Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:30 am 

Listening to the new songs played live. They sure know how to make a catchy hard rock song. 'Dance Macabre' sounds like the biggest hit this summer, not some 'Macarena'. Can almost hear the local youth playing it constantly in their ghettoblasters. I'm not going to listen this all the time - I guess I'll be listening new Solstice album instead -, but quite strong stuff in their genre anyways.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:09 pm 

Saw the show on Friday and it was one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

I honestly thought Dance Macabre was a Cyndi Lauper cover at first; just instantly catchy and familiar and perfect 80s pop. Agreed, the song is going to be fucking massive. Here's a better version:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:21 am 

The studio version of "Dance Macabre" is out now. Yeah, like stated above it's a pop song. It's catchy-as-fuck. I'm not into it though. I was so excited upon hearing Rats, so I hope the rest of the record is more like that than Dance Macabre.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am 

Gotta say I really enjoy it, it's a fun little tune that should make a pretty big impact. It also reminds me of how Ghost is one of the few modern bands that is actually going out of their way to be catchy anymore. I love a lot of new bands but if there's one thing that the old guard still has on us, it's that they weren't afraid to have all their songs be catchy.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am 

That song sounds like a mixture of Demon (NWOBHM band) w/ "Broadsword and the Beast"-era Jethro Tull.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 am 

I think that "Rats" track is the last thing I'll bother with from Ghost. Just abysmal to me. The riff is simple in such an irritating, dumb way and the song was terribly dull to me even at like 4 minutes. I could barely even finish it. They're just too simple to a fault, in such a banal, bland and stupid way. I guess it's supposed to evoke an old school feel of some kind, but to me it is just empty. Ah well. Good riddance if I never hear another song.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:38 pm 

Dance Macabre is brilliant, so catchy and well written. Prequelle may just be one of the best albums of 2018. How does Tobias do it so well considering how he replaces the band members?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:57 pm 

As I mentioned on the previous page, he uses professional pop songwriters. That's how. I don't mind that because I love pop music, and there's still an art to writing stuff this catchy and excellent, but I really hope people aren't under the impression that he does this all himself. These are the guys who worked on Dance Macabre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_Al_Fakir
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Pontare
Source: https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/sea ... /894686909

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:14 pm 

Dance Macabre is really an amazing song. I have a feeling I'll being play this song more than any other in 2018. Can't wait to hear the full record!

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
As I mentioned on the previous page, he uses professional pop songwriters. That's how. I don't mind that because I love pop music, and there's still an art to writing stuff this catchy and excellent, but I really hope people aren't under the impression that he does this all himself. These are the guys who worked on Dance Macabre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_Al_Fakir
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Pontare
Source: https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/sea ... /894686909

so he's smart lol.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
As I mentioned on the previous page, he uses professional pop songwriters. That's how. I don't mind that because I love pop music, and there's still an art to writing stuff this catchy and excellent, but I really hope people aren't under the impression that he does this all himself.

I like pop music too, but this song isn't doing anything for me. At least now I can say I've listened to a Ghost song.

One of the YouTube comments is "Has this band been around in 1985, we might have had affordable healthcare in the U.S by 2030." I'm not sure if that's a compliment.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:18 am 

didn't really care for dance macabre honestly, but i'm sure it's an ear worm like most of their crap.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:55 am 

I don't care, the song is catchy and fun. Kind of getting bored in it already though, hah. Listened it so many times.

Mortaeus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I think that "Rats" track is the last thing I'll bother with from Ghost. Just abysmal to me. The riff is simple in such an irritating, dumb way and the song was terribly dull to me even at like 4 minutes. I could barely even finish it. They're just too simple to a fault, in such a banal, bland and stupid way. I guess it's supposed to evoke an old school feel of some kind, but to me it is just empty. Ah well. Good riddance if I never hear another song.

I don't know that I'll go so far as to never listen to them again, but they're getting too poppy for me; to a fault, I think. I am still on the fence as to whether I'm going to buy this album or not...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:00 am 

Well I never liked them that much, then hated the last album, and only tried this new song after seeing some positive comments about it here. But eh not for me I guess.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:23 pm 

Danse Macabre sounds like Kiss meets Pat Benatar.

Sweet!

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:08 pm 

I saw them live a few weeks ago and it was absolutely killer. They played a fair mix of material from all their albums and of course the four new ones that have been circulating around youtube. "Dance Macabre" is catchy as hell and I love it! It's got an '80s pop/heavy metal vibe that is just so contagious. The only thing I find interesting about it is the lyrics: they don't seem Satanic or even occult (although he does say, "wanna bewitch you..." before I read the lyrics I thought it was "be with you"). This seems more like a love song, but either way, it is well done.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:49 am 

Something I wrote about Ghost today. It's about the debates surrounding them and my attempt for a more sober approach.
http://vics-dungeon.blogspot.gr/2018/05 ... dness.html

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:32 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Something I wrote about Ghost today. It's about the debates surrounding them and my attempt for a more sober approach.

It was always 100% about the music for me and never the "metalness," and I think they suck and have only gotten worse with time. I've also seen them live and wasn't impressed even a little with that. Just plastic, soulless, boring music to me.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:31 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

A pretty solid assessment though I probably like Opus Eponymous more than you.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:53 pm 

Anyone know if its leaked anywhere? A few people on facebook are tslking like theyve already heard the album today

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
It was always 100% about the music for me and never the "metalness," and I think they suck and have only gotten worse with time. I've also seen them live and wasn't impressed even a little with that. Just plastic, soulless, boring music to me.

Then you're the exception man, seriously, I don't think I've ever had one discussion about Ghost before without a huge part of it being how they are marketing darlings and a gimmick band.

"Boring music to me" is absolutely fair. Not so sure about "plastic" though. I think they have fantastic sound productions that really stand out in the plastic/processed world we live in and the music sounds very um, analog I guess would be one way to put it.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
A pretty solid assessment though I probably like Opus Eponymous more than you.

Cheers!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:25 am 

Is this metal? :?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:49 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Then you're the exception man, seriously, I don't think I've ever had one discussion about Ghost before without a huge part of it being how they are marketing darlings and a gimmick band.

"Boring music to me" is absolutely fair. Not so sure about "plastic" though. I think they have fantastic sound productions that really stand out in the plastic/processed world we live in and the music sounds very um, analog I guess would be one way to put it.

Well I mean I'd say they are definitely a gimmick band. It's all about the image and the theatricality. It's just that they're not terribly different from many other bands - a lot of bands focus heavily on visual spectacles and marketing/costumes/etc, the artificial and the obviously fantastical. Otherwise everything would be just 90s grunge stuff trying to be very real and serious. Ghost just got popular so there's just more bitching about it with them.

The distinction I would draw is just that there music has no substance to make the gimmick worth it. I saw them opening for Maiden, and it made sense. Both bands are very focused on theatricality and putting on a show. The difference for me was that Ghost came off tame and obviously fake, and I didn't believe them for a second. The music came off very static, forced into a box to be simple to a fault, as if the band was afraid playing anything more challenging would lose the fanbase. Then Maiden came out and you were just totally sucked into it and it was a much more genuine experience. Maiden have a lot more experience, but even so, I just dunno if Ghost will ever get there.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 am 

I can't see the appeal of Ghost's music at all. They're the musical equivalent of a big ol' block of plain, uncooked tofu.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:49 pm 

Their music sounds good, nice melodies. Great rock, I fear it's false metal though.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:52 pm 

I don't think they've ever been metal. That's ok. I listen to Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Eric Dolphy and Beastie Boys. Might as well listen to Ghost.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:19 pm 

i just find them fun mindless music. wife and kid likes them too, so that says something lol.

trommnorse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 am 

I think Ghost found the perfect balance between rock'n'roll and pop music. They have the heaviness, the wicked atmosphere, and apart from that catchy, melodic songs that just pop with you instantly. Also, I'm a big fan of Tobias, have been from the era of Repugnant, and is simply amazes me, that whatever he does I like so much. Rats are a fucking killer track, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed with Danse Macabre.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:47 am 

They have a great songs, put on a great show, and don't take themselves very seriously. Three out of three, gotta love 'em.

Couldn't possibly care any fucking less if they're metal or not.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:15 am 

Runko wrote:
They have a great songs, put on a great show, and don't take themselves very seriously. Three out of three, gotta love 'em.

Couldn't possibly care any fucking less if they're metal or not.

Wholeheartedly agree. While i love their debut, Meliora just encompassed everything that I feel make Ghost a phenomenal band, with or without the more heavy sound.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:25 pm 

The new Ghost album has leaked this evening for those who are impatient, like me hehe. See the russian metal tracker torrent site!

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm 

A Backwards 6 wrote:

No, definitely not. Overrated and boring as fuck
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:36 pm 

It's a brilliant release! Did we expect any different though? ;)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:38 pm 

Asti78 wrote:
A Backwards 6 wrote:

No, definitely not. Overrated and boring as fuck

Thanks for adding this stimulating critique to the conversation.

I've had the album for a week and I'm still processing it. I am definitely disappointed that 3/10 tracks are instrumental, and ending with a pure ballad is a bit annoying. Rats and Dance Macabre really are by far the best tracks, but there still isn't a boring moment on the album. I think I like Meliora a bit more solid overall, but that was much slower to grow on me than this one.

Last edited by narsilianshard on Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:42 pm 

Yeah it leaked today. Seems pretty top-heavy, but those first few songs are great. Couple of mediocre ones. There are 2 instrumentals not including the intro track, but they're pretty good (especially the first one). Album kind of ends on an anticlimactic note. Will give it a few more listens but seems pretty solid.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:01 pm 

Not much metal on this one, but I think it is quite good atmospheric rock. I like the heavy use of piano throughout. The instrumental Helvetesfönster is a highlight, with what sounds like a flute.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:52 am 

Some really good songs here. I doubt that I will put it on my metal playlist though.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:41 am 

Enjoyed the album. Not as good as Meliora, but got some incredibly catchy and majestic songs nonetheless. Pro Memoria and Helvetesfonster didn't click with me though...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:33 am 

On my first listen, this is pretty decent but I feel like I was expecting something more upbeat. Like the pop descriptor certainly fits but I was kinda hoping for an album full of Year Zero sound-alikes like Dance Macabre. Someday I'll get the vaguely heavy satanic Eurodance rock album that I apparently want for some reason...

EDIT: Also horrible news about the fan that died at their Milwaukee concert. Having that happen on the eve of a new album's release must be hitting the band pretty hard.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next