Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:05 pm 

Absolutely loved the recent hilltop zombie fest. I'm a diehard Walking Dead fan, have loved the show since season one. Obviously there are hills and troughs when it comes to episode quality, as with almost every single long running serial ever. But overall I'm a massive fan and the recent season has been some of the best, I can agree with that.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:22 pm 

Has anyone seen Channel Zero? A friend recommended it, saying it's actually pretty creepy. I don't really know of any good current horror shows (not that I've tried many, admittedly) so I might give it a go.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:56 pm 

Finished the two seasons of Utopia. Bloody good, it's no wonder the same country that produced The Prisoner, Get Carter and Kill List would produce such another inventive thriller. Netflix really needs to revive it!!!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:07 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Finished the two seasons of Utopia. Bloody good, it's no wonder the same country that produced The Prisoner, Get Carter and Kill List would produce such another inventive thriller. Netflix really needs to revive it!!!

Yesssss. One of my favorite shows of all time, absolutely gutted it got cut down in its prime. Neil Maskell, also in Kill List, created one of my favorite characters ever. The soundtrack is also one of the most haunting and unique I've ever seen on TV.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:10 pm 

Neil Maskell is one of my fav Brit actors right now, have heard he's been a shit ton of other British crime/thriller stuff too so I might check 'em out.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:18 pm 

He was a major character in the interesting (if very flawed) Open Windows, with Elijah Wood. Worth watching, even if the movie gets too complicated for its own good.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:27 am 

I finally decided to watch all of CSI, having only ever watched the original series about halfway through. I haven't started the others yet, but man, did this show ever take a downturn after Ted Danson joined the cast. The writing seems to ignore veterans of the show in favor of Ted Danson and Elizabeth Shue-centric character focus, and the plotting and direction has taken on a cliche' Hollywood action movie style. All of a sudden, the show is overwhelmingly packed with hyper-detailed, psychologically-motivated, Hannibal Lector style super killers. Blegh.

It also reeks of a lot of the traits of a show that's clearly on a steep decline, particularly this one: More and more major guest stars, Gene Simmons and Ozzy both showed up for instance.

I have yet to see a TV series that didn't meet the stereotype of "all shows peak around the 5th-7th seasons, after which, they begin a steady decline from which they never recover."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:05 pm 

The Expanse has been killing it lately.

It's also been cancelled :'(.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:00 pm 

What? I thought it was doing very well, why cancel it? Well, hopefully, someone will pick it up.

Watched Cobra Kai in two days. It was really, really enjoyable and with the right amount of nostalgia bits, not taking itself too seriously but not to the point of being a parody show. It was actually a big surprise, surpassed my (rather low to be honest) expectations by a mile.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 am 

I've heard it's because a lot of people watched it thru streaming services and stuff like that, rather than on Syfy itself, so the channel wasn't making enough money off it. Dunno. Last I heard people are trying to get Amazon to buy the show, which would be aight.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:43 pm 

RIP Lucifer :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I've heard it's because a lot of people watched it thru streaming services and stuff like that, rather than on Syfy itself, so the channel wasn't making enough money off it. Dunno. Last I heard people are trying to get Amazon to buy the show, which would be aight.

It would really surprise me if Amazon/Netflix didn't pick it up, as Netflix already has international rights and it's already streamed on Prime. Only shows I even watch on SyFy are Z nation and Faceoff.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:49 am 

Nahsil wrote:

These TV channels need to adapt with the times. If more people are watching on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, they need to look into capitalizing on that, and I don't mean that every channel needs it's own idiotic subscription service. Fox works pretty closely with Hulu to the effect that all or most of theirs shows appear on the service next day. I don't even have TV (cable/sat) right now, and do all my watching on streaming. So they either need to get with the program or fuck off.

This just reminds me of Blockbuster's eventual failure. Blockbuster was too stupid to change with the times, reportedly had a chance to actually purchase Netflix once, and because they failed to change and adapt (even doubling down on failing ideas), they're just fucking gone now. It doesn't matter how well something works, eventually you either adapt or die. Even trilobites didn't last forever.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:06 am 

Looks like there's a potential new trilogy of Star Trek "films" to be broadcast on CBS All Access (and probably Netflix internationally) courtesy of Star Trek's best writer and director, Nicholas Meyer. Unfortunately, the upcoming fourth JJTrek film, to be directed by S.J. Clarkson--Star Trek first female feature film director btw--is potentially causing conflict, because Viacom owns the movie rights, while CBS owns the TV rights, and the "straight-to-All-Access" movie nature of Meyer's project leaves it charting hot waters. On the plus side, a re-merging of CBS and Viacom/Paramount is projected, so there's a good chance this will all settle down soon enough.

Second season of Discovery, a 4th JJTrek film and Tarantino's R-rated Star Trek trilogy all coming out within the next 5 years? More interesting time to be a trekkie than from 2005-2009. Even if the thought of Tarantino trying to do Star Trek makes me physically ill.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:11 pm 

Watched about 10 episodes of some straight-to-Netflix sitcom called The Good Place last night - not sure how I made it that far. The only real drawcard is Kristen Bell (and only then cause she was good in a couple of other things I guess) and everything else is truly *obnoxious*. Not a single character bears any similarity to someone you'd ever meet in real life, the one-liners that pass for jokes are just American sitcom gags that try to be extreme without being offensive but ultimately end up being forgettable and "off the wall" with no relevance to anything (think Modern Family) and the plot is amazingly empty. Don't want to spoiler it up but it's just so predictable and boring. I really hope it's satirical and the entire thing has just flown over my head, cause otherwise this is garbage of the woooorst kind.

Overall these Netflix exclusives are sooooo hit and miss. I dunno how many sci-fi series I've watched that are basically imitations of Blade Runner/Minority Report at this point and that I've stopped watching after 3 or 4 episodes. Thank fuck for the conspiracy documentaries.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:03 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Looks like there's a potential new trilogy of Star Trek "films" to be broadcast on CBS All Access (and probably Netflix internationally) courtesy of Star Trek's best writer and director, Nicholas Meyer. Unfortunately, the upcoming fourth JJTrek film, to be directed by S.J. Clarkson--Star Trek first female feature film director btw--is potentially causing conflict, because Viacom owns the movie rights, while CBS owns the TV rights, and the "straight-to-All-Access" movie nature of Meyer's project leaves it charting hot waters. On the plus side, a re-merging of CBS and Viacom/Paramount is projected, so there's a good chance this will all settle down soon enough.

Second season of Discovery, a 4th JJTrek film and Tarantino's R-rated Star Trek trilogy all coming out within the next 5 years? More interesting time to be a trekkie than from 2005-2009. Even if the thought of Tarantino trying to do Star Trek makes me physically ill.

So the time when nothing was happening was the most interesting time to be a Trekkie? I wouldn't say this new era is interesting, so much as throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks. Discovery's un-Trekness, the garbage Abrams films, and supposed Tarantino R-rated trilogy? The only thing interesting here is how broken and unfocused the franchise has become. Might as well bottom out and do a fucking anime spin-off while they're at it.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:56 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
So the time when nothing was happening was the most interesting time to be a Trekkie? I wouldn't say this new era is interesting, so much as throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks. Discovery's un-Trekness, the garbage Abrams films, and supposed Tarantino R-rated trilogy? The only thing interesting here is how broken and unfocused the franchise has become. Might as well bottom out and do a fucking anime spin-off while they're at it.

Was that a jab at The Animated Series? I liked it, and strongly disgree with its demotion from the ranks of "real" Trek just because of some asshole power struggle between Roddenberry and the new producers in the '90s.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:57 pm 

Discovery is plenty Trek, and Nick Meyer's straight-to-All-Access film series is something to be excited for. And I'd still take alternate universe JJ/TarantinoTrek over no Trek at all, it's not like the fact it exists has any effect on the existing franchise :lol:. You sound like a deranged fanboy.

Also, ST:TAS is awesome. And best of all, no Chekhov!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:09 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

It would really surprise me if Amazon/Netflix didn't pick it up, as Netflix already has international rights and it's already streamed on Prime. Only shows I even watch on SyFy are Z nation and Faceoff.

Update: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... on-1113803
:hyper:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:27 am 

severzhavnost wrote:

Was that a jab at The Animated Series? I liked it, and strongly disgree with its demotion from the ranks of "real" Trek just because of some asshole power struggle between Roddenberry and the new producers in the '90s.

It was a jab at shitty anime productions of popular franchises "because anime."

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:42 am 

darkeningday wrote:
And I'd still take alternate universe JJ/TarantinoTrek over no Trek at all, it's not like the fact it exists has any effect on the existing franchise :lol:. You sound like a deranged fanboy.

Also, ST:TAS is awesome. And best of all, no Chekhov!

Saying "I'll take any garbage just to have more of said franchise" is the ravings of a deranged fanboy. That is literally saying you will accept zero quality garbage just to have more fanboy masturbation material. You are exactly one of the ways toxic fandom ruins things.

I'll take good entertainment over any unnecessary filler entertainment any day. You will accept garbage because you cannot let go. I'd rather see a franchise die at it's peak than get dragged through mediocrity and banality the way Trek and Star Wars and pretty much any long-running franchise gets stuck in. All your mentality does is keep entertainment flatlining.

This reminds me of the old criticism of Nintendo fans: They'll buy an empty box with Nintendo printed on it. I guess for you, that empty box just needs Star Trek written on it. You known basically said so.

I don't understand how anyone can be excited for a Tarantino Trek in any regard. Because history always looks on stupid "darker, grittier" versions of things so positively, right? Like that last Fantastic Four movie? Or the plethora of 90's revamps of long-running comics? I suppose, though, the typical way this works is people who want to feel extreme like a bag of Doritos will support the "darker, grittier" while everyone else gets a foul taste in their mouths, the franchise crumbles, and then is reborn later largely following the ideas on which it was built.

I look forward to the post-now Trek era. Maybe a decade from now. They might be doing it right again. Making the franchise indistinguishable from every other modern space show hardly seems like the right move. It just ensures that we live in an era of forgettable nonsense. But at least it has Trek written on the box, eh? That's all the toxic fandom really wants. MOAR FRANCHISE.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:21 pm 

I'm hopeful that Tarantino Trek will at least have some artistic vision and quality to it, even if it's not exactly what I want out of Trek. Abrams Trek is total crap IMO.

Discovery isn't bad at all btw. The ending of s01 kinda sucked, but it had some great moments.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:50 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
toxic fandom

The amount of irony is causing my brain to leak out of my eyeballs.

Watch all of Discovery first, and also keep in mind that it's a completely distinct property from JJTrek; Paramount (film rights) and CBS (tv rights) are completely unrelated and to my knowledge, there's actually no crossover between the credits of the two other than Gene Roddenberry. I don't like any of the reboot films; Discovery was probably one of the best first seasons of Trek ever. Sure, that's not saying a lot, and Discovery had some serious missteps (Jason Isaacs became my favorite Star Trek captain ever, more so than even Picard or Sisko, only to get completely ruined near the end), but it was Star Trek through and through. Watch the first six minutes of this video if you need observable proof of this:

(no really. watch it!)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:48 am 

Michelle Wolf's The Break was pretty much completely entirely goddamn genius. Even sharper and wittier than her WHCD monologue. Never before has a comedian had a more apt name, her comedy is abslolutely fierce.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:09 pm 

She did a bit on Daily Show talking about how college athletes are getting swindled by their schools, and all I could think of was how much she reminds me of one of my friends. Look similar, act similar, both can be brutal in their riffs...

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:56 pm 

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/media/r ... index.html

This is the Mount Everest of fuckups.

Dear GOD.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:39 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Michelle Wolf's The Break was pretty much completely entirely goddamn genius. Even sharper and wittier than her WHCD monologue. Never before has a comedian had a more apt name, her comedy is abslolutely fierce.

Gotta check that out soon... her special 'Nice Lady' is absolutely fantastic and one of the best of last year.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:13 am 

darkeningday wrote:
The Expanse has been killing it lately.

It's also been cancelled :'(.

Fortunately for people deep into The Expanse, Amazon has picked up the rights so the show will definitely go on :hyper: :headbang:

Third season has been awesome so far; great change of pace with the transition to another book. The last episode was simply mind blowing.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:
'Metalhead' was a badass episode. Very cool. Not as socially aware as most BM episodes, a bit out of character, but a nicely rugged, propulsive action story.

pretty much the kind of sap I'd expect from a former badass who now has a wife and kids.

'look how much I love muh grandson, I'm going to sacrifice everyone's life just for a dumb toy for him'

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm 

Was anyone else following Legion season 2? I thought the finale may have been the best episode of the show. It really helped some stuff from earlier in the season fall into place as well.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 am 

Watched a bunch of shows recently.

Star Trek: Enterprise got really good toward the end. I never really liked Archer all that much, but the show became very solid. I think I'd rank it above Voyager.

Mr. Robot - This was pretty fun, kind of reminded me of a smarter Dexter. Looking forward to continuing it.

Attack On Titan - This...hmm. It has some cool action sequences but so many awful, annoying characters and endless monologues. Super love-hate, leaning toward hate.

Dark - I read this billed as Stranger Things meets Twin Peaks. I can sorta see where that comes from, but the show falls way short of what you'd expect based on that description. It looks pretty and has good atmosphere sometimes, plus it has some cool nods to metal stuff like Kreator and Morbid, but none of the characters are very likable and the plot isn't really super compelling.

Twin Peaks S3 - Holy fuck, amazing. I really liked the first two seasons (minus the S2 slump of course) but this was even better for me. Weirder, darker, yet funnier....basically the perfect version of the show as far as I'm concerned. Legendary stuff. Actually soon I might do a rewatch of S1 and S2 since it's been a while since I've seen those, just so I can watch this again.

One Punch Man - This started to lose some steam toward the end but overall a super fun anime that takes a big dump on lots of obnoxious genre tropes and is just totally bonkers.

Into The Badlands - The drama and plotting in this show are super cheesy, kind of reminds me of something like Sons of Anarchy but even dumber. However, it's full of completely over the top martial arts fight scenes and lots of ludicrous gore which totally rules. I was kind of skeptical as to how they'd be able to keep things fresh but I watched the first two seasons and the fight scenes are mostly fun throughout. Campfest!

Star Trek: Discovery - Sorry, but this was pretty goddamn shit I thought. Super un-Treklike. Feels like it's basically Battlestar Galactica meets Game of Thrones in space rather than actual Star Trek. I don't like all the twists and plotting, and I don't like most of the characters. Wtf was that mirror universe shark jump in the second part? Red Letter Media had a fan theory that the flip to another universe during the mid-season break was them actually going to the REGULAR Star Trek universe and that they were in the shitty mirror universe before (which would explain why everything was scheming grimdark shit instead of the spirit of Trek), but of course that's way too clever for a show like this. I'm going to keep watching it because it's the only Trek right now, but mostly fuck this show.

The Expanse - I just started this, but hey, this is really cool so far!

Maybe some other stuff I'm completely forgetting...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:02 am 

Handmaid's Tale has been really good lately. Glad they didn't muck it up too much post-Atwood's written content.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
One Punch Man - This started to lose some steam toward the end but overall a super fun anime that takes a big dump on lots of obnoxious genre tropes and is just totally bonkers.

You might like (the not-live-action) Mob Psycho 100, then--it's written by the same guy, and also spends much of its time turning tropes upside-down. It's got a goofier art style closer to the original author's own, but its action sequences are just as fun and engaging.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 am 

That sounds cool. I completely lost my shit in that one scene early on in One Punch Man when the cyborg guy is going on this long rambling monologue and One Punch Man is just bored out of his mind and it cuts to a montage of a pill bug meandering around, then falling on its back and eventually righting itself before continuing on. Brilliant stuff.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:25 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Twin Peaks S3 - Holy fuck, amazing. I really liked the first two seasons (minus the S2 slump of course) but this was even better for me. Weirder, darker, yet funnier....basically the perfect version of the show as far as I'm concerned. Legendary stuff. Actually soon I might do a rewatch of S1 and S2 since it's been a while since I've seen those, just so I can watch this again.

Yeah The Return is up there with True Detective as the pinnacle of TV for me. It's basically Lynch at his Lynchiest for 18 hours plus Mark Frost doing some really good character writing. I love how it draws heavily upon the previous seasons of Twin Peaks and kind of does a "where are they now" thing with a lot of the characters, despite them not being relevant to the main plot anymore. Very interesting to see how some of them grew and changed, while some of them have kept repeating their old mistakes. The fact that they dispense with typical character arcs, opting for a more realistic open-ended approach, makes the few elements of true closure (such as when you-know-who FINALLY FUCKING get together) incredibly satisfying.

My only real disappointment with the show is that Major Briggs and of course David Bowie passed away before being able to reprise their roles. Bowie had apparently already agreed to do so before his death. But fuck, if you're gonna replace an actor, a giant living teapot is a pretty goddamn memorable way to do it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 pm 

Watching Legion Season 1 now, about halfway through. Much different than Hawley's other show Fargo for sure. This is a really odd, trippy, weird show. First several episodes were pretty slow but engaging anyway. It seems to be trying at a more loose approach to storytelling, just developing these characters over a long period through flashbacks and occasional dialogue scenes and keeping the outer conflict on the backburner for now. Interested to see where it goes. Fucking jawdropping, amazing colors and cinematography too. Just great.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:12 pm 

I finally watched the first season of 13 Reasons Why. I didn't mind it and I wanted closure at the end, but I'm unsure if I'll watch the next season. While enjoyable, I realised all the characters are quite unlikeable. It covers heavy topics of course, and it's good that a show is tackling them, but I think that'll do me.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
toxic fandom

The amount of irony is causing my brain to leak out of my eyeballs.

I take no part in toxic fandom.

There is public toxic fandom, which is a bunch of fucking nerds (and I mean that in the insulting way I grew up hearing the word) spreading around their fandom on the internet and the world in general and generally behaving like they're in a cult. See: Rick & Morty fans versus McDonald's. I love Rick & Morty, but seriously, fuck these guys all the way down.

And there is lazy toxic fandom, swallowing any old thing for any cost just so other nerds can have more of "the thing." See Star Wars fans. The franchise will, I would say with 90% certainty, never again deliver something as good as Empire Strikes Back. Ever. Instead of being a big, impressive, powerful epic story of good vs evil, it's become a largely banal series of unnecessary filler that fans will see repeatedly, regardless of quality, just to have more of it. Some will then transcend this to be the public toxic fandom, such as harassing the woman that played Rose until she's off the internet because... she has ovaries? I guess. I don't know what their fucking deal is. I thought her character was meh, but she doesn't deserve that shit.

The problem with this lazy acceptance of any old garbage is that it gradually depletes the overall quality of the franchise these fans claim to love. We had it in the 90's and 2000's with too much Trek. It was a hot commodity because of TNG's quality and fanfare, DS9 (despite ripping off Babylon 5 to an extent) set some additional high points, and then to continue feeding fans, the franchise ran into Voyager which was across the board dull. Desperate to maintain fans, they started formula tinkering with Enterprise, which turned off a lot of people until the series started turning more into "regular" Trek, but by that point, it was too late, fans had walked away (I wasn't watching it), and Trek vanished for a while.

Sometimes this is fine--a franchise comes back renewed, and that's what we thought we were getting with the Abrams Treks until we saw what steaming piles of shit they were. They're like Michael Bay movies--IN SPACE! Let's all stop pretending JJ Abrams is some sort of fucking auteur, shall we? He's every bit the lowest-common-denominator hack that Michael Bay is. He knows how to fill theater seats with flashy special effects and little else.

The lazy fandom is less publicly embarrassing to general fans, but is arguably more damaging. It's what teaches game developers that they can continue to mistreat audiences with shady practices because fans continue to pay for it just to keep having more of "the thing." It's why microtransactions and loot boxes and pay to win gaming took off--consumers paid for it, because they're irresponsible fans.

I don't consider my fandom toxic. I'm not out there in the streets filling everyone's face with memes, I'm not sending threats to Trek's handlers, and I'm not going to sit here and swallow anything they give me just to have it. I will give it a shot eventually, but I'm in no rush, because of the reasons I'd stated--everything I've thus seen on the show has been the opposite of what Trek was created to be. Maybe my mind will change, and hey, I hope it does. I hope it blows my mind. I hope it's a million times better than the shitty way it looks. But I'm not going to open wide and swallow just because they wrote "star trek" on the dildo. I'm not going to run around with the cult championing in a way that makes other people cringe. I'm not going to be a part of the toxic fandom.

I will be the pretentious fan that I am that who, if disappointed, will say "I'm fucking disappointed" and watch something better.

As soon as I don't have to pay for CBS's streaming service like a grade-A sucker to watch it.

I'm also not going to pay for it to watch the 3rd Twilight Zone revamp when it comes out, and I love the Twilight Zone more than you can imagine. But with each iteration, the series has gradually lost more of what made the franchise special. It peaked with Season 3 of the original series in the 60's. Season 4 is good, and Season 5 does have some strong offerings (Nightmare at 20,000 Feet springs to mind), but season 5 is also quite weak.

----

Additional rant/observation on generational divide of filmmakers:

I have called people like JJ Abrams, Michael Bay, Roland Emmerich, and Zack Snyder hacks for a variety of reasons, but a big one is that they grew up heavily inspired by great filmmakers of the 70's and 80's (Spielberg, Lucas, Carpenter, Cronenberg, Scorsese, Romero, Landis, Dante, etc.), but failed to understand why those guys made such memorable films. They understood the flash and pizzazz and effects-heavy screen dazzle, but failed to understand the heart, soul, character, pacing, atmosphere, and depth that made so many of those films so strong.

Nothing Abrams makes will ever be as memorable or inspiring as anything Spielberg did, despite clearly emulating Spielberg on the surface. Something got lost going from one generation to the next.

But, when I was watching the Twilight Zone movie the last time--a film helmed by several of those 70's and 80's giants (Spielberg, Dante, and Landis were all involved), it donned on me that the generational gap had occurred there, as well. Spielberg's segments focused on how "super scary" the Twilight Zone used to be, which I found odd. The Twilight Zone was not a horror show. For the most part, it was a kind of Science Fiction/Urban Fantasy. It had horror episodes, but it also had comedy and drama episodes, mostly "gotcha" twist storytelling heavy on morality tales and ironies. So to act like it was a horror franchise, to me, was a generational "missing the point." Something I was surprised to come from Spielberg--who'd noted how heavily he studied the episode Little Girl Lost when creating Poltergeist.

Growing up, my mom would complain that a lot of remakes of the 80's had "ruined" many films she grew up with in the 50's and 60's. Stuff like The Thing (From Another World), The Fly, The Blob, etc. Had my favorite filmmakers also missed the point? Carpenter's The Thing did not perform well in theaters, and it was after release on video that the film has grown into a cult phenomenon (and remains one of my all-time top movies) that can be watched and watched time and time again. Frankly, I don't think The Thing ever gets old. The original Thing From Another World (I haven't seen in ages) was lauded for it's direction, acting, and atmosphere in the 60's. I thought the movie was rather silly the one time I watched it, and the creature was referred to as a kind of walking evil vegetable.

How much of this is nostalgia and how much is really a new generation watering down original content? Cronenberg added several layers of both character and ick to The Fly. I think if it had been made by Abrams or Snyder, those layers would be missing, the effects would more in your face, and the CG would be constant. But perhaps this is a continuation of a watering-down that was already started by filmmakers I grew up with and loved.

But I will rewatch Indiana Jones or Star Wars or The Fly or Creepshow or some of those Trek movies repeatedly. I have no desire or interest to watch anything made by Snyder, Abrams, Bay, or Emmerich more than once. How much of that is my nostalgia and how much is that these films were just better? Creepshow, as a side note, perfectly emulated the feel, look, style, and atmosphere of classic Tales from the Crypt (EC horror) comics of the 50's. In that regard, as I am a fan of both, and have delved heavily into both, I think Romero and King perfectly nailed what they were going for there.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:31 pm 

I watched a ton of Snyder films more than once. I absolutely love most of what he's done.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:29 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I watched a ton of Snyder films more than once. I absolutely love most of what he's done.

I don't think I've even watched one of his movies a second time. And I own Watchmen.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 182  Next