Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:45 pm 

https://twitter.com/powertriptx/status/ ... 57344?s=19

I'm not sure what to make of Power Trip's tweet. The conversation that follows it is pretty stupid. Has Napalm Death done or said something recently? Anyone have any incite?

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 pm 

Same old story, there's a bunch of nazis that just discovered Napalm Death are a political band and got all angry and upsed so I think they tried to boycott Napalm Death. That's why Power Trip say "nazi punks fuck off" which is a Dead Kennedys' cover Napalm Death always play.

That weird guy in the comments couldn't be more cringey, he's making a fool of himself.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:04 pm 

I wonder if it's related to their recent appearance on the Slayer farewell tour? I wouldn't be surprised if some knuckledragging mosh bro/meatheads who make up a portion of Slayer's audience discovered them in recent months through that...I really can't imagine anyone who's known about the band for very long being surprised by Barney's statements (especially considering they aren't particularly offensive or inflammatory - he simply called Trump a "terrible human being" in a recent interview).

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:55 am 

true_death wrote:
I wonder if it's related to their recent appearance on the Slayer farewell tour? I wouldn't be surprised if some knuckledragging mosh bro/meatheads who make up a portion of Slayer's audience discovered them in recent months through that...I really can't imagine anyone who's known about the band for very long being surprised by Barney's statements (especially considering they aren't particularly offensive or inflammatory - he simply called Trump a "terrible human being" in a recent interview).

You'd be surprised. There's a lot of morons out there that have no idea how political Napalm Death are until they go to one of their shows. I've seen it happen more than once. The same happened with Ministry recently, there was a lot of people that discovered Al Jourgensen ideas in that recent Antifa video, you only need to read the comments in Youtube.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:01 am 

I familiar with Napalm Death being political, but I'm not familiar with any of their music outside a handful of songs. The stuff I've heard didn't do much for me so I'm not really a fan. It's probably why I missed the lyrics in that tweet. As you can tell, the tweet was confusing for a guy who doesn't follow Napalm Death. Either way, your replies make the tweet make sense now. Thanks

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:11 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I familiar with Napalm Death being political, but I'm not familiar with any of their music outside a handful of songs. The stuff I've heard didn't do much for me so I'm not really a fan. It's probably why I missed the lyrics in that tweet. As you can tell, the tweet was confusing for a guy who doesn't follow Napalm Death. Either way, your replies make the tweet make sense now. Thanks

Just to clarify, it's ok to not know they are political if you're not familiar with the band. If you want to cath up I'd recommend their 2000-2012 era, they released a lot of pretty good death/grind albums (Enemy of the Music Business, Order of the Leech, Leaders Not Followers, The Code Is Red, Smear Campaign, Time Waits for No Slave, Utilitarian...)

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:20 am 

k311250 wrote:
fourrobert13 wrote:

Just to clarify, it's ok to not know they are political if you're not familiar with the band. If you want to cath up I'd recommend their 2000-2012 era, they released a lot of pretty good death/grind albums (Enemy of the Music Business, Order of the Leech, Leaders Not Followers, The Code Is Red, Smear Campaign, Time Waits for No Slave, Utilitarian...)

Most of what I heard is from that time frame. It just didn't do anything for me so I've had no desire to check them out any further. Not my type of death metal. They weren't on the bill when I saw Slayer back in June (it was Behemoth then). Just not a fan.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 am 

People listen to ND and don't know how left they are? Wow.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 am 

The idiocy is staggering.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:30 pm 

What band is going to be unmasked next!?
Agathocles? Extreme Noise Terror? Beyond Description?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:13 pm 

true_death wrote:

this is almost 100% the cause. there are loads of dumb metal fans but by fucking god, there's no way in hell anyone aware of napalm death aren't also aware of their politics.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:52 pm 

How the fuck can someone look at an album title like "The Code is Red, Long Live The Code" and not think they're left wing? What's next? Complaining about veganism at a Cattle Decapitation gig?

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:09 pm 

http://www.metalinjection.net/politics/ ... ing-people

Napalm Death frontman "gets political". Yeah, sure.

theposega wrote:
true_death wrote:

this is almost 100% the cause. there are loads of dumb metal fans but by fucking god, there's no way in hell anyone aware of napalm death aren't also aware of their politics.

I'm not lying when I say people get mad every time Barney says he's anti-Trump. Just a few examples I found in a quick search:

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:21 pm 

People getting called out for being nazi's more nowadays since they think it's ok b/c our president is racist, then getting upset. lol. But yes, since when is Napalm Death being political a new thing?

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:08 am 

There's too much stupidity to take in here. The state of the world is fucked.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:23 am 

Oddeye wrote:
There's too much stupidity to take in here. The state of the world is fucked.

Haha. True.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 am 

k311250 wrote:
http://www.metalinjection.net/politics/napalm-death-frontman-gets-political-in-front-of-slayers-crowd-equality-and-dignity-for-all-fucking-people

Napalm Death frontman "gets political". Yeah, sure.

God, what a stupid fucking article, just a shameless attempt to court controversy and generate clicks. And those comments are indeed par for the course on Fb these days, it makes me wonder if these people realize that they themselves are basically "SJW" now, they are just as emotional and whiny, just as arrogant and self-righteous...the only difference is that they want people to shut up about social issues. God, that guy with the "FEMINISM IS CANCER" profile pic whining about "globalists" :lol:...

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:47 am 

Quote:
Humanity equals dignity and equality for all human beings without exception, each and every one. No matter how they might look, how they might seem to you, or from wherever they have traveled – equality and dignity for all fucking people. It's the only way forward."

Napalm Death bringing messages from Europe of the 1700s to San Jose (though I wish he had added animals as well). "0h, and another thing" Barney growled "evolution is real!". Crowd gasps, tears flow.

I don't even like political lyrics but ND's are usually quite ok and a bit smarter than those of many punk bands, as far as I ever looked at them.

As for calling everybody a Nazi (member of a political party that stopped existing in 1945), I do wish people would be a bit more precise with language and also that they looked closer to home for inspiration but that's just how many are, simplistic and angry. Something that puts me off when looking at either end of the political spectrum. Just people shouting at each other, no progression or growth, same old. As you get older this gets tiresome to see how everything stays the same as younger generations become more active politically.

It's like the all need a bogeyman. Not everybody that has different political ideas is a Nazi (Trump, and I'm not a fan, with his Jewish family, pro-Israel stance and massive love for capitalist profiteering, for example), commie (e.g. if you want universal health care in the USA lol), Jew and whatever else they use to make sense of a complicated out of control world. Also, I'd go as far, even though I understand why it is used, that calling people Nazi in a North American context is almost a form of othering. It neatly avoids looking at one's own history and attitudes and where they come from. Whilst there probably are some plastic (neo-)Nazi cosplay types in the USA, I'd assume most are closer related to old American traditions, it's after all a country in which even Italians and Irish were seen as something lesser.

Last edited by HaPoStaPu on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:47 am 

Any loser who claims to listen to Napalm Death yet are oblivious to their political stance have no business in listening to them anyway and should probably stick to whatever war metal flavor of the month because it's "only about the riffs, bro".

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:34 pm 

Epicureo wrote:
What band is going to be unmasked next!?
Agathocles? Extreme Noise Terror? Beyond Description?

Doom? Dropdead? Disorder? The list is endless!!

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:05 am 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
Any loser who claims to listen to Napalm Death yet are oblivious to their political stance have no business in listening to them anyway and should probably stick to whatever war metal flavor of the month because it's "only about the riffs, bro".

Then I'm your loser. I couldn't give a fuck what anyone sings about as long as it's not brainless Beiber style 'baby baby baby'.

The music sounds good, that's what I'm in it for. I couldn't care less if Harmony Corruption - their best IMO - was about politics or a concept album about a bunch of fucking aliens. It sounds good, and my ears thank me.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:01 am 

gabber wrote:
CrippledLucifer wrote:

Then I'm your loser. I couldn't give a fuck what anyone sings about as long as it's not brainless Beiber style 'baby baby baby'.

The music sounds good, that's what I'm in it for. I couldn't care less if Harmony Corruption - their best IMO - was about politics or a concept album about a bunch of fucking aliens. It sounds good, and my ears thank me.

I don't think that's what the guy was saying. You don't have to care what their lyrics are about, but getting angry at the band for simply expressing political beliefs that are in line with the lyrical themes they've had since the dawn of the fuckin' band is hilariously idiotic. It's like getting mad at Glen Benton for not going to church on Sunday and being totally shocked to learn of his Satanic beliefs even though it's front and center in literally every single song the band has ever released :lol:.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:46 am 

gabber wrote:
CrippledLucifer wrote:

But the thing is that everything political and social about Napalm Death was so in the face of the listeners since their demo/hardcore punk days that getting shocked about some of the members' stance on president Trump it's ridiculously absurd.
Just look at the titles of the albums and songs: even the more commercial groove infused death metal era was politically charged!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 pm 

Wow. Literally every single person in this thread misread the tweet. It's saying "Nazi punks fuck off. Napalm Death forever."

Napalm Death covered the song "Nazi punks fuck off" and Power Trip is proclaiming solidarity with another left-wing band. You guys are hyper-sensitive and jump to the weirdest fucking conclusions :lol:

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:38 pm 

On the Slayer tour (I'm sure he just generally does this but this was the first time I've ever seen them), Barney makes thinly-veiled political statements inbetween each song. They're never particularly controversial taken on their own, but it's obvious what he's alluding to. Then at the end he outright says "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" and then they play that song. Given the stereotypical perception of Slayer and Lamb of God's fanbase, I knew there would be at least some in the audience who would be upset by their performance. Especially given that, at least at the Denver date, there seemed to be a lot of people who weren't aware of Napalm Death (or even Testament and Anthrax for that matter), I could see Napalm Death taking some people by surprise.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:39 pm 

Epicureo wrote:
But the thing is that everything political and social about Napalm Death was so in the face of the listeners since their demo/hardcore punk days that getting shocked about some of the members' stance on president Trump it's ridiculously absurd.
Just look at the titles of the albums and songs: even the more commercial groove infused death metal era was politically charged!

But that still doesn't explain what's wrong with the "it's only about the riffs" attitude.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Wow. Literally every single person in this thread misread the tweet. It's saying "Nazi punks fuck off. Napalm Death forever."

Napalm Death covered the song "Nazi punks fuck off" and Power Trip is proclaiming solidarity with another left-wing band. You guys are hyper-sensitive and jump to the weirdest fucking conclusions :lol:

Aren't you the one jumping to conclusions without having read the thread?
Everyone was explaining that to the OP.
Xenophon wrote:
Epicureo wrote:

But that still doesn't explain what's wrong with the "it's only about the riffs" attitude.

Nothing of course, maybe I shouldn't have quoted him because my post was once again about the people surprised about Napalm Death's political positions, not about that poster's disinterest towards their lyrics.

Reply to topic