Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oinkness
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:56 pm 

Hey.

I believe Progressive Rock and such should be left alone and not deleted, as should some hardcore and metalcore bands. I know you guys are trying to make the website "strictly metal" but for a person like me, a journalist who works at a zine that deals with more than just straight-up metal, it can be difficult to find information or artwork for bands like The Flower Kings, Freya, Lana Lane, and many others. I believe Porcupine Tree was deleted....

Is the extra bunch of kilobytes really that much of a burden upon the database? How can you discriminate against progressive rock, yet leave other ambiguous genres like Prog death and avant-garde? Basically it should be all or nothing: allow other subgenres, or make it strictly death metal. You'll have your cannibal corpse, deicide, carcass, death, etc... that's it.

Or at least be a lit less strict. I know you guys don't intend Metalarchives to be a useful source for journalists alone, but we would definitely appreciate the added help of such a database. It's been nice to use in the past but now it seems more and more limited and less useful.

Thanks

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:29 pm 

I suggest http://www.gepr.net/geprfram.htm for a great resource on progressive rock. Progressive rock is as diverse as heavy metal itself, as a quick glance at their database will attest. To include it here would require roughly twice as much bandwidth, moderating work, and extensive knowledge on a subject that most of us here simply don't have that much passion for. Same goes for punk, hardcore, metalcore...

The logical explanation for progressive death metal being included here is that it's a subbranch of death metal, which is a subgenre of heavy metal. Progressive rock is an entity of its own.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:41 pm 

If the database no longer suits your needs, it's time to find a new database. We thank you for your past patronage and any contributions you may have made; but the site was conceived with a specific purpose, and that purpose was not to cater to the whims of journalists. It is time to go our separate ways.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:16 pm 

If you want information on progressive rock, http://www.progarchives.com/ might be another useful site in addition to the one MMisantropo provided.

Reply to topic