Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:14 pm 

Prodd wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Being against the military means being pro-freedom.

No, it means being disillusioned. Why are you talking like an idealist?

Who decides what is disillusioning? And who says that wanting freedom is idealist?

By the way, we're stirring far from the topic. I'll just shut up.

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:48 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Prodd wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Being against the military means being pro-freedom.

No, it means being disillusioned. Why are you talking like an idealist?

Who decides what is disillusioning? And who says that wanting freedom is idealist?

By the way, we're stirring far from the topic. I'll just shut up.

Yeah, we did trail off from my original topic. I seem to derail about half of my own threads. I do want to point out, however, that in the history of the United States, the military played a very crucial role in granting our freedom. And not just from ye olde England, but also in ending slavery--and granting them their freedom. Many of the best political leaders in the US got their discipline and leadership from their military past, probably most notably, George Washington.

Anyway, derailment is par for the course of many an MA topic.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:01 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

It's our choice to join the military. Often times, higher officials choose where to send us, but there are times when soldiers can volunteer for deployments. Blaming soldiers at all is still stupid because we didn't decide to start a war. That's a political decision. The politicians are the ones to blame. We're just doing our jobs.

Now, in the case of something disgraceful like Abu Graib, those guys can be blamed for thier own moronic actions. Feel free to hate them. That kind of conduct is not condoned by the US Military. (The CIA maybe!)

As long as it is your choice to join their military it's someones right to express his opinion about it. As it is your choice to express your opinion about their own choices. Freedom of expression my friend ;)

And don't worry. No one blames you for starting a war. They just blame you for joining military.

That's essentially "blaming me" for making a choice that made life better for my family, who are the people I was looking out for in the first place. People can be angry about it, sure--that's their right--but it's a stupid thing to be angry about. That's like being mad at someone for being a police officer. Or blaming you for getting a job with great benefits. The only difference is that my job could potentially involve gun violence.

Blaming someone for being a police officer?

Look, you knew there was a chance you'd go to war had you enlisted. You don't get to say "but oh if I think there is no reason for this war..." Cops are definitely more respectable because they risk their lives for something that always has meaning. You can't really compare soldiers and cops.

Personally, I'm a little "grey" on the whole soldier thing...

Edit: Also I'd like to add the fact that my father was super-religious probably made me as anti-religious as I am; however, I wouldn't care if my future children were religious, just as long as they are for the right reasons and aren't forceful.

Edit: Also, I remember being forced to listen to some Christian speakers where I worked as a hostess (guiding people to their tables). THAT was annoying and rude.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:39 pm 

InfernoNecrosis wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

It's our choice to join the military. Often times, higher officials choose where to send us, but there are times when soldiers can volunteer for deployments. Blaming soldiers at all is still stupid because we didn't decide to start a war. That's a political decision. The politicians are the ones to blame. We're just doing our jobs.

Now, in the case of something disgraceful like Abu Graib, those guys can be blamed for thier own moronic actions. Feel free to hate them. That kind of conduct is not condoned by the US Military. (The CIA maybe!)

As long as it is your choice to join their military it's someones right to express his opinion about it. As it is your choice to express your opinion about their own choices. Freedom of expression my friend ;)

And don't worry. No one blames you for starting a war. They just blame you for joining military.

That's essentially "blaming me" for making a choice that made life better for my family, who are the people I was looking out for in the first place. People can be angry about it, sure--that's their right--but it's a stupid thing to be angry about. That's like being mad at someone for being a police officer. Or blaming you for getting a job with great benefits. The only difference is that my job could potentially involve gun violence.

Blaming someone for being a police officer?

Look, you knew there was a chance you'd go to war had you enlisted. You don't get to say "but oh if I think there is no reason for this war..." Cops are definitely more respectable because they risk their lives for something that always has meaning. You can't really compare soldiers and cops.

Personally, I'm a little "grey" on the whole soldier thing...

Edit: Also I'd like to add the fact that my father was super-religious probably made me as anti-religious as I am; however, I wouldn't care if my future children were religious, just as long as they are for the right reasons and aren't forceful.

Edit: Also, I remember being forced to listen to some Christian speakers where I worked as a hostess (guiding people to their tables). THAT was annoying and rude.

I'll respond to that blurb in a PM because I don't want to further derail this thread.

Blanketed_by_snow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:03 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Resident, Check out the movie Jesus Camp. Its basically exactly what you are talking about except in regards to the evangelical religious base. The movie surrounds a woman and her children's ministry. The movie is frighteningly scary for a documentary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486358/

As an aside, I always enjoy your threads. In fact, I read all of them. Very down to earth and reasonable.

yes, this movie made me sick. I myself am a Christian, but not of that sort. I was raised Catholic, and my mother told me to ultimately belive whatever I wanted to believe. This movie shows the kind of proganda that millions of Americans spew out daily at their children! With their views on global warming and other stuff, I cringe when I think of the fact that they are a large % of voters in our country...

MySanityDoesFly wrote:
I don't care who fucks who, as long as they enjoy it.

untold
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:21 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Jesus Camp? I wonder if Blockbuster carries it...

google video.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:59 am 

untold wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Jesus Camp? I wonder if Blockbuster carries it...

google video.

I was channel surfing the other day and noticed it was on A&E or something, but there was only about a half an hour left and I didn't want to just jump in at the end. I should dig through the On-Demand set-up and see if it's in there somewhere.

It might be.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2