Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 am 

DMac77 wrote:
Do people hate on Slaughter retroactively because of all the metalcore bands that aped it in the late 90s/early 2000s? I've always seen a lot of vitriol directed to it for "ruining metal" but I love that album. I like Red in the Sky and Burning Darkness as well, but Slaughter is just a nice tight 35 minutes of catchy melodeath.

I find metal fans in general are overly exaggerating about most things (see some repsonses in this thread alone). Not everything has to be the worst ever. I saw the same reaction when Carcass put out Surgical Steel, which to me was fun solid album but others were treating like it was field recordings of monkey sex.

I used to like Slaughter of the Soul but like 99% of the melodic death albums that I used to like, I've grown tired of it. The Red in the Sky is Ours on the other hand, sounds better to me than when I first heard it.

As for the new album; the cover artwork and certain songtitles don't really give me a SotS vibe, but going by the new song I'm afraid we're in for more of it. I hope to be wrong though. Not to mention I don't trust Decibel either. :p

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:45 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
If you have something to contribute, use your words. You've been doing these stupid smiley posts a lot lately and it's really frustrating to people who are here to have an actual discussion.

Ok, then...

true_death wrote:
Yeah, you always have to be a bit wary around Decibel. Their "lead review" is almost always high praise.
It's weird that so much of the promotion is centered on this album being a return to that sound (the pre-order page says it, and Tomas himself has said it) and yet, the song they chose to lead off the album bears no elements of that whatsoever. I suppose it does make one wonder whether or not it's all hype given the fact Red seems to have become more of a "cult classic" in recent years, while Slaughter is viewed more critically compared to the near universal praise it used to get.

zera_p wrote:
At The Gates died many years ago with the inception of the godawful 'Slaughter of the Soul'. A single album that has spawned a whole shitfest of bands trying to copy the same lame style, and boy, did they succeed!

colin040 wrote:
I used to like Slaughter of the Soul but like 99% of the melodic death albums that I used to like, I've grown tired of it. The Red in the Sky is Ours on the other hand, sounds better to me than when I first heard it.
As for the new album; the cover artwork and certain songtitles don't really give me a SotS vibe, but going by the new song I'm afraid we're in for more of it. I hope to be wrong though. Not to mention I don't trust Decibel either. :p

This (which was implied in my roll eyes smiley) and this:

BasqueStorm wrote:
Cause that's the way people sell albums using nostalgia?

It's called marketing. :-P

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:59 am 

Honestly this board is the only place I've come across people who actively hate SotS. I totally get it if it's not your thing, but to actively campaign against it like it's an evil that has brainwashed people is bizarre. Dropping walls of text explaining why it's an abomination unto the world and arguing with everyone who calls is groundbreaking (which is objectively true, btw) is baffling. Not saying that's what's going on in this thread, but it happens pretty frequently around here and I really don't understand it.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:27 pm 

Same here. It's super formulaic at times but its also loaded with some mighty riffing and memorable tunes. Also the songs sounded great live, Under a Serpent Sun in particular

I Can't say the same for the last album and new song

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:50 pm 

I call bullshit on the argument that somehow AtG’s goal with SotS was to “succeed” at creating a legion of shittier bands that ape elements of that album. That’s hardly their fault and not something the album should be judged on. Revisionist bullshit and I call shenanigans.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:23 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Surgical Steel was awesome.

It certainly was. One of my favourite metal albums of the past few years.

I'm quite looking forward to the new ATG. I thought At War With Reality was a decent comeback and the first single from the new record sounds promising.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:11 pm 

Been listening to At War With Reality a lot lately since I'm seeing them this weekend. Definitely a lot better than I remember. Nothing new or groundbreaking, but it's a super solid. I think the initial disappointment has worn off and I can finally hear it with fresh ears.

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:12 pm 

I thought At War With Reality was fine, I don't know what people were expecting. It's a solid comeback album.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:22 am 

Another new track:

I really liked this one, it's kind of similar to the last album but feels a bit more adventurous and unique, definitely a lot darker and heavier too. I do think it sounds closer to "Terminal Spirit Disease" than anything from the Alf the Gates-era (except for maybe the ending), but the riffs do feel a lot more sinister and evil, so I'm satisfied.

Cool video, as well!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:32 am 

Starts like more generic melodic death metal nonsense (even if there's a cool riff appearing at 1:10) but the song does pick up halfway through - definitely darker than I had expected...but I'm still not convinced. If they'd just do entire tracks that sound more grim instead.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:04 pm 

Yup, the cool riff is at 1:10 - definitely has a Red in the Sky tinge. Not overfond of the main riff of this song, despite liking the melodic death approach of the previous song, To Drink from the Night Itself. I like the idea of the long outro, but I'm not crazy about that either. Maybe it's the drumming pattern holding it back? And then that production, well, it's just not very pleasing. Aaaand a minor quibble, the thick reverb on Tomas' vocals lately is bothering me. Now that my complaints are out of the way, I do like the candle flame mimicking the gates logo at the end of the video.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:54 pm 

I really really dig the new song upon multiple listens. It really does sound like they are expanding their sound but in more of a death Metal approach than thrash.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:18 am 

The song is fine, but for me it's the production thats going to ruin this album.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:06 am 

Listening to a new song released today; Daggers of Black Haze. It’s a slower song, but I think that’s it’s pretty damn good. However my thoughts on the production still stands. :-(

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:48 am 

That song actually isn't bad. Far less predictable than the previous two. More moody and blackened sounding than by-the-book melodic death metal.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 pm 

The riffs on the new one are excellent. They're definitely more reminiscent of With Fear... (minus the solo). However, the drums fucking suck. Daniel plays the same damn 3 or 4 beats in every song. It sounds phoned in, and it makes the songs sound so much more boring than they really are.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:36 pm 

SotS was / is a great album. I don't know if there was hate for it back when it was released or if that evolved over time? Never paid attention or cared. My tastes have changed dramatically since I was listening to ATG in any regular capacity so I didn't give the comeback album much of a chance at the time, I will revisist. I listened to the title track of "To Drink" and I dig it, will be checking this one out for sure.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:38 am 

I think the single released yesterday is the worst of the three new tracks so far. It'll be a "good" album but I don't see this making any year end lists.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:25 am 

First single I hated. Second I kinda dug. Latest I'm a bit meh on. So I guess I'm at about 50% enthusiasm about this new album.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:11 pm 

I just listened to the whole album and I have to say I am honestly impressed. It isn't breaking any new ground, but it's a heavy, almost relentless, melodic death metal album. The singles actually didn't do much for me, but hearing them in context of the whole album makes them flow and sound better. The other songs, though, are fucking awesome, especially Palace of the Lepers, and The Chasm. Overall, this is a solid 8/10 and much better than At War With Reality (which was good, but not great). Don't skip this one.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:02 pm 

Off topic, but has anybody heard that The Lurking Fear album that Tompa & Adrian did last year? I honestly never heard anyone talk about it or really acknowledge it at all, but I finally got my hands on it a few days ago and I'm really digging it. It's evil, 80's-styled death metal like a cross between Altars of Madness, Leprosy, and Seven Churches with Lovecraftian lyrics...a good album, and really solid for a supergroup. Tompa sounds a bit rough & hoarse in some places but if people are willing to accept Karl Willets's pathetic & hideous "harsh talking" in Memoriam, fuck it :lol:.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:09 am 

Listening to the album now. Man, that intro made me think of Tiamat's The Astral Sleep. A shame the rest of the album probably won't. :p

EDIT: Yeah this isn't for me. It's not quite as formulaic as Slaughter of the Soul was, but I still get plenty of vibes that rather make me think of that album. There's some more melodic black influences evident on this record as well, which isn't bad, but anyone expecting the ATG's of old shouldn't bother.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:54 am 

colin040 wrote:
Listening to the album now. Man, that intro made me think of Tiamat's The Astral Sleep. A shame the rest of the album probably won't. :p

EDIT: Yeah this isn't for me. It's not quite as formulaic as Slaughter of the Soul was, but I still get plenty of vibes that rather make me think of that album. There's some more melodic black influences evident on this record as well, which isn't bad, but anyone expecting the ATG's of old shouldn't bother.

The album that created the formula can’t be formulaic man.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:43 am 

On my second listen and I can't make out what to think of it. Some parts sound interesting but it feels a bit inconsistent in its presentation, and there are no "wow" moments to be found. It seems to borrow a bit from the melancholic riffs on TSD and from SOTS galloping rhythms with some added dissonances here and there, but I'll need to hear it a few more times to see what impression it really makes.

It does seem more enjoyable than ATWR but that in itself isn't that much of an achievement.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:03 pm 

After one listen, the second half of In Death They Shall Burn is the only "wow" moment that stuck out to me. Gonna give it a few more spins, since the last album finally got upgraded to "pretty good" after a while, but this is definitely a step up overall.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:08 am 

I've been enjoying it, but I gotta say the bonus tracks with Rob Miller (Amebix, Tau Cross) are IMHO superior to the album versions. They should've put those on the album instead just to mix it up a bit.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:28 pm 

It's a good album. Much better than (though very similar to) At War With Reality. However, I still think that the drumming is pedestrian. And kinda slow... often times the double bass is half the speed it feels like it should be for some of the tremlo riffs.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:59 pm 

Pretty good album, definitely sounds like an "evolved" version of At War With Reality. It feels a lot more adventurous and creative, sort of melding the intensity of Slaughter of the Soul with the dark atmosphere and intricate songwriting of With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness. There's some surprises in there too, "The Chasm" is a weird track which combines black metal with a sort of Motorhead-esque energy. Then there's "The Colours of the Beast", which shows some Bolt Thrower influence.

All that said, I agree with the previous poster, about the drums...really weak performance for a man of Adrian's skills. It just feels so uncreative, way too simple and stiff compared to what the rest of the band is doing. Listen to "Daggers of Black Haze"...to think that this is the same guy that performed that ridiculous intro to "Claws of Laughter Dead" is just insane :lol:.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am 

Bought this the other day. Not a big fan of At the Gates either, but decided to give this album a try. Just decent death metal. Nothing special, but it's fine while it's on.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3