Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:33 pm 

I'm looking for some black metal, that is hateful and about bikes.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:36 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
I'm looking for some black metal, that is hateful and about bikes.
There is only one answer to this.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:37 pm 

Lulz.

Bicyklothorturerere

Edit:
Erm, that was a fast edit...

ZackP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:59 pm 

iAm wrote:
big cocks in my ass.

Bicyklothorturerere

Edit:
Erm, that was a fast edit...

interesting statement, are you of the homosexual variety?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:06 am 

The origional post said Lulz in replace of that...
It was an edit by the mods, probably because I posted that particular band.

JESUS.

Quik.
EDIT:
Done posting in this thread... bye!

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:13 am 

Does it have to be a specific type of black metal or can it be fusion with another genre? I don't really like "straight up" or "pure" black metal, but I enjoy Viking metal, some folk/black, melodic death/black, etc.

What I'm looking for specifically though is a mix of black metal and power or speed metal. Stormlord would be the best and only representative of this style that I know about and listen to, but I'm looking for more. Any recs?

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:42 am 

The closest I can think of right now is the first Arkona release. It is a melding of power and folk metal, but probably not in the literal sense. I mean, it's not exactly Skyforger + Ostrogoth, but without the Russian folk stylings it would indeed sound like straight power metal.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:44 am 

Profugus Mortis and Xanthos are what you're looking for. Both incorporate the violin, and create beautiful melodies while the vocals are black metal.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Imret
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:54 am 

Mid-era Lugubrum: tortured vocals and sometimes (just sometimes, alas, they're uneven) exceed ANY band I've ever heard in terms of sheer twisted hatred, and I'm a fan of many of the LLN bands. Of course, this is when they're not playing drunken odes to farm animals on banjos. This is a serious recommendation by the way, check out their split with Sudarium (who might be the single worst black metal band ever, I really ought to submit a review), it's some truly raw and hateful stuff.

coffinfeeder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:05 am 

im after some good black metal like ephelse or beherit (drawing down the moon) something with good atmosphear and vocals
hmm wolves in the throne room is good

and the new (re-make) moonspell album like the song wolves of fog or goat on fire..

even borknagars early stuff the atmospher is great

like when bands use rain and thunder and wind and church bells and huanting sybth..

can any one sergest some bands ?

(sorry for the spelling)

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:47 am 

coffinfeeder wrote:
im after some good black metal like ephelse or beherit (drawing down the moon) something with good atmosphear and vocals
hmm wolves in the throne room is good

and the new (re-make) moonspell album like the song wolves of fog or goat on fire..

even borknagars early stuff the atmospher is great

like when bands use rain and thunder and wind and church bells and huanting sybth..

can any one sergest some bands ?

(sorry for the spelling)

No, I don't think anyone can help you. Sorry!

For church bells, rain, thunder, wind, synth, and aptmosphere, try the first demo "The Bemoaning of Metatron" by The Meads of Asphodel. It's right up your alley.

ampc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:53 am 

iAm wrote:
The origional post said big cocks in my ass in replace of that...

JESUS.

Quik.
EDIT:

Oh FFS, its a forum filter, not a moderator.

They do it for the [insert popular internet bastardization of the acronym for "laugh out loud" here].

firescarredmartyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:58 am 

Can anyone recommend me some thrashy black metal in the vein of Grand Belial's Key?

antzology
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:46 am 

Just a querry, not really looking for bands, I suppose this would go here.

Can you decipher the vocals to most black metal? Stuff like Gorgoroth (just listened to them for the first time, like it alot). Any particular technique to understanding them?

firescarredmartyr wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some thrashy black metal in the vein of Grand Belial's Key?

Destoyer 666 (listed as Blackened Thrash/Death metal) is a thrash black(ish) metal band that I like, though I can't compare them to the band you said since I haven't heard it.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:08 am 

I am searching for something alike Nahar's "Winter Night Overture". Very monotonous drums in the background, a vocalist that sounds like he would draw his last breath, an atmosphere which reminds someone on a desolate landscape, a lot of repetition in the motives and riffs; which are very catchy.

It has some resemblance to the depressive BM, but the screams are not high pitched; they are darker.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

sogens
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:20 am 

firescarredmartyr wrote:

Anal Vomit (probably more death metal but still worth checking out)
Denouncement Pyre
Blodsrit
Bestial Warlust
Ghastly

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:22 am 

An unusual request I guess, but black metal that lacks anger. Not necessarily harshness, as harsh vox etc. are fine and great, but I'm looking for an atmosphere that is more tranquil - wolves in the throne room are an approximation of what I mean. Something that takes the listener for a ride instead of giving them a thrashing.

Gothus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:38 am 

Good idea Mors, especially because you're probably the expert on black metal here.

Anyways, I want a Hellenic sounding Black Metal band with atmosphere, maybe something like Kawir's Epoptia.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:49 am 

GBK thrashy??? :???:

Anyhow. A band that makes me think of GBK is without doubt Negative Plane.
Check them out!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:11 am 

I'm a fucking sucker for BM with solos. I love Vlad Tepes and Peste Noire. I'm not big on keyboards unless the use is fairly subtle. Any suggestions?

edit: Maybe I should specify that I'm not looking for black thrash bands like D666, Gospel of the Horns, Grenade, Old, etc etc. I'd prefer traditional BM sounding riffs mixed with more traditional metal styled soloing.

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:39 am 

ampc wrote:
iAm wrote:
The origional post said big cocks in my ass in replace of that...

JESUS.

Quik.
EDIT:

Oh FFS, its a forum filter, not a moderator.

They do it for the [insert popular internet bastardization of the acronym for "laugh out loud" here].

lol lawl lulz test

That kinda sucks they filtered the best one.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:43 am 

antzology wrote:
Can you decipher the vocals to most black metal? Stuff like Gorgoroth (just listened to them for the first time, like it alot). Any particular technique to understanding them?

Yes, most of the time if I really listen I can figure out the lyrics. It just comes from listening to black metal a lot. You pick up on common sounds, you can descern through the noise better, maybe your ears get sharper or something. It comes with time.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:46 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm a fucking sucker for BM with solos. I love Vlad Tepes and Peste Noire. I'm not big on keyboards unless the use is fairly subtle. Any suggestions?

edit: Maybe I should specify that I'm not looking for black thrash bands like D666, Gospel of the Horns, Grenade, Old, etc etc. I'd prefer traditional BM sounding riffs mixed with more traditional metal styled soloing.

Seviss is right for you, LLN band with great raw riffs and plenty of heavy metal style solos, has a somewhat epic, though feral, feel to them. Also, Morturary Drape is the classic band of the black/heavy style, you should check out.

Chaos_Llama wrote:
An unusual request I guess, but black metal that lacks anger. Not necessarily harshness, as harsh vox etc. are fine and great, but I'm looking for an atmosphere that is more tranquil - wolves in the throne room are an approximation of what I mean. Something that takes the listener for a ride instead of giving them a thrashing.

Vinterriket is certainly not going to give you a thrashing, it may be ok for you. I'm assuming you've already heard Burzum, but just in case, any Burzum album will do you great. You may also want to look into Summoning. Nice, classy black metal (everything before LMHSYF anyway) that really does take you on a ride all through the magical realm you wish you could visit.

One last thing, for the love of metal, throw away your Wolves In The Throne Room cds, or mp3s, or whatever you have. You'll be doing yourself, and everyone in the world a huge favor. Just smash them up and send them to hell.

Last edited by Lord_Hate on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:50 am 

matras wrote:
GBK thrashy??? :???:

Anyhow. A band that makes me think of GBK is without doubt Negative Plane.
Check them out!

Yeah, I second both elements of that post - GBK aren't remotely thrashy...but yeah, Negative Plane have a similar feel, as do the aforementioned Anal Vomit (Depravation is AMAZING), Arghoslent on 'Incorrigible Bigotry' (more DM, but nevertheless similar) and - now stretching it a bit - you could also try Nocturnal Graves and Nifelheim (SWE).

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:54 am 

Tantalus wrote:
Arghoslent on 'Incorrigible Bigotry' (more DM, but nevertheless similar)

That album sounds more like the new Dragonforce record than it does any Grand Belial's Key release.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:02 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
Tantalus wrote:

That album sounds more like the new Dragonforce record than it does any Grand Belial's Key release.

......?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:08 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Does it have to be a specific type of black metal or can it be fusion with another genre? I don't really like "straight up" or "pure" black metal, but I enjoy Viking metal, some folk/black, melodic death/black, etc.

What I'm looking for specifically though is a mix of black metal and power or speed metal. Stormlord would be the best and only representative of this style that I know about and listen to, but I'm looking for more. Any recs?

You could try Ancient Rites. In my opinion they're much better than Stormlord, but still, not quite my cup of tea most of the time, although the old stuff is decent. From 'Fatherland" onwards they started incorporating a lot of keyboards, melodic leads and occasional singing. It's quite grand music and the lyrics are pretty intelligent.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:12 pm 

Chaos_Llama wrote:

Try Fleurety's debut. I'd really say it's not black metal in a sense, because the mood isn't really black at all. If we employ the much-overused black metal and weather analogy, Fleurety is more like early autumn than winter. Lots of major keys, warm, vibrant bass sounds and slightly jazz-influenced drumming. Might review that album soon.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:13 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Seviss is right for you, LLN band with great raw riffs and plenty of heavy metal style solos, has a somewhat epic, though feral, feel to them. Also, Morturary Drape is the classic band of the black/heavy style, you should check out.

This is exactly what I was looking for. The riffs and the tone are fucking immaculate. If anyone else has suggestions along the lines of Seviss, Peste Noire, or Vlad Tepes, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:16 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
Tantalus wrote:

Sounds absolutely nothing like Dragonforce.

Strange Death Metal

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:17 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Lord_Hate wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

This is exactly what I was looking for. The riffs and the tone are fucking immaculate. If anyone else has suggestions along the lines of Seviss, Peste Noire, or Vlad Tepes, don't hesitate to let me know.

I'm definitely going to second Mortuary Drape. One of the best metal (not just black) bands ever. Also, Necromantia would serve you well, if you haven't already heard them. The Greek bands are often not shy on solos, come to think of it. Master's Hammer's "RItual" has some pretty cool solos, or at least, leads. Root, too, of course ... particularly look out for "Hell Symphony". Hah, I always suggest the same bands .. ah well. :D

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:22 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
Lord_Hate wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

I'm definitely going to second Mortuary Drape. One of the best metal (not just black) bands ever. Also, Necromantia would serve you well, if you haven't already heard them. The Greek bands are often not shy on solos, come to think of it. Master's Hammer's "RItual" has some pretty cool solos, or at least, leads. Root, too, of course ... particularly look out for "Hell Symphony". Hah, I always suggest the same bands .. ah well. :D

Shit, I meant to mention in my last post that I was already very familiar with Mortuary Drape. I about shit my pants the first time I heard them. I was in a perpetual state of "Can you DO that in black metal?". I also just recently started listening to Master's Hammer and fucking love it, although Ritual is the only one I've heard so far. It seems that they stray even further away from a normal BM sound on their other stuff. I'll definitely look into Necromantia and Root, thanks.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:39 pm 

Someone asked something in the vein of Negura Bunget, I'm interested about that sound, also bands like Drudh, Kroda (not that much) and Wolves in the Throne Room. I consider WitTR, Drudh and NB the most interesting and "original" bands at the moment, and I think that has to do with the atmosphere they have. So, once again, bands with atm., but not deppressive BM, wich vocals in general sucks
Not hearsay but the will of man

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:51 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
Lord_Hate wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Shit, I meant to mention in my last post that I was already very familiar with Mortuary Drape. I about shit my pants the first time I heard them. I was in a perpetual state of "Can you DO that in black metal?". I also just recently started listening to Master's Hammer and fucking love it, although Ritual is the only one I've heard so far. It seems that they stray even further away from a normal BM sound on their other stuff. I'll definitely look into Necromantia and Root, thanks.

Haha, know exactly what you mean about the Drape, although to be honest the first time I heard them it was the "All the Witches Dance" album and I did not like it at all. Don't know what was wrong with me .. I think I had trouble with the thin guitars and comparatively loud and up-front bass, but I sure don't nowadays.

Yeah, "Ritual" is the only really great Master's Hammer album, but the second one is definitely worth getting, too .. yes, it's very strange, and it does include what is perhaps the best song they ever wrote.

I miss the solos in Necromantia quite a bit. I've listened to their newest album a couple of times now and while it's really good, actually perhaps better than "Malice" as a whole (though it lacks a totally stand out jaw-droppingly good track like that album had in "Those Who Never Sleep), there don't seem to be many leads on this one at all. Ah well. "Scarlet Evil, WItching Black" has really nice solos; you should look into that one.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:58 pm 

I'm blasting Root's "Hell Symphony" right now. I didn't expect my request to yield results this good. I'm only on the 4th track but its so apparent this is going to be an incredible album through and through. I love the way the riffs flirt with thrashiness, but retain a black metal identity. I have "Crossing the Fiery Path" queue'd up after this, which I should have been assaulted for not already having, based on the cover art alone. Scarlet Evil Witching Black is up after that. I'm a selfish fuck, and you guys can't seem to do any wrong right now. If you have more suggestions lets hear 'em.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:05 pm 

Might as well give Flames Of Hell and their album "Fire and Steel" a try. It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it is old, proto-black metal very similar to Roots and Mortuary Drape. It's more thrash than heavy metal styled, but that is in no way a bad thing. They are actually my favorite of the three. It's got these amayzing soaring vocals too, love it when the guy shouts "Eeeeeeviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!!"

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:23 pm 

It definitely appears to be more thrash oriented than what I was looking for, but I couldn't fault someone for a good black/thrash rec. as thats one of the genres I listen to the most. I'm almost done with "Crossing The Fiery Path" now, and aside from the writing seeming to get completely lost/confused in the middle of The Warlock this has been a very satisfying listen. I love the crunchy sound of the 8-string bass. I'm expecting SEWB to be even better, but this has been a very worthy appetizer.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:43 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm blasting Root's "Hell Symphony" right now. I didn't expect my request to yield results this good. I'm only on the 4th track but its so apparent this is going to be an incredible album through and through.

Abadon
slayer!
Abadon
crusher!
Abadon
DESTROYER!

:D

One of my favourite bands, for sure; you should check out all their albums really,, even their new nebulously classifiable metal (they still have a pretty black atmosphere though if you ask me) is unbelievably good.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
Might as well give Flames Of Hell and their album "Fire and Steel" a try. It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it is old, proto-black metal very similar to Roots and Mortuary Drape. It's more thrash than heavy metal styled, but that is in no way a bad thing. They are actually my favorite of the three. It's got these amayzing soaring vocals too, love it when the guy shouts "Eeeeeeviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!!"

I made a post on this earlier; not quite sure what happened to it, the board seemed to get all wanky for a moment.

THe vocals are indeed ... quite something. They made me think a bit of the more crazed/unhinged/high shrieks from the Japanese Sabbat, orr, as my friend says, like Tim Baker (Cirith Ungol) fronting a very loose and sloppy black metal band. I kind of agree with Gutterscream's review of the album, though I should probably give it a few more listens.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next