Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pingu53
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:54 pm 

Well i'd like to hear peoples opionions on wether they think anythings gonna happen, something in my mind just kinda knows somethings gonna happen...

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:57 pm 

Not a good idea for a topic. It's not even this year, or the next, but 4years later. How the hell are we supposed to guess things?
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:58 pm 

Well let's see....the Olympics will be that year; it will be the end of our next presiden't first term; February will have 29 days...

pingu53
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:59 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Not a good idea for a topic. It's not even this year, or the next, but 4years later. How the hell are we supposed to guess things?

http://survive2012.com/

read it

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:01 pm 

pingu53 wrote:
http://survive2012.com/

read it

Oh right, forgot about doomsday.

pseudodraconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:11 pm 

A time traveler told me on a message board that Jacksonville and Washington DC would be bombed in 2012. Then there will be a great American civil war, which will end in an intense World War III.

He didn't mean to tell me that though, he just needed a few pieces to an IBM computer or something from the seventies.

Edit: This article basically says that the Mayans put a lot of significance on the end date of their calendars, which is December 2012. It doesn't really mean that they thought the world was going to end. The sun will be aligned with the center of the galaxy for the first time in 26,000 years, apparently.

mpawluk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:23 pm 

Kruel wrote:

Well, the Mayans guessed thousands of years back. I think he meant to list the ways it might end.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:24 pm 

From what I've understood, the year is just when the Mayan calender ended, and had no other significant importance.

Strange Death Metal

Ibex_Ichor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:24 pm 

Haha, my best friend has joked around with me about America being long overdo for another civil war. Not to mention the whole "end of the world" scenario getting a bad rap. It's always looked at with a negative point of view it seems.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:32 pm 

Ok, what's the scientific evidence for the world ending in 2012? Are we supposed to believe in an ancient Mayan prophecy?
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:33 pm 

In 2012, I will be 33 years old which is how old Jesus was when he was crucified.

My birthday is March 3 (3/3).

Mary Magdalene, The Holy Grail, supposedly fled to France to escape persecution. Here she possibly gave birth to the offspring of Jesus.

I have French ancestry.

In the autumn of 1997, before I'd even thought of any of this, I had myself convinced for 15 minutes that I was the second coming of Jesus.

What does all this mean?

Absolutely nothing.

pseudodraconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:33 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Ok, what's the scientific evidence for the world ending in 2012? Are we supposed to believe in an ancient Mayan prophecy?

Only if you want to put some more money into the wallets of crack-pot doomsday theorists by buying their book to learn how to save yourself from the end of the world.

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
From what I've understood, the year is just when the Mayan calender ended, and had no other significant importance.

What I read, a few years ago or so when someone first told me about it, they did see it with some importance. It had something to do with their mythology involving the "sacred tree" or whatever that was the center of the galaxy where their gods were born. I don't really remember that well. I'd go look for more information, but so much of it is probably full of crazy doomsday sites that it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

Like that survive2012 site, for example:

Quote:
Future chapters will look into:

* Global Grids
* Evolution
* Unicorns
* Space Threats
* Carbon Dating
* Myths
* Doomsday Scenarios
* How and where to survive

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 pm 

Cruciphage wrote:
In 2012, I will be 33 years old which is how old Jesus was when he was crucified.

Mary Magdalene, The Holy Grail, supposedly fled to France to escape persecution. Here she possibly gave birth to the offspring of Jesus.

I have French ancestry.

In the autumn of 1997, before I'd even thought of any of this, I had myself convinced for 15 minutes that I was the second coming of Jesus.

What does all this mean?

EVERYTHING!

Welcome back, messiah!

:bow:
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 19003
Boiling in the Hourglass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:11 pm 

If this isn't a lame joke, the OP is fru-fru on a level surpassing PumpkinFlyFree. And if it is a joke it's exactly the sort of thing that's not meant for this new subforum.

Could it be possible for locked topics to be invisible here? Not deleted, but removed from the clutter. That of course is going on the pessimistic assumption that this will soon be filled with unworthy threads.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:13 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Cruciphage wrote:

I have French ancestry.

What does all this mean?

EVERYTHING!

Welcome back, messiah!

:bow:

:lol: Does that mean I actually get the opportunity to crucify Jesus Christ in the name of our almighty Lord Satan?

Well, back on the subject, so this has no scientific evidence, right? Now, I don't think this thread even belongs on the Symposium.

Cjk10000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:14 pm 

Has anyone thought they were probably going to do the months after it, but ended up dying instead and just happened to stop there?
I mean, they could have written it to 3000 AD, and then got wiped out or something... and people would pinpoint that as the doomsday.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:14 pm 

swineeyedlamb wrote:
If this isn't a lame joke, the OP is fru-fru on a level surpassing PumpkinFlyFree. And if it is a joke it's exactly the sort of thing that's not meant for this new subforum.

Could it be possible for locked topics to be invisible here? Not deleted, but removed from the clutter. That of course is going on the pessimistic assumption that this will soon be filled with unworthy threads.

I think some legitimate discussion of the prophecies of apocalypse from the Mayans can be held, but the manner in which this topic was presented is very crass, given the section it's posted in.

Strange Death Metal

Kurtemba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:44 pm 

I believe that the Mayans just decided to stop doing the calender at that exact date. I have a book of Calenders and it stops at 2048. Does it means that the world ends at 2048?? I don't think so.

Well, that's just my opinion. I'm open to other opinions.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:48 pm 

If these heart-eating savages were so smart, how come they got their shit wrecked by the Spaniards?

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:50 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
If these heart-eating savages were so smart, how come they got their shit wrecked by the Spaniards?

Swords, cannons, guns, disease (Biggest killer there)...Typical stuff of genocide.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:50 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:

Because they trusted the Spaniards. The stuff Path mentions is the how, that's the why.

And they were smart.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:52 pm 

I have no doubt that they were fairly smart in some areas, but I don't think we should trust them on the whole doomsday issue. They weren't the most scientific of tribes.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:53 pm 

No, I don't think anyone is suggesting that...

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:55 pm 

The fact that they were devastated by a culture that had superior weapons of warfare does nothing to discredit their suggestion, but rather the fact that this supposition was most likely the result of superstition.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:02 am 

The Spanish were smarter than Mayans in some areas, and Mayans in others, though probably not in calculating the year of Doomsday.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30 am 

Kruel wrote:

Not a good idea for a topic?? This has been my most common subject matter over the years!

The Mayans predicted it, the Bible Code predicts it, the internet bot predicts it--and by "it," I mean the end-times that are to occur December 21, 2012.

By which, I mean, I've often touted myself as the savior of humanity in the aftermath in which will be a new ruling goverment system sorta like a Democracy, but better, which I shall dub a "Meganocracy" (the details of which I have not fully determined). Eugenics will be of primary concern as will be a "sterilization" of "past problems" with nuclear weapons used to "clense" various parts of the earth.

Yeah, I know, it's been a while, but some of the older members (Throgrim, Alexanderthegreat, etc) may recall my ramblings.

I personally "don't believe" in the end-times predictions, but find the coincidences in the predictions to be extremely interesting, and I remain hopeful. Yes, you read right, "hopeful" that the world will be destroyed and allowed to start anew.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:32 am 

In the year 2385, at 3:15 PM on a fourth Saturday of the year, Jesus him self will come down and party with us.

Why should I believe the world will end in 2012? Cause some ancient civilization said so?

Kurtemba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:33 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I personally "don't believe" in the end-times predictions, but find the coincidences in the predictions to be extremely interesting, and I remain hopeful. Yes, you read right, "hopeful" that the world will be destroyed and allowed to start anew.

There is a red Indian prophecy about 2012 too but the prophecy says the world won't be renewed this time.

I don't believe it but it sounds interesting though.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:38 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Not a good idea for a topic?? This has been my most common subject matter over the years!

The Mayans predicted it, the Bible Code predicts it, the internet bot predicts it--and by "it," I mean the end-times that are to occur December 21, 2012.

By which, I mean, I've often touted myself as the savior of humanity in the aftermath in which will be a new ruling goverment system sorta like a Democracy, but better, which I shall dub a "Meganocracy" (the details of which I have not fully determined). Eugenics will be of primary concern as will be a "sterilization" of "past problems" with nuclear weapons used to "clense" various parts of the earth.

Yeah, I know, it's been a while, but some of the older members (Throgrim, Alexanderthegreat, etc) may recall my ramblings.

If we are to discuss about "why did all these people predict it that way?" it might be a worthy discussion, but since there is no evidence about the hypothesis, it's a waste of time to discuss whether or not Doomsday is really going to be that day. Wait, the matter of the existence of God is very similar; no evidence, and we still discuss those things... probably because religion has been so successful in propagating its argument that we can't just dismiss the idea of God as "utter dumbfuckery" as we do to this Doomsday whatever thing.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:41 am 

Kruel wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Kruel wrote:

If we are to discuss about "why did all these people predict it that way?" it might be a worthy discussion, but since there is no evidence about the hypothesis, it's a waste of time to discuss whether or not Doomsday is really going to be that day. Wait, the matter of the existence of God is very similar; no evidence, and we still discuss those things... probably because religion has been so successful in propagating its argument that we can't just dismiss the idea of God as "utter dumbfuckery" as we do to this Doomsday whatever thing.

There's a major difference between doomsday and God. One way or another, doomsday will eventually exist.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:41 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

Why this exact date? So on December 20, 2012, everything will be normal as it is, then the next day, everything will be destroyed? I highly doubt that. If the world is going to be destroyed on that exact date, then it must be a process of several things leading up to that date.

Besides, someone said that the world won't be renewed this time. What happened the last times?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:45 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Kruel wrote:

There's a major difference between doomsday and God. One way or another, doomsday will eventually exist.

Depends on what you mean by Doomsday. Yes, Earth will explode within a several billion years, but we don't know exactly about the Universe. I've heard of a theory that says it will stop expanding and start to shrink back to a tiny spot, though(it's the only one I've heard about the ending of the Universe, and I can't recall any evidence supporting it).

Kurtemba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:45 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Why this exact date? So on December 20, 2012, everything will be normal as it is, then the next day, everything will be destroyed? I highly doubt that. If the world is going to be destroyed on that exact date, then it must be a process of several things leading up to that date.

Besides, someone said that the world won't be renewed this time. What happened the last times?

It's a red Indian prophecy. The world has been renewed 9 times and this one will be the last. I remember watching that on the History Channel.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:46 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

You're taking it way more seriously than it deserves.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:47 am 

Ideally the discussion of this thread should remain specifically on the topic of the Mayan (and I suppose "the Bible code" too) prediction of end of the world.

Strange Death Metal

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:50 am 

Ideally the discussion of this thread should remain specifically on the topic of the Mayan (and I suppose "the Bible code" too) prediction of end of the world.

I disagree. Ideally, we may turn this into something more worthwhile than a discussion about predictions without any evidence that bears no more meaning than my prediction that Deicide's next album is going to suck.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:50 am 

Kurtemba wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

It's a red Indian prophecy. The world has been renewed 9 times and this one will be the last. I remember watching that on the History Channel.

Are you sure that when you say "red indians" that you don't mean "Mayans?" Because that sounds an awful lot like the ancient Mayans.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:51 am 

Kruel wrote:

I disagree. Ideally, we may turn this into something more worthwhile than a discussion about predictions without any evidence that bears no more meaning than my prediction that Deicide's next album is going to suck.

Nevermind that it is stated in the code of conduct to stay on topic... :P

Strange Death Metal

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:53 am 

Kruel wrote:

Nevermind that it is stated in the code of conduct to stay on topic... :P

Well, yeah, actually the ideal situation would be the thread getting locked.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:59 am 

Kurtemba wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Hmm, okay. What happened the last 9 times it was renewed? :)

Kruel wrote:
You're taking it way more seriously than it deserves.

Probably. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next