Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:42 am 

Northern Chaos gods single is available on iTunes - let me share with you my opinion - it's stormy! I don't know is it "true" Immortal or not but it sounds very wild and more aggressive than All Shall Fall. What do you think about it?

spellstorm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 am 

This song is on YouTube now, too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dygG_OzGDg

Less melodic, more chaotic than Abbath's style, still not Pure Holocaust or anything though Demomaz seems to be looking back in that direction for inspiration at least. These riffs aren't really doing anything for me though.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:49 am 

Looks like I can remove "March of the Norse 2" off my list of things to expect from this one. Not bad but not really grabbing me.

Last edited by Twisted_Psychology on Fri May 11, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 am 

The comments on that video are already funny. Demonaz sounds angry, this is a great start :thumbsup:

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 am 

spellstorm wrote:
This song is on YouTube now, too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dygG_OzGDg

Less melodic, more chaotic than Abbath's style, still not Pure Holocaust or anything though Demomaz seems to be looking back in that direction for inspiration at least. These riffs aren't really doing anything for me though.

Removed. When we get a solid link can we get a thread merge?

EDIT: Weird, have to got through the channel playlist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3Oa66 ... J4XLwf23A4

While not exactly genre defining, I'm surprised to hear it sitting somewhere between what the Demonaz album was and a rawer black metal sound. Based on this track alone, I'd say Demonaz is the better rightful owner to the Immortal name. Interested to hear the rest.

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:33 am 

This fucking rips. I love all Immortal and was bummed to hear about their disputes, but after listening to that I'm excited to hear what the new album brings.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 am 

Yeah this is pretty cool. Not sure what people are upset about, sounds like some classic Immortal shit to me. I dig it!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:14 pm 

This is fuckin incredible. Holy shit, waaaay more aggressive than I was expecting. Sounds like the blizzard is back.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:24 pm 

Totally expected March of the Norse version 2, but very happily surprised this is not that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that album, but even though I've been kind of rooting for Abbath's camp during this whole mess, I couldn't be happier to see Demonaz and Horgh blow him out of the water. This might even result in him trying to one-up them.

Great track, on third listen there's already some background guitar work that I didn't hear in the beginning. Think there's more depth to this track that at first seems to be all bite, and one hell of a bite at that.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:39 pm 

EpicSceptic wrote:
Totally expected March of the Norse version 2, but very happily surprised this is not that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that album, but even though I've been kind of rooting for Abbath's camp during this whole mess, I couldn't be happier to see Demonaz and Horgh blow him out of the water.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded to find myself agreeing 100% with this. I was firmly in the "It's not Immortal without Abbath!" camp, but there's no denying this song is way better than anything on Abbath's solo album. This is a legitimately good Immortal song! The way it begins with full-on blasting honestly reminded me of Battles in the North. It's still really fucking strange and kind of sad to hear an Immortal track without Abbath's vocals, but Demonaz sounds just fine.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:58 pm 

I couldn't open the previous links, but Nuclear Blast has a lyric video up. Fantastic song, fuck Abbath and his lame solo gimmick band.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:27 pm 

While I like Abbath's style (both his late Immortal era and his solo bands), this is what I think of when I hear IMMORTAL. Fucking fantastic song!

It's not the pure blizzard of Pure Holocaust, it's still quite the winter storm!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:59 pm 

I listened twice so far, and I'm pretty damn happy. I've been pulling for Demonaz to comeback to Immortal for like my whole life, never expected it to be without Abbath, but... who's Abbath? I ordered the silver vinyl, only the 2nd physical album I've ordered in 2018 (the other one was Yith) Hail Demonaz!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I listened twice so far, and I'm pretty damn happy. I've been pulling for Demonaz to comeback to Immortal for like my whole life, never expected it to be without Abbath, but... who's Abbath? I ordered the silver vinyl, only the 2nd physical album I've ordered in 2018 (the other one was Yith) Hail Demonaz!
nice!! I ordered the blue one... like it’s frozen. This is actually the first vinyl order of the year. The second will be the new Runemagick.

Upon multiple listens this really is like an 80% return to Battles in the North, with the drumming of Blizzard Beasts and little splashes of Sons of Northern Darkness here and there. It’s just the production that is updated but doesn’t sound overly polished, just razor sharp.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:21 pm 

I guess the guitarist has recovered from his issues? I thought he couldn't play fast metal anymore?

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm 

Fuck Yeah!!! This is the most Immortal track I've ever listened to in years!

ZiePuppet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pm 

Had to finally create an account here to say how fucking good this is,so hyped for the album now,be4 hearing it i was super skeptical about a decent album following the issues.Now im super hypoed

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I guess the guitarist has recovered from his issues? I thought he couldn't play fast metal anymore?

Only for prolonged sessions(Ie: Recording/gigs) It may have got less severe over the last few years.IIRC he has tendinitis

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:16 pm 

I actually got the chills (no pun intended :roll: ) when this song started. Blizzard came rolling in and shows no signs of stopping if the rest of the album is like this. My favorite corpse painted boys are back in town.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 pm 

Wow! This is way, way better than I was expecting.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 pm 

That riff came out the gate like Marduk. Spring season just turned back into winter!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Based on this track alone, I'd say Demonaz is the better rightful owner to the Immortal name. Interested to hear the rest.

Indeed, this seems to be the case. Hopefully the rest of the album is as generally aggressive.

Damn, it's good to hear Immortal again.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 pm 

if those vocals are Demonaz, those are a solid imitation of Abbath.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:55 am 

Really cool! Obviously it owes a lot to bladders in da norrrddd but that's a welcome sonic return.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:29 am 

This rips! Bring on the new album!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:36 am 

Yeah, that fucking ruled. Sounded like Battles in the North but with good drumming and modern production, and the riff itself is nuts. This is exactly what they should be making.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:54 am 

That sounded excellent IMO. Mighty ravendark and lost teenage years return.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:07 am 

that's a furious song, very surprised
i didn't think demonaz was up to this speed and solos etc because of his injury...?
oh well, it's enjoyable and i look forward to the album.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:05 am 

This is way better than anything Abbath (and Immortal for that matter) has done in years. Awesome.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:43 am 

The singer actually sounds.....better?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:10 am 

Subrick wrote:
Yeah, that fucking ruled. Sounded like Battles in the North but with good drumming and modern production, and the riff itself is nuts. This is exactly what they should be making.

By good drumming I assume you mean tight and professional (I won’t deny that this is the best Horgh has sounded, though, I was afraid they’d Abyss him to death). Still Bladders... had fantastic, gripping drumming perfect for its atmosphere.

Honestly, this is the best case scenario; we’ve now got two good bands instead of the somewhat dull All Shall Fall, which was the sound of the band resting on its laurels.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:57 am 

That riff at around 1:20 is bananas. Of course, Horgh's drumming is perfectly insane. I'm into it.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:08 pm 

I'm blown away! Didn't except much since I didn't like the I, Abbath and Demonaz albums. Can't wait to hear the rest! :D

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:23 pm 

Nice guitar tone. Doesn't really need to exist though. Later Immortal is so formulaic.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:22 pm 

Holly shitt that was banging, count me in on the hype.

Last.fm

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:34 pm 

Unholy fuck – this song is awesome. I was also kind of in the Abbath camp but this song has put me to shame. DAMN! :np:

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:54 pm 

Yeah that was really good. I like it more with each subsequent listen. That riff 3 minutes isn't too far removed from At the Heart of Winter and later albums, so they haven't totally abandoned Abbath's style, but overall the song just blazes by. Also, it looks like Northern Chaos Gods is the opener, so I wonder if the rest of the album will follow suit or slow down. And Demonaz's vocals sound great, very fitting! As far as who's the better incarnation, Abbath's solo band or Demonaz's Immortal? I liked Abbath's album plenty and see no reason to not go on listening to both... The more the merrier.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:22 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Yeah that was really good. I like it more with each subsequent listen. That riff 3 minutes isn't too far removed from At the Heart of Winter and later albums, so they haven't totally abandoned Abbath's style, but overall the song just blazes by. Also, it looks like Northern Chaos Gods is the opener, so I wonder if the rest of the album will follow suit or slow down. And Demonaz's vocals sound great, very fitting! As far as who's the better incarnation, Abbath's solo band or Demonaz's Immortal? I liked Abbath's album plenty and see no reason to not go on listening to both... The more the merrier.

If I had to compare the two, this one a) sounds truer to what Immortal is and b) the drumming is definitely better. Abbath’s album felt safe, this feels savage. However I am happy we have both and while I liked Abbath’s album this one track to me is better than anything off that album. Shit I was also in the pro-Abbath camp, but man I cannot deny Immortal sounds way better without the newer Lemmy -isms Abbath adopted.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:31 am 

I've heard the track 3 or 4 times now and I like it. Quite a lot actually :-)
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Malefikant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:08 pm 

Not bad, but also not better than any average Abyss studio BM release from the late 90s (is this called "Norsecore"?). I am not sure if I would have liked this more than "At the Heart of Winter" if released back then.

Vocals are pretty weak in my opinion. Abbath's vocals are as essential like those of Cronos for Venom, if they are not there then it's not the real deal.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:59 am 

What a brutal song! I had a good feeling with this one and I am happy to see that I was right. Anyway, I hope that the album will contain longer and more epic tunes (I´m a great fan of At the Heart), at least 1-2 because a 100% brutal album could be boring IMO.

Loving the vocals, similar to Abbath buy more angry and furious, a great work for sure. Immortal are back!!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next