* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:13 pm 

Impaled have begun selling a 3" fan made remix CD-R on their website:
http://www.impaled.info/shop/music.html

It has a cover, it's being circulated (though limited) by the band. Anyway I just wanted to check if this was something that should be added to the archives.

My apologies if this was brought up before.

cemeteralgarden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:58 pm 

I could be off, but this sounds similar to a VA tribute album, which I think isn't allowed.

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:09 pm 

Technically, it's not a V/A compilation (and has only 3 songs). It's simply 3 tracks of remixed Impaled songs; it's technically not being recorded as a cover version here. Technically, it is also not "fan-made"; it was made by Kevin of the band Watch Me Burn. I'd say it's acceptable; heck, I added a similar release to the Cephalic Carnage page (Digital Carnage).

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:25 pm 

Hmmm....

....That's a tough one. The description provided by GVOLTT above gives me the impression that the release is in effect something like a one-party "tribute" album, with the added complication that it's being hocked under the band's own name. Essentially, it's most like a release from a cover band that happens to use the same name for the project as the band being covered. I know it's billed as a "remix", but the fact that the guy behind it isn't actually in Impaled seems like something that shouldn't be ignored.

Yes, tricky. After some thought, my opinion would be not to give it its own proper page, but rather to mention it in the band's general notes. This is a case where you should definitely wait for more than one staff opinion, however.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:12 pm 

I agree with Nightgaunt.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:57 pm 

GVOLTT wrote:
Technically, it's not a V/A compilation (and has only 3 songs). It's simply 3 tracks of remixed Impaled songs; it's technically not being recorded as a cover version here. Technically, it is also not "fan-made"; it was made by Kevin of the band Watch Me Burn. I'd say it's acceptable; heck, I added a similar release to the Cephalic Carnage page (Digital Carnage).

This Cephalic Carnage release you've mentioned--was it created by a member of Cephalic Carnage, or was it too the work of someone outside of the band?

If the latter, it will need the same treatment as the similar Impaled remix.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:26 pm 

Nightgaunt, if you look at it like that, Morbid Angel's CD with Laibach remixes would have to be counted as a split album, no?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:56 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Nightgaunt, if you look at it like that, Morbid Angel's CD with Laibach remixes would have to be counted as a split album, no?

A fair/interesting point, but I don't think that would be necessary. That little curio is half Morbid Angel itself, after all....so it seems reasonable (and convenient, of course) enough to look at it as Morbid Angel comp with some bonus material.

As a counterexample, it would seem to be a bit of a stretch to refer to Iron Savior's Unification album as a split, even though Excelsis actually performs one of the tracks on it, for instance.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:00 pm 

Well, I'm just thinking it's a bit excessive to count remixes from other artists as material from another band, so to speak, since the original material is still that of the band itself. And technically, most Metal albums are originally mixed by someone outside of the band (some studio person in that case), so I don't think it would make that much of a difference, since, as I said, the original material is still written by the band itself.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:18 am 

Another example : ULVER - 1993-2003: 1st decade in the machines

Only 1st track is actually mixed by Ulver, and all the other ones are remixes.
But it's still considered as an Ulver release.

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:49 am 

Nightgaunt wrote:
GVOLTT wrote:

This Cephalic Carnage release you've mentioned--was it created by a member of Cephalic Carnage, or was it too the work of someone outside of the band?

If the latter, it will need the same treatment as the similar Impaled remix.

It was remixed by the same person that did the Impaled remix. Well, if it should not be here, by all means remove it. I assumed that while the tracks are remixes of Cephalic Carnage songs that are spliced together, it should still be here because the source material is still from Cephalic Carnage.

Anyway, what about stuff like this or this? Would we have to set rules for remix releases altogether?

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:25 pm 

What about this one? Does it have any place?

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=76374

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:39 pm 

On another thought, I think that the Impaled single could be added. The band seems to considers it an Impaled release (Not a VA or tribute), so I don't see why not adding it here. Just like an official bootleg, if the band considers the album part of their discography, it can be added.

More mod opinions?

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:32 pm 

Looks fine to me. Droneriot's argument makes most sense.

Usefulidiot42
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:00 pm 

Indeed, if we can list Ulver's 1993-2003: 1st Decade In The Machines as part of their discography then I see no problem with that Impaled release.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:14 pm 

Sure, why not? All the same either way, as far as I'm concerned.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm 

Well I went to add the release and then I realized that the band neglected to list the tracks.

I'll try to dig up those (and track times and an exact release date if possible) and submit it in the future.

If anyone else gets to this information before me by all means submit. I'm more interested in EM being more complete than I am about personal points.

Shovel
Wyruld Cyninga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:33 pm 

I think the most compelling arguement here is Fear Factory's "Remanufacture". That album has been on here for years and no one has made a stink about it.

How is this Impaled release any different?

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:40 pm 

Shovel wrote:
I think the most compelling arguement here is Fear Factory's "Remanufacture". That album has been on here for years and no one has made a stink about it.

How is this Impaled release any different?

Also if no one's mentioned it before, Arcturus' Disguised Masters. I guess remix albums/releases are typically a staple of the industrial scene so metalheads have different views of them.

Reply to topic