Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:57 pm 

Somebody made a "worst of" video of a few different shows:

My personal favorite has got to be the ending, Ken Sorceron looks so embarrassed :lol:.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:33 pm 

While that main video was probably the worst of it, those are some pretty awful performances as well.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:43 pm 

aaand now Keene is in the hospital and his hired guns are performing without him. what a never-ending shit show. hope he finally gets clean.

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... last-night

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm 

Dude needs rehab bad, can't just quit shooting heroin anytime and go on the road.

Edit: I wonder what will happen if he makes it to Vancouver, heroin cityyy.

Last.fm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:21 pm 

So the question is how did they perform without him?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:56 pm 

Won't lie, I do genuinely feel bad for the dude, I hope he gets help at some point in the very near future and can remain sober.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 am 

Now it's getting real ugly. I agree, as much as a toxic asshole he seems to be this makes me sad. I hope this traumatic event can be the start of a recovery process; by this point anyone can see that he's speeding down the hill with no brakes.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:43 am 

Hope he gets better.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm 

He's the Wes Scantlin of tech death. I really hope no more musicians buy his shtick and perform with him, but he still has his family and label as enablers, huh.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:54 pm 

Addicts do fucked up shit. I hope he gets the help he needs. He's clearly a talented dude, shame to see it go to waste.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:33 am 

Kicking drugs is only half the battle. He also has to stop being a douchebag and I really don't see that happening any time soon.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:29 pm 

You're absolutely right.

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:08 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Kicking drugs is only half the battle. He also has to stop being a douchebag and I really don't see that happening any time soon.

Sad but true. He needs to lose all the enablers like his parents, Sumerian, whoever else isn't setting him straight and I don't see that happening either.

It's just sad he ruined what could've been an important band had they kept a solid line up and been more consistent with releases and touring following Planetary Duality.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:34 am 

They could have been Cannibal/TBDM/Behemoth big if he hadn't thrown it all away by burning bridges and pissing off a bunch of important people. The amount of momentum they had around PD was insane, and it all went to waste.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 pm 

The Faceless could NEVER EVER have gotten as big as CC. Not in this reality or any other.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:05 pm 

I think he meant that they were on their way to becoming that big had Keene not fucked it all up. The first time I saw them was right after Planetary Duality came out, and they were on a coheadlining tour with Dying Fetus. The next time I saw them, they were on a coheadlining tour with Suffocation. So yeah, they were on their way to becoming a pretty big name in the death metal scene, but now they're lucky if they could even find a mediocre deathcore band to tour with.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:12 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
I think he meant that they were on their way to becoming that big had Keene not fucked it all up. The first time I saw them was right after Planetary Duality came out, and they were on a coheadlining tour with Dying Fetus. The next time I saw them, they were on a coheadlining tour with Suffocation. So yeah, they were on their way to becoming a pretty big name in the death metal scene, but now they're lucky if they could even find a mediocre deathcore band to tour with.

That's still not even close to being as big as CC. Suffocation has unfortunately fallen pretty par since 1995.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:21 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
The Faceless could NEVER EVER have gotten as big as CC. Not in this reality or any other.

No, had they maintained their momentum from around 2011-2012, they probably could've. The Faceless had a rabid, cult-like following back then with Keene viewed as the deathcore equivalent of Chuck Schuldiner or something...like I said on the first page, I saw the band live in 2012 and can attest to this, the place was packed and the crowd was absolutely enthralled with the guy, screaming his name and calling him 'god' :lol: - it was cringeworthy as fuck, while about 3/4ths of the audience left before CC were set to begin. If you look at hard first week album sales, they weren't far behind, the album they released that year sold about 7,600 copies, against Torture which sold 9,600.

Obviously name recognition is a factor too, but I think that a band like The Faceless might have had a bit of an advantage over CC just due to the less "controversial" nature of their image & lyrics, and penchant for writing "intelligent" lyrics as opposed to more traditional metal topics which would give them more opportunities to branch outside of the death metal scene. If Keene hadn't fucked up, by now you'd likely see them on co-headlining tours with bands like Meshuggah or Opeth, or maybe even as direct support for a band like Dream Theater.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:18 am 

^ I can see that. It's easy to forget that deathcore and "scene" music of today is inexplicably hugely popular, and quite at odds with how superficially heavy it sounds, to compare to straight pop music. Popular in a way that even the most successful of legacy DM acts like CC struggle to maintain. Absolutely The Faceless could have been as "big", or bigger.

At my workplace, with multiple parking lots of hundreds of spaces, hearing deathcore and brutal kinds of scene music blasting from car stereos is very nearly as common as hearing your usual shitty robo-voice pop-hop and rap kinda stuff. The only stereo around there i've heard blasting real death metal (or 'real' ANY metal, at that) is mine.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:40 am 

tech death has a much lower ceiling than other subgenres. there never has been and never will be a tech death band that reaches the top-tier of underground metal, like CC/TBDM/Behemoth have. remember the hype around Fallujah a few years back? how long did that last? sure, tech death fans are rabid, but they are fleeting and constantly moving on to the next popular thing. Obscura and Gorguts are arguably the biggest bands of the style in the world, and there is just no going higher than that level for tech death.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:58 pm 

Faceless might not have made it as a tech death band, but I could see them having tried to take a more mainstream sound while keeping some of the their sounds had Keene not, you know, went off the rails. Something like what Gojira did as they became more popular.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:17 pm 

The Faceless had (and still kinda does have on a MUCH smaller scale) major crossover appeal. Tech kids like them, deathcore kids like them, prog kids like them, djent kids like them, and hell, a decent amount of death metal dudes like Planetary Duality. When Planetary Duality came out, it fell into the same category as Nocturnal or Genesis: a legit death metal album that was also accessible to people who were still into core, and it got a ton of people into heavier music. That, more than anything else, was what gave them the potential to be an absolutely gigantic act: they had massive reach that was well beyond the confines of tech that they weren't really in danger of losing.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:01 pm 

I just don't see how they could ever be as popular as one of the "Big 4" of death metal, one that sold tons of albums back when there was still a healthy music industry.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:13 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
there never has been and never will be a tech death band that reaches the top-tier of underground metal, like CC/TBDM/Behemoth have.

I dunno...I'd wager that Death were certainly a top-tier band, to put it lightly :lol:...

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:15 am 

The problem is, the success of Planetary Duality with the scene kids was directly tied to the time it came out. He looked like a god to them because he played quasi-deathcore tech death that compared to the stuff they listened to, sounded like Mozart next to a child. Remember they were also beyond obsessed with Suicide Silence and Whitechapel as well and we can see the state of that on 2018.

As much shit as people give Cannibal for being 'boring', they really are in their own league. Show me one other band that has had constant enduring success for almost 30 years, never once compromising the music and going soft, releasing 14 albums and never going more than 3 years between, while also for the last 12 years since Kill releasing what many fans to see as their best material.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:47 am 

Look at TBDM and Behemoth. Deathcore kids loved both of them as well (particularly TBDM) and absolutely helped elevate their careers. Both are still going very strong and, unless they break up, will still be going strong ten years from now. The Faceless had a huge deathcore following, but a lot of more conventional death metal people genuinely did like at least PD. Suicide Silence went in an increasingly polarizing direction that turned off a lot of their old fans and eventually committed career suicide, and Whitechapel also released a string of polarizing albums. They simply got too big too fast and then made some career-limiting moves, while The Faceless was on the up, but hadn't gotten ridiculously big over the course of a year like they had, and unless The Faceless had gone full "tee-hee", they probably wouldn't have released a career-destroying album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3