Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:36 am 

Sounds a bit different than what I expected. I expected something doomy, sludgy like the direction they took since BGWtB. This sounds more straight up metal/hard rock with thrashy undertones. Overall, it still sounds like Alice in Chains though.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:27 am 

Sounds like a b-side from the last album - lots of similarities after that initial riff. Catchy enough, though. Just sounds like post-Layne AIC/solo Jerry.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:32 am 

It's OK, mediocre and uninspired compared to their early stuff though.

gizzard_puke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 am 

Post-Layne Alice In Chains.

I'm in my angry chair when I listen to this it makes my teeth grind. I hate to feel this way but god smack the rooster that thought it was the real thing. I'm in a sea of sorrow but I just wish they would rest them bones.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:37 am 

Sounded pretty decent but I'm also getting the sense of diminishing returns.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 am 

I really liked Black Gives Way to Blue, but the last album was a disappointment in my opinion.

Also, I bet there is a song on this album with an Em, G, D, C chord progression a la Nutshell, Your Decision, Angel Eyes.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:29 pm 

So it sounds pretty much like a continuation of their The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here sound, and you know what? I'm just fine with that.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:52 pm 

gizzard_puke wrote:

I'm in my angry chair when I listen to this it makes my teeth grind. I hate to feel this way but god smack the rooster that thought it was the real thing. I'm in a sea of sorrow but I just wish they would rest them bones.

heh, but no, black gives ways to blue is one of the best comeback albums ever. No one expected it to be remotely good without Layne, turned out to be freaking awesome. Last album wasn't bad either, Hollow is their best video to date.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:33 pm 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
So it sounds pretty much like a continuation of their The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here sound, and you know what? I'm just fine with that.

Me too, I’m a little disappointed in the productions though as I liked the bassier sludgy heaviness on The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. Still I have confidence this will be quality.

gizzard_puke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:11 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
gizzard_puke wrote:

heh, but no, black gives ways to blue is one of the best comeback albums ever. No one expected it to be remotely good without Layne, turned out to be freaking awesome. Last album wasn't bad either, Hollow is their best video to date.

I get that you like the newer stuff and that's great but I don't consider it to be AiC... IMO of course

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:43 am 

gizzard_puke wrote:
blackmantram wrote:

I get that you like the newer stuff and that's great but I don't consider it to be AiC... IMO of course

Majority of the fans love the reincarnated AiC. Only a few crybabies I've came across on YouTube and social medias whine "Layne this, Layne that." And you might have noticed that both the post-Staley era albums here on M-A have an average score of more or less 90%.
Secondly, Jerry Cantrell is the soul of Alice in Chains. Layne was an integral part no doubt. But overall, Cantrell's Sabbath influenced but definitely distinguishable riffing, phrasing and songwriting make AiC special.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:51 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Majority of the fans love the reincarnated AiC. Only a few crybabies I've came across on YouTube and social medias whine "Layne this, Layne that." And you might have noticed that both the post-Staley era albums here on M-A have an average score of more or less 90%.
Secondly, Jerry Cantrell is the soul of Alice in Chains. Layne was an integral part no doubt. But overall, Cantrell's Sabbath influenced but definitely distinguishable riffing, phrasing and songwriting make AiC special.

I would agree with much of this. I also think the core of AiC was always Jerry Cantrell. Its his riffing and his harmonizing the vocals that really separated AiC from every other band. Layne was good but not essential. I think they showed that with Black Gives Way to Blue. One of my favourite records of the genre ever. It's not just good for a comeback it holds its own to anything pre-comeback in my opinion.

That said I never liked the follow up and the new song was boring to me. Claiming the band isn't AiC is ridiculous however.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:37 pm 

IDK, I liked it a lot. It's got that old AiC to me, but I always preferred AiC's stuff when they were brushing up more against heavy metal as opposed to the sludgier stuff.

DMac77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:52 pm 

I love Dirt, I love Black Gives Way to Blue. I agree with the posters above that Cantrell is AiC. I think some people just get hung up on the romanticizing of Staley with his early death and drug issues. Not saying he wasn't great, but the band wouldn't be what it is without Cantrell.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:11 pm 

At first, I couldn't really get into the song. Now, a couple of listens later, I'm digging it a bit. But I have this feeling that it will work better in the context of the album than on its own. Still, I agree, Cantrell IS AiC, and it's good he still keeps the band going.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:33 am 

^Yep. It's definitely a grower. It has got all the signature traits of AiC wrapped together. The low-end metal thud of the main riff (although not as strong as most of the Cantrell riffs), exquisite vocal harmonies in the chorus and the really mellow, trippy bridge section.

Last.fm

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:55 am 

Yeah definitely on repeated listens it got much better, pretty excited for this!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 am 

Quote:
heh, but no, black gives ways to blue is one of the best comeback albums ever. No one expected it to be remotely good without Layne, turned out to be freaking awesome. Last album wasn't bad either, Hollow is their best video to date

Layne was as big of a part of AIC as Jerry was.

It has worked out in some ways for them, but it is not what it used to be.

Layne was what made AIC special.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:26 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Quote:
heh, but no, black gives ways to blue is one of the best comeback albums ever. No one expected it to be remotely good without Layne, turned out to be freaking awesome. Last album wasn't bad either, Hollow is their best video to date

The two comeback albums prove that's incorrect.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:54 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Quote:

Is that why Mad Season didn't sound like AiC whatsoever? Sounded like Pearl Jam/Neo-Zeppelin with Layne Staley on vocals. While Jerry Cantrell's solo albums are more akin to the dark, moody, Sabbath-influenced metallic sound of Alice in Chains?

Last.fm

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:36 am 

Quote:

TDPDH didn't prove that is incorrect.

They put out a real good album and a turd IMHO since Layne.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 am 

Quote:

Is that why Mad Season didn't sound like AiC whatsoever? Sounded like Pearl Jam/Neo-Zeppelin with Layne Staley on vocals. While Jerry Cantrell's solo albums are more akin to the dark, moody, Sabbath-influenced metallic sound of Alice in Chains?

You do have a point with the solo Jerry albums. A lot of the Mad Season sound I blame on the Pearl Jam band mates, but Layne did not push the "AIC" sound.

I am a Jerry Cantrell fan and loved Boggy Depot when it came out, but Layne Staley and his voice meant as much to me as Jerry's guitar playing. Layne's inflections on his voice are what made them stand out to me. In my opinion, you put another vocalist in there and you lose the personality that Layne brought. Plus, all the lyrical imagery he brought to the songs is now no longer there.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:05 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Quote:

TDPDH didn't prove that is incorrect.

They put out a real good album and a turd IMHO since Layne.

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here isn't as good as the previous one but it's still a pretty darn good album.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm 

gizzard_puke wrote:

Really thankful that it's not your call to make then.

New song sounds cool, but a little underwhelming. I wanna hear some more crushers like Stone or Phantom Limb.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:11 pm 

Layne was losing his voice towards the end though and honestly the choruses for AiC haven’t change much sonically. I loved Layne too but there’s no point in rehashing anything like having him now would’ve made a difference. His voice would probably be garbage.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:11 pm 

Huh, I really loved the last two albums they put out but this song is garbage. Really wasn't expecting that. What the hell is that riff?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:49 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
What the hell is that riff?

Simple but effective. Cantrell's always been that way. Stuff like Man in the Box, Check My Brain, Stone are quite easy to play but really memorable riffs which complement the overall songwriting. It also leaves a lot of space for intricate layerings and licks he executes on most of the AiC stuff. Rain When I Die, Frogs, Acid Bubble etc. are prime examples.

Last.fm

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:18 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Huh, I really loved the last two albums they put out but this song is garbage. Really wasn't expecting that. What the hell is that riff?

Honestly I started out that way too, but give it a few listens and it might stick. It did with me, would I love an absolute stomper like Stone for a single? Yes but I’m sure there will be those tracks on the album.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:58 am 

Cantrell is able to write very good riffs and catchy refrains, but Staley was his complementary part both musically and vocally. I feel like there's something missing in todays AiC, although I still like them. Anyway they sound better than most of the stuff out there so I'm waiting for the full album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:58 pm 

The 'no Layne, no AIC' attitude is fucking stupid. Cantrell was always a huge part of the band and has kept the identity of this sound going for years now after Layne passed. It's unfair to give them the shaft because of Layne's death.

New song's pretty good. Fucking crushing main riff; I actually dig it a lot. A bit safe for them, but I am hoping there will be more ambitious stuff on the album.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:10 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The 'no Layne, no AIC' attitude is fucking stupid. Cantrell was always a huge part of the band and has kept the identity of this sound going for years now after Layne passed. It's unfair to give them the shaft because of Layne's death.

New song's pretty good. Fucking crushing main riff; I actually dig it a lot. A bit safe for them, but I am hoping there will be more ambitious stuff on the album.

I'm pretty sure no one here said, or meant that. I know I didn't and said I loved Black Gives Way to Blue.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:16 pm 

It's an attitude that pops up every now and again. A guy literally just said 'Layne was what made them special,' which I disagree with.

I didn't love the last album but it was still solid. And it was definitely an AIC album. Almost like a greatest hits type thing of the elements of their sound.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:23 pm 

Eh, Layne made the Layne-era albums special, but I don't feel the post-Layne era isn't special just because Layne isn't the singer.

I still think of it as two separate discographies within the band though; I don't think the DuVall era is all that comparable to what the band did with Staley.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:41 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's an attitude that pops up every now and again. A guy literally just said 'Layne was what made them special,' which I disagree with.

I didn't love the last album but it was still solid. And it was definitely an AIC album. Almost like a greatest hits type thing of the elements of their sound.

That was me that said that about Layne and I still do believe Layne is what made them special. His unique vocal delivery is what made them stand out during that era IMO.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:59 pm 

As lame as it sounds, I think the biggest concern with post-Layne Alice in Chains is that the band just isn't sad anymore. Jerry Cantrell's guitar tone and riffing style are the most important elements of Alice in Chains, but Layne's voice is what made them the most miserable rock band in existence. The overwhelming emotion in the vocal performance is what makes Dirt and the self-titled album among others sound so distraught. Black Gives Way to Blue has remnants of that sadness but that's likely due to it being so fixated on Layne's passing. I think the band more or less got the demons out of their system with that album, which is why The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here doesn't hit as hard as its predecessors. They'll still be a great band as long as they still keep providing excellent riffs and hooks, but they'll never be anything more than vaguely melancholic ever again.

That said, Layne's voice would sound like ass if he was alive today, even if he had managed to get clean.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:26 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
As lame as it sounds, I think the biggest concern with post-Layne Alice in Chains is that the band just isn't sad anymore. Jerry Cantrell's guitar tone and riffing style are the most important elements of Alice in Chains, but Layne's voice is what made them the most miserable rock band in existence. The overwhelming emotion in the vocal performance is what makes Dirt and the self-titled album among others sound so distraught. Black Gives Way to Blue has remnants of that sadness but that's likely due to it being so fixated on Layne's passing. I think the band more or less got the demons out of their system with that album, which is why The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here doesn't hit as hard as its predecessors. They'll still be a great band as long as they still keep providing excellent riffs and hooks, but they'll never be anything more than vaguely melancholic ever again.

That said, Layne's voice would sound like ass if he was alive today, even if he had managed to get clean.

Hahah!

That made me laugh out loud.

Also, I agree with that statement and being a depressed teenager definitely helped my love of AIC.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:51 pm 

I disagree that it was solely Layne that made them the most miserable rock band in existence. Sure, he was a big part of it, but hell, they don't sound happy on TDPDH. I mean, stuff like "Choke" is far from uplifting. Although, in terms of raw sadness (lol at that as a phrase), I highly, highly doubt they'll match Jar of Flies or the s/t, and they were both done with Layne, so maybe you're right.

And I don't think Jerry's guitar work is exactly happy in tone, either, so that's a key element too.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:28 pm 

New single is up for "So Far Under".

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:22 pm 

Not blown away but I liked it. Kinda reminds me of the self-titled. The descending riff is pretty neat.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:42 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... Fog/721546

Apparently this is it - interesting album title.

Liked the second single alright. Doubt this will blow me away, but there is definitely something to these songs that I enjoy more than the previous album... they just sound slightly more involved, better written, I dunno, even if they're not dissimilar in style.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next