Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic

Opinion on "buy from distro" link on EM album pages
Great idea! I might even use it to shop around. 42%  42%  [ 40 ]
I don't think I'd use it, but it seems like a good idea. 21%  21%  [ 20 ]
I wouldn't use it, but it wouldn't bother me, especially if it can help paying the server. 24%  24%  [ 23 ]
I feel it would taint the website. Poseur, sell-out! 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
What kind of question is that? If it were up to me, I'd plaster this site with Google Ads and banners and become rich. Crazy to even ask! 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Other, details in thread 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 96
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:54 pm 

This is merely a poll to satisfy my curiosity, not a vote that will actually influence any decision by myself or HellBlazer. But it's still something I thought would be interesting to know.

So here is the question:

What would you think about album pages having a small, unobtrusive "Buy from {distro}" link (not even a button and certainly not an ad), that would take you directly to a distro's album page for an online purchase?

Comments are welcome, of course.

Edit: see additional information on this post.

Last edited by Morrigan on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:16 am 

If the site on the album page is reliable (ie, lots of supporters around here) then it's a good idea. If the site gets too many complaints, put a different one up.

That would be my suggestion.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:18 am 

As I mentioned to you earlier, I don't think I'd personally use the feature much, since I don't shop at the particular dealer in question (The End Records). However, it seems like an all-gain no-cost situation to me. You'd be getting a revenue of some kind, and basically wouldn't be introducing anything to the site that we don't already have in some capacity. Of particular interest is that the site's reputation for remaining completely banner ad-free would be preserved.

As long as the matter remains completely staff-controlled, I don't see any real problems with it. If all goes well, future opportunities might be of interest, too. Just so long as we're prepared to unconditionally tell the likes of Hot Topic, Sam Goody, Metalcore label #248, and perhaps Century Media and Roadrunner to fuck off, I've got no qualms.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Last edited by Nightgaunt on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:22 am 

Sounds good to me.

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:58 am 

A line of text somewhere surely would not hurt, as long as there are no blinking banners, ads that produce sound or anything of the like. A stylish solution like the side column here shouldn't gall any sane person.

ThrashGordon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:05 am 

As long as it wasn't large or obtrusive I think it's a fine idea. It can only help smaller bands and labels/distros.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:54 am 

I don't think I'd use it, but it seems like a good idea.
MushroomStamp wrote:
A line of text somewhere surely would not hurt, as long as there are no blinking banners, ads that produce sound or anything of the like. A stylish solution like the side column here shouldn't gall any sane person.

Absolutely. Definitely nothing that produces sound. One more site with a SmileyCentral ad and I'll throw my computer out the window.

oVerCaffeinated
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:18 am 

Only if it links to the distro that the CD was released on.

Rituale_Satanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:49 am 

Only if it's a obscure, hard to find release and not something you can find by searching on google.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:53 am 

I say go for it if it keeps this ship afloat.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:01 am 

I have a couple of special distros from where I shop my LPs and CDs regurlary. I don't need a button in order to buy something from "distro xy" with which I may never done any business before.

E.g. why should I order one CD from the US (in case I do not find more in their stocks) if I can have it for the same price from some other distro here in Germany without the horrible additional postage costs. It's just a matter of searching a bit in distro lists and online stores.

And I guess that a lot of distros want to link a CD they sell so it may become as complex and immense amount of over 30 links on normal bandpages.

So all in all, you can do it, but I will most probably never use it.

Corimngul
Freddled Gruntbuggly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:47 am 

If you make some revenue out of it, which is used to make the site more stable I'm all for it. If it only is about The End Records, I probably won't use the feature myself though.
Because I hate ID 100369. Numbers 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 are incomplete and I hate it!

L_H
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:54 am 

Sounds good to me. It would only be of secondary use to me as I don't really have a hard time finding a distro that sells the albums I'm looking for in Germany (and if I do, I can still find most of them at festivals like Keep It True and Swordbrothers), but it's always nice to have an additional option for finding a release :)

Subterfuge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:57 am 

I don't know how much I would use it, but it sounds like a great idea for those who would.

Fungicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:36 am 

If it'll pay for the site's upkeep go for it. But it's not a feature I'd like to see if money was no object.
You often say 'I would give, but only to the deserving'. The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your field... And he who has deserved to drink from the ocean of life deserves to fill his cup from your little stream.
Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by Fungicide on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:57 am 

Sounds good to me. Should be nice to have a non-intrusive way to keep the place going, and all that. :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:07 am 

A few clarifications:

- There will NOT be any kind of ad or banner on the site. Don't worry about that, I despise the idea more than you do, I'm sure.
- I don't want to clutter the album page with tons of links. Don't worry about that either, I thought of that (see example below).
- This is not about The End Records. They were the first to contact me about this, as they run an affiliation program (not all distros/stores do, obviously), but that doesn't mean it will be limited to them. Any other distros, big or small, from anywhere, that run an affiliation program, could potentially work.
- Here's how I thought to implement such a thing: http://www.metal-archives.com/release.html -- This is purely an example, and the design is nothing final, just something I whipped out in a few minutes ;) but it'd be as small and discreet as that, and the amount of links would not be a bother since it's hidden by default.

MorbidPickle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:52 am 

I'm all for it. Don't know if I'd use it that much, but I can't possibly think of a reason why anyone would be opposed to such a small link.

VITEK JUST KICKED IN YO

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:55 am 

Heil Morrigan! :D

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:10 am 

I think it is a good idea, especially if it helps pay for the site. I don't think I would use it much (if at all) but it is completely unobtrusive and I am sure there are others that will make good use of it.

Just a couple questions.

1. Will the links be controlled just like the regular links section, as in anyone can add them and veterans could edit and delete them?

2. What will happen to the regular merchandise links section as the only useful links will be ones to clothing etc.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Necrosanct
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:12 am 

It looks fine by me as well. There's nothing disturbing about it, just a quick way to find a place to order the stuff. I'd say: go for it!

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 am 

Good idea, I think I would use it ocassionally. And it helps with server cost, go for it!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 am 

Morrigan wrote:
- I don't want to clutter the album page with tons of links. Don't worry about that either, I thought of that (see example below).
- This is not about The End Records. They were the first to contact me about this, as they run an affiliation program (not all distros/stores do, obviously), but that doesn't mean it will be limited to them. Any other distros, big or small, from anywhere, that run an affiliation program, could potentially work.

Don't these two points potentially contradict each other? I mean, what would it look like if there were two or more (affiliated) distros selling the same album?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:27 am 

:) I like it.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:05 pm 

It helps the site, it promotes metal distros, it helps the bands. I don't see how this would be a problem at all.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:21 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
It helps the site, it promotes metal distros, it helps the bands. I don't see how this would be a problem at all.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:25 pm 

Sokaris wrote:

SUPPORT METAL BISTROS

I like that design, Morri. Very unobtrusive.

L_H
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Don't these two points potentially contradict each other? I mean, what would it look like if there were two or more (affiliated) distros selling the same album?

This:
Morrigan wrote:
Here's how I thought to implement such a thing: http://www.metal-archives.com/release.html

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm 

Not sure I gonna use it, especially if the distro is in North America.
If there are many distros all over the world with good prices, why not ?

Anyway, if it pays for the server...
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm 

Personally, I'd rather be seeing some smaller distro being used. For the most part, I've been buying from Autumn Winds Prod. (Aquarius too, but they're fairly big as an indie store & distro) The poster Strength is actually the owner of the distro, I believe.

I don't think I'd use it much, but in others opinions, I believe it'd help out, as long as it doesn't clutter up anything.

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:31 pm 

It would be a great idea!! It would be very helpful for imbeciles like me who have never bought anything for a distro before. On the other hand I agree with RickJames about having small distros, that way we can support the small guys and get some rare or desperately wanted stuff at the same time.

Count_Venereal wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
WASP on the Supreme Court right now!

I will vote for whoever makes this happen.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:46 pm 

L_H wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

This:
Morrigan wrote:
Here's how I thought to implement such a thing: http://www.metal-archives.com/release.html

That just shows a single one.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:09 pm 

droneriot wrote:
L_H wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

This:
Morrigan wrote:

That shows 3 distros if you click on the little red link in the top left. There is still plenty of room without it cluttering and besides you don't have to click on the link :p
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

L_H
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:10 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Which upon clicking will reveal multiple possible stores.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:11 pm 

Visionary wrote:
That shows 3 distros if you click on the little red link in the top left.

Aaahhh I see.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:23 pm 

Realize that most small indie distros don't offer affiliation arrangements. This isn't a question of simply allowing a particular type of link, but rather of having a sort of low-grade symbiotic relationship between this site and the affiliated distributor. Typically only fairly large-scale operations, like The End, Red Stream, or Moribund Cult and its MDN offer this kind of arrangement. One-man operations run out of a bedroom, while possessed of their own kinds of virtue, simply don't fit this scheme.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:27 pm 

Nightgaunt wrote:
Realize that most small indie distros don't offer affiliation arrangements. This isn't a question of simply allowing a particular type of link, but rather of having a sort of low-grade symbiotic relationship between this site and the affiliated distributor. Typically only fairly large-scale operations, like The End, Red Stream, or Moribund Cult and its MDN offer this kind of arrangement. One-man operations run out of a bedroom, while possessed of their own kinds of virtue, simply don't fit this scheme.

For clarity, please add a conclusion to this thought.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:30 pm 

I have nothing against this idea, though I would not use it my self (I don't buy anything on the internet).

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:32 pm 

It's a response to the previous posts by RickJames and Veddartha. Possibly some others before them. What they've suggested is not currently within the realm of possibilty, given the nature of the affiliation platform.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:35 pm 

What you and RJ and Veddartha have been saying was pretty polite, but the idea that it would be something to only benefit the "big boys" is something that probably everyone has thought about for a second at least. I have my bit of worries about this thing, too.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next