as I would really rather my first request fulfilled at this time.

Thank you.

Last edited by PureNegativism on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 am 

PureNegativism wrote:
Please suggest Melancholic/Beautiful Death/Doom that will vary to a grind-esque blastbeat tempo. Such as on diSEMBOWELMENT's "Transference in the Peripheral" or Evoken's "Antithesis of Light".

Can't help you with your second recommendation, but maybe this. The only band I know that might do something like this is Ophis. Their full-length "Streams Of Misery" seems to vary from slow to even some semi-fast double kick drums (if I remember correctly). I hope I helped.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:02 am 

After a quick listen on Myspace I was looking for a bit of a different atmosphere. They are good as it is. Fucking grimy and heavy. I'll look into getting the album. Thank you.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:16 am 

You're welcome. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:17 am 

PureNegativism wrote:

Well, there's Visceral Evisceration. Mostly associated with grind due to their lyrics, but they successfully mendle melodic doom/death and faster tempi together (plenty of double-kick, no blastbeats, though) and create something genuinely unique. The slow (there's no funeral doom here, mind you) parts are crushingly heavy and guitarist plays wonderful leads throughout, which certainly are melancholic-sounding (again, their lyrics ain't).

http://www.myspace.com/visceralevisceration

Quote:
Second request being Trad. Doom with vocals similar to the last Solstice record or Isole. As in not overly theatrical, power metalish, or "cheesy" (to my ears)

Grand Magus. It says they're are heavy/power on their metal-archives page, but this only applies to their newer stuff (partly). Check out the self-titled debut and Monument, plenty of classic DOOOOM riffs can be found in both.

http://www.myspace.com/grandmagusrocks

Sztorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:22 am 

MikeyC wrote:
RegularK wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Shape of Despair

Thanks for replying.

This is true that Angels of Distress is their complete masterpiece. The third album Illusion's Play is far more ambient, and more melodic than the first two. Anyway, seems like Shape of Despair will record this year 7'EP with LYCIA cover. I hope they won't end as dark wave band:)

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:51 am 

PureNegativism wrote:

Get Indesinence - Noctambulism and Ataraxie.

Quote:
Second request being Trad. Doom with vocals similar to the last Solstice record or Isole. As in not overly theatrical, power metalish, or "cheesy" (to my ears)

Ereb Altor - By Honour

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:12 am 

[quote="DeathForBlitzkrieg"][/quote]

Again these recs. were good, and again I am grateful. Still though, not what I was looking for. I should not have used the term "grind" in my initial post as I'm not looking for any direct grind influence, only in the extreme tempo.

Visceral Evisceration - What a strange band. Such an odd lyrical choice and aesthetic. The melodies of "Chewing Female Genitalia Parts" certainly do not call to mind such a thing. :lol: Lyrics are very much secondary to me but even so the music is not satisfying my want for such a contrast in tempo.

Grand Magnus also fairly good but too rock and roll for my taste. Maybe "traditional" was a bad phrase to use as well as what I meant was something like MDB or Isole, I am at fault for that really. I am quite ignorant on this style of doom as I have never really had an interest in it. Maybe if I take a listen later it will appeal to me more.

Thank you.

More suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:30 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
PureNegativism wrote:

Get Indesinence - Noctambulism and Ataraxie.

Quote:

Ereb Altor - By Honour

Perfect. Both were exactly what I was looking for. You are impressive. More recommendations from you would are eagerly anticipated but I should do well with these.

I've posted only a few hours already I love this board.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:43 am 

this thread needs more thergothon.

So: THERGOTHON.

That's all.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:50 am 

Well, the atmospheres of VE and dismbowelment/Evoken couldn't be any more different, but it was worth a try. :lol:

And I don't know why I didn't think of Ereb Altor, since I've been listening to them everyday for two or three weeks straight now and my amazement increases daily. Album of the year? Yes, I think so.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 133  Next