Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 am 

I've recently developed a fascination with indigenous cultures and their music, particularly from the Americas. I'd like to discover more, but there's so much of it and it's hard to know where to start. A quick youtube search will yield a lot of tacky 80's sounding songs, with pan flutes and keyboards and whatnot. I'd like to find more of the following:

- More authentic, original versions of indigenous music (mainly from South America but any part of the world is welcome)

- Modern music with influences from traditional indigenous music. I realise "tacky 80's sounding songs" might fall into this category, so I'll give a few examples of what I've found to be interesting.

A Tribe Called Red - Canadian group mixing electronic music, hip hop, trap etc with first nations music and in some cases indigenous music from other parts of the world

Tanya Tagaq - Inuit singer with her own unique approach to inuit throat singing. A lot of her music is really dark, the following track sounds like something out of Diablo II

Ana Tijoux - Chilean rapper, I'm not sure how much of her music has native influences, but there seems to be a lot of indigenous dancers in the video. Maybe someone from Chile can confirm??

Northern Cree - traditional powwow music (as far as I know) but with lyrics in English about modern day problems, like facebook drama!

Any suggestion is welcome!

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:36 pm 

This isn't like anything you posted but it's traditional Tuvan/Mongolian music and really good too. I saw these guys live earlier this year and they were class.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:43 am 

^

That definitely falls into the first category, so thanks! I actually know them, but I hadn't listened to this particular song. I'm loving it!

Unaerth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 am 

Bear Creek is always superb as well!

Sioux Singers always bring it.

Incorporated into metal:

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:50 am 

The Gyuto Monks Tantric Choir. Play this at loud volumes.

Unaerth wrote:
Bear Creek is always superb as well!

I always get shivers just watching shit like this.

pachozal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm 

Indigenous music in south america is a little hard to get, I'll give you some i know about (mostly colombian)

"Yaki Kandru" a collab between colombian musicians and anthropologists:

The first part is for mexican music. The second is colombian, but one, which is venezuelan

Jesus Pinzon (Contemporary classical), he has been called an "indigenista composer", there are not good recordings of his music however

For "authentic" indigenous music the way to go is anthropologist recordings, indigenous people here distrust the rest of the population as they've benn constantly fucked over
I know this two for the Witoto and Bora people, two tribes from the amazon

Didn't found the side b (witoto) in youtube

Some of our traditional (Colombia) music has indigenous influence or has been associated with them, here are two that have the "indigenous sound"
A "chirimia caucana"

A "bullerengue (the genre is mostly associated with the afro population but they use the gaita an instrument of indigenous origin inusual in this genre)"

PS: The dancers that appear in Tijoux's video are aymara people, I, however don't know much about them
PS2: There's a genre called huayno (Peru-Bolivia) somewhat associated with the indigenous but I don't know much about it
PS3: "Atahualpa Yupanqui" from Argentina was a very known indigenist songwriter, he is mostly associated with what was called "nueva canción latinoamericana" though.

pachozal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:29 pm 

I just remembered there was a peruvian andinian violinist "Maximo Damian Huamani", I think what he does is the more traditional form of huayno.
The snging may need a little bit of getting used to it

Maybe you like Toumani Diabate a traditional kora player from Mali (he is member of a whole music dynasty). I think his music is very other-worldly

There's also Nana Vasconcelos from Brazil, though whether his music is traditional or not is up to discussion. He surely derives his music from different traditions however.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:26 am 

I bought a CD lot once and this one was among the few non-metal CDs I kept.

Spoiler: show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4bDuo-ghiY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzeNlth6wQ

It's Bolivian music I think.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm 

Korpgud wrote:
^

That definitely falls into the first category, so thanks! I actually know them, but I hadn't listened to this particular song. I'm loving it!

Cool, I'm glad you like it.

Are you familiar with the chants of Russian Orthodox Christianity?

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:28 pm 

I've actually been getting into a good bit of folksy Soviet Russian songs . I'm not sure if said category fits the bill for this thread though , so I apologize if I'm straying off topic ...

If not then I will post a few in time .

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:38 am 

Try Brian Jones - The Pipes of Pan at Joujouka. Make sure you smoke plenty of hashish or eat plenty of majoun. Majoun or majun (Arabic: معجون‎) is a Moroccan confection, which can resemble a pastry ball, fudge, or jam. Ingredients can include honey, nuts, and dried fruits, and the treat is commonly made as a cannabis edible, sometimes in combination of opium and seeds of datura. Or enjoy the music sober. The music will take care of that problem for you.

Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka is an album produced by Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. The album was a recording of the Moroccan group the Master Musicians of Joujouka, in performance on 29 July 1968 in the village of Jajouka in Morocco and released on Rolling Stones Records, and distributed by Atco Records in 1971. Jones called the tracks "a specially chosen representation" of music played in the village during the annual week-long Rites of Pan Festival. It was significant for presenting the Moroccan group to a global audience, drawing other musicians to Jajouka, including Ornette Coleman.
https://youtu.be/waSvVHYSyGA

Joujouka Black Eyes is a CD by Moroccan Sufi trance musicians Master Musicians of Joujouka. It was released in May 1995 on Sub Rosa Records. It was produced by Frank Rynne and includes the song "Brian Jones Joujouka very Stoned" written by Joujouka born painter Mohamed Hamri. This song commemorates the third visit of Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones to Jajouka. On this visit Jones recorded Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka. The group on this CD includes veteran Joujouka musician Mujehid Mujdoubi (1893-1997).
https://youtu.be/JTFr4KAPWsY

There is a rival faction of Moroccan musicians called Master Musicians of Jajouka as well. Jajouka Between the Mountains is one of their releases. This recording is so good there are moments while listening when you flicker in and out of focus until you disappear into thin air.
https://youtu.be/kjQefHjLSTo

Paul Bowles also released some of the recordings he made while living in Morocco as a permanent expatriate. Paul Bowles was a pioneer in the field of North African ethnomusicology, making field recordings from 1959 to 1961 of traditional Moroccan music for the US Library of Congress. The collection includes dance music, secular music, music for Ramadan and other festivals, and music for animistic rituals. Bowles realised that modern culture would inevitably change and influence the practice of traditional music, and he wanted to preserve some of it.
https://youtu.be/I14WpqEj_aM

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:00 pm 

A very good compilation of modern North American native music, contemporary from the 60's to the mid 80's
https://lightintheattic.net/releases/13 ... -1966-1985

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:19 am 

while i do listen to various european folk acts i kind of specialize in turkic folk.

Some of my favourites are:

from Turkey

I am actually seeing her tonight, apparently she kinda hung out with one of my aunts back in the day.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6GBvz5DEA9lqUzgMNHp4CB
sadly this album is rather hard to find online but I have not heard a better rendition of zeybek songs, notable as well as literally being the music of my people.

The man with the most manly voice in human history.

The master of Anadolu rock Erkin Koray. Anadolu rock is ofcourse notable for mixing western psychedelic pop/rock with Turkish music. In a way a more natural combination than the original western version.

Turkic music:

The musical genius from Tuva himself Albert Kuvezin's main band Yatkha. Certainly one of the best throat singers, but also beyond that very creative in creating a new spin on everything.

Aşıq Nargile is notable for not only being part of the Azeri minority in Georgia but also because there arent many female Aşıqs.

Possibly the best throat singer I've ever heard and also one of the few artists who always cheers me up.

bonus

The master of dabke Omar Souleyman and possibly the coolest dude on earth.

Turkish/Dutch modern take on Anadolu rock, quite a bit more funky and still cool.

zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:21 pm 

It's super neat hearing different styles of music like this.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:50 pm 

Speaking of Turkic folk music , I came across this anthem that I think is very cool : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBnAZ_qSYJU

Reply to topic