Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:33 am 

Quote:
Death metal legends Deicide have announced 12th studio album Overtures of Blasphemy. Produced by Jason Suecoff (The Black Dahlia Murder, Trivium), the album will be released on September 14 via Century Media.
“This album came together over time, meaning we didn’t want to rush it,” bassist/vocalist Glen Benton says.” A few people might remember an interview where Steve Asheim (original member, drummer/songwriter) said ‘the material is done, but it’s just not there yet.’ Well, that was the jumping off point of when this album truly started taking shape and the songs became what they are now… complete, compact and effective. As the band pushed forward, so did the writing process and a few other processes which made the record and the band stronger. The result is Overtures Of Blasphemy, perhaps the group’s strongest release to date.
“Jason Suecoff lended his considerable talents and attention to detail in making the tracking of the songs as great as they can be and the final mix as sonically brutal, yet as listenable as possible. An arduous process, but one well worth the time and effort.”
More news and first track will come in the next few weeks.

Cover art:
Spoiler: show

One of my all-time favorite bands, I was really pleased with their last album, "In the Minds of Evil" - a fantastic return to their old school sound, so I'm excited to hear this one if it's a continuation of that. Love the album title, and the cover is probably the best Deicide has ever had.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 am 

never really got into deicide much, despite being a big osdm fan, but damn that cover art is something :o

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm 

I didn't pay any attention to them after the horrible To Hell with God, but that album art makes me want to try them again. Hope I won't be disappointed.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:24 pm 

Yeah, I gotta agree, that's likely their best artwork to date. It'd be impressive for any band to have that, really. A few trifixions in there will certainly raise some expectations. Seems like they went through an astringent process of writing and scrapping and rewriting some more after all this time, not something they typically do.

Empy, I'd encourage you to check out the last one, "In the Minds of Evil." Besides being the closest point of comparison based on the lineups, it's also more in common with their earlier albums than from "Scars of the Crucifix" onwards.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:33 pm 

Deicide has been very uneven in quality these past years. Half of the albums released since 2004 were awesome while the other half were mediocre. Since I really like In The Minds Of Evil I hope that this is not one of their mediocre releases like Till Death Do Us Part and To Hell With God. Also that cover artwork is fucking boss!

Last edited by Oddeye on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I didn't pay any attention to them after the horrible To Hell with God, but that album art makes me want to try them again. Hope I won't be disappointed.

Yeah well, Deicide is easily one of my all-time favorite bands and even I hate To Hell With God, and to put things into perspective I actually like both Insineratehymn and In Torment In Hell :lol: - THWG is the worst album the band has ever released, bar none. I'd recommend giving their 2013 album a listen, it's a really nice back-to-basics, meat & potatoes album that brings back the energy & feel of classic Deicide from their first four albums.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:04 pm 

I'm definitely intrigued by the use of the word "compact" to describe this upcoming record.

I'd say Legion, Once Upon The Cross and Serpents Of The Light can all be described as "compact" and that's their best material (Scars Of The Crucifix is equally "compact", and while its a very good album, I'd hardly rank it among their best).

This could be good, In The Minds Of Evil was pretty solid. At worst, it could be decent nostalgia trip album.

Although recent footage suggests Deicide is old and tired as a live act, hopefully this doesn't impact the record.
Obliteration

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:25 pm 

Well, if there's one thing that makes my metal appetite go all flaccid, it's the sickening over-use of the phrase "the result is (...) perhaps the group’s strongest release to date".... That cheapo sentence must have been said a million times by just as many bands, and all too often simply unjustified.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:17 pm 

Been looking at the cover and noticing the crucified hand in the bible and still trying to figure out whats going on on the right side lol.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:32 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Been looking at the cover and noticing the crucified hand in the bible and still trying to figure out whats going on on the right side lol.

I think it’s a demonic manfestation collage writing sheet music with a quill?

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:45 pm 

It would be *such* a Deicide move to waste an album cover that good and release a steaming puddle of nutmilk.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:07 pm 

I'm excited to hear what Mark English's input on guitar does to their sound. His work on that Monstrosity album got me sweating the first time I heard it.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 pm 

I'm sorry, but I just can't unsee this anymore, but did anyone else also spot the two pidgeons in the Deicide logo? Or am i going insane? [Ozzy_off]

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:25 pm 

yeah that's an insane cover

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:42 pm 

Should definitely be an interesting listen. I can't say I'm a fan of Glen's vocal work over the last ten or so years. It's like he's yelling and not putting much effort into the actual enunciation of the words, hopefully he will tighten that up for this one. Everything else should be on point though, In The Minds of Evil was pretty damn good so I've got hopes for this.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:51 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just can't unsee this anymore, but did anyone else also spot the two pidgeons in the Deicide logo? Or am i going insane? [Ozzy_off]

Do you mean under it, right above the skull? I just saw the first album medallion on the bottom right. Why did they have to release this right after Monstrosity lol.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 pm 

Bottom side of the two E's in the logo.

and well yeah now that you say so, I indeed see references to the first four album covers; the medaillion face (Deicide) , the trifixion (Legion), the nailed hand (crucified Jesus from Once Upon The Cross), the bible/evil spell book (Serpents Of The Cross)

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:41 am 

Someone on another forum summed up that insane album art pretty well. It looks like the artist sent in like 4 or 5 sketches for various ideas and said "which one do you like best" and Benton was like, "yes."

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:41 am 

The cover is awesome, the album will be shit, just like every album since Serpents of the light.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:36 am 

The writing credits should be interesting. Wonder if Mark wrote anything. I bet the new Six Feet Under album will have what Jack would've written on this, which were probably shit.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:54 am 

I am very much looking forward to this, although I agree that in recent years half of the albums have been amazing while the other half are just shit.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Empy, I'd encourage you to check out the last one, "In the Minds of Evil." Besides being the closest point of comparison based on the lineups, it's also more in common with their earlier albums than from "Scars of the Crucifix" onwards.

Might have to. I remember thinking the title and track names sounded dumb so I figured it was like the previous one. But I've heard a lot of good things. I always liked Legion and Serpents, and Stench of Redemption was a real shredder.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:00 am 

In the Minds Of Evil was imo the best Deicide album since maybe Serpents/Once Upon The Cross imo, although some tend to claim that The Stench Of Redemption is the best one in a long while. To Hell With God was decent (don't know where the hate comes from for this album?? ). Til Death Do Us Part was the only album where they winged it because they needed to get out of that Earache contract.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:46 am 

Never got into Deicide nor osdm in general. I like some of their songs though, and I appreciated In the Minds of Evil. I'm looking forward to this album.
And yeah, that artwork is pretty sick.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:18 am 

Deicide is like eating a bag of potato chips, empty calories and you will not be full at all when you're done, but they tasted so damn good. We've been on this road together a long time and I always check out a Deicide album, for better or worse. Usually when a band takes that extra year or two the result is well worth it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:28 pm 

1. One With Satan (3:48)
2. Crawled From The Shadows (3:20)
3. Seal The Tomb Below (2:57)
4. Compliments Of Christ (2:44)
5. All That Is Evil (3:24)
6. Excommunicated (2:55)
7. Anointed In Blood (3:18)
8. Crucified Soul Of Salvation (3:00)
9. Defying The Sacred (3:30)
10. Consumed By Hatred (3:02)
11. Flesh, Power, Dominion (3:33)
12. Destined To Blasphemy (2:25)

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:44 pm 

Nice, but what Deicide really needs is to start playing songs from Legion live

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:05 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
1. One With Satan (3:48)
2. Crawled From The Shadows (3:20)
3. Seal The Tomb Below (2:57)
4. Compliments Of Christ (2:44)
5. All That Is Evil (3:24)
6. Excommunicated (2:55)
7. Anointed In Blood (3:18)
8. Crucified Soul Of Salvation (3:00)
9. Defying The Sacred (3:30)
10. Consumed By Hatred (3:02)
11. Flesh, Power, Dominion (3:33)
12. Destined To Blasphemy (2:25)

Nice! No song over 4 minutes, definitely a good sign that this will be a "classic"-style Deicide album. Cool (albeit typical) song titles too, except for track 4...come again? That's even dumber than "Mad At God"!

at the gaytes wrote:

They've always done Dead But Dreaming, and more recently have started doing Trifixion and occasionally Holy Deception as well...but I agree - would be awesome to hear those songs again, they also need to bring back Blasphereion!!!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 pm 

Actually, I was thinking most if not all of them looked like Dark Funeral songs.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:29 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:

Or write another Legion. Not impossible to do.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:43 am 

Kalimata wrote:
The cover is awesome, the album will be shit, just like every album since Serpents of the light.

this 100%. No idea why people care about their 00s onwards material.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:41 pm 

Turner wrote:
Kalimata wrote:

this 100%. No idea why people care about their 00s onwards material.

I urge every fan of classic Deicide to give a chance to Till Death Do Us Apart, below the apparece of generic modern OSDM, there is a very catchy mix of memorable riffs and brutality reminiscent of the first four albums.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:58 pm 

I'll check it out, but not expecting anything. The only post-Serpents albums I really like are Insineratehymn and In Torment, In Hell, lol. Chunky, goofy fun. I actually thought To Hell With God was semi-decent; In the Minds of Evil had a bunch of godawful lame riffs that ruined whole songs; and Til Death Do us Part was oddly overlong and monotonous... probably their worst overall.
Such a weird band. I love what they try to do, but the riffs are so rarely there to hold it together.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 pm 

One thing that I've always found painful with this band (among numerous other examples) is their complete lack of professional online presence. There are no sites and forums to discuss their music and band members. For one of the most successful and influential bands in metal, especially death metal, it's pretty weird.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 pm 

I think theyre more old school, being that when the album comes out, theyll do interviews. Most of the bands on facebook are simply posting tourdates/pics with fans. The most I've seen is Lord Ahriman posting pics of whatever program it is, as he was writing music.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:36 am 

I think the last two albums and the first two are the best that they have ever done. That said, I don't like the guitar tone on Legion. That album would sound a lot better if they tuned down half a step more and added a bit more 'meat' to the guitars, the guitars sound very flat to me. The last two albums I think were great. Sick riffs, good production and the lyrics/themes are typical satanic Deicide. I hope this new album will be even better though, they are very capable of writing great music, instead of shit like Insineratehym.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:07 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
I hope this new album will be even better though, they are very capable of writing great music, instead of shit like Insineratehym.

Insineratehymn was absolutely just contractual obligation. A bit sad that that's largely where the quality of this bands output stands.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:13 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
I think the last two albums and the first two are the best that they have ever done. That said, I don't like the guitar tone on Legion. That album would sound a lot better if they tuned down half a step more and added a bit more 'meat' to the guitars, the guitars sound very flat to me. The last two albums I think were great. Sick riffs, good production and the lyrics/themes are typical satanic Deicide. I hope this new album will be even better though, they are very capable of writing great music, instead of shit like Insineratehym.

Tuning down half a step really wouldn't have changed much about the record. Personally, I think Legion sounds great as it is and it wouldn't have been as good with a more conventional, thicker sound.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:32 pm 

true_death wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yeah well, Deicide is easily one of my all-time favorite bands and even I hate To Hell With God, and to put things into perspective I actually like both Insineratehymn and In Torment In Hell :lol: - THWG is the worst album the band has ever released, bar none. I'd recommend giving their 2013 album a listen, it's a really nice back-to-basics, meat & potatoes album that brings back the energy & feel of classic Deicide from their first four albums.

Heh, looks like we're one of the few that like those albums, though Till Death Do Us Part is there lowest to me. I just find that album to be boring. In Torment In Hell is one of my favorite covers of theres, but I'll never understand how they were able to use that when the original cover was banned, but it's not much different.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:00 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
In Torment In Hell is one of my favorite covers of theres, but I'll never understand how they were able to use that when the original cover was banned, but it's not much different.

I've never seen the original art (didn't even know it existed), but it could be some half-assed attempt to drum up "controversy" in a desperate attempt to sell the album. I think Glen even said that most/all of the controversy linked to the band during the Roadrunner was just "record label hype". And yeah, I agree with Till Death being pretty boring, but it was at least a pretty intense & brutal album, which is ultimately my problem with To Hell With God and why I put that at the bottom. No intensity at all, not from the riffs or the production...it doesn't have that unique "punch" that makes Deicide's music memorable & just sounds like a generic death metal band.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next