Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:03 am 

Vadara wrote:
Texas King wrote:
How Y&T are not included on MA, while Thin Lizzy are? I read that Thunder and Lightning is a metal album, but how then the album as Black Tyger by Y&T is not metal as much as T&L? How T&L contains "metal riffing" while Black Tiger doesn't? What are OBJECTIVE ARGUMENTS for that?
You, staff, can't just say one album is metal, the other is not, the case closed and that is the absolute truth, without giving clear explanation and objective arguments how one album is metal and the other isn't.
I think there are many FLAWS in inclusion/rejection of certan bands on MA.

The truth of the matter is that the mods here intentionally don't define what "metal riffing" to give them carte blanche to arbitrarily declare things they don't like "not Metal". Hell, if the band focuses on using micro-riffs layered together they blacklist it because that's "noodling" because apparently riffs stop being riffs if they're not as long as an entire verse. Just stop trying to make sense of the process here.

Before posting in this thread next time, I'd appreciate it if you could sit back and ask yourself two questions first: a) "Is my post on-topic?" b) "Is it not completely asinine?" Because either you didn't do so this time or you thought "no" was an acceptable answer to both. (a third scenario, where you answered in the affirmative twice, is simply too silly to entertain)

Seriously, how are people still using the "mods reject bands they don't like"/"not metal = bad" argument? Okay, so for some reason you won't grant us even one iota of integrity, but even if you have such a low opinion of our work here and apparently think we're Dethklok-level caricatures, you only have to think about the argument for a second to see how flawed and moronic it is.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am 

Hello today and tomorrow people!
I'm wondering why the grindcore band Denak (Spain) is blacklisted.
Here's the LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeDnxgHUEU
I used the search function but there was no thread of this.
Thank you!

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm 

Dropping in to point out, that your link does not seem to work and I get a "file does not exist" message. I believe., that this is the album in question, since Denak do not have any other separate rlease, which is not a split album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJpNmysv4s
https://www.discogs.com/artist/481299-Denak

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UINyLN461Kw
this link works?
But yeah that's the band. At the end of the description it says:
"Tracks 1 to 22 from "Grindcore" 10" LP / cassette (Qabalah Productions & Revenge Productions / Hazard Recordings)
Tracks 23 to 27 from split 7" w/ Gore Face (Nuclear BBQ Party Records) Tracks 28 to 32 from split 7" w/ Hypoptalasias (Outrageous Defecation Records) Tracks 33 to 38 are inedit for next release like split picture 7" w/ Cripple Bastards (Outrageous Defecation Records) Tracks 39 and 40 are exclusive remixes at Imaginary Purgatory Studios using sound extracts from Denak"
You're right

EDIT: It's really confusing this LP, It's a type of album which they just recorded all the tracks of them again?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:00 pm 

SjelMetal wrote:
Hello today and tomorrow people!
I'm wondering why the grindcore band Denak (Spain) is blacklisted.
Here's the LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeDnxgHUEU
I used the search function but there was no thread of this.
Thank you!

Blacklisted for being Hardcore-based grind. Listened to the album you posted, doesn't change my mind...pretty old black list entry and valid to this date since they are split up for over a decade.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Before posting in this thread next time, I'd appreciate it if you could sit back and ask yourself two questions first: a) "Is my post on-topic?" b) "Is it not completely asinine?" Because either you didn't do so this time or you thought "no" was an acceptable answer to both. (a third scenario, where you answered in the affirmative twice, is simply too silly to entertain)

Seriously, how are people still using the "mods reject bands they don't like"/"not metal = bad" argument? Okay, so for some reason you won't grant us even one iota of integrity, but even if you have such a low opinion of our work here and apparently think we're Dethklok-level caricatures, you only have to think about the argument for a second to see how flawed and moronic it is.

I'm sorry I didn't contribute to the metaljerk.

also you didn't address my point about arbitrarily defining riffs but that's expected from a site that allows nearly-riffless bands that are nothing but mindless chug breakdowns if they call the breakdowns "slams" 'cause Slam is Real Metal but Deathcore isn't Because Reasons

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:54 pm 

Vadara wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

I'm sorry I didn't contribute to the metaljerk.

also you didn't address my point about arbitrarily defining riffs but that's expected from a site that allows nearly-riffless bands that are nothing but mindless chug breakdowns if they call the breakdowns "slams" 'cause Slam is Real Metal but Deathcore isn't Because Reasons

We encourage your help in making this metal database accurate and complete! "Nearly-riffless bands that are nothing but mindless chug breakdowns" are not allowed here, so please bring all the ones on MA you know of to our attention and we'll either agree with you and delete them or explain to you why we believe they belong here. Thanks! :)

(EDIT: But really, this thread is not the place for your personal feelings on MA. Unless you have a specific band you’re wondering about, don’t post here.)

posesionmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:30 am 

Send my page "Possession (Colombia)" and added to the blacklist but I do not know why, the only thing I can think of is that the album had not been released, it had a future date but I read the rules and it seems that there is no inconvenient with this, it is also sure that it is a metal band.
if someone can help me with this I would be very grateful

down I leave a song of the band so that they verify that if it is metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R3FNuA-quc

DShepherd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:03 am 

What if the bands first EP is in production, to be released soon? Is that allowed? If so what proof is necessary?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:59 am 

posesionmetal wrote:
Send my page "Possession (Colombia)" and added to the blacklist but I do not know why, the only thing I can think of is that the album had not been released, it had a future date but I read the rules and it seems that there is no inconvenient with this, it is also sure that it is a metal band.
if someone can help me with this I would be very grateful

down I leave a song of the band so that they verify that if it is metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R3FNuA-quc

There's no possession, possesion ot posession on the blacklist, so I'm guessing you're refering to Posesión which was rejected and blacklisted because it was submitted multiple times without proof of anything. Now we at least have a link to the music (can't listen right now), but what about a valid release?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 am 

DShepherd wrote:
What if the bands first EP is in production, to be released soon? Is that allowed? If so what proof is necessary?

If the band already is on the site you can add upcoming albums if the artwork, tracklist and release date are available and confirmed by an official source (band, label,..)

If the band is not on the site yet, please wait for the EP to be released before submitting, because we only allow official and public releases once they actually exist/are released.
Might be wise to read our rules, too...

mortiis_daemonium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:19 am 

hi, I m Vanni from italy...
I've just re-submitted my band https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tr ... 540442721#
a lot been regected..
cause : the gener sayed Hard Rock by moderator...
OK, but is a pure HEAVY band
belive me ;)
chack my web site and listen to the songs

InfiniteDimension.altervista.org

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 am 

mortiis_daemonium wrote:
hi, I m Vanni from italy...
I've just re-submitted my band https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tr ... 540442721#
a lot been regected..
cause : the gener sayed Hard Rock by moderator...
OK, but is a pure HEAVY band
belive me ;)
chack my web site and listen to the songs

InfiniteDimension.altervista.org

The fact that you wrote "Hard Rock" in the genre was not the issue. Regardless of what is written there, we will always listen to the actual music. In this case, several moderators listened to the music which you provided in your submission and decided that it was more hard rock than metal. Sorry.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:20 pm 

Hello again!
I'm wondering why Jesus Cróst (Netherlands) is blacklisted
Here's an album Bandcamp: https://bonesbrigaderecords.bandcamp.com/album/1986
The riffs are quite technical in some songs and more Metal than -core mainly. Others tunes are a little bit "slammy". What do you think people?
EDIT: I know that I do not have to compare, but... can't stop thinking about Gutalax (?
Thank you as always.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm 

ᴎostalgiʞK wrote:
Hello again!
I'm wondering why Jesus Cróst (Netherlands) is blacklisted
Here's an album Bandcamp: https://bonesbrigaderecords.bandcamp.com/album/1986
The riffs are quite technical in some songs and more Metal than -core mainly. Others tunes are a little bit "slammy". What do you think people?
EDIT: I know that I do not have to compare, but... can't stop thinking about Gutalax (?
Thank you as always.

Blacklisted for being crust punk in 2014, though the blacklisting precedes the release of this album. This sounds more metal to me, whitelisted.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:04 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Blacklisted for being crust punk in 2014, though the blacklisting precedes the release of this album. This sounds more metal to me, whitelisted.

I just submitted it to the queue, thanks as always Mutant.

I'm wondering if ODIO (from Paraguay) is blacklisted because of its chugging riffs?
https://odio999.bandcamp.com/album/dond ... ternamente

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:04 pm 

ᴎostalgiʞK wrote:
I'm wondering if ODIO (from Paraguay) is blacklisted because of its chugging riffs?
https://odio999.bandcamp.com/album/dond ... ternamente

Yes. It's definitely more -core than metal.

mediocridad
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:14 am 

Sepsis, Death metal, United State is blacklisted but they released their demo on cd today:
https://sepsisdeathmetal.bandcamp.com/a ... -demo-2018

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:27 am 

mediocridad wrote:
Sepsis, Death metal, United State is blacklisted but they released their demo on cd today:
https://sepsisdeathmetal.bandcamp.com/a ... -demo-2018

Whitelisted, feel free to submit.

posesionmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:02 am 

Hello my band Posesión (Colombia) has been written on the blacklist and I think it must be a mistake since no rules are met and I'm sure it's a metal band

we will release the album this December 1st
I have proof with the image of the cover and design of the cassettes

could please remove the band from the blacklist? Or will I have to wait until the physical material is released?

Last edited by posesionmetal on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:47 am 

posesionmetal wrote:
Hello my band Posesión (Colombia) has been written on the blacklist and I think it must be a mistake since no rules are met and I'm sure it's a metal band

Allow me to just quote my reply to your last request from yesterday:
Quote:
rejected and blacklisted because it was submitted multiple times without proof of anything. Now we at least have a link to the music (can't listen right now), but what about a valid release?

Don't repeat yourself to oblivion, please. If you have a valid release (read our rules) come back with proof for it :)

bulletfreak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 pm 

Once again trying to have my project, Lord Effluvia, whitelisted. I put out an album more recently with some more metal elements that I think it should qualify.

https://lordeffluvia.bandcamp.com/album ... -suffering

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm 

bulletfreak wrote:
Once again trying to have my project, Lord Effluvia, whitelisted. I put out an album more recently with some more metal elements that I think it should qualify.

https://lordeffluvia.bandcamp.com/album ... -suffering

Not even close to being close...

posesionmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:09 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
posesionmetal wrote:

Quote:
rejected and blacklisted because it was submitted multiple times without proof of anything. Now we at least have a link to the music (can't listen right now), but what about a valid release?

Don't repeat yourself to oblivion, please. If you have a valid release (read our rules) come back with proof for it :)

could please remove the band from the blacklist? Or will I have to wait until the physical material is released?

How can I send the tests when I have them? Can it be by private message?

Last edited by posesionmetal on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
posesionmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:14 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
posesionmetal wrote:

Quote:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:35 pm 

posesionmetal wrote:

We only accept bands that have at least one release which is already available. Come back on December 1st and submit proof that the band is metal (audio samples) and proof that the album is physically released (photos of the cassettes, or links to online stores where they can be bought), and then the band can be removed from the blacklist. But not until then.

posesionmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:01 pm 

I mean who can I send these tests, could it be through a proven message? or

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:12 pm 

You can upload the pictures to a website like Imgur. If the music isn't going to be released online, you can upload the files to a filesharing website like DropBox or Mediafire and then include a private link when you submit the band.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:53 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
We encourage your help in making this metal database accurate and complete! "Nearly-riffless bands that are nothing but mindless chug breakdowns" are not allowed here, so please bring all the ones on MA you know of to our attention and we'll either agree with you and delete them or explain to you why we believe they belong here. Thanks! :)

(EDIT: But really, this thread is not the place for your personal feelings on MA. Unless you have a specific band you’re wondering about, don’t post here.)

'kay then you should probably get rid of literally half the Brutal Death/Slam Metal on here? Enmity's review section is like 90% people who all agree that their music is just a wall of chugs and breakdowns slams without any real riffs but they get in...somehow. And this is true of a lot of fucking awful Slam bands.

I don't give a shit if you don't like chugs or breakdowns (I don't really give a fuck what you think about me in general) but you can't blacklist djent bands because they have "too many chugs" and are "too based in hardcore riffing" yet allow the same shitty Slam bands that barely feature fucking song structure in the first goddamn place. I'm actually fine with you guys not liking djent or whatever but at least pretend to have some consistent deliberation.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:06 pm 

Enmity is a brutal death metal band with consistent death metal riff patterns; listen closer and you will hear them. They will not be deleted. The bottom line is that slam death metal takes more of its influences from death metal (see Suffocation) than it does from hardcore, and so it is considered a metal genre. Djent is considered in most cases to be based around prog-rock and nu-metal, two genres that don't have metal riffs by the website's definition. Still, despite the bias you accuse us of having, there are djent bands on the website which are here because we think they are predominantly metal.

But go on, keep telling yourself that MA selectively picks and chooses genres to include based on our personal tastes. It's a lot easier to believe that than taking the time to listen to music intently and understand its influences. PM me if you want to keep dragging this out, but this is the final time I'm going to warn you not to spam this thread with your whining.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 pm 

Vadara wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:

'kay then you should probably get rid of literally half the Brutal Death/Slam Metal on here? Enmity's review section is like 90% people who all agree that their music is just a wall of chugs and breakdowns slams without any real riffs but they get in...somehow. And this is true of a lot of fucking awful Slam bands.

I don't give a shit if you don't like chugs or breakdowns (I don't really give a fuck what you think about me in general) but you can't blacklist djent bands because they have "too many chugs" and are "too based in hardcore riffing" yet allow the same shitty Slam bands that barely feature fucking song structure in the first goddamn place. I'm actually fine with you guys not liking djent or whatever but at least pretend to have some consistent deliberation.

We blacklist djent because it's not metal. Period. We're pretty consistent with our own deliberations there, and our definition for what is and isn't metal.

I've said this before elsewhere here, but for the sake of reiterating: we're not here to tell you what to believe in when it comes to what is and isn't metal. Just like everybody else - including individual mods and users on this site - you're free to define metal however you may like to define it. If you want to believe djent is metal, all to you. If you want to believe Slipknot is metal, or that Korn is metal, or even that Journey is metal, again all to you. MA isn't that far removed from being just like everybody else and having its own way of defining what is and isn't metal. The only difference being that MA's way of defining things - at least on some general level - has some agreement among the people who use the site. It doesn't mean people agree with the site 100%, but that our credibility and popularity seems built on some level of compromise and shared understanding -- that we do a good enough job, even if people disagree with us on some things here or there.

So, with that said, we're not asking you to agree with us, and we mean no insult to you personally if you disagree with us, but as far as our rules are concerned and the way we do operate, we are fair and consistent in our decisions on what is and isn't metal enough for this site. If you're upset by that, then that's your own problem, man. We're perfectly happy not including djent (as explained by MutantClannfear above) in our definition of what is metal.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:18 am 

Hi,

Could Shrykull be whitelisted base on this full-length?

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:56 am 

Good night/morning people! Searching on my cd's bands I found one that is Blacklisted here (The Air I Breathe) I think that is blacklisted because of its repetitive and chuggy riffs isn't it? By the other hand there's something technical on here, what do you think folks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEe8P9pXcYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kobLB9pZg1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeigQb4jB4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoO24BJl4iY
(all songs of Anathema's album are here)
EDIT: I didn't found any thread of this
Thank you!!! :)

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:18 am 

ᴎostalgiʞK wrote:
Good night/morning people! Searching on my cd's bands I found one that is Blacklisted here (The Air I Breathe) I think that is blacklisted because of its repetitive and chuggy riffs isn't it? By the other hand there's something technical on here, what do you think folks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEe8P9pXcYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kobLB9pZg1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeigQb4jB4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoO24BJl4iY
(all songs of Anathema's album are here)
EDIT: I didn't found any thread of this
Thank you!!! :)

We don’t consider technicality to be an element of metal, per se, so the fact that the songs have numerous sweep picking sections doesn’t necessarily count in the band’s favor. The core of the music sounds mostly based in -core breakdowns and chord-based metalcore choruses, there’s not that many metal riffs.

EpicDismemberment wrote:
Hi,

Sounds like it should be acceptable, whitelisted for re-evaluation.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:54 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
EpicDismemberment wrote:
Hi,

Sounds like it should be acceptable, whitelisted for re-evaluation.

Thanks Mutant! Pending in the queue.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:45 am 

Hey MA team, I came across a band on Stormm's fb page today that isn't on the archives and turned out to be blacklisted. I'm curious if the release was deemed not metal or if it was perhaps a remnant of the no physical release rules as their only release came years ago and just now got a physical version.

They are very similar to Paysage d'Hiver in that it is a 50/50 mix of ambient and atmospheric black metal, so may be that they just didn't have enough metal.

Band is called Widder, bandcamp link here https://widder.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:48 am 

More ambient than metal.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:13 pm 

Any chance you could whitelist Frozen Blood? Their album releases tomorrow.
https://frozenblood-sma.bandcamp.com/

CD available on Bandcamp and here:
https://www.slovakmetalarmy.sk/produkt/ ... -blood-cd/

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:01 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:14 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

No, still mainly sounds like what got them blacklisted.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518 ... 541  Next