Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:53 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
I never specified what I considered either of those bands to be.

Had no idea that Ataraxie had a new one though, what do you guys think of it?

Sorry then, people always mistake Ataraxie and Evoken in particular here for being Funeral Doom.

Anyway, the new Ataraxie is great, I've been listeting to it for some weeks now and it's really great. Quite different from the first one, as I said it's much more Funeral Doom, but the fast passages are still there.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:21 pm 

Could someone recommend me bands like Candlemass and Doomsword, or something thats really epic, I'd appreciate that, thanks.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:29 pm 

666head wrote:
Could someone recommend me bands like Candlemass and Doomsword, or something thats really epic, I'd appreciate that, thanks.

You probably already know Solstice and Reverend Bizarre, but if not, those two. Also:

Solitude Aeturnus even though I don't like them, Grand Magus, maybe Mael Mordha, Gods Tower ("The Turns" album, have heard some other stuff that kinda sucked) are all good trad doom bands with varying levels of epicness.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:14 am 

I personally hate doom/death and most funeral doom and I have noticed that very few people are talking about traditional doom bands in this thread so here is just a brief list of notable traditional doom bands

Reverend Bizarre
Pagan Altar
Dream Death
Penance
Revelation
Orodruin
Trouble
St Vitus
Witchfinder General
Pentagram
Solstice
Death SS
Paul Chian
Warning

ofstonewindandpillor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:41 am 

666head wrote:

Scald have been mentioned already in this thread, but they're worth noting again. They only put out one album, sadly enough (Will of the Gods is Great Power), but it's one of the better ones that I've heard.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 am 

666head wrote:

Check out Dantesco from Puerto Rico. This band has blazing leads, epic riffs and mighty operatic vocals.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:03 am 

Some more fantastic yet sadly underrated and/or unknown true doom metal bands to check out are:
Fall of the Idols Heavy and depressive as hell. Submit to the power of three guitars. The second album "The Séance" was recently released. Needs more love. Seriously.
Griftegård The song "Charles Taze Russell" from the EP "Psalm Bok" is one of the best doom metal songs in the last ten years, in my opinion. I can't stress this enough!
Minotauri Split-up now but released some awesome material.
Spiritus Mortis Powerful riffs and equally powerful vocals. This is manly stuff right here. Go for the "From the Ultima Thule" split if you want a taste of "best of". Sadly they have nothing but bad luck with their labels. Oh well, they doom on regardless.
The Gates of Slumber Should grow your testicles to thrice the size. For everyone who likes both epic and rocking doom metal. New album coming soon. It will slay you all.

Also try Ereb Altor. Bathory meets Candlemass meets Isole. Utterly majestic viking doom metal. For fans of Scald too.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:07 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Some more fantastic yet sadly underrated and/or unknown true doom metal bands to check out are:
Fall of the Idols Heavy and depressive as hell. Submit to the power of three guitars. The second album "The Séance" was recently released. Needs more love. Seriously.
Griftegård The song "Charles Taze Russell" from the EP "Psalm Bok" is one of the best doom metal songs in the last ten years, in my opinion. I can't stress this enough!
Minotauri Split-up now but released some awesome material.
Spiritus Mortis Powerful riffs and equally powerful vocals. This is manly stuff right here. Go for the "From the Ultima Thule" split if you want a taste of "best of". Sadly they have nothing but bad luck with their labels. Oh well, they doom on regardless.
The Gates of Slumber Should grow your testicles to thrice the size. For everyone who likes both epic and rocking doom metal. New album coming soon. It will slay you all.

Also try Ereb Altor. Bathory meets Candlemass meets Isole. Utterly majestic viking doom metal. For fans of Scald too.

Gates of Slumber are so awesome. I saw them last summer, they were so heavy, they played a 15+ miniute version of Riders of Doom.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:21 am 

HeavyMetalSteve wrote:
Gates of Slumber are so awesome. I saw them last summer, they were so heavy, they played a 15+ miniute version of Riders of Doom.

That's really something. I love that song.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:04 am 

PlagueRages wrote:
Can someone recommend me bands in the vein of Electric Wizard? They're one of the best bands I've discovered so far this year and I'm eager to listen to more stuff like them.

Sleep. They have a different approach for sure but I can find no reason why you wouldn't love Dopesmoker if you liked Dopethrone, as long as you like the idea of mammoth riffs and a one hour long song.

Early Cathedral would be a worthy listen. Forest of Equilibrium in particular. Again, a different approach (but who needs carbon copy bands anyway) but certainly worth a try.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:06 am 

As for that Warning band. I found them overrated. Ok riffs but the vocals reminded me strangely of Coldplay or some other whiny stuff.

incarcerated_demon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:59 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
As for that Warning band. I found them overrated. Ok riffs but the vocals reminded me strangely of Coldplay or some other whiny stuff.

No way mate. I HATED doom with a passion (fell asleep at a Grand Magus gig once) but I'm checking out doom more seriously now because of Warning. It's bloody hard to believe a band can make such epic, emotional and yet powerful music with a set of drums, a voice, ONE guitar and a bass. The vocals are top notch, they fill in the space between the monster riffs and immense drumming.

I still hate Grand Magus though, what a shit band live.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:42 am 

incarcerated_demon wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

No way mate. I HATED doom with a passion (fell asleep at a Grand Magus gig once) but I'm checking out doom more seriously now because of Warning. It's bloody hard to believe a band can make such epic, emotional and yet powerful music with a set of drums, a voice, ONE guitar and a bass. The vocals are top notch, they fill in the space between the monster riffs and immense drumming.

I still hate Grand Magus though, what a shit band live.

I'll give the album another listen the vocals did grate on me though. I quite like Grand Magus mind.

screamerabdabs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:30 am 

screamerabdabs wrote:
Can someone give me something like old On thorns I Lay please?

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:39 am 

Does anybody know of any Doom bands which are similar to diSEMBOWELMENT? As in, the slow, crushing riffs infused with the occasional aggression of death metal, as well as some ambient moments?

The eye can outstare neither the sun, nor death... if I sought God it was in delirium and in the delight of temptation.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:41 am 

666head wrote:

Check out Isole, they have a really epic, crushing atmosphere.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:47 am 

vondskapens_makt wrote:
Does anybody know of any Doom bands which are similar to diSEMBOWELMENT? As in, the slow, crushing riffs infused with the occasional aggression of death metal, as well as some ambient moments?

Winter, Indesinence, Evoken, Ataraxie, Decomposed (much more Death Metal oriented) and maybe Thorr's Hammer (for extremely heavy stuff).

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:09 pm 

Thorr's Hammer don't really have anything I'd describe as 'fast'.

A simple solution to Vondkapens solution would be to put 'death doom' into the archives search engine.

Seconding Evoken, too.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:12 pm 

I know i've asked it before, but could some people recommand me doom metal similar to Icon by Paradise lost?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:15 pm 

Anyone know anything similar to Esoteric or other forms of Psychedelic, NON STONER, Doom metal that is still of a higher tempo than most funeral? Aside from Crowbar, Candlemass, Black Sabbath and some Death/Doom like My Dying Bride, Draconian and Swallow the Sun, pretty much the rest of my doom collection is funeral or drone...

Or, actually, any Pink Floyd influenced metal in general would be sweet...

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:40 pm 

666head wrote:

Try Warchetype Goat Goddess Supremacy and The Wandering Midget I Am The Gate.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:42 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
666head wrote:

That Wandering Midget is excellent quality, though I don't really see how it sounds similiar to Candlemass or Doomsword.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:46 pm 

Does anyone likes My Shameful?, great band, full of atmosphere, nice "solos", crushing riffs and powerful vocals. Here on the MA are listed as a Death/Doom act, but I find it really close to Funeral Doom, so, what is it?
Not hearsay but the will of man

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:51 pm 

vondskapens_makt wrote:

Ophis Nostrae Mortis Signaculum and Stream of Misery might be right up your alley. Perhaps also Derkéta Goddess of Death. Second Indesinence both Neptunian and Noctambulism are very good. Also, Insanity Reigns Supreme with their kickass Prophecy of Doom and My Shameful Of All the Wrong Things, though that might be stretching it a bit. :p Of course Evoken as well with IN SOLITARY RUIN which is just pure Disembowelment worshipping.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:54 pm 

caspian wrote:
Weerwolf wrote:
666head wrote:

That Wandering Midget is excellent quality, though I don't really see how it sounds similiar to Candlemass or Doomsword.

Well it's not really comparable to either two. But it does sound quite epic at times, so it might suit the needs of the requester. That's up to him to decide. Nothing beats Doomsword though in terms of epicness :headbang:

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:56 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Does anyone likes My Shameful?, great band, full of atmosphere, nice "solos", crushing riffs and powerful vocals. Here on the MA are listed as a Death/Doom act, but I find it really close to Funeral Doom, so, what is it?

I'd say their later albums do have some funeral aspect to it. Those are also the ones I don't really like. The debut is excellent doom death though.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:01 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Or, actually, any Pink Floyd influenced metal in general would be sweet...

I would recommend mid and later Anathema, not once have I heard that they ARE the new Pink Floyd, their influence on them being quite noticeable.

exdeathbr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:06 pm 

Well, I may sound like a geek asking this but I will ask.

Can someone give me recomendations of doom metal bands that has songs that sound like those that i will show or a the doom metal sub-genre that i will find likely find bands that has a sound like this.

Click on those links and a mid will play.

http://www.afn.org/~afn04133/e2m6.htm
http://www.afn.org/~afn04133/e1m8.htm
http://www.afn.org/~afn04133/e1m7.htm
http://www.afn.org/~afn04133/e1m3.htm

There are many types of doom metal some are very different of others, (compare candlemass with some other doom metal artists). I like some doom metal songs that sound similar to those but I need to know some bands. I found some songs that sounds like those (one is of sound greif)

PS: No, this post is not a joke.

BrutalDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:06 pm 

What about The Fall Of Every Season ?! IMO, this band is one of the best doom bands

delayedreaction
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:37 pm 

caspian wrote:
Finally a thread that I can appear to be knowledgeable in.

Here's something that I'm looking for, if anyone can help: Some sort of doom with a sort of, uhh, elegant (yet still satisfying heavy) riffing style, and a really epic feel. Effectively a doom metal album that brings to mind epic fantasy novels but is still satisfyingly heavy. I guess My Dying Bride at their slowest mixed with, say, the epic scope of Thergothon but a bit less ominous and lovecraft-ish.

Candlemass... I hope I'm not patronizing you by mentioning them but yeah you are basically describing their sound.

Satanic_Shoe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:11 pm 

Ahab (Funeral Doom)
Saturnus (Ambient Death-Doom)
My Dying Bride (Gothic/Death Doom)
Esoteric (Funeral Doom)
Skepticism (Death Doom)
Dirge (Doom Metal/Drone -Doom)
Boris (Psychadelic/Doom Metal/Drone-Doom)
The Axis of Perdition (Symphonic Doom)
Estatic Fear (Symphonic Doom)
Sunn O))) (Drone-Doom)

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:37 pm 

delayedreaction wrote:
caspian wrote:
Finally a thread that I can appear to be knowledgeable in.

Here's something that I'm looking for, if anyone can help: Some sort of doom with a sort of, uhh, elegant (yet still satisfying heavy) riffing style, and a really epic feel. Effectively a doom metal album that brings to mind epic fantasy novels but is still satisfyingly heavy. I guess My Dying Bride at their slowest mixed with, say, the epic scope of Thergothon but a bit less ominous and lovecraft-ish.

Candlemass... I hope I'm not patronizing you by mentioning them but yeah you are basically describing their sound.

He's obviously heard Candlemass...

caspian

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:26 pm 

Yes, I have heard Candlemass. They're good, but don't quite deliver the atmosphere that I'm looking for. Besides, they aren't slow enough.

Having said that, my quest for epic fantasy style doom is done. Summoning aren't a doom metal band but otherwise they're pretty much exactly what I was looking for- I just thought that a doom metal band might have a bigger chance of pulling it off, that's all.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:56 am 

I'm much more interested in the funeral doom sub-genre, rather than the death/doom, but I do like bands from both:

Shape Of Despair (Angels Of Distress is probably my favourite doom release so far...it is brilliant)
Mournful Congregation
Ophis
Depressed Mode
Swallow The Sun
Ahab

Recommendation: Any funeral doom with good production, that has an emphasis on sadness. Female vocals are not desired, but a little bit won't hurt, same with clean singing.

Please don't mention Skepticism, Thergothon, or Esoteric.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:05 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I'm much more interested in the funeral doom sub-genre, rather than the death/doom, but I do like bands from both:

Shape Of Despair (Angels Of Distress is probably my favourite doom release so far...it is brilliant)
Mournful Congregation
Ophis
Depressed Mode
Swallow The Sun
Ahab

Recommendation: Any funeral doom with good production, that has an emphasis on sadness. Female vocals are not desired, but a little bit won't hurt, same with clean singing.

Comatose Vigil, Pantheist, Worship, Remembrance and Monolith are all well produced and have an emphasis on sadness (more or less with Monolith). There's a lot of clean (male) vocals on Pantheist though.
Lament Christ if you'd like something really sad sounding, but the production isn't great.

Swallow the Sun are Melodic Death/Doom by the way, you should try Terhen as they're basically another Swallow the Sun worship band (better than most others I've heard though).

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:43 am 

Cheers, mate. I'll check these out.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:51 am 

YAY, my request now!

I'm looking for something similar to Solitude Aeturnus's Alone and Candlemass' King of the Grey Islands. So vocals similar to Lowe's (because he freaking rules) and that heavy, slow, yet slightly epic feel. I guess this is pretty similar to Caspian's request, but more focused. This is mostly out of love of Robert Lowe's vocal work. :P

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:40 am 

Bezerko wrote:
YAY, my request now!

I'm looking for something similar to Solitude Aeturnus's Alone and Candlemass' King of the Grey Islands. So vocals similar to Lowe's (because he freaking rules) and that heavy, slow, yet slightly epic feel. I guess this is pretty similar to Caspian's request, but more focused. This is mostly out of love of Robert Lowe's vocal work. :P

If you love Lowe check out the first Last Chapter album "The Living Waters", the band Concept of God also has his vocals. Then try the American Well of Souls (the one from Houston).

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:44 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Mournful Congregation
Ophis
Depressed Mode
Swallow The Sun
Ahab

You should check out Doom:VS. It's a side project of one of the guys from Draconian. It is also quite melodic.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:33 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Check out the album Tragedies by the Norwegian Funeral. There is a female vocalist, but her voice is very beautiful and tastefully used.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 133  Next