Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:07 pm 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
I think modern warfare is more badass than anything pre-gun.

Here I have to disagree. Although the risk is as grave, there seems to be less opportunity for individual distinction. It's almost impossible for a single man to prove his courage on the field of battle when, today, the mere push of a button can obliterate entire battalions.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:14 pm 

Hah, tell that to Simo Häyhä. In any case, I don't care about individual distinction when determining my opinion on the matter.

Strange Death Metal

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:50 pm 

DBettino wrote:

Here I have to disagree. Although the risk is as grave, there seems to be less opportunity for individual distinction. It's almost impossible for a single man to prove his courage on the field of battle when, today, the mere push of a button can obliterate entire battalions.

SMITH, PAUL R.

Rank and Organization: Sergeant First Class, United States Army

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on 4 April 2003. On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 fellow soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers. As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60mm mortar round. Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force. During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers. Sergeant First Class Smith’s extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division “Rock of the Marne,” and the United States Army.

It does not get much more heroic then that.

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:57 pm 

DBettino wrote:

Here I have to disagree.

Gentlemen, please. Can we not simply agree that warfare is badass in and of itself? :P

WitchCraft
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:49 pm 

DBettino wrote:

If that were true then there would be no need for my job as an Infantryman. Actually, the way we are fighting, it's coming down to the skill of the "boots on the ground." Right now pretty much everything revolves around the Infantry, and it's about the prowess, physical ability, intelligence and accuracy of the individual Infantryman and his capability to work well with a team of soldiers.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:24 pm 

WitchCraft wrote:
DBettino wrote:

If that were true then there would be no need for my job as an Infantryman. Actually, the way we are fighting, it's coming down to the skill of the "boots on the ground." Right now pretty much everything revolves around the Infantry, and it's about the prowess, physical ability, intelligence and accuracy of the individual Infantryman and his capability to work well with a team of soldiers.

You're in the infantry? Are you referring to Army or Marines?

I'm part of an Infantry Division, but my job is not such. To be quite honest, I'd be downright terrible at it.

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:31 pm 

Hacking down enemies, burning and looting towns>dropping bomb on town. The geneva conventions make it impossible to loot for money as well.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:45 pm 

Sir_General_Flashman wrote:
Hacking down enemies, burning and looting towns>dropping bomb on town. The geneva conventions make it impossible to loot for money as well.

Thankfully however a few of our soldiers have been able to get a little rape and murder in.

On a side note involving topics breaking conventions, this man is a credit to his country and The Corps.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6450546087

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 pm 

All the U.S. army has to do to recruit is say:

"Join the army now and get the virgin of your choice. Also, once a month, we pick a random town for your brigade to loot for 3 days."

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2