Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:38 pm 

I have seen a fair few Power Metal recommendation threads in the last few months, and since we have threads like this for Black and Thrash, I figured, who better to start this than me.

So if you need help finding any Power Metal bands - new or old, no matter what the style - don't make a rec thread, just post here. ;)

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:45 pm 

Know any Power Metal bands similar to Adolf Castle?
Member #1 of the AFMF: You are with us or against us!!!! ,,|,

Imperium_X
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:53 pm 

This is a broad request:

Is there any catchy power metal with really well crafted solos? Something in vein of Gamma Ray or Edguy (sort of for Edguy-- they have some good stuff and okay stuff).

Power metal bands I have listed to prevent recommendations on what I have:
- Demons and Wizards
- Secret Sphere
- Power Quest

PS: I have the big names (like Blind Guardian, Helloween...etc).

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:57 pm 

Are Manticora as amazing as the reviews say?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:58 pm 

Kvisling wrote:
Know any Power Metal bands similar to Adolf Castle?

I am downloading their Really Crazy Germans album now to see if I know anything like it. Who knows.

Quote:
This is a broad request:

Is there any catchy power metal with really well crafted solos? Something in vein of Gamma Ray or Edguy (sort of for Edguy-- they have some good stuff and okay stuff).

Power metal bands I have listed to prevent recommendations on what I have:
- Demons and Wizards
- Secret Sphere
- Power Quest

PS: I have the big names (like Blind Guardian, Helloween...etc).

I'm sure dragons_secrets will be able to make some recommendations too, but...

Excalion
Insania
Rawhead Rexx
Messiahs Kiss
Black Majesty
Twilightning (first album only)

I don't have time to elaborate, but just be assured they are all quite catchy and powerful bands that will keep you satisfied.

@Manticora: Not from the few songs I heard.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:02 pm 

TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:

Nope

I'm pretty disappointed with the new Pyramaze album, not because I liked their past stuff, but because Sargon spoke so highly about it.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:09 pm 

:nods:

But you have 2 no's and 1 yes, so decide for yourself. Start with 8 Deadly Sins, that's the best. It's hyper speed. Read OSheaman's review, it's really good.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:11 pm 

The_Boss wrote:

:nods:

But you have 2 no's and 1 yes, so decide for yourself. Start with 8 Deadly Sins, that's the best. It's hyper speed. Read OSheaman's review, it's really good.

I'll take your word for it. Besides I guess the no's are good since I won't be as dissapointed if I turn out not to like them.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:16 pm 

I'd really appreciate it if someone could PM me a list of power metal bands similar to Cage, The Lord Weird Slough Feg and Twisted Tower Dire. Also, similar bands to Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica would also be really nice.

To TheFourHorsemen666, bands you might like could be Hibria, Angra and Vhäldemar, they're really good and should be along the lines you're looking for, and needless to say, Symphony X, though you probably knew them already.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:23 pm 

How about riffy power metal with testicles like Vicious Rumors, Pharaoh, Tad Morose etc?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:06 pm 

Well I want bands that can match Helloween and Blind Guardian in terms of quality (can it be done within the genre? I don't know...let's find out). Don't just suggest Gamma Ray. Certainly no flowery stuff either if the keyboards over power the guitars, well, I want out.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:42 pm 

Can anybody recommend me some darker power metal? I'm thinking along the lines of Beyond Twilight, though it's a prog band. Savatage and Tarot are also close to what I'm looking for.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:47 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Well I want bands that can match Helloween and Blind Guardian in terms of quality (can it be done within the genre? I don't know...let's find out). Don't just suggest Gamma Ray. Certainly no flowery stuff either if the keyboards over power the guitars, well, I want out.

Iron Savior is what you need. Quality power metal, start with Condition Red.

Silencia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:49 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Guardians of Time and Gaia Epicus

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:55 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Can anybody recommend me some darker power metal? I'm thinking along the lines of Beyond Twilight, though it's a prog band. Savatage and Tarot are also close to what I'm looking for.

You need to check out Dark at Dawn. Just read Empyreal's reviews.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:56 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
How about riffy power metal with testicles like Vicious Rumors, Pharaoh, Tad Morose etc?

Helstar!

Obviously you know about them though I'm sure.

That's probably getting into an entirely different discussion though.

Chrystus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:08 pm 

Kruel wrote:

Try Airwolf-Victory bells. Although it's the only power metal band I know of, I think their music has a sort of dark feeling. The vocals are clean but executed nicely. I wouldn't say that this is a very good album, but it has some memorable tracks such as "death metal rain" and "schizomania."
Let us ride the winds of blood

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:14 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

But if you want a band that is actually stellar, go for Paragon. IS are just a bit behind them. Oh and Hibria and Scanner, but I'm sure you already know Scanner.

Oh, and Dark at Dawn rule, yes. Also try Morgana Lefay's Grand Materia for similar stuff except more extreme and psychotic sounding.

ManofWar55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:35 pm 

I am just watching this topic. Also check my topic for Melodic Power Metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:39 pm 

ManofWar55 wrote:
I am just watching this topic.

Stalker.

Oh, and you guys should definitely try Insania's Sunrise in Riverland, for I don't know yet, but it might be the best flower metal album ever made.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 pm 

So im kinda looking for bands similar to Persuader.

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:43 pm 

Kruel wrote:

I'll second Dark At Dawn, good band. Start with their first album. Embraze is another band to check out (they reminded me a lot of Dark at Dawn).

Arch Nemesis is very good dark power metal, quite atmospheric. Their second album is highly recommended.

Arcana XXII's "This Burning Darkness" is quite good - kinda a mix between ballsy power metal and goth metal (picture Mezarkabul, Paradise Lost, and Fields of the Nephilim having an orgy). Quite an interesting and original album. A bit rough around the edges, but quite enjoyable. Avoid the album after this one, they fell flat on their faces on that one. :/

Black Destiny, Her Whisper, The Dogma, Dimension F3H (first album), Mylidian, Bejelit, Dyecrest (first album only), and The Claymore may be worth checking out too.

Silencia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:17 pm 

Everyone should listen to Oliver Magnum :D

hammerheart14
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:22 am 

You NEED Dark Moor-In the Halls of the Olden Domains and The Gates of Oblivion. But I warn you, ONLY get those two albums. two of the best power metal albums to have come out in, well, 15 years.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:23 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

But if you want a band that is actually stellar, go for Paragon. IS are just a bit behind them. Oh and Hibria and Scanner, but I'm sure you already know Scanner.

Oh, and Dark at Dawn rule, yes. Also try Morgana Lefay's Grand Materia for similar stuff except more extreme and psychotic sounding.

I haven't heard Scanner yet, but I'd take Condition Red over any of Paragon and Hibria... but the rest of Iron Savior isn't as essential as CR.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:24 am 

"Condition Red" is ok, but I found it very unmemorable and kinda boring. I've tried to get into that one for years and still no luck. I still can't figure out why that album is so praised, "Unification" and "Dark Assault" completely destroy it, IMO.

Actually, I found "Battering Ram" to be superior to "Condition Red" - at least I can remember 2 songs from that album.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 am 

Come to think of it, I haven't listened to Unification in ages but it used to be my favorite. I'd have to go back and take a listen it's been a while.

Unification has the awesome Dragonslayer song as well!

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:27 am 

That Excelsis song so doesn't fit :p My version of Unification (the Jap pressing) doesn't have that song - it has a cover of Helloween's "Metal Invaders" instead (for which I'm grateful). I'm probably partial towards Unification because it was one of the first power metal albums I got into.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:32 am 

I like Condition Red the best, too. "No Heroes," "Mindfeeder," "Paradise," "Tales of the Bold," "Thunderbird"...they just never stop hitting you.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:49 am 

Condition Red was definitely great, though the Priest influences seemed pretty heavy in that one, lol. I also like their debut, Unification, and Battering Ram.

The production on Dark Assault completely ruined it for me (I remember the drums sounding extremely odd) and Megatropolis, uh, I dunno. Didn't really interest me enough to listen to it that much.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:56 am 

Thanks for the recs, guys. Power metal is hardly my field, but these bands sound pretty interesting. :)
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:57 am 

666head wrote:
Also, similar bands to Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica would also be really nice.

Ahh, uptempo p(fl)ower metal recommendations, and a few not so uptempo:

Secret Sphere (their later releases are more squarely rooted in progressive metal, particularly it would be best to start with their debut Mistress of the Shadowlight if your looking for neo-classical power metal with alot of symphonic touches. And yes, high pitched singer with an accent is applicable)

Heavenblast (another Italian band that plays textbook flower-power metal with loads of double bass, symphonic keys, and a shrill voiced singer with an accent)

Highlord (similar to Heavenblast but better. Lots of neo-classical soloage and keyboard wankery--if you like that sort of thing, and you know you do)

Heimdall (very orchestral stuff more similar to earlier Stratovarius maybe. Their singer has a baritone voice, so this may be a nice change of pace)

Thy Majestie (not quite a Rhapsody of Fire clone, and not quite the most original band out there, but nice if you like your metal to sound "medieval" and epic)

Hyperion (Italian band that did one hard to find album of textbook Euro-power. Not the epitamy of originality, but great for melodic pm fans..IF you can track it down)

Pandamonium (If you love Blind Guardian, you will love (particuarly the second album) these Italians. Not a BG clone by any means though. And their singer is more or less, not the normal sounding pm singer.)

Athena (Get Twilight of Days. One of the speediest, most uptempo-ultra high vocals-bands out there.)

and I've already mentioned them, but:

Skylark (they are STILL relatively unknown in the power metal world, so I think it deserves a mention here. They are not for everyone though, especially if you consider alot of Euro-power to "be lacking balls". The rest of you, however, that enjoy particularly melodic keyboard-heavy pm ala Stratovarius or Angra, should be able to get into Skylark, though they are the most keyboard-driven band I can name, though they do have the riffs to back it up. Start with Divine Gates 1 or 2. Either would be a nice introduction.)
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:59 am 

@ Xeogred:
I've never had any issues with Dark Assault's production, but I guess I have a bit of nostalgia tied in with that album. The debut is fun, but inconsistent.

Megatropolis, on the other hand, is just weak, lame, and half-assed.

With Iron Savior, I'd rate their albums:
"S/T" = 80%
"Unification" = 90%
"Dark Assault" = 85%
"Condition Red" = 70%
"Battering Ram" = 75%
"Megatropolis" = 60% (and that's being generous)

It seems like all the 90's pm titans have run out of gas these days (Kamelot and Blind Guardian faring better than their peers, but even their last albums don't measure up to their glory days).

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:06 am 

Hmm, well I can say it's been forever since I've heard it, maybe I'd like it now.

Quote:
It seems like all the 90's pm titans have run out of gas these days (Kamelot and Blind Guardian faring better than their peers, but even their last albums don't measure up to their glory days).

Definitely. I think a lot of us have talked about this in FFA before a few times, but it really seems to be the case. Although I think I've found my niche' in old school speed, USPM, thrash, etc, I was pretty much introduced to metal by the more modern and European power metal bands. So I think I can say I still have somewhat of an ear for the stuff, but I really haven't heard anything noteworthy in ... years? The only thing I think I'd be pretty hyped about is Hibria's next album, whenever that'll happen. Other than that, I don't know. A lot of those bands powerful in the 90's just sound like they've continued on a little longer than they should've.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:15 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Hmm, well I can say it's been forever since I've heard it, maybe I'd like it now.

Quote:

Definitely. I think a lot of us have talked about this in FFA before a few times, but it really seems to be the case. Although I think I've found my niche' in old school speed, USPM, thrash, etc, I was pretty much introduced to metal by the more modern and European power metal bands. So I think I can say I still have somewhat of an ear for the stuff, but I really haven't heard anything noteworthy in ... years? The only thing I think I'd be pretty hyped about is Hibria's next album, whenever that'll happen. Other than that, I don't know. A lot of those bands powerful in the 90's just sound like they've continued on a little longer than they should've.

You aren't missing much, the last couple years haven't been kind to power metal. In fact, most of my fave albums of the last few years haven't been power metal at all.

That Steel Assassin I like a lot, and that one still continues to grow on me. I almost like that one as much as that Anubis Gate (which is probably my fave album from last year - and that one took several plays to grow on me too). Timelord's "Regeneration" was very good too, I'm disappointed that not many people seem to know them.

From this year, that new Dantesco has promise. I bought that CD recently and somewhat enjoyed it - I feel, like their debut, its a "grower" album.

I have the sinking fear that Hibria will be a letdown. Anytime there's a long delay between albums, that's often a bad sign. Also, there's the good 'ol sophomore jinx. I hope it'll be good though, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm eager to hear the upcoming albums from Battlerage, Lanfear, The Claymore, Bloden-Wedd, Heimdall, Lost Horizon, Ironsword, Timeless Miracle, and Triosphere.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:13 am 

Hooray for Triosphere!

Power metal has been my least explored branch of metal for a while now. I just don't like stuff like Insania and Excalion. Timelord isn't bad but I can't find any power metal I enjoy as much as those bands I mentioned earlier. Tad Morose rule, but since losing Urban Breed I'm not sure about their future. I haven't liked Blind Guardian since Nightfall, don't like the new Pyramaze (or the old ones), never really liked Helloween or Iron Savior, Dark at Dawn are decent but didn't amaze me, Communic's new album is a step down in quality, Angel Dust aren't good anymore...

I'm looking forward to Hibria but that's about it in this genre. Well, the new Pharaoh might be good, haven't listened much (seems solid, "Dark New Life" is fucking killer). Anubis Gate are great when they're great, but Andromeda Unchained seems inconsistent to me.

Sabaton are above average for me, but only a few songs have much staying power.

Last edited by Nahsil on Sun May 18, 2008 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:17 am 

Have you tried Sabaton? I'm sure you'll enjoy their debut. Their new album leaked too, but I haven't listened to it yet...

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:21 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Hooray for Triosphere!

Power metal has been my least explored branch of metal for a while now. I just don't like stuff like Insania and Excalion.

Those two bands I never cared much for, actually. I vaguely recall one of Insania's older albums blatantly ripping off Stratovarius.

Quote:
Timelord isn't bad but I can't find any power metal I enjoy as much as those bands I mentioned earlier. Tad Morose rule, but since losing Urban Breed I'm not sure about their future.

For some strange reason, despite owning all their CDs, Tad Morose hasn't clicked with me yet. I do recall preferring their mid to new stuff over their old stuff though. I probably should dust those CDs off and give 'em another go.

Quote:
I haven't liked Blind Guardian since Nightfall, don't like the new Pyramaze (or the old ones), never really liked Helloween or Iron Savior, Dark at Dawn are decent but didn't amaze me, Communic's new album is a step down in quality, Angel Dust aren't good anymore...

"A Night at the Opera" I found neat - I was disappointed that BG didn't go 100% in the prog direction after that album. "A Twist in the Myth" seemed a bit, dumbed down and half assed (just like everything on Nuclear Blast). Angel Dust... ehhh, I'll be amazed if their supposed upcoming album will be any good. "Bleed" and "Enlighten the Darkness" are great albums though.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to Hibria but that's about it in this genre. Well, the new Pharaoh might be good, haven't listened much. Anubis Gate are great when they're great, but Andromeda Unchained seems inconsistent to me.

My initial impression of Andromeda Unchained was similar, but as I played it more, all the songs grew on me more and fit together as a whole (reading the lyrics/understanding the album's concept helped a bit too).

Assedium and Battleroar's released new albums - no idea if those will be any good, but I may give those a shot (I wasn't thrilled with their older material, but bands can improve with time, and they're both in one of my favorite styles of music).

Manilla Road's latest album was a slight letdown, but it slowly grew on me from play #1 to play #2, so I'm guessing its a grower too.

Last edited by ~Guest 76452 on Sun May 18, 2008 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:28 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Have you tried Sabaton? I'm sure you'll enjoy their debut. Their new album leaked too, but I haven't listened to it yet...

Sabaton is merely ok. They're one of those bands that should absolutely kill, but just... don't. They have a cool concept/gimmick, but lack the ballsy riffs to back things up. Despite that, they're still fun/neat to listen to.

Their new album was ok - those who hated the last album will hate this one, those who liked it will probably like it too. Its sad that that the only song on the album with any balls is the last one - if the entire album was like that, it would've ruled. With the first song, the keyboards reminded me of Royal Hunt of all things (NOT a good thing, to be honest).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:28 am 

I have both the new Assedium and the new Battleroar. Battleroar have never clicked with me, this one isn't any exception...haven't given Assedium a thorough listen yet.

I'd say Voyager is definitely a grower.

This Pharaoh is very good! If any of you liked The Longest Night, pretty much guaranteed you'll like Be Gone.

Tad Morose connected with me on Modus Vivendi. I can't deny the power of Urban Breed. The older albums weren't love at first listen, but I need to slow down and spend more time with them.

Last edited by Nahsil on Sun May 18, 2008 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 624  Next