Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 pm 

I'm looking forward to this one and really like the new track. They have a Vektor vibe to their sound, but not as complicated (maybe not the best way to describe it, but hey) IMO.

Quote:
It’s been a minute since we’ve heard from Black Fast. The promising St. Louis thrash outfit released Terms of Surrender in 2015 to praise from both critics and the metal world at large, did a whole bunch of touring to support it then took some time off to recharge their batteries.

Black Fast return from their brief hiatus today with a new song called “Cloak of Lies” and a music video to go along with it. With new songs usually come new albums, and that’s certainly the case here: Spectre of Ruin will hit mid-summer!

“Cloak of Lies” finds Black Fast doing what Black Fast have always done so well: unrelenting, savage thrash with a dose of progressive riffing thrown in. The middle section of this song reminds us a bit of The Sound of Perseverance-era Death, but don’t worry, Black Fast don’t get too out there; things come full circle and it’s back to their usual, pummeling thrash assault before too long. Producer Erik Rutan has once again done a bang-up job of dialing in a crisp-sounding recording without sacrificing any of the rawness that makes the music what it is.

Black Fast’s new album Spectre of Ruin on Friday, July 13, 2018, via Entertainment One; pre-order here (digital) and here (physical).

Not my favorite source, but it's where I found it...

http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/05/07/tr ... -135383861

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 pm 

Yeah stoked as hell for this. These guys killed it on that Vektor tour.

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:52 am 

Not too excited about it.
Terms Of Surrender was cool but their drummer kinda ruined it after a while, constantly smashing the same cymbal, at the same pace, on ALL THE FUCKING SONGS.
Once you notice it, it becomes teeth-grinding and fucking annoying. That's a shame because there were good tunes and ideas, their thrash is sprinkled with prog hints and remains savage and brutal.
I listened to their new song aaaaaaand what am i hearing again? This same cymbal-bludgeoning almost all the way through. I will give it a chance though, because on their first record the drums were way better and diversified, so Mr Ross Burnett is a capable drummer. I hope the band chose varied rhythm patterns on this new album, unless i will pass my turn.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:12 am 

Anthony Pwl wrote:
Terms Of Surrender was cool but their drummer kinda ruined it after a while, constantly smashing the same cymbal, at the same pace, on ALL THE FUCKING SONGS.
Once you notice it, it becomes teeth-grinding and fucking annoying. That's a shame because there were good tunes and ideas, their thrash is sprinkled with prog hints and remains savage and brutal.

Jesus Christ you are right and now that I notice it I can't unnotice it.

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:33 pm 

Anthony Pwl wrote:
I listened to their new song aaaaaaand what am i hearing again? This same cymbal-bludgeoning almost all the way through. I will give it a chance though, because on their first record the drums were way better and diversified, so Mr Ross Burnett is a capable drummer. I hope the band chose varied rhythm patterns on this new album, unless i will pass my turn.

That was my main gripe with Terms of Surrender. I kept waiting for them to kick it into high gear, to go into a double time thrash beat, but it never happened.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:02 pm 

how does a band of (presumably) native english speakers end up with such an engrish name

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 am 

I've listened to this a couple times now. I liked the first single quite a bit. However, every song on this thing sounds exactly the same. I'm not sure what they were going for, but I'm not digging it at all.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:03 pm 

theposega wrote:
how does a band of (presumably) native english speakers end up with such an engrish name

Is it a noun? Like a fast (abstinence from food) that is black? I think a "black fast" is a Catholic thing, not sure if that is what the name refers to though.

I realize this is from months ago but eh.

Also I personally really like the album. There is one speed/vibe, but that has never stopped me from liking anything else before.

frofrodajimmyboy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:32 pm 

Yeah, I was initially wary of this album. Seemed like they were going too far into a "black" direction like Skeletonwitch, but I've been listening to Spectre of Ruin for the past week and it has really grown on me. Some of the best tracks weren't released as singles (I really like "Famine Angel" and "Scarecrow and Spectre"), but even the "too black" songs that initially had me nervous are stuck on repeat now. I wouldn't put it ABOVE their first two albums, but I'd still put it at the same level.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 pm 

I like this band a lot and I tend to prefer their “blacker” moments. I’m pretty surprised that they haven’t gotten bigger, honestly. They have been touring the States pretty consistently for a few years now and have a big label behind them.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 pm 

I've spun this a few more times and it just all runs together. It just sounds like they used the same riff in every song IMO.

frofrodajimmyboy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:05 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I've spun this a few more times and it just all runs together. It just sounds like they used the same riff in every song IMO.

As much as I like them, this is generally how most of their songs are. Very samey sounding, just with a couple unique "cool riff parts" per song. I like them for those parts, because they're really fuckin' good, but I can see why someone would want the rest of the song to be more than glue between some good riffs.

Embarrased to say, I've seen them twice and loved it, but I often wasn't quite sure what songs were being played :x

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:23 am 

Surprise surprise, this new album is a goddamn 43 minutes song with the same fucking pace and riffs going on and on.
If it wasn't for "Starving Out The Light", one could think this band is just... limited. What a reduction in rank in my book :/

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:05 pm 

Anthony Pwl wrote:
Surprise surprise, this new album is a goddamn 43 minutes song with the same fucking pace and riffs going on and on.
If it wasn't for "Starving Out The Light", one could think this band is just... limited. What a reduction in rank in my book :/

Based on your last post, sounds like they didn't have a very "high ranking" in the first place.

:getout:

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:55 am 

After "Starving Out The Light", they had.
I was disappointed with "Terms Of Surrender" but that was not enough for me to lose all hope, so i waited for the new album.
I mean, even after the new single release i was still hoping for diversity in "Spectre Of Ruin".

Based on my last post.

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:40 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I've listened to this a couple times now. I liked the first single quite a bit. However, every song on this thing sounds exactly the same. I'm not sure what they were going for, but I'm not digging it at all.

Yeah, same here. Super-disappointing, hopefully they get their shit together on the next release. They come through where I live a lot, but I have yet to see them...

Reply to topic