Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:02 am 

Hell no. Motorhead is basically the same thing for all of their albums. Judas Priest managed to illustrate different aspects of metal throughout their career and their guitarists are damn skilled.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:51 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Motorhead is better than Judas Priest. Enough said.

You're lucky this FFA's pun doesn't involve banning!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:52 pm 

Wow, the new Sloth single is pretty good!

I love Sloth.
All their songs sound the same
Some people think its funny
Others may think it's lame

I love Sloth
The greatest band there ever was
And all their songs
Sound like endless static fuzz

I love Sloth
The greatest band on the earth
Their musical thunder
needs to be listened to and heard

I love Sloth
Everyone listens to Sloth
Even your mother listens to Sloth
I....Love...Sloth!!

I love Sloth
A new single came out today
And I cant wait...
...to listen to it play!

I love Sloth
Worlds most prolific band
And I'm so proud..
...to call myself a fan

I... love... Sloth!!!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:54 pm 

70's Priest > Motorhead
80's to current Priest < Motorhead

80's Priest is an exercise in frustration for me. About half of a given album will be glorious, scorching heavy metal, and the other half will be... Love Bites.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:11 pm 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
Hell no. Motorhead is basically the same thing for all of their albums. Judas Priest managed to illustrate different aspects of metal throughout their career and their guitarists are damn skilled.

Implying that Motorhead's guitarists weren't skilled? I've seen enough for today.

I like Motorhead more than Priest. They were a better band; they were better live... but I don't really see a comparison between the two.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:35 pm 

They're not really comparable but I thought it was accepted as fact at this point that Priest released a string of massive classics before becoming the most notorious hit-or-miss band in metal and everybody who thinks every Motorhead song sounds the same is a luddite that should be ignored.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:45 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:
Motorhead is better than Judas Priest. Enough said.

You're lucky this FFA's pun doesn't involve banning!

Oh Lord I hope I ain't spreadin' evil!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:46 am 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:

By "illustrate", I realy hope you mean "set in motion".

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 am 

I have completed my training and I passed. This last couple of days have been a real test of my resilience and mental health and it was really up in the air whether I would get through, but I managed to get there, just. So I'm now a police radio operator and my first shift is on Monday.

Three months of hell and now hopefully I can finally earn some money and make my resume look good, and finally have a good answer to "what do you do?" I still feel very unqualified and others who already work there told me that I'm not going to be very good at first, but over time I will improve and be able to handle channels better and log information with better ease. I hope that is the case.

In the meantime, I have some celebratory drinks tomorrow and Saturday night. Now that I'm looking forward to.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:19 am 

Well, that's awesome! Your willpower is paying off!

And yes, fuckups are the norm in the first months, even serious ones. it takes time and tries to develop a reliable work method: work dealers know that only the ones who do nothing never fuck up :)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:05 am 

Thanks, mate. I was rubbish this week, though, and even the trainers were on the fence about me passing but today I managed to make the stars align a little more in my assessment and I managed to get through. I guess my willpower is paying off a little.

I'll try not to make too many fuck-ups but yes, I will make mistakes and they can be corrected, but serious ones can put lives in danger so I'll try to stay away from that one, haha. But my colleagues will not expect that I will know everything and it will take a year or so to really get a handle on everything I will get. In time I will get better. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:16 am 

I play Maiden and Sabbath more than either Motorhead or Priest, but I'd say Motorhead ekes out Priest by a short margin for me. Not really a point in comparing though. Both are great at their best.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I play Maiden and Sabbath more than either Motorhead or Priest, but I'd say Motorhead ekes out Priest by a short margin for me. Not really a point in comparing though. Both are great at their best.

I love Maiden man. When you say "ekes", do you mean that Motorhead is better than Priest?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:28 am 

Yeah they are slightly better for me, but there's really no point in even comparing the two. I've just played Motorhead slightly more probably.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:38 am 

Motorhead has some of the best riffs I've probably ever heard. I'm not trying to be a fanboy but they are just that good.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:42 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Andreas_Hansen wrote:

Implying that Motorhead's guitarists weren't skilled? I've seen enough for today.

No. Strange to have enough for today just by imaging wrong things.

Acrobat wrote:
I like Motorhead more than Priest. They were a better band; they were better live... but I don't really see a comparison between the two.

Your choice. But I find Priest way more impressive on stage, especially on the last years of the life of Motorhead where Lemmy just seemed being replaced by a wax statue.

And no actually it is quite strange to compare both.

Xlxlx wrote:
By "illustrate", I realy hope you mean "set in motion".

Yes.

Motorhead is great as well. Excellent riffing and all. I simply prefer Priest.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:53 am 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
(...) I find Priest way more impressive on stage, especially on the last years of the life of Motorhead where Lemmy just seemed being replaced by a wax statue.

Oh, come on. I'm with you on being a bigger Priest fan, but that's just kinda mean, man. Dude was basically slowly dying from the inside out. It's a wonder he could even get on stage at all. He deserves some credit for that alone, I think.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm 

And, up until recently, Halford was just standing on stage bent double, barely managing to sing and reading off an autocue (he got much better again, so props to him). Yeah, Lemmy was dying and wasn't great for the last few years. Priest, however, were kinda boring both times I saw them... I saw Motorhead 8 times and they always delivered. Furthermore, they also made great music after 1984 (I find Painkiller to be ho-hum at best).

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:21 pm 

I saw Halford in 2014 and in 2016 and he was awesome, so I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe he had bad nights and good nights, like nearly any performer. Also I love a ton of JP music after 1984 (Painkiller is still my fav JP album).

Also why bicker over these two bands? This is a stupid conversation; the obviously both rule.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:25 pm 

This was in 2008, I think he still smoked and he was just generally out-of-shape. There's loads of footage of him around that time and he was clearly struggling. Thankfully, he's turned it 'round again - if they play near me, I'd definitely be interested in seeing it.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:14 am 

I wish Dax Riggs would show some life in the new album/project department. Eight years is a long time to wait.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 am 

rexxz wrote:

Also why bicker over these two bands? This is a stupid conversation; the obviously both rule.

Because internet.

(But I agree, they are both amazing.)

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 am 

Planters is bringing back their classic Cheez Balls snack.

Some of you youngsters have never had this pinnacle of snack foods, as they've been gone for around 15 years. This was always my favorite snack. Nuts to potato chips, fuck Cheese Nips or Cheetos, meh to Wheat Thins or crackers. It was all about the Planters, PLANTERS brand Cheez Balls. The ultimate snack food. The greatest thing ever conceived.

They are back, they say, for a limited time. I have ordered 30 cans so far. I have missed them so much.

Sure, sure, this seems sad to some of you. But YOU DON'T KNOW. For years, I've purchased other brands of so-called cheese balls which were really TUBS OF LIES. They were NEVER as good, NEVER even close. I could remember the flavor in the back of my taste buds. Always missing, always longing. So I'm going to have to prepare for them to disappear a second time.

Facebook pages, at least two or three petitions, and a lot of people have tried to get Planters to bring these back. It's about fucking time. I've spent years telling my son why "every other cheese ball out there is a pack of garbage" and now I can finally prove it to him.

I can snack again.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:33 pm 

If they were so good, why did they stop selling them? Huh? Huh?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:50 pm 

Opus wrote:
If they were so good, why did they stop selling them? Huh? Huh?

I don't know. New World Order, gay frogs, lizard men in the government, UFOs, Sasquatch, Hillary, pick one.
BECAUSE IT MAKES NO LOGICAL SENSE WHY THEY STOPPED. THESE THINGS WERE PURE FUCKING MAGIC.

The only explanation that makes sense is the most absurd you can imagine. Yes, they were that fucking good. I will not be counting calories the day my first can arrives in the mail.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:10 pm 

Backlash against orange things.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:02 pm 

While Planters is reviving old snacks, they need to also bring back PB Crisps. Those things were the best fucking thing ever created by man.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:41 pm 

One of the weirdest things I've experienced was when I moved to Korea and knockoff brand cheez balls were like this massive snack trend. I went to Costco and waiting around the exit to the parking garage for like 20 minutes for my coworker to bring her car around, and every single cart load being hauled out of there contained one of those massive plastic barrels of the things and people going to town on them. I went to this super trendy cocktail bar that looked kind of like the milk bar from Clockwork Orange and there was a giant skull made of crystal and chrome on the wall and a DJ at the bar playing some sort of chill EDM, the place packed with clusters of gorgeous girls dressed to the nines and guys in nice tailored suits and stuff, and there was this like silver gravy boat brought out to our table just filled with knockoff cheez balls and I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:53 pm 

My copy of Root's Black Seal apparently shipped in the dead of night last night, which is very fitting for such a band and album. I wouldn't expect any less.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:55 pm 

That's always been my favorite album from them, too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:57 pm 

Yeah, I think The Book is their best one now, but Black Seal is real close. The first four or five songs are especially amazing and killer. They had such a feel for guitar tone and production and the music was immaculately written.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:09 pm 

The more I listen to The Book, the more I realize that I just flat out do not like Root at all. Once you get past the mystique it's just boring riffs and an old man sounding like a dork. It is a dark version of the Christopher Lee albums and you can't convince me otherwise.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:10 pm 

Well I can't say I'd agree with that even a little, the riffs are some of the best I've ever heard and a standard for what I like in metal.

I guess it's dorky, but only in the way that most great old school metal always was... I'd rather have that over some other kinds of dorky.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:11 pm 

I wouldn't try to convince anyone of anything, but Root fucking rules and their riffs are definitely not boring. Big Boss is a bit of a dork, I'll give you that. But he's still a badass motherfucker that don't take no shit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:17 pm 

Blackie's riffs are very distinctive, so I can see some people not liking his style. But I think they're fucking awesome. The band just wasn't the same after he left.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:18 pm 

The Temple in the Underworld is a fucking classic. Can't say I like any other Root albums though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:20 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Blackie's riffs are very distinctive, so I can see some people not liking his style. But I think they're fucking awesome. The band just wasn't the same after he left.

It's all in the grooves and the weird little twists and melodies in there. I don't care if he plays fast or slow or what - just love the style. Same reason I like Scalzi's playing in Slough Feg or Voivod's guitars. I like that kind of super ear-catching stuff.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:23 pm 

I'm with you on that. The main opening riff and the follow up riffs in Festival of Destruction is a great example of that. Recursive and seamless looping rhythms that still have an element of disjointed syncopation, but within a very obvious traditional metal realm. Not many bands of their era and genre were doing similar things.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

It's all in the grooves and the weird little twists and melodies in there. I don't care if he plays fast or slow or what - just love the style. Same reason I like Scalzi's playing in Slough Feg or Voivod's guitars. I like that kind of super ear-catching stuff.

What makes it for me is that his riffs were so elaborate and articulately played. His ear for guitar tone and ability to bring out the little small but important stylings makes listening to albums like The Book endlessly entertaining. The way he plays with the treble and bass response in Why? is so much fun to listen to. He makes it all sound dead easy, too.

He also had an ear for very evocative melodies. You know it's powerful when the music triggers a deep feeling of nostalgia the first time listening. Those chords and melodies in The Message of the Time, The Wall - just incredible. And although some of those more evil sounding parts went knee-deep in cheese, especially on Black Seal, songs like Salamandra are actually fucking haunting.

The pairing with Big Boss was also perfect for those albums. I guess not everyone likes fucking art.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:39 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I guess not everyone likes fucking art.

You done did it now. :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 332  Next