Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sofeshue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:58 am 

If this has been suggested before, I would say sorry.

But could you take a consideration to let users have more rights, for example: users can modify album titles, correct the number of tracks for an album.

There were some misspelt albums titles which I reported. I think it'll be more convenient to let Veteran Users correct it themselves, not neccesary to transfer the problem to the mods. Since a Veteran User can modify the song titles, I think it also makes sense to let them modify album titles. And, some albums have wrong number of tracks. If it should have had 9 tracks, but someone mis-added it a tenth track, we cannot make it right. We have to fall back on the report mode again.

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:58 am 

:nono:

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:51 am 

Well, I think Veteran status is too early, but Metal Demon status would be okay (I don't know if a metal demon can do that, correct me if I'm wrong).

It's true that some titles are wrong. I've found many titles in Capital Letters that I don't report because I don't want to be a pain in the ass. I think some users have to be advertised for that reason, I've found those erros on some South American and Spanish Bands (Medina Azahara for Example).

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:01 am 

BlackFlag wrote:
Well, I think Veteran status is too early, but Metal Demon status would be okay (I don't know if a metal demon can do that, correct me if I'm wrong).

It's true that some titles are wrong. I've found many titles in Capital Letters that I don't report because I don't want to be a pain in the ass. I think some users have to be advertised for that reason, I've found those erros on some South American and Spanish Bands (Medina Azahara for Example).

IF TITLES/TRACKLISTINGS ARE IN CAPITAL LETTERS (WHICH IS PRETTY ANNOYING, AS YOU CAN SEE), you can report them, no problem..

For tracklisting, you can correct by yourself...

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:08 am 

BlackFlag wrote:
I've found those erros on some South American and Spanish Bands (Medina Azahara for Example).

:shock: some errors? A little but euphemistic!
This topic has been discussed some time ago.. I do not find the posting.

this should be changed on their page:
Medina Azahara began as a "Flamenco-Rock" band. Their first album is a Prog/Folk Hard Rock effort. Their sound in the 80s is clearly Heavy Metal/Hard Rock in the vein of other well known bands such Barón Rojo or Obús. The sound in the 90s follows a mixture of 70s and 80s Prog. Rock/Heavy Metal Sound... but Flamenco is always there. Fans of Prog Rock Music take them as a Prog. Rock/Hard Rock band.

sounds stupid. Perhaps someone wants to do some research on this.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:54 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
BlackFlag wrote:
I've found those erros on some South American and Spanish Bands (Medina Azahara for Example).

:shock: some errors? A little but euphemistic!
This topic has been discussed some time ago.. I do not find the posting.

this should be changed on their page:
Medina Azahara began as a "Flamenco-Rock" band. Their first album is a Prog/Folk Hard Rock effort. Their sound in the 80s is clearly Heavy Metal/Hard Rock in the vein of other well known bands such Barón Rojo or Obús. The sound in the 90s follows a mixture of 70s and 80s Prog. Rock/Heavy Metal Sound... but Flamenco is always there. Fans of Prog Rock Music take them as a Prog. Rock/Hard Rock band.

sounds stupid. Perhaps someone wants to do some research on this.

You know, I've always found this band to be so much stupid to be here. I wrote this description I found in some web because I thought it was pretty descriptive. Myself, I think Medina Azahara isn't metal enough to be in metal-archives, but I didn't accept them. Really, this band had some success among Spanish metal fans in the early 80s, but hard rock bands were succesful too, and I'm convinced that AC/DC is more metal.

Here you have some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... na+Azahara

I think I'll download the entire discography and listen to it. Perhaps I'll upload the most 'metal' albums and discuss about them in the "Why was X band accepted thread".

BlackMetalGirl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:56 am 

christkiller wrote:
BlackFlag wrote:

IF TITLES/TRACKLISTINGS ARE IN CAPITAL LETTERS (WHICH IS PRETTY ANNOYING, AS YOU CAN SEE), you can report them, no problem..

Ooohhh, because the songs and albums titles have not to be written with capital letters :shock:?!?!?!?!?! Becuase i usually write down with capital letters...

Ah maybe now i understand!!!! The first letters of a word could be written with capital letters but not the whole word, right?!?!?!? Bye!!!

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:03 am 

BlackMetalGirl wrote:
christkiller wrote:
BlackFlag wrote:

Ooohhh, because the songs and albums titles have not to be written with capital letters :shock:?!?!?!?!?! Becuase i usually write down with capital letters...

Ah maybe now i understand!!!! The first letters of a word could be written with capital letters but not the whole word, right?!?!?!? Bye!!!

ciao bellissima, come stai? :)

We missed you :)

yes the 1st letters can be written in capital but not the entire words

ex: Misanthropy, not MISANTHROPY :)

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:16 am 

I would not mind allowing Metal Freaks or Demons to correct song titles or change the number of tracks. For veterans, it's too early.

BlackMetalGirl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:19 am 

christkiller wrote:
BlackMetalGirl wrote:
christkiller wrote:
BlackFlag wrote:

ciao bellissima, come stai? :)

We missed you :)

yes the 1st letters can be written in capital but not the entire words

ex: Misanthropy, not MISANTHROPY :)

Perfect!!!

Corimngul
Freddled Gruntbuggly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:35 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
I would not mind allowing Metal Freaks or Demons to correct song titles or change the number of tracks. For veterans, it's too early.

Right now I think there's no difference between Freaks' and veterans' rights. Both can edit song titles but that's all.
Because I hate ID 100369. Numbers 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 are incomplete and I hate it!

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:38 am 

Well like in all dictatorships, the Gestapo (us) have the powers and the weaks (you) just have to obey :D . Opponents are eliminated (Fred Durst :D)

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:59 am 

christkiller wrote:
Well like in all dictatorships, the Gestapo (us) have the powers and the weaks (you) just have to obey :D . Opponents are eliminated (Fred Durst :D)

Hail :headbang:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:00 am 

The first word of a song / album name should always be written in capital letter. The other words should also have their first letter capitalized unless they are:

1 - Pronouns: I, you, he, this, who, what, him, me, myself, thine, etc.
2 - Prepositions: In, on, by, to, since, etc.
3 - Conjunctions: And, or, yet, because, but, however, as, if, when, while, etc.
4 - Articles: A, the, an

You also should not capitalize the first letter if the name starts with an ellipsis (...) followed by a pronoum, preposition, conjunction or article.

I beleive those are the main rules.

Corimngul wrote:
Right now I think there's no difference between Freaks' and veterans' rights. Both can edit song titles but that's all.

Errr...I know that.

Last edited by Evenfiel on Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:01 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
You also should not capitalize the first letter if the name starts with an ellipsis (...) followed by a pronoum, preposition, conjunction or article.

Huh, I had no idea about this one. I thought that the first word was capitalized regardless of preceding punctuation. Learn something new every day.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:05 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
The first word of a song / album name should always be written in capital letter. The other words should also have their first letter capitalized

I know it looks better to write nouns with capital letters, but theorically in French it is not correct (unlike in German) and it looks strange when i see those with capital letters :|

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:14 am 

Yeah, I know that things tend to be different in other languages. Maybe we should write a guide for languages that have different rules.

Though in french proper nouns are also capitalized.

BlackMetalGirl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:16 am 

christkiller wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:
The first word of a song / album name should always be written in capital letter. The other words should also have their first letter capitalized

I know it looks better to write nouns with capital letters, but theorically in French it is not correct (unlike in German) and it looks strange when i see those with capital letters :|

In Italian writing nouns with capital letters is grammatically uncorrect, but in albums or songs titles I prefer to see the words written with capital letters, so i do that!!!!!!

Bye

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:19 am 

In any language nouns are not capitalized (unless it's a proper noun), but in english they usually are in album titles or song names. I beleive that's the same in most languages.

parasite_lost
Mobile Oppression Palace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:47 am 

It's not necessary. There are very few things that a veteran user can't do and how often does an album title need to be changed? In my time here I've probably only reported five or six and i am pedantic about getting these things right.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:31 pm 

BlackFlag wrote:
You know, I've always found this band to be so much stupid to be here. I wrote this description I found in some web because I thought it was pretty descriptive. Myself, I think Medina Azahara isn't metal enough to be in metal-archives, but I didn't accept them. Really, this band had some success among Spanish metal fans in the early 80s, but hard rock bands were succesful too, and I'm convinced that AC/DC is more metal.

Here you have some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... na+Azahara

I think I'll download the entire discography and listen to it. Perhaps I'll upload the most 'metal' albums and discuss about them in the "Why was X band accepted thread".

From what I remember, Medina Azahara was OK 80's metal, moreso than other Spanish rock bands such as Ñu, Leño, Coz, Barricada, Sangre Azul...

Videos are a terrible way to evaluate a band, the songs chosen are the most commercial ones, and usually the band only has a supporting budget to shoot a video when they are already way past their prime.

edit: actually I was thinking of Niagara, I don't actually recall what Medina Azahara sounds like.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:37 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
The first word of a song / album name should always be written in capital letter. The other words should also have their first letter capitalized unless they are:

1 - Pronouns: I, you, he, this, who, what, him, me, myself, thine, etc.
2 - Prepositions: In, on, by, to, since, etc.
3 - Conjunctions: And, or, yet, because, but, however, as, if, when, while, etc.
4 - Articles: A, the, an

I usually capitalize pronouns, specially when they substitute the sentence's subject (pronomes pessoais do caso reto, whatever they're called in English).
I mean, the only word in English that is capitalized no matter what is a pronoun ("I")!

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:00 pm 

Indeed, you're correct about the "I". :oh shit:

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:15 pm 

MMisantropo wrote:
From what I remember, Medina Azahara was OK 80's metal, moreso than other Spanish rock bands such as Ñu, Leño, Coz, Barricada, Sangre Azul...

Videos are a terrible way to evaluate a band, the songs chosen are the most commercial ones, and usually the band only has a supporting budget to shoot a video when they are already way past their prime.

edit: actually I was thinking of Niagara, I don't actually recall what Medina Azahara sounds like.

Yes, perhaps you have listened to more Medina Azahara than me. I'm downloading some albums now.

Leño and Barricada aren't in the archives (Urban Rock), and I recently reported Sangre Azul because they mostly played Whitesnake styled Hard Rock in all their albums, except for the first EP and Split. And I agree with Coz too, but their 1982 album (Duro) is considered a response to Barón Rojo's Volumen Brutal, other albums are simply Rock. I actually have not listened to Ñu, so I don't know about this one.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:17 pm 

More rights for Metal Freaks indeed. Maybe the mods can empty the submission queue faster if they don't have to spend all their time fixing minor typos in album titles. I suggested something like it around two years ago.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:21 pm 

droneriot wrote:
More rights for Metal Freaks indeed. Maybe the mods can empty the submission queue faster if they don't have to spend all their time fixing minor typos in album titles. I suggested something like it around two years ago.

:nods:

thats a very good idea. why dont you let the lower people take care of some of the more tedious work while the mods can take care of the respective queues.

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:42 am 

droneriot wrote:

If people, instead of trolling on forums, would help a bit more by flagging bands, the queue would not be locked at the moment

Reports take me approx 15-20 min everyday, which is not much and currently the report queue = 0

It is not difficult to flag bands, if people take 10 min everyday to flag 5 bands each it will help (without counting the bands I accept directly or reject for not being metal)

Reports for totally wrong album titles/tracklisting is not the biggest part:

dead links are an important part, editing line-up, photos, covers, logos, making links to other bands represent the biggest part of the reports

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:44 am 

I won't give names but, sorry to say this, I see guys on forums EVERYDAY and they never flag one fu**ing single band (don't tell me they have no time or are not intelligent enough to use Google)

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:37 am 

christkiller wrote:
I won't give names but, sorry to say this, I see guys on forums EVERYDAY and they never flag one fu**ing single band (don't tell me they have no time or are not intelligent enough to use Google)

We have an expression for this in Germany:
T E A M - Toll ein anderer macht's
Translation: Cool, someone else is doing it.
Any further questions?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:48 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
christkiller wrote:

We have an expression for this in Germany:
T E A M - Toll ein anderer macht's
Translation: Cool, someone else is doing it.
Any further questions?

Arbeit macht frei :D

parasite_lost
Mobile Oppression Palace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:43 am 

christkiller wrote:

Until I start getting paid for this, I'll consider any updates to this site to be voluntary. I am fairly busy lately and will be until the end of May so when i do get a chance to troll teh internets i generally don't feel like going through the submission queue. :)

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:07 am 

christkiller wrote:
It is not difficult to flag bands, if people take 10 min everyday to flag 5 bands each it will help (without counting the bands I accept directly or reject for not being metal)

5 bands usualy takes more time ;)

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:48 am 

If I had been paid for all the updates I did here I'd be a millionnaire now ... :rolleyes:

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:50 am 

Piotr_Bojka wrote:
christkiller wrote:

5 bands usualy takes more time ;)

it depends how you work.. with experience you'll learn how to work quickly and use keywords for Googling (member names, cities, band name, etc...)

Reply to topic