Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:01 am 

sovdat wrote:
For thrash metal fans; check out and review Negligence's demo:

Download all songs here:

http://vanzanten-studios.wehid.com/negligence/

This is review recommendations, not review requests. You got closer than most of the others though.

Last edited by OlympicSharpshooter on Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cinedracusio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:35 am 

Trust me, cinedracusio's reviews slay everything.:tongue:
:lol:

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:20 pm 

OSS had a constructive rainy and chilly Nov. 6.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:55 pm 

That I did. ;)

So, are you ever gonna finish your series of Sacrifice reviews? I've been awaiting the next one for some time now, since the first two are amongst my favs on the site.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 pm 

It's on one of my burners - I have it on cassette and I have to dig it out. Eventually.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:44 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=74163#18734

Damned good new Meshuggah review by Deadwired.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:02 pm 

Funny and eminently readable new Frostkog review by Peregrin.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=70864

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:32 am 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Funny and eminently readable new Frostkog review by Peregrin.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=70864

I feel very honoured. Have you heard the Fröstskög demo before or after reading my review? (I'm just curious)

Note: According to Axeduke Myrddraal, Fröstskög are currently working on a serious full-length album which is a concept story about the Vikings' discovery of Vinland - a decision which made Count Doomhammer leave the band in rage.

Be afraid... be very afraid...

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:11 pm 

I haven't heard it as yet no, and probably won't for some time as I literally have about fifteen unlistened-to CDs/mp3 files crying my name.

But I enjoyed the review jsut the same.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:47 pm 

It may have been mentioned before in this thread, but I love HowDisgusting's review for Into The Grave

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:48 pm 

It may have been mentioned before in this thread, but I love HowDisgusting's review for Into The Grave

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:33 pm 

Enough to recommend it twice even. ;)

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:57 pm 

I wonder why navy blue vicar was dursted...I found his reviews funny as hell, and quite pertinent despite being rambly and random.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:06 am 

I remember someone recommending OSheaman's review of Therion's ...Of Darkness long ago and I second that.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:24 pm 

I found some of what Valleys_of_Hades had to say about Bathory's debut insightful and pretty on the ball even if I'm not the album's biggest fan.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:52 pm 

And then lost me with the Under the Sign of the Black Mark album.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:10 pm 

He wrote several Bathory reviews spilling over with history, but comparatively little in the way of musical description that hasn't been said time and again. It was one of very few cases I've ever experienced where I genuinely regretted having to send them back, because it was pretty obvious that he had put a lot of effort into them.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:33 pm 

Well, his review of The Return is still up in the Oven Fodder thread where you can read in it in all its ornate crappiness.

Creeping_Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:46 pm 

I gotta say this is one of the best reviews i found in this site so far:
Quote:
I was wrong... they don't still have it (edited) - 68%
Written by Cynical on December 27th, 2004

Here it is: the new album from Immolation. For several years, Immolation has been perhaps the most consistently excellent band in death metal; with each album, a listener knew what they were getting, but at the same time, the albums weren't re-treads of each other, each one blazing new grounds: "Dawn of Possession" being a foundational album for NYDM; "Here in After" and "Failures for Gods" both being massively twisted rhythmic beatings with a sense of dissonant chord, the latter being more advanced than the former; "Close to a World Below", while not quite as structurally complex as "Failures for Gods", brought a stronger sense of dissonant melody to the proceedings and managed to succeed at being one of the most atmospheric death metal recordings ever; and "Unholy Cult" brought a sense of epic-ness to the table that had been present in a few of their songs, and also saw the band using layers and counterpoint melodies more extensively than before, but at a cost; the rhythmic violence was toned down somewhat compared to previous efforts, and the time signatures were noticeably more straightforward.

This leads us into the first possible issue that can be leveled against "Harnessing Ruin": seven of the songs on this album really bring nothing new to the table. Brutal and dissonant death metal riffs at a moderate to fast pace that focus on both the sequencing of chords and their harmonics against each other are played over drums that offer another layer of rhythm and control the dynamics of each song; relying on a double kick with fills matching the guitars on top on the softer parts, and a blast beat on the louder ones. Bass acts as a separate instrument, rather than simply backing up the guitar or drums, and in spots with layered melody and no guitar soloing, is usually the source of the less dominating one. The bassy roar of Ross Dolan over the top of the album acts as another, much slower, rhythm instrument, falling into a cadence that mimics that of the guitar, each vocal line beginning and ending punctually with the riff. Leads, rather than being insanely atonal, take a melodic idea and play with it, letting it evolve through various ideas.

Verse-chorus structures place an emphasis on the extended middle section, itself having multiple motifs, some of which may repeat within that section, and place the guitar solo as the climax of the song and an essential structural element, rather than a flourish thrown in on top of these songs, that, when at their best, are quite warlike and have at the same time have a morbid nature, revealing a worldview in which death is looming large over the earth and ready to reap; however, a large portion of the album becomes far to rock 'n roll for its own good, with "Our Savior Sleeps" and "At Mourning's Twilight" featuring utterly sentimental melodic hooks, and "Dead to Me" and "Son of Iniquity" having as much angst as a mallcore band. Even the four stronger songs on offer here fail to have the power that previous ones did, seemingly decidedly lukewarm compared to previous offerings from this band.

The one song that isn't really described by the above, "Harnessing Ruin", is largely a "rock/death metal" song in which death metal ideas are put in a consistent, catchy, almost sing-along context in a manner similar to "Serpents of the Light" era Deicide; it manages to be better than the aformentioned Deicide album, but not up to this band's standard.

Production favors guitars and vocals, putting them at the top of the mix, with the bass and drums audible but not as prominent. The overall sound is very clear and doesn't end up in a rumbling morass like many other brutal death bands.

All in all, you've got four songs that aren't quite up to Immolation's standard, two songs featuring Immolation trying their hand at rock 'n roll, two songs with Immolation trying to fuse mallcore with death metal, and one Deicide retread. It's far from necessary; you'd be advised to seek out older, more powerful, works from this band.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:55 pm 

^ That is a good one.

Recommending Gutterscream's two Thor reviews. Here's hoping he continues taking potshots at that metal mockery.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:37 pm 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
^ That is a good one.

Recommending Gutterscream's two Thor reviews. Here's hoping he continues taking potshots at that metal mockery.

It's almost hard to keep him out of the crosshairs.

And I came here to plug your Diary of a Madman review - that second paragraph had me going for a minute, and my computer almost wore some Dr. Pepper after the Nutz comment.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:58 pm 

This is a bit late I suppose, but it is now decided: the best review of all time is UltraBoris's one for Superjoint Ritual's 'A Lethal Dose of American Hatred'.

http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=22812#147

Feels a little strange saying this knowing of all the amazing and more literally artistic and challenging pieces from such individuals as Gutterscream and Olympicsharpshooter, but this little piece of extremely simplistic writing basically sums up everything I love about UltraBoris: his subtle touch of humor, his weird and absurd ways of describing things and simply his general attitude and use of the English language. This review has me cracking up every time I read it.

Another definite fave is OSS's review for Mötley Crüe's "comeback" single...the funny thing is that I actually don't agree with it to a full extent, because I actually found it kinda decent for a modern rock song (was in total shock once the radio host announced it was actually a Crüe song afterwards), but the points he make in it are absolutely spot-on.

http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=67001#5599

As for Gutterscream, I'll have to go through his works a bit more first. ;)

ThrashGordon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:54 pm 

[quote="Bloodstone"]This is a bit late I suppose, but it is now decided: the best review of all time is UltraBoris's one for Superjoint Ritual's 'A Lethal Dose of American Hatred'.

http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=22812#147

[quote]

I just read that review and Boris ends it with a line '...Alice Cooper wants his riff back...'. The latest review for that album (by Azzman) has that exact same Alice Cooper line as it's title, yet makes no mention of it in the actual review...

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:34 am 

I was thinking of reviewing the debut from Manilla Road, but I think Abominatrix's critique says just about everything I want to say.

Usefulidiot42
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:39 am 

Bloodstone wrote:

Another definite fave is OSS's review for Mötley Crüe's "comeback" single...the funny thing is that I actually don't agree with it to a full extent, because I actually found it kinda decent for a modern rock song (was in total shock once the radio host announced it was actually a Crüe song afterwards), but the points he make in it are absolutely spot-on.

http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=67001#5599

This is definitely a fantastic review.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:46 am 

I was thinking of reviewing the debut from Manilla Road, but I think Abominatrix's critique says just about everything I want to say.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:00 am 

Abominatrix has a way of writing reviews that are pretty much the final word on any record, 'tis true.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:16 pm 

Plus they're only one of his favorite bands that he's listened to about a thousand times.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:14 pm 

I found adastra318's review of "Jhva Elohim Meth... The Revival" to be very well written. He pretty much touched on every point I ever wanted to make about that EP.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=7618#54271

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:29 am 

^
Yeah, that's the kind of review I'd like to be able of writing.

Although it doesn't dive into every detail of the music (and thus not my favorite review style), Stein's Gorgasm review is among the best in this site.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:18 pm 

Milo wrote:
^
Yeah, that's the kind of review I'd like to be able of writing.

Although it doesn't dive into every detail of the music (and thus not my favorite review style), Stein's Gorgasm review is among the best in this site.

Dunno if you've read him, but I figure you'd really dig crazpete then. His reviews are almost absurd in their technicality.

KayTeeBee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:55 pm 

I don't know if this is the right thread (probably isn't), but i'd like to know what you think of my reviews (or one in particular, they're all prettty similiar). I'll just post my review here, feedback appreciated... (yeah, I never do this, just tell me if I should post it elsewhere).

Boris - Pink
This album was released in the midst of tons of other 2005 releases for Boris, including live albums, compilations and whatnot. I thought this would just be another average release, but wrong I was. This is a dirty and heavy release that's half stoner, and half massive low-end drone sludge comparable to their drone albums such as Absolutego (though I wouldn't call it that heavy).

This album kicks off with a relaxing drum beat and atmospheric feedback that sounds like post-rock, but after no less than a minute the heavy, filthy and dirty sound boris is so well known for kicks in. The second track, 'Pink' is the first stoner track of title. It fucking kills, just like most of Boris' stoner tracks. The guitar tone is filthy as hell. It could very well be compared the stoner classics. For the rest of the album, the sludgier songs share the spotlight with the more stoner stuff, and to my surprise they all fit in very well. Solos aren't anything overly complicated or mindless shredding, but they're nice for what they are. The backing rhythm riffs are always amazing, as usual.

The only problem is here is that some songs feel (and probably were, I didn't read much about this release) like they were recorded at a different time, or mixed in a different way. Track 2, for instance, has the volume of the guitars way too high and the drums are barely there. I mean they're there, but you can barely hear them. The album ends with a 10 minute track, shifting from riff to riff while keeping the heavy sound.

Nice album, I somewhat enjoyed it more than some of their older releases. I like the idea of splitting the album in 2 types of songs, too. There's some timeless songs here (mostly the heavy stoner ones), like 'Electric' or 'Pink'. Despite the few aforementionned flaws, every track is well positioned and Pink is a highly enjoyable release.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:28 pm 

Few typographical errors that a Word processor could catch for ya, but its a good piece of work. Most of your stuff is quite good, and your opinions have some weight based on your large catalogue (you and I have an almost equal review count as I recall).

For future reference, you should probably just make a thread for this as this thread is just for recommending good reviews as opposed to critiquing pending ones.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:46 pm 

Easily submittable - to the point and cleanly written. Nice job.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

KayTeeBee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:03 pm 

Yeah, we should really start a thread where un-sure reviewers could submit some reviews so review vets could comment or something.

Thanks for the feedback. I posted it here after it was submitted though :P

Gabometal86
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:37 am 

Nice. I like it.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:11 am 

Droneriot's Oath of the Black Blood review is excellent. My thoughts exactly, the score is just roughly 15 points too high.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:49 am 

Nice to see another Nightgaunt review. His review of Emperor - Anthems to the Whelkin at Dusk is excellent. Highlights some errors with the album that I never managed to quite put my finger on. Nice to get that in perspective for me, though I still enjoy the album.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:55 am 

He's up to what, nine or ten now? I hope the review bug bites him and he kicks in some more soon.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:21 pm 

Visionary wrote:
Nice to see another Nightgaunt review. His review of Emperor - Anthems to the Whelkin at Dusk is excellent.

Agreed. It's nice to finally see someone put that worthless piece of plastic in its place.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 520  Next