Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:32 pm 

I've had an iPod touch for about 3.5 years now and its performance presently is horrible. Usually, I get lucky sometimes and it will sync all my music but that on a occasion is somewhat rare. Does anyone know how long the life of a normal iPod touch 6th generation might be? Also, I need a recommendation for really good MP3 players. Because so far, I'm really not impressed with Apple. I'm looking for something that can hold about 200-250GB possibly including Bluetooth capability.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:51 pm 

Fiio X1. I've had one for years and the sound qualit is much better than an Ipod.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-Resolution- ... ds=fiio+x1

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra-20 ... ro+sd+card

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Fiio X1. I've had one for years and the sound qualit is much better than an Ipod.

Should I get the 2nd generation or the 3rd generation? I'm really thinking about purchasing this player.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:40 pm 

Sony NW-A45/B Walkman with Hi-Res Audio, Grayish Black (2018 Model)

Can somebody tell me how much MicroSD storage cards I can use on this particular player?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:39 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

Should I get the 2nd generation or the 3rd generation? I'm really thinking about purchasing this player.

Ive got the 1st generation. From what Ive read, the 2nd generation is buggy. I don't think there's a big difference between each version though.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9GZHK1/re ... B06X9GZHK1
I ordered this one, a few bucks cheaper than the filio one someone linked. the only less than good reviews centered around the battery life being less than expected, but most of the time I don't care about that, I just want something that holds a lot of songs and will last a couple hours before I need to charge again.

Also got a 256 gb micro sd card for it (no internal storage on player)

HAven't gotten it in the mail yet from Amazon, so I can't comment on my experience with it yet, though.

But damnit, I've been using multiple mp3 devices just to access a decent variety of music. I have an old SanDisk one but it will only let you add an SD card of 32 gb, at most, has 8gb internal, and is too old to use with bluetooth headphones. Then I have stuff on my Kindle, my current phone, and my old phone. [facepalm]
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:13 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I've had an iPod touch for about 3.5 years now and its performance presently is horrible. Usually, I get lucky sometimes and it will sync all my music but that on a occasion is somewhat rare. Does anyone know how long the life of a normal iPod touch 6th generation might be? Also, I need a recommendation for really good MP3 players. Because so far, I'm really not impressed with Apple. I'm looking for something that can hold about 200-250GB possibly including Bluetooth capability.

I LOVE Cowon since my first iAudio U2 (small and cheap, perfect):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowon
http://www.cowonglobal.com/

Now I have a Plenue 1 (expensive). Read:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2015/04/escuchar-musica-de-calidad-en-calidad.html

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 am 

Get a device that is compatible with rockbox. You really can't do better with a portable music player.

https://www.rockbox.org/

I personally use an old sandisk sansa clip+, but they support many other devices too.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:50 am 

Sansa Clip+ is badass, but they're discontinued. I managed to get one refurb a while back for not too expensive though.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:59 am 

Now is a good time to ask, anyone know what these are like?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-STOCK-32 ... ZiWKLFj1UQ

Could be alright for an ipod knockoff?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 pm 

I liked my FiiO M3 a lot. The Chinese out of the box experience was a bit tough until I got the firmware updated and changed to English. Unfortunately it got smashed while traveling. I was going to just buy another one, but there was a big sale on AGPtEK players and after I did some research it seemed like a reasonable alternative. Mine is the 16GB + microSD port version. I would say it's similarly comparable to the FiiO M3. The FiiO was louder without an amp out of the box, but this one has a somewhat better interface. I think the M3 technically has better battery performance, but the AGPtEK also has massive battery life. I'd buy one of these again if it bites the dust.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:42 pm 

They're out of production, but the ipod classic is and will always be my favorite and I treasure mine dearly.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:26 am 

Oh sure, but those things cost like a million goddamn dollars these days.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:25 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

I've never understood why the market wasn't enough to justify continued production of them. They're the best product Apple has made, to my mind. Built like a tank, good interface, huge storage capacity.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:36 pm 

I think it's just a matter of timing. The iPod, especially the really huge storage ones, got hit hard by increased storage capacity on smartphones and then again by streaming services taking away from downloads, and I think there were enough things like Sansas in rotation that the iPod sales just fell off a cliff for long enough for Apple to pull the plug on them before other manufacturers started taking their stakes in the niche market for people who prefer listening to digital files rather than streaming.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:46 am 

anyone knows a decent one with 8 hour or more battery life, not too expensive. thnx

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 am 

The AGPtEK I just mentioned lasts at least that long.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:43 pm 

FYI, Fiio x1 is 90 on amazon and theyve got some good deals on micro sd cards.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:19 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I think it's just a matter of timing. The iPod, especially the really huge storage ones, got hit hard by increased storage capacity on smartphones and then again by streaming services taking away from downloads, and I think there were enough things like Sansas in rotation that the iPod sales just fell off a cliff for long enough for Apple to pull the plug on them before other manufacturers started taking their stakes in the niche market for people who prefer listening to digital files rather than streaming.

As much as I don't care for Apple, I actually like the iPod Classics. I just wish they had more storage for less absurd cost. I like how iTunes maintains stats and has programmable playlists and that shit, despite the program itself being rather clunky at times. Fucking thing went through a six month period of refusing to open easily on my computer. At any rate, I'd prefer not to lose all those stats one day. I love that shit.

I am also not a fan of music streaming. A lot of the stuff I listen to or want to listen to just isn't on there. I understand Metal is one of the most popular genres on Spotify, but I don't fully get it. In my head, a metalhead doesn't want such limitations. They want that rare shit they had to buy in a basement corner store somewhere that only a couple hundred people in the world might be listening to. Digging for those treasures, you know.

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:52 pm 

I like my X5, although my first generation one has a really slow and crappy interface. Considering upgrading to the 3rd gen one which runs android, maybe I could create my own player app that has a useful "random album" function (play one album, in order, all the way through, then go to a random next album).

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:00 pm 

Genuinely curious, but are these players (specifically the ones that are .flac compatible) worth the price over simply using an app like Foobar2000 or PowerAmp on my LG G6? I understand not all phones have SDcard slots or even headphone jacks now, but in my case I have all I need to carry more than enough of my library on the go and not notice any loss in sound quality from my desktop (except, of course, when I'm using Bluetooth). But I have looked at some of these with great interest before.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:12 am 

motorsport wrote:
Genuinely curious, but are these players (specifically the ones that are .flac compatible) worth the price over simply using an app like Foobar2000 or PowerAmp on my LG G6? I understand not all phones have SDcard slots or even headphone jacks now, but in my case I have all I need to carry more than enough of my library on the go and not notice any loss in sound quality from my desktop (except, of course, when I'm using Bluetooth). But I have looked at some of these with great interest before.

I've tried a few flac albums and haven't noticed a difference. Seems to me that the only way you'd notice a difference between 320 and flac is if you have an expensive sound system or $200 headphones.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
I've tried a few flac albums and haven't noticed a difference. Seems to me that the only way you'd notice a difference between 320 and flac is if you have an expensive sound system or $200 headphones.

I disagree, but this is a separate discussion that's more or less irrelevant to my post and the thread.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:31 am 

motorsport wrote:

Well it's all just a matter of what's important to you. For many people a phone is just fine. Personally, I just like having a separate device so that I don't have to worry about listening to too much music and running down my phone battery, or not being able to listen to music because I was using my phone for other stuff. So yeah, mainly just a matter of battery and storage. If mp3 players were still the size of smartphones I'd probably think twice about having two devices.

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 am 

I won't bother with flac on my player, as I only use it outdoors anyway, and the sound of traffic is often around me mixing in with the sound. I would not hear the difference between them and my mp3 files. Also, I think flac playback is more battery intensive.

The reason I have a separate player is the storage space. The X5 has two SD slots, and I can have a big part of my collection on it.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
motorsport wrote:

Even with a good sound system most people are not going to be able to tell the difference, and if you think you can tell the difference but you've never done a blind test (a la ABX or similar) then you're probably fooling yourself.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:11 pm 

I've got an iPod touch 6th generation 64gb. I think I got it for £230. It is green but once in the case you can't tell. I can't really knock it apart from syncing can be a ball ache at times. I also admit I do buy music from iTunes every now and then.

I'm far from an expert - I sometimes call my iPod a Walkman- but can these players for $90 be as good as an iPod? I know apple products are overpriced but even so.

Last edited by Conan Troutman on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:31 pm 

Conan Troutman wrote:
I've got an iPod touch 6th generation 64gb. I think I got it for £230. It is green but once in the case you can't tell. I can't really knock it apart from syncing can be a ball ache at times. I also admit I do by music from iTunes every now and then.

I'm far from an expert - I sometimes call my iPod a Walkman- but can these players for $90 be as good as an iPod? I know apple products are overpriced but even so.

I tried an Ipod classic(160gb version) and feel the sound was really lacking. Fiio has much better sound quality.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:03 am 

Oblarg wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

I've never understood why the market wasn't enough to justify continued production of them. They're the best product Apple has made, to my mind. Built like a tank, good interface, huge storage capacity.

I would like a new, obviously bigger, iPod classic. I've had my 120GB Classic since 2009. It's the only Apple product I own, and lately it's been starting to show it's age with some odd behavior. They are grossly over-charged, but it lasted me this long. I'd still prefer a new Classic over literally any other piece of crap product Apple makes.

The thing is, I like the custom programming of playlists, I like the organization options and ripping options of iTunes, and I would prefer to maintain my giant swath of statistics and ratings on the music that I've built up over the years.

This is why, if Apple isn't going to properly continue the device, I wish there was a third party option that worked with iTunes in exactly the same way. Keep my playlists, keep my statistics, my ratings, my play counts, my organization, etc.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:31 pm 

You could..umm...always get a better piece of software.

zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:19 pm 

Woah, I didn't know people still used mp3 players. I thought most people just used their phones! :P

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:02 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Because why sell the public one good product when you can sell them a shit product each year that needs to be replaced so apple can get more money.

Love my classic iPod but I will never buy any apple products because of how shit they are.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:29 am 

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Pl ... mp3+player

I had one of these about ten years ago and it was perfect for what I needed. I'd add a few albums and the limited space wasn't too big a deal because I'd keep my favorites on there and keep swapping out the stuff I wanted to listen through. It got corrupted but that thing was reliable through all my brother's time with it and then about three years for me before finally crapping out.

With that thing was the first time I heard 'In the Nightside Eclipse'. Still, how are people selling this thing for upwards of 60 bucks nowadays?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well it's all just a matter of what's important to you. For many people a phone is just fine. Personally, I just like having a separate device so that I don't have to worry about listening to too much music and running down my phone battery, or not being able to listen to music because I was using my phone for other stuff. So yeah, mainly just a matter of battery and storage. If mp3 players were still the size of smartphones I'd probably think twice about having two devices.

+1.

zonfar wrote:
Woah, I didn't know people still used mp3 players. I thought most people just used their phones! :P

Phones are, you know, phones. Get a proper camera and music player:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2015/04/idiotphones.html
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2018/09/camaras-de-fotos.html
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2015/04/escuchar-musica-de-calidad-en-calidad.html
You'll thank us.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:59 am 

I still have my iPod classic 120 gb and I recently bought three defunkt ones from which I could make 1 good iPod 160 gb which I safe as back up, there are quite some tutorials online and the total costs were 40 euro's for me (10 each player and 10 for material costs) so if that is something you can do, do it!
I don't have a phone so having and MP3 player = life for me

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm 

How the hell did you get classics for so cheap?

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
How the hell did you get classics for so cheap?

part luck I guess and remember they were broken in some way so I posted an add on a dutch trade site that I would pay 10 euro's
however I got a total new and functional one for only 65 euro's (guy didn't really know that it was worth much more)

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:08 pm 

I purchased an iPod Touch (6th generation) and it works perfectly. Plus, there's no SIM card needed and the Bluetooth works very well. However, there is just one problem, the iPod can only hold 128GB's.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:40 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I purchased an iPod Touch (6th generation) and it works perfectly. Plus, there's no SIM card needed and the Bluetooth works very well. However, there is just one problem, the iPod can only hold 128GB's.

Damn, I wouldve recommended this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7Z67F5/re ... 42729&sr=2

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:38 pm 

Ended up buying an AGPTEK Bluetooth MP3 Player Rocker V2 a couple of months ago. Works really good and it is very simple to use. I had a difficult time setting the mp3 player up but enduring the process was worth with it.

Last edited by ~Guest 118084 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next