Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm 

Well, it seems Varg Vikernes has laid the Burzum name to rest. He did it rather unceremoniously at the end of a video on his YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDg_ra4IjFY

As one of the biggest black metal bands, at least in the Norwegian scene, I think it's approriate to have a discussion about the discography of the band.
It is not my wish that we end up just repeating the man's life, his crimes, his statements and opinions. It's frankly boring to me at this point. However, as a one-man band it is diffcult to separate the man from the music, so if it is relevant then by all means don't hold back.

From January 1992 to March 1993 he recorded four albums and one EP that are absolutely genre defining. While taking obvious inspiration from Bathory, early Celtic Frost and fellow countrymen Mayhem, the music is surprisingly forward-thinking.

How many atmospheric black metal bands have not taken cues from the Filosofem album?
How many black metal bands have tons of ambient music in their music, or in side project?
Fenriz named Burzum as one of the chief inspirations for Transilvanian Hunger and the fast tracks on Panzerfaust.
etc etc

The "prison albums" have very mixed reviews, but I think they are solid as dungeon synth pieces. They are by no means the top the genre. After prison I think Belus is the absolute best, with Glemselens elv being a classic on the level of Det som en gang var.
After a couple of (sad to say) boring folky ambient albums, Varg seems to be content to just make songs to be background music for his videos. Which is fine, but it's very different from composing a full album.

I could go on, but I'm interested in the general view of Burzum from people, now that the project is formally ended.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:11 pm 

I don't listen to Burzum that often, I've always been a Darkthrone-guy when it comes to early 90s BM, but one has to credit him for his huge influence on Raw BM, Atmospheric BM, Dungeon Synth and related things (and NSBM apparantly).

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:35 pm 

He just wanted to show us that metal/modern genre of music are inferior, and classical, folk music (wood, nature) are more superior. I don't know why, but he really ascended to nature, paganism and even changed his point of view about music. Well, that just my opinion.

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:46 pm 

His latter albums got shit on harder than they should have. Belus, Fallen, and Umskiptar were rather good. The last two ambient releases were also solid- though I like Dark Ambient/Neofolk type stuff so there is the bias there. Wish the dude would drop the politics and just kept making music- regardless of the genre he did have a knack for coming up with unique melodies.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:09 pm 

Fallen is amazing. It's the last great thing he ever made though, and that came out all the way back in 2011. Whatever I heard from his later ambient stuff was lethally boring. Burzum has been a non-entity for years now so meh, no real feelings about this.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:16 pm 

I listened to Belus the most out of his post-prison albums and pretty much never listened to it again after a few weeks of its release. It had I think 3 pretty decent songs: Glemselens elv, Kaimadalthas' nedstigning, and Keliohesten. In fact I just read Autothrall's review of Belus and I couldn't agree more with every thing he wrote including the rating of 67%. Belus is not a great record, nor even a good one, because in over 50 minutes of content, there are about 15-20 that are mesmerizing enough to listen through repeatedly, and no singular track is ultimately that convincing when compared to his past material. Totally this.

I never could accept his clean/spoken vocals, I don't know why, but they just put me off even if they were on top of the most badass riff ever. I remember thinking when Belus came out that I hope he doesn't lean more into this direction which is exactly what he did. Apparently people seem to really love Fallen I barely touched this album because of the heavy use of clean/speaking vocals, but I actually have it on right now to see if the past almost decade has changed my mind... Still hate the vocals, but it's definitely better than I remember, maybe I can live with it. I remember Budstikken being my favorite song by quite a bit. I thought Umskiptar was completely terrible and couldn't make it through 1 full song, after that I stopped paying attention. I think Burzum was dead once he stopped making metal even though I like the instrumental dungeon synth stuff better than the style on Umskiptar. If I really want to hear dungeon synth I can make it myself or listen to any random band and it will be pretty much the same outcome.

Jesu død will probably forever be one of my favorite songs of all time, I may listen to it like once every 2 years, but it doesn't matter, and most of the time I skip the rest of the album although song 1-3 are all great. I always found Hvis lyset tar oss to be overrated (blasphemy I know) aside from the title track of the previous album. At the end of the day I would probably choose Burzum/Aske for best complete album(ep). I never followed or cared too much about the life of Varg/CountGZ or whatever his name is, but I'm sure we will see and hear more from him. RIP Burzum.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:38 pm 

"Fallen," "Belus" and "Filosofem" were the ones that did it for me- those were his best works in my opinion (although some of the earlier stuff was decent.) But yeah, he doesn't seem interested in really continuing with the project, and if he were to try and force it and keep trying to make Burzum albums for the sake of it, then all that would happen is it would sound forced. The legacy of those albums will live on, and I don't begrudge him for wanting to give it a rest.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:50 pm 

Maybe one of the most overrated bands of its generation. Det Som Engang Var and Filosofem are worth a listen, but everything else is varying degrees of bad or forgettable. Burzum would have been largely forgotten if Varg wasn't such a nutty murderous dipshit

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:54 pm 

I've had fallen sitting in my amazon wishlist for at least 4 years and I still haven't bought it.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:21 pm 

I hope he keeps his words and never resurrect his project except for something really relevant that would transcend his other works. Over ten years ago, I was really influenced by his music. I haven't been listening to it for a long time. I know the feeling of being fed up with music, especially metal music since I ended my metal (and dark ambiant/neo clasical) project. if the heart is not there anymore, why continue it.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:26 pm 

I listened to a lot of Burzum about 9-10 years ago while I was studying full-time and writing assignments a lot.
His music's repetitiveness and simplicity really works well as background music while you're concentrating on something else.
I lost interest around 2012 or so when his nonsense bled too far into the music and he switched to youtube edgelording.
I haven't really listened to any Burzum in a while now though, might change that today at work.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 pm 

Love all Burzum albums some of the best music ever created, period.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:47 pm 

Draehl wrote:
His latter albums got shit on harder than they should have. Belus, Fallen, and Umskiptar were rather good..

Belus was the best album he ever did in my opinion.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm 

I really like later Burzum. I have no idea why the later era isn't liked that much. Early Burzum (not including Filosofem) definitely influenced DSBM due to the vocals apparently.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:05 pm 

belus was more or less the last thing he did that i cared for, and i honestly don't think i've heard it since 2010. 90s muzrub is pretty much as immaculate as it gets, though, including the ambient duo.

r.i.p. to a legend that should've been r.i.p.'d long ago

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 am 

tahu157 wrote:
I've had fallen sitting in my amazon wishlist for at least 4 years and I still haven't bought it.

That's a shame because it is, by far, the better of the post prison albums.

Like your reviews?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 am 

This isn't the first time he's "ended" the project, nor is it the first time there has been a long period of non-productivity with the music. I wouldn't write the project off just quite yet.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:51 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
This isn't the first time he's "ended" the project, nor is it the first time there has been a long period of non-productivity with the music. I wouldn't write the project off just quite yet.

True, but given his current freedom to make music unhindered by prison environment and his total uninterest to do that for several years, this is probably quite definite. The project has felt de facto dead for a long time, now it's de jure.

For me, with two distinct eras, Burzum has two endings:
-Hliðskjálf's closing track Der weinende Hadnur which for a while seemed to complete Burzum's circle as an ambient reworking of The Crying Orc, one of Varg's earliest compositions.
-Umskiptar's last proper track Gullaldr which feels like a swansong for the post-prison trio of metal albums. It's a great example of Varg's ability to take minimal, repetetive elements and arrange them into a cohesive track with a definite, satisfying arc. The way the last spoken verse ends, leaving the sparse guitar and bass accompaniment play alone until the final hummed refrain simply skips the harsh vocal part until justifiedly fading out, is brilliant and beautiful.

The last two ambient albums are quite uninspired and forgettable. Apart from them and the horrible Daudi Baldrs, Burzum is simply some of the best music ever made. Thanks for that, Varg. May you find peace in the countryside (as long as it doesn't necessitate a genocide or two).

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:01 am 

He gave us some immortal music. Not going to lie; Burzum is my favorite band from the Norwegian scene. The first four plus the last prison album plus the two comeback albums after that, totally great! I recall my "adventure" with Burzum starting with 'Spell of Destruction', totally made an impact to a shithead teenager at the time! It's still music for special occasions to me, listening it every Yule for example.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:31 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
He gave us some Immortal music.

I see what you did there.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:15 am 

Hah. Never heard Old Funeral. Close to Immortal or something?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:18 am 

raumr wrote:
Well, it seems Varg Vikernes has laid the Burzum name to rest. He did it rather unceremoniously at the end of a video on his YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDg_ra4IjFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDg_ra4IjFY&t=1m28s
P.S: What's up with the botton line and Nathan's signed copy?

Malefikant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:20 am 

As I said elsewhere already: Finally, about time! Those last "ambient" albums showed that he doesn't give the slightest fuck anymore, such half-assed bullshit elevator music. Fallen & Umskiptar sucked as well, total softcore version of Burzum. Can't stand the 90s prison albums as well - and I am pretty sure nobody else would either if it wasn't for the Burzum logo on it.

Belus was pretty good, and of course the pre-prison albums don't need to be discussed and praised more than they already are.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:25 am 

Some of his little quips and comments in his youtube videos are pretty fucking funny, the dude has a sense of humor. I'd like to see at least more dark ambient from him in the vein of his prison albums, but what can you do. I'm pretty happy now just watching some of the videos he puts up and listening to the occasional rant. It's all good.

BurnTheWitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 am 

VaderCrush wrote:
Maybe one of the most overrated bands of its generation. Det Som Engang Var and Filosofem are worth a listen, but everything else is varying degrees of bad or forgettable.

Someone forgot about Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

Varg has penned some of the most magical riffs and tunes ever. Discovering Burzum at age 13 was one of the transformative moments of my life. I spin all of the albums pretty much regularly, yes, even Duabi Baldrs. Thanks for the jams, Varg, you fucking nut.

Malefikant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:13 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Hah. Never heard Old Funeral. Close to Immortal or something?

Not really, unless you take Amputation or the first DM-demo from Immortal into consideration. I wouldn't bother with the DM recordings of this band, it's a poor man's Carcass in my opinion.

But shortly before they split-up they recorded some INCREDIBLY atmospheric BM, ironically without any contribution from Varg or the Doom Occultas. "Alone Walking" is one of the great hits of early Norwegian BM - and better than the later versions from Hades (Almighty), in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg6Fv1IB3_Y

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 am 

Never heard this. Nice leads and all, based on the shitty YouTube.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 am 

Can't say I'm shocked by this; you could see something like this coming for a while now. His priorities are definitely elsewhere nowadays, so this feels reasonably right.

I'm grateful we got the first four recordings, and Belus and Fallen were pretty damn good as well. I pretty much gave up after Umskiptar; try as I might, that album just refused to click with me, and the little I've heard of the ambientish stuff that followed tells me I haven't been missing out much since.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:44 am 

I pretty much stick to the four classics and the first two post-prison albums as far as Burzum goes. Can't say I'm too surprised since he abandoned metal years ago and didn't seem all that enthused about music in general.

I also have to give him props for jumping on YouTube and being as active as he is on it. As much as content like his is why my partner has to say she's not a white supremacist every time she says she's a Norse pagan, he knows how to engage an audience that way and keep people watching him. If only bands that weren't such shitty people could be that tech savvy...

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:03 am 

Love all Burzum albums, except for the last two, which I found terrible. And though his prison albums are criticized a lot, to me they're great Dungeon Synth albums.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:14 am 

The last two songs on Daudi and most of Hlids (I still can't spell their names correctly after some 20 years) are real highlights. Also the fourth song of the former gave me the biggest laughs when listening to an album. That's worth something too...

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 am 

I've known for a while that I'm in the minority of people who enjoy his post-jail output more than anything. I love Filosofem, but I would have to say my favorites are Belus, Umpskiptar, and The Ways of Yore. I know I'm in the minority of people who actually enjoyed that last one, because I've seen a number of people criticize it in this thread alone while not calling it by name. To me, it is perfect meditation music. It starts with three upbeat, folky songs and moves through tantalizing ambient songs that are just so entrancing. I enjoy Umpskiptar for a similar reason, even though it is a quite different approach. I actually like the spoken word parts over the atmospheric riffs and light percussion - feels like he's casting a spell on the listener. Belus was just such a great comeback, some may call it blasphemy but I think this album features some of his best riffs of the black metal material. Filosofem is great because it's the best of both worlds: you have primitive/atmospheric black metal mixed with the ambient songs that would become more prominent on future albums; this album will always remain a classic.

As for the end of the project, I think it's a good thing if that's what he wants. He has left us with no shortage of amazing music, and I will always cherish his albums, especially the ones I mentioned. Since I did enjoy The Ways of Yore so much, I would actually like to hear more from him, but if he would rather focus on other things like his YT channel, that's understandable. It's better to end it than to force it if he sees it as complete, and would rather focus his energy elsewhere.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:37 pm 

I was hoping he'd release at least one more album, not caring whether it would be ambient or black metal, but oh well. The years went on and on and I can't say I'm surprised all that much.

I like both his pre- and post-prison albums, including Umskiptar, which doesn't have much fans over here from what I can gather. I especially love Hliðskjálf and Belus, I believe that those two are my favourites. Oh yeah, and Filosofem too.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:43 pm 

I have mixed feelings about Umskiptar. Alfadanz, Hit helga Tré and Gullaldr are all great songs, but the others are mostly boring. It seemed to me that the lyrics, presenting the poem of Völuspá, was more important than the riffs.

As for the two ambient ones at the end. I really like Feðrahellir, it has an uplifting and magical atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcvAUIazu84

Vigintiseptem wrote:
For me, with two distinct eras, Burzum has two endings:
-Hliðskjálf's closing track Der weinende Hadnur which for a while seemed to complete Burzum's circle as an ambient reworking of The Crying Orc, one of Varg's earliest compositions.
[...]

That's a very nice way to look at it.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:06 pm 

Oh good, he has more time to point at the camera and find out things.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 am 

I never liked "Burzum", "Aske" and "Det som engang var" because of the terrible vocals and the sound/style was not quite interesting for me.

But I really enjoy "Filosofem" and "Hvis lyset tar oss". The last one has which are probably the best Burzum songs I have ever listened to, "Det som en gang var " and "Tomhet" , which is his best ambient track, by far.

"Dauði Baldrs" was really lame while "Hliðskjálf" was a fine ambient album, I do enjoy this work a lot.

His comeback Works were interesting, being problaby the best one "Belus", though "Fallen" was good too. I did not dig "Umskiptar" though the style was something for me. I should revisit this album.

Finally, his last two ambient/ritual albums were good, I have listened to them a lot when I study or read. I really like them..

Its a pity that Burzum is no more because the ambient works were good, but taking into acount how volatile this guy is, he could make another comeback, who knows.

Mamont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:14 am 

Like most, I liked Filosofem but do not care so much for the rest of Burzum's discography. Burzum's legacy is very big on atmospheric black metal and NSBM. It would be interesting to see him reappear under other projects (of different styles, but not ambient...) or collaborations.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:07 pm 

I only have the first four albums + Aske, and the only one I've listened to in any great depth is Filosofem, which is a great album with one great misstep: the 25 minute song, and that's coming from someone with a reasonable liking for dungeon synth and dark ambient. I'll be seeking out the rest of the albums soon... I dunno why but it's never really struck me to go out of my way to seek out the rest, even though I do like Filosofem.

The fact that he's an awful awful person and people are willing to turn the other cheek in order to enjoy his music is a testament his status in the metal scene.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:25 pm 

I feel like the 'awful person' comments have more to do with his racism than the fact that, ya know, he killed a guy lol. You don't have to preface liking Dissection or Emperor with 'they're assholes but I just like the music' comments.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:14 pm 

Well while Vikernes was, as I will maintain, a domestic terrorist for his attacks on Norwegian cultural heritage,, and clearly a dangerous man for killing his bandmate, I find the homophobic murders much more disturbing.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next