Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 am 

I see a crappy super-group in his future, probably with Phil Anselmo on vocals and Bostaph still on the drums. It will much hyped and forgotten approximately one month after release.

Or maybe a lame solo album with a ton of "popular" metal guest stars like Robb Flynn.

I don't think he'll try to resurrect Slayer without Tom, and I do think Tom is sincere about wanting to retire and stay retired.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 am 

Will that be on Nuclear Blast or Frontiers Records?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:28 am 

tahu157 wrote:
Will that be on Nuclear Blast or Frontiers Records?

Nuke Blast of course.

Frontier Records is topped out at 500 signed acts at the moment, including 5 versions of Great White.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 pm 

It will be a band called "The Big Four," featuring Kerry King, Dave Mustaine, Lars Ulrich and Frank Bello.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:07 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
It will be a band called "The Big Four," featuring Kerry King, Dave Mustaine, Lars Ulrich and Frank Bello.

That's as likely as Lombardo and King playing together in the future.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 pm 

I'm sure whatever it is will be as boring and generic as Repentless or World Painted Blood.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
I'm sure whatever it is will be as boring and generic as Repentless or World Painted Blood.

WPB was good because it had a lot of Hanneman songwriting. His post-Slayer albums will be far worse than that!

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:46 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

That's as likely as Lombardo and King playing together in the future.

I was joking but it would be fun to watch all of them fight to the death during their first show in order to determine which band is #1.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm 

After a while he'll pop up playing with some other bands live here and there. Then surprise...surprise Slayer returns, without Araya but with Holt (yawn) and Bostaph (yawn).

Slayer will always have potential, King just needs another guitarist who's a better songwriter and he needs to let the vocalist do more than just scream like some chick in a horror movie. And of course a mediocre drummer won't do. With a bunch of those crazy young kids who are out there, Slayer could be pretty awesome again.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:08 pm 

Slayer has never had a mediocre drummer. Who would you suggest for Slayer's drum throne?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

I was joking but it would be fun to watch all of them fight to the death during their first show in order to determine which band is #1.

I don't think Lars and Bello are fighters. Jaymz and Benante maybe?

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:02 pm 

Pretty sure he's done after slayer, I vaguely remember some interview where he remarked that he's getting kinda tired of the whole music thing

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:16 pm 

Nhor wrote:
Pretty sure he's done after slayer, I vaguely remember some interview where he remarked that he's getting kinda tired of the whole music thing

Tom's been saying that for years, but I think KK has been saying the opposite?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slayer ... -his-wife/

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:11 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

I don't think Lars and Bello are fighters. Jaymz and Benante maybe?

Mustaine would probably slay them all (no pun intended), leaving Lars last. A man that bases his entire career around one-upping the band that kicked him out has to be out for blood.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:45 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Nhor wrote:

Tom's been saying that for years, but I think KK has been saying the opposite?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slayer ... -his-wife/

that sounds right

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Slayer has never had a mediocre drummer. Who would you suggest for Slayer's drum throne?

I can only think of one outstanding Slayer drummer: Lombardo.

Personally, I'd get John Longstreth.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 pm 

Wasn’t it King that wanted Jon Dette back in Slayer instead of Bostaph and was outvoted on it? I like Bostaph just fine, always have, but it would have been nice for Dette to get that opportunity and maybe he finally will. I’m perplexed how he hasn’t been given an opportunity with a bigger band, and it seems like he got even better with time based on videos of him filling in live a few years ago.

Point being, if King is going to go on writing and playing Slayer-esque songs, he should get a drummer that isn’t a modern tech death machine, or at least one who understands when and how to lay off from that style and bring some genuine creativity. That’s an important and historical role to fill, constant high school drumline paradiddle gravity blasting ain’t gonna cut it (not saying that’s specifically Longstreth, he’s good, but you all get what I mean.) That stuff’s fun when it fits and works with the music, not over the top of it.

...and I’m gonna do the right thing and be civil and ignore that yawn alongside Gary Holt.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 pm 

He'll form another thrash band which to all intents and purposes will be Slayer Mark II, probably have Bostaph on drums, he'll give Gary Holt back to Exodus, his band's first album will do alright because "hey, it's the dude from Slayer" and then the second album will follow a disproportionate amount of time later and will do slightly worse based on the law of diminishing returns and then this will continue until Kerry either dies or decides that enough is enough.

Not to mention, just like the new band is a carbon copy of Slayer, the albums will be shit much like latter-day Slayer. And this is coming from a guy who will pretty much lap up all thrash.

BurnTheWitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 pm 

professional wrestling

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 am 

BurnTheWitch wrote:
professional wrestling

Actually, with Billy Corgan now owning/running the NWA, this isn't as far a stretch as you'd think. I could easily see Kerry dropping some cash on a deathmatch company (CZW seems right up his alley) or starting his own.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 am 

He’ll form a new band with some sub-Anselmo d-bag and call it “Priest goes thrash”. They’ll get a spot on tour with Black Label Society and the album will sound like God Hates Us All with the odd nod to 80s metal. The live show will have people giving out free jäger shots.

It’ll be Slayer’s Hellyeah.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:50 am 

Acrobat wrote:
He’ll form a new band with some sub-Anselmo d-bag and call it “Priest goes thrash”. They’ll get a spot on tour with Black Label Society and the album will sound like God Hates Us All with the odd nod to 80s metal. The live show will have people giving out free jäger shots.

Slayeah??

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 am 

Acrobat wrote:

That's a pretty good prediction.

Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:06 pm 

He'll form another band to play songs from the first 3 albums, called I Am Slayer.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:24 pm 

Hatebreed/Slayer/Slipknot supergroup.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:47 pm 

This thread sounded like a great idea but the more that I read it, the worse it gets.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:23 am 

I'm curious if Kerry King has ever said if he wanted to exit music, because I've never really heard him speak on that. I can't imagine he stays in music, unless he moves in some sort of production role.

SweetSilence wrote:
This thread sounded like a great idea but the more that I read it, the worse it gets.

I think that's the point, lol.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am 

He'll definitely be contributing more guest solos to other bands' songs to keep his name out there at the very least. Because Kerry King solos are apparently a desirable commodity.

In terms of an actual band, I can just imagine a Kerry King band playing watered down Repentless thrash with a Corey Taylor soundalike on vocals. Slayer covers optional but likely.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:44 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
He'll definitely be contributing more guest solos to other bands' songs to keep his name out there at the very least. Because Kerry King solos are apparently a desirable commodity.

So guesting on bands like In this Moment or Five Finger Death Punch, like Rob "Metal is Dead" Halford did?

Quote:
In terms of an actual band, I can just imagine a Kerry King band playing watered down Repentless thrash with a Corey Taylor soundalike on vocals. Slayer covers optional but likely.

Yeah, or a Phil Anselmo wannabe. Slayer covers definitely part of the deal.

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Thu May 24, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 am 

SweetSilence wrote:

Much like the band and most of its post-Seasons output. It's funny how this world works sometimes.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:57 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I'm curious if Kerry King has ever said if he wanted to exit music, because I've never really heard him speak on that. I can't imagine he stays in music, unless he moves in some sort of production role.

I know he was asked about a post-Slayer career a few years back when Tom started talking about retiring (long before the official announcement) and I remember his response was something like "I'll still make music and it'll probably sound like Slayer".

I actually can't envision Kerry in production role. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who wants to guide other bands.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:01 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
I actually can't envision Kerry in production role. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who wants to guide other bands.

You probably have a point there. I can't recall his credits on the latter-era Slayer albums, but if he never dipped into the production-end of things, I can't imagine he'll find a new career in music there.

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:01 pm 

I think he will get fatter.

Atomization - Spotify

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 pm 

I read somewhere he's a snake venom farmer in his spare time, maybe he'll fixate on that. I suppose there is quite some money to be earned in that sector because it's related to the pharmacy industry.

gizzard_puke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 pm 

It will be something shitty I've not bought a Slayer record since Divine Intervention (which I hated)

logrus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:47 am 

It really depends if he tries to do the similar music as with Slayer or push into new direction, or do some more punkich/hc sound.

If he chooses to do Slayer 2.0, it will be a sad failure. I was really disappointed with "Repetitiveness" "Relentless".
It was clear that without Hanneman, Slayer has lost momentum and Kerry is able to write simple in-your-face songs, but not the complex ones.
So, actually some hc/punk band with Kerry and Anselmo could be a good one. But on the other hand, if you are and old rock star can you get back to your roots and make credible, raw, angry music again?

EDIT: Oh, and since it's my first post here - hello forum \m/

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:17 am 

gizzard_puke wrote:
It will be something shitty I've not bought a Slayer record since Divine Intervention (which I hated)

Divine Intervention was great you filthy swine.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:50 am 

I bet he's going to form an acoustic Christian rock group that preaches abstinence and the lord Jesus Christ. Line-up will include: Wes Borland and Joey Jordison. He'll do amazingly well in Africa and end up moving out to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:28 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
gizzard_puke wrote:

Divine Intervention was great you filthy swine.

Divine Intervention would've been so much better if the vocals weren't so damned monotonous.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 am 

Whatever it is, the quality is going to be equal to him making a mumble-rap Soundcloud mixtape.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next