Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:50 pm 

I often wonder about certain bands that I know are still active but have not released nothing new in years. Bands like Turisas and Finntroll for example. Maybe there are issues with their labels or issues within the band? But I think it’s ironic to stay active as a band and tour and play fests but without anything new to promote. Any thoughts on the subject?

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm 

Maybe there is no creative mojo to work on new material, but they nonetheless enjoy each other's company and the camaraderie of playing live together?
Obliteration

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:43 pm 

For some bands it would've been better to do that instead of releasing stuff...

Anyway I'm waiting for albums of at least 6 bands for almost a over 5 years now and while their last albums are still great without any flaws, I can live with it while still craving for more.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:58 pm 

Timeless Miracle are going on 13 years without the new album. Which they say they're working on. And I refuse to die without it.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:14 pm 

Tool anyone? It's more the fact that they promise new music every year, continuously tour the same 4 albums and the same exact setlist and also charge $100 for tickets.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:23 pm 

Still waiting on those Kranium, Wotan, and Jacula albums that all have been promised since 2013/2014. :/

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:10 pm 

I know they aren't on the Archives but I wish Blue Oyster Cult would go back in the studio again. I guess they could only lose money doing that, though. But they seem happy playing puppet show supports all over the USA, and nothing much else...

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm 

Agreed about BOC. I'd really like to hear more from them.

I can't believe we finally got a new Watchtower EP.

I think Coroner have been writing although they've been playing shows for the last few years so maybe a new album next year?

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:24 pm 

Musta Surma fucking full-length. Been waiting that ever since I heard their demo. It's like 'Chinese Democracy' of black metal. Maybe they just got fed with that kind of music, who knows. Not a touring band eather.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:28 pm 

Both Atheist and Cephalic Carnage haven't released new albums since 2010. I think Atheist have been in the studio since 2013. I live in hope.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 pm 

Morgana Lefay - 11 years and counting.

On the other hand, Nocturnal Rites took 10 years to release their latest album, and that did not bring me any happiness.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 pm 

It doesn't affect me because I only recently developed a tolerance for the guy's voice and I'm content owning just Abigail and "Them," but King Diamond's last full length was in 2007. They never went on any official hiatus did they? I was under the impression they still played live, and there might have been something on Blabbermouth.net a couple months ago about a new album.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 pm 

It's officially been over 5 years since the last Hypocrisy release, but this topic has been discussed at length in other threads.

Naglfar is another that comes to mind. They haven't released a new record since 2012. Although, I haven't really liked much of what they've done after Diabolical.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:14 am 

Trigger the Bloodshed. 8 years since the brutal Degenerate. Surely they could replace Wilding if he's too busy touring with Carcass.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:19 am 

Conan Troutman wrote:
Both Atheist and Cephalic Carnage haven't released new albums since 2010. I think Atheist have been in the studio since 2013. I live in hope.

Atheist have confirmed an album this year. Cephalic Carnage, who the hell knows. They still tour but there's been nothing on a new album to my knowledge.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 am 

Weirdly I was just thinking about this before seeing this thread. I was looking at King Diamond's page and noticed the band is listed as still active. They released a live single in 2017, a compilation in 2014, and a boxed set in 2012, but the last new album was in 2007. I saw King Diamond in concert just two years ago.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 am 

Anata. Good fucking god, Anata. They've had a *new* unreleased album recorded for what... 4-5 years?

Rodrigo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:13 am 

DRI. They released an EP... But last time with a full length was around... 1995?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:00 am 

Vital Remains- supposedly releasing a new album this year...
Monstrosity- the new album is finally out in September.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:54 am 

The mighty Savatage comes to mind. I'm not sure if this band can be truly called active anymore since the guys are involved with their other projects like Jon Oliva's Pain, TSO, Circle II Circle, ... Maybe it's just one of those bands still existing with minimal activity. Their last album is Poets and Madmen (2001). Definitely like to hear something new!

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:02 am 

conquer__all wrote:
I often wonder about certain bands that I know are still active but have not released nothing new in years. Bands like Turisas and Finntroll for example. Maybe there are issues with their labels or issues within the band? But I think it’s ironic to stay active as a band and tour and play fests but without anything new to promote. Any thoughts on the subject?

As far as Finntroll is concerned, I think the primary reason they have such large gaps between albums is because Henri Sorvali writes pretty much all the music (as well as mixing, producing, etc., if I'm not mistaken), and he alternates writing Finntroll and Moonsorrow albums. Plus, he's a composer for Rovio and has a family, so I'm sure that's pretty time consuming. That said, I'm more than happy to wait because I think Finntroll has really become a superb band over the last two albums (and Moonsorrow is my favorite of all time).

I think one of the dudes from Turisas works for Rovio too, but I could be confusing him with someone else. I've never really listened to them.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 am 

It will soon be 10 years since Heavenly last released an album.

Ben Sotto puts out a video of him jamming over the Back to the Future theme (or whatever) from time to time, but it doesn't seem like a new album's coming any time soon.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:47 am 

5 years isn't necessarily that much. Bands with huge tours and massive album productions tend to take that long, even if they're working actively in their tour/write/record cycle. Blind Guardian has been releasing new albums quite steadily, even if the cycle has been quite long. Nobody can claim that they haven't been a very active band in the last two decades, despite having released only 4 full-length albums since Nightfall.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:52 am 

I wish more bands took their time with their creative output instead of crapping out whatever they can throw at the wall every xx months in order not to drop off the radar of what has generally become a progressively more ADHD-riddled audience.
A few years between records used to be the norm; bands like the Beatles or Creedence Clearwater Revival, who put out so many albums (and non-album tracks) in a short time with little to no drop in quality, gained their legendary reputation for a reason. Nowadays if a band fails to post any update on social media for a rfew months, people start questioning their status. I have to applaud Funeral Mist for their modus operandi: focus on the music, and the music alone.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 am 

- Deicide - last outing was in 2013, they usually don't give any kind on info on what they are up to next, but I assume they are cooking something with guitar duo of Quirion/English
- Benediction - last album was in 2008... they occasionally still perform live, but the busiest bee seems the vocalist who seems pretty active with Anaal Nathrakh the last couple of years. Also the Benediction bassist is doing the Memoriam project at the moment. So I guess maybe the problem lays in the guitar team department? Maybe they're a bit busy on a personal level... ? They've been saying for years a new album is in the works. 'Benediction is a slow moving beast' s what they posted once...
- Unanimated - 8 years since the last album and they suddenly popped out of nothing to announce a new album is coming... We'll see what that gives..
- Monstrosity - they just posted a new teaser wtf.... Did not expect that! Been ages since an album... And what they teased sounded tasty I must say !
- Necrophagi- oh nvm :p
- Cephalic Carnage - just finished a tour here in europe, which was unexpected.. last album dates from 2010 or so... No idea if something new is coming...
- The Red Chord - great band, last album came out in 2009, MA page they are still active (since 2014)... No idea if we'll ever see something again from them.. Hope so though...
- Nocturnus AD - Seems browning has been cooking something because they signed to Profound Lore... Curious...

Last edited by Machine_Dead on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 am 

Morbid Saint comes to mind. They're always touring, but no new album since since 1992. Destruction System is listed on the archives as releasing in 2015, but that was just a re-issue.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:32 am 

Also the Vital Remains frontman seems to be hinting that they are in a studio at the moment? So maybe finally a studio album again from VR? Last album was Icons Of Evil from 2007 (!) and that one still had Benton on vocals at the time, there's been a serious line-up change since then...

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:39 am 

jimbies wrote:
It's officially been over 5 years since the last Hypocrisy release, but this topic has been discussed at length in other threads.

Naglfar is another that comes to mind. They haven't released a new record since 2012. Although, I haven't really liked much of what they've done after Diabolical.

These 100%, I wonder if Peter is just done playing/writing death metal? I know he is really absorbed into Pain at the moment and obviously his studio, i would love another Hypocrisy album though. I was shattered the Australian tour went to shit a few years back. And Naglfar is killer, I recently picked up Vittra on CD, had only ever heard Diabolical forward for some reason.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 pm 

Morbid Saint’s been writing and I know they’ve been playing at least one new song live. Couldn’t say if or when there’s a timetable for a new album, but I’d expect it to sound very different and modern considering there’s only one original member and most of the rest are considerably younger. Although I don’t want to be too presumptuous about that, either.

Regarding Vital Remains, that post was just about a rehearsal but it indicates they’ve found a drummer for the time being.

The new Deicide album is done and I’ve even seen a potential title for it, but it seems very unlike them with nothing to confirm or corroborate it. Still, that’s as strong of a guitar duo as they’ve ever had right now.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:02 pm 

The Red Tower wrote:
The mighty Savatage comes to mind. I'm not sure if this band can be truly called active anymore since the guys are involved with their other projects like Jon Oliva's Pain, TSO, Circle II Circle, ... Maybe it's just one of those bands still existing with minimal activity. Their last album is Poets and Madmen (2001). Definitely like to hear something new!

I could have sworn there was an interview with Jon Olivia a long while ago where he said Savatage wasn't going to make any more albums after Madmen. He said he felt that Savatage wasn't really Savatage after his brother died.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:03 pm 

Tool has been posting recording updates on their FB page. They're in no hurry, but apparently there's something going on there.

There's always hope for everyone. Both Cor Scorpii and Centaurus-A recently released new albums, after 10 and 9 years respectively.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:17 pm 

Monstrosity. 11 years.

EDIT: HaHa! Just saw the thread! https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 1&t=121422

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:22 pm 

I want new stuff from Cochet's projects already.

Unholy Matrimony? 2009.
Mirrorthrone? 2008.

Accurst Journey and Deafening Lonliness haven't done anything and have existed since at least 2007. Weeping Birth let an album go in 2015 but that's the last sign of life from any of his stuff

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:26 pm 

halfformedfetus wrote:
jimbies wrote:

These 100%, I wonder if Peter is just done playing/writing death metal? I know he is really absorbed into Pain at the moment and obviously his studio, i would love another Hypocrisy album though. I was shattered the Australian tour went to shit a few years back. And Naglfar is killer, I recently picked up Vittra on CD, had only ever heard Diabolical forward for some reason.

Vittra is killer. Not much a fan of their stuff after that but I do need to devote more time to it.

As for Hypocrisy, for the past 10 years Pete's been very focused on Pain and producing albums rather than what Hypocrisy does for him. Also Lindemann, let's not forget that the project occupies his time as well since he and Till write and record together. Understandable. However, you might have missed this:

http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming- ... his-summer

Quote:
"We have four more [Pain] gigs after the Australian tour, we have festivals. During the summertime, I'm going to try to complete the Hypocrisy album. We got some songs, but we need more. I need to get Michael more involved again. He hasn't been writing for nine years, but he's going to be back."

Most surprising was that Peter not only has a son, but that the son drums for him! That's some Cavalera shit there.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:27 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Morbid Saint’s been writing and I know they’ve been playing at least one new song live. Couldn’t say if or when there’s a timetable for a new album, but I’d expect it to sound very different and modern considering there’s only one original member and most of the rest are considerably younger. Although I don’t want to be too presumptuous about that, either.

Morbid Saint actually did a few new songs on that compilation, some of which they play live. Regardless, there's no Pat Lind on vocals, so I can't really say I'm too interested in a new Morbid Saint album.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:45 pm 

Quote:
"We have four more [Pain] gigs after the Australian tour, we have festivals. During the summertime, I'm going to try to complete the Hypocrisy album. We got some songs, but we need more. I need to get Michael more involved again. He hasn't been writing for nine years, but he's going to be back."

Cheers OzzyApu, man i completely missed this! That is awesome, interesting to see Hedlund has not been involved in the writing process in 9 years, although to be honest i am not even sure what he added to Hypocrisy, just in a musical sense of course. Unless he used to write some of the songs and i didn't realize it, It kills me he brought Pain over (to OZ) but not Hypocrisy. But hopefully the tour went well and it inspires him to maybe bring Hypocrisy in the future.

I can only imagine what it would be like to have Peter as your father, he lives and breathes music. And having access to Abyss studios to practice/record is a godsend to any young and ambitious musician.

Also to add to the thread, after pondering on the topic, Deeds Of Flesh have not done anything in 5 years. Although I wasn't very keen on the new direction of the band, hoping they make another album more in the vain of the older more brutal stuff.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:01 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
Also the Vital Remains frontman seems to be hinting that they are in a studio at the moment? So maybe finally a studio album again from VR? Last album was Icons Of Evil from 2007 (!) and that one still had Benton on vocals at the time, there's been a serious line-up change since then...

They've promised a new album every year since 2009 :lol:. I'm a huge fan of the band, all their stuff is really solid (even "Icons of Evil" as it's moments) but I'll believe it when I see it...plus, I really don't care about hearing a new VR with the current singer. They already had a cringy edgelord frontman back in 2000 with Thorn, but at least he was a decent vocalist. Brian Werner on the other hand, just seems kind of pathetic to me - the living epitome of the phrase "trying too hard" and has no vocal skills to back it up. Part of me hopes they'll ditch him before they go back in the studio, if that ever actually happens.

ModusOperandi wrote:
The new Deicide album is done and I’ve even seen a potential title for it, but it seems very unlike them with nothing to confirm or corroborate it. Still, that’s as strong of a guitar duo as they’ve ever had right now.

I'm curious, what's the title and where did you hear it? I've been wondering what happened to Deicide...they've never taken this long to release a new album, and it's been a year or two since any information has been released (I remember some hilarious, super candid quote from Steve where he said something like "I'm not all that psyched about these new songs" :lol: at least he's honest).

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 pm 

As far as Deicide goes, all I've seen lately is Kevin saying he was listening to it while cutting the grass. He said everything was in the labels hands now.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:20 pm 

true_death wrote:

They've promised a new album every year since 2009 :lol:. I'm a huge fan of the band, all their stuff is really solid (even "Icons of Evil" as it's moments) but I'll believe it when I see it...plus, I really don't care about hearing a new VR with the current singer. They already had a cringy edgelord frontman back in 2000 with Thorn, but at least he was a decent vocalist. Brian Werner on the other hand, just seems kind of pathetic to me - the living epitome of the phrase "trying too hard" and has no vocal skills to back it up. Part of me hopes they'll ditch him before they go back in the studio, if that ever actually happens.

I saw VR with Werner as the frontman. Vocal-wise he did an okay job. So if VR keeps him or not... I do not care really. However... I don't like him as a person. He's an attention seeker who thinks he's cooler and more interesting than everyone else, because he's edgy and provocative. Also he's an ultra right wing gun nut that thinks of Trump as the saviour of the USA uhu. Luckily the dude did not wank out any crap when he was doing the VR gig. So I guess he knows when to not open his mouth.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:50 pm 

"fuck" - brian werner

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next