4. Sippin' From The Insanitea
5. It's Always Something
6. Lost My Brain…Once Again
7. Nothin' To Lose
8. Gonna Be Alright
9. Ain't Gonna Get Me
10. All I Ever Get
11. Save A Peace For

New ST album coming out next month, however, it appears to be Cyco Miko's Lost my Brain album.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... %29/507097

From what I've read, it's a re-recording of that album so I'm not sure what they're going for, but I don't think I've heard the Lost my Brain album. World Gone Mad was excellent so I hope this (whatever it is) doesn't take them the wrong direction. I'll check it out because I'm a ST fan, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:17 pm 

The drums sound awesome!

Yes it is.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm 

First single.

https://youtu.be/qjARi5T_mJI

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:12 pm 

ST fan here, so I'll be picking it up. Lost My Brain was a fairly straightforward punk rock album - too punk to be ST really. I assume this will be more of a beefed-up crossover take on said album. I do kinda like LMB though I do find some of the songs to be unnecessarily long (especially for punk) for what they are. Assuming the riffs have been sped up on this re-recording, the songs will be shorter? 'F.U.B.A.R.' was the shortest song on LMB by the way.

On a side note, the whole ST discography has it's fair share of albums like this. Controlled by Hatred was full of re-recorded No Mercy and Los Cycos tunes (Mike's other bands) and the debut was re-recorded entirely for Still Cyco After All These Years. Then we had that 2010 No Mercy Fool! compilation full of more No Mercy and Join the Army re-recordings. Wouldn't be surprised if they do an Infectious Grooves one next.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:25 pm 

I feel like I should be annoyed by that cover art but it's actually awesome.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:24 pm 

tahu157 wrote:

Reminds me of a Meliah Rage cover.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:22 am 

I love World Gone Mad but this sounds ... boring.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:49 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:

I found the Cyco Miko album and gave it a listen. I didn't find it all that exciting. At this point, I'll probably pass on this one.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:

I haven't heard this new version, but I remember that being the consensus when the Cyko Miko album was released back in the day. I don't really get Mike Muir's desire to re-record so much of his old material.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:36 am 

tahu157 wrote:

The Exploited reference?

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:31 am 

I gave this a listen this morning. Overall it's not bad, but knowing it's not original material is kind of a let down. The re-recording is much better than the Pyco Miko version with less punk influence. I'll spin it some more to see if it grows on me. I will say that the drumming is really good and stands out on this album.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:40 am 

Cool, I liked the Cyco Miko album, got it immediately when it was released (ST fanboy here) and I'm curious to hear it again with the new team.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:19 am 

still going after all these year! wow the only album i got into was join the army back in the day!
what are the other essential albums?

will need to get a listen to this too

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:10 am 

tl;dr: Essential Suicidal Tendencies: How Will I Laugh Tomorrow and Lights...Camera...Revolution for most metalheads. Debut for the crossover fan. Art of Rebellion, Suicidal for Life for their fans who appreciate their variety.

----

First one (s/t) is a classic and one of the first crossover albums ever. Hardcore punks prefer this one over everything else. Institutionalized is here. I actually prefer the re-recording of this ("Still Cyco After All These Years", so there is the original reference of the current title) as it has a fatter sound and far better musicinaship without sacrificing any of the bite. But of course I'm in the minority on that one. Still, Institutionalized always sounds amazing.

Join the Army you know. How Will I Laugh Tomorrow is even more metal and the logical next step for you. The song How Will I Laugh Tomorrow and Trip at the Brain are the most famous songs here.

Lights...Camera...Revolution is the favorite of most thrashers/metalheads I know. Starts with You Can't Bring Me Down, which is certainly their most well-known song and a damn classic. Probably my favorite ST album as well. Rob Trujillo got in the band at this point which meant some funk creeping in. That did not sit well with a lot of people. Personally I think it's great but YMMV.

Art of Rebellion: Their 92 album further infuriated purists (punks and metalheads alike), imagine something like Countdown to Extinction meets Dirt for the sound, but you can't pinpoint a genre; it's metal, it's alternative, it's funky, it's psychedelic even at times. Love it personally (Can't Stop and Asleep at the Wheel are my favorite cuts). It was very successful, they also toured with Metallica back then.

Suicidal for Life: Their record company (Epic) told them to tone down the language and get more commercial for their last album with them and the result was this. Art of Rebellion if it was a straight hardcore punk / metal album, with most of the titles containing the word shit and fuck, just because. This is sometimes my favorite ST album, just brilliant songwriting and attitude (Suicyco Muthafucka, No Fuckin' Problem, No Bullshit are some of my favorites). Excellent sound by the way, both these albums.

MAJOR props to Rocky George, their black guitarist since Join the Army, excellent solos always.

Then came the breaking up. The Cyco Miko album was released a bit later and set the tone for the reunion a few years later. Simpler stuff and closer to the hc approach of the debut but more polished. Two albums, both of them cool enough but I'd recommend them mostly to their very early fans or diehard fans of Cyco Miko's style.

Then came the *real* comeback, which was 13, which is the album that continues where they left off in Suicidal for Life. In terms of style and playing. Kind of like a mix between Art of Rebellion and Suicidal for Life. I don't think it's an album for everyone, esp. classic metalheads but for ST fans this was heaven. And they had Eric Moore on drums, who is a bona fide drum god and actually seeing him behind this kit can be compared to seeing Vinnie Colaiuta playing for Megadeth. The difference being Colaiuta recorded everything in a few hours mimicking Menza and the result is underwhelming for that name. Eric Moore just fucking destroys everything and gives the whole thing so much class it's not even funny (the drumming in "God Only Knows" for example).

Then Dave Lombardo joined, who was always a crossover fan, so this is like Join the Army style with the experience of Suicidal for Life/13, with Lombardo providing the foundation. Loved it as well. The title track sums up the style.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Reply to topic