Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:05 am 

Yes, it's that time of the year again! The Stanley Cup playoffs are going to start this Wednesday. Even though my favorite team, the Ottawa Senators, haven't made the playoffs and had a quite miserable season, I will watch the playoffs from a neutral point of view and I must say that several duels look really promising. Here are my predictions for the first round.

Eastern Conference:

Tampa Bay Lightning VS New Jersey Devils: Lightning in five

The New Jersey Devils have been surprisingly good this season which is mostly due to an absolutely outstanding Taylor Hall. If the team continues its reconstruction around this star player, great things will be ahead in a few years. The Tampa Bay Lightning have been solid all season and have a lot of depth and are the clear favorites here. I could see the New Jersey Devils win a home game but everything else but a Floridean domination would be a huge surprise. I would say Tampa Bay will win the series in five games.

Boston Bruins VS Toronto Maple Leafs: Bruins in seven

This is going to be a really brutal, intense and tight duel between the only Original Six teams in the playoffs this year. The Toronto Maple Leafs still haven't forgotten about the bitter loss in game seven of the series five years ago and will do everything to have their revenge. The Boston Bruins have found a great balance between experienced veterans and quick youngsters. This duel is probably the toughest to predict. Given their cohesion, experience and spirit, I would favor the Boston Bruins winning this series in seven games again. Toronto will be traumatized.

Washington Capitals VS Columbus Blue Jackets: Capitals in five

Columbus Blue Jackets head coach John Tortorella is always in for a surprise and the things he has accomplished with his current team are absolutely outstanding. However, the Columbus Blue Jackets have been losing some steam over the final few weeks of the regular season in my book. The same thing can't be said about the Washington Capitals who have played absolutely outstanding regular seasons for four years in a row. However, the Washington Capitals never got past the second round of the playoffs in the past few years. I think the Washington Capitals are the best NHL team that hasn't won a Stanley Cup so far. Maybe they have learned from their past experiences and will be more solid this time around. Since they are on quite a run right now, I expect them to win this series in five games.

Pittsburgh Penguins VS Philadelphia Flyers: Penguins in five

The battle of Pennsylvania is going to be intense between two teams which have a big rivalry. I expect plenty of dirty fights, hits and provocations of all sorts. Getting inside their opponents' head is also the only chance the Philadelphia Flyers have to win this series. They had a solid season offensively but still struggle defensively. The Pittsburgh Penguins have won two Stanley Cups in a row and seem to be insatiable. With their cohesion, experience and will, it would be a miracle if they didn't win this series. I predict the Pittsburgh Penguins to win this series in five games.

Western Conference:

Nashville Predators VS Colorado Avalanche: Predators in five

The Colorado Avalanche have surprised just as much in the Western Conference this year as the New Jersey Devils have in the Eastern Conference. The team around Nathan MacKinnon is going through a rebuilding process and yet the team has played a season above expectations, especially offensively. However, I can't see the underdog beating the Nashville Predators who won the Presidents' Trophy for best team of the regular season this year. The team from Tennessee seems to be even stronger than last season and they already made it to the Stanley Cup Finals last year. I expect them to win this series in five games.

Winnipeg Jets VS Minnesota Wild: Jets in four

The Winnipeg Jets were a joy to watch all season long. The young team is creative, dynamic and efficient, especially offensively and its only weak spot might be the goal-tending which was still solid this season. This team has a bright future ahead and the present already looks extremely promising. The Minnesota Wild had a solid season without any fireworks. I could see the red hot Jets run over the Wild in only four games. These guys are on fire!

Vegas Golden Knights VS Los Angeles Kings: Kings in six

Who would have thought that the expansion team from the desert of Nevada would be among the best teams and make the playoffs in its first year of existence? Even initially skeptical hockey fans are now praising this team's accomplishments and one has to point out the outstanding work of the general manager and the head coach who have put together a team that gives everything it has every single game. When is this astonishing Cinderella story coming to an end? I believe the time has come in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The Los Angeles Kings have made some great transactions before the deadline in late February and have an impressive roster with very experienced players that will smart out Vegas Golden Knights' ambitions and energy. I think the Los Angeles Kings are going to win this series in six games.

Anaheim Ducks VS San Jose Sharks: Ducks in seven

This is a very difficult series to predict. The Anaheim Ducks had a slow start of the season with a few injuries but have quickened up the pace towards the end of the season. The San Jose Sharks have been more consistent and have made a few interesting transactions but haven't been entirely convincing this season and have an aging core of key players as well. Right now, the trend seems to be in favor of the Anaheim Ducks. I could see the series going all the way to game seven but predict that the Anaheim Ducks are going to win.

These are my predictions of the first round but I must admit that I was often wrong last season and my hockey pools of the regular season this year were also rather underwhelming to say the least. Maybe I have more luck this time around.

If I had to predict the Stanley Cup Finals, I would predict a duel between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Winnipeg Jets and guess that the Tampa Bay Lightning would win the Stanley Cup this year. Let's wait and see.

What do you think? What are your predictions of the 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs?

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:37 am 

All aboard that Golden Knights train baby! Do what no other major sports franchise has ever done!

Last FM

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 am 

^ They'll come close, but I'm tagging Nashville for Stanley Cup champion, after taking out Vegas in the Conference final. I also feel this will finally be the year the Capitals squash Pittsburgh in the second round. They will then pop Boston to be the East's entrant in the Cup final. Sorry, Ovechkin, but it looks like at least one more year of still being The Greatest Player Who Hasn't Won the Cup. Fingers crossed for him in the future :)

Altogether, I'm picking these:

Nashville 4 Colorado 1 New Jersey 4 Tampa Bay 3
Las Vegas 4 Los Angeles 2. Washington 4 Columbus 0
Winnipeg 4 Minnesota 0. Pittsburgh 4 Philadelphia 1
San Jose 4 Anaheim 2. Boston 4 Toronto 2

Nashville 4 Winnipeg 3. Boston 4 New Jersey 1
Las Vegas 4 San Jose 1. Washington 4 Pittsburgh 3

Nashville 4 Las Vegas 3. Washington 4 Boston 3

Nashville 4 Washington 2
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:03 am 

EA Sports NHL18 playoff simulator picks the Winnipeg Jets:
https://www.nhl.com/news/winnipeg-wins- ... =287339198

I'd be happy with that!

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:31 am 

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Tampa Bay Lightning (1st in Atlantic Division) vs. New Jersey Devils (2nd Eastern Conference wild card)
Tampa Bay have been predicted by many to win the Stanley Cup while the New Jersey Devils, who finished last in the Eastern Conference last year, surprised everybody by making the playoffs this year. The New Jersey Devils have a team whose players mostly have minimal playoff experience (their top player, Taylor Hall, is making his first ever playoff appearance), and considering they were expected by virtually no one to make the playoffs this season, the team also has minimal expectations in the post-season. However, New Jersey did win all three regular season games against Tampa Bay, so they do have that in their favor. New Jersey and Tampa Bay have met twice in the playoffs, back in 2003 and 2007, with New Jersey winning both times (winning the Stanley Cup in the former year).

Prediction: Tampa Bay in five games.

Washington Capitals (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (1st Eastern Conference wild card)
Once again, the Washington Capitals finished first in the Metropolitan Division. However, despite many great regular season finishes in the Alex Ovechkin-era of the team, that has not translated to playoff success. Despite the fact that Ovechkin is considered one of the best (some may even say the best) player of the past dozen years, he has yet to take the Capitals beyond the second round of the playoffs. The Columbus Blue Jackets, who have qualified for the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the first time in franchise history, have yet to win a playoff series. The Capitals won three of the four regular season matchups against the Blue Jackets. This marks the first ever playoff meeting between Washington and Columbus.

Prediction: Washington in six games.

Boston Bruins (2nd in Atlantic Division) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (3rd in Atlantic Division)
The Boston Bruins were neck and neck with the Tampa Bay Lightning for most of the 2017-18 campaign for the Atlantic Division lead. They face the Toronto Maple Leafs in the opening round of the playoffs. The two teams last met in the playoffs back in 2013, when Boston won in seven games. The Maple Leafs made it to the post-season in back to back seasons for the first time since 2002-03 and 2003-04. They have not won a playoff series since 2004. Boston's last time advancing beyond the first round was in 2014.

Prediction: Boston in four games.

Pittsburgh Penguins (2nd in Metropolitan Division) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (3rd in Metropolitan Division)
The Pittsburgh Penguins hope to be the first time to win three consecutive Stanley Cups since the New York Islanders won four in a row from 1980 until 1983. They face their Pennsylvania rivals, the Philadelphia Flyers, in the opening round. The two teams played in what many considered to be the most exciting playoff series in the 2010s back in 2012, a series the Flyers won in six games. The Flyers have not advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since then, missing the playoffs three times and losing in the first round once. Pittsburgh won all four regular season meetings against the Flyers.

Prediction: Pittsburgh in seven games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Nashville Predators (1st in Central Division) vs. Colorado Avalanche (2nd Western Conference wild card)
Last season, the Nashville Predators had the second Western Conference wild card seed, but stunned the hockey world by upsetting the Chicago Blackhawks (who had finished first in the Western Conference) in four straight (the Blackhawks failed to even make the playoffs this season). The Colorado Avalanche, who finished last in the NHL in 2016-17, locked up their first playoff berth since 2014 on their last game of the regular season this year. They did it largely on the fantastic play of Nathan MacKinnon, who is getting Hart Trophy consideration. This marks the first time the Predators and Avalanche have met in the playoffs.

Prediction: Nashville in five games.

Vegas Golden Knights (1st in Pacific Division) vs. Los Angeles Kings (1st Western Conference wild card)
The Vegas Golden Knights amazed the hockey world by making the playoffs in their inaugural season. Even more amazing is that they have home ice advantage in their first ever playoff series. They will face the Los Angeles Kings, a team who has won two Stanley Cups this decade. Vegas goaltender Marc-André Fleury has won three Stanley Cups with Pittsburgh, but he was only the starting goaltender for one of the Cup winning games. This will no doubt be considered one of the most exciting first round matchups.

Prediction: Los Angeles in seven games.

Winnipeg Jets (2nd in Central Division) vs. Minnesota Wild (3rd in Central Division)
The Winnipeg Jets had their best regular season in franchise history, and head to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time in three years. They are considered to be the best hope in bringing the Stanley Cup back to Canada. To do it, they face the Minnesota Wild, a team with more playoff experience. The Jets have not won a series in their franchise history, and hope to erase that this time around. While they are coming off of their best regular season in franchise history, the drawback for the Jets is the lack of playoff experience the players have. The Wild are making their sixth consecutive appearance in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but have not advanced beyond the first round since 2015. Winnipeg had the best record at home during the regular season, while Minnesota had the second best. This marks the first ever playoff matchup between Minnesota and Winnipeg.

Prediction: Winnipeg in seven games.

Anaheim Ducks (2nd in Pacific Division) vs. San Jose Sharks (3rd in Pacific Division)
The Sharks and Ducks meet in the playoffs for the first time since 2009. Anaheim played much better hockey down the stretch, winning 10 of their last 12, while San Jose stumbled a bit, only winning one of their last six games. San Jose did, however, win the regular season series against Anaheim, winning three of the four games. Ducks goaltender John Gibson was injured late in the season, but is expected to return. Still, the Ducks have done just fine without him.

Prediction: Anaheim in seven games.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:31 pm 

LOL Flyers.

Last FM

EvilIncarnate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:53 am 

My team (Rangers) are out but I'm pulling for Vegas. It would be amazing if they won the Cup their first season.

kluseba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am 

The games were great last night. The Flyers should be ashamed. I hope the coach wakes his team up in a very rough way. Those who continue to underperform should be replaced by rookies from the American hockey league.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm 

Go Bruins!!!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:57 pm 

Somar wrote:
Go Bruins!!!

Best looking group we've had since 2013, I have a feeling we could make it to the ECF this year for sure! Lots of great teams this year though, it'll be tough.

ECF: Washington v. Tampa Bay (I'd say Boston could interchange with Tampa here, if they meet in the semis it'll truly be a toss-up)
WCF: Winnipeg v. Los Angeles

I think Winnipeg gets past Nashville in the second round, and beats LA to get to the SCF. I'm not truly confident in any particular team coming out of the East. Pittsburgh is a safe choice given their recent success, but I really think Philly is gonna hand them an upset. Washington always looks good, but...they're the Caps. Aside from my team, I'd love to see New Jersey make a deep run solely because Taylor Hall has been absolutely CRUSHING this year.

EDIT: Welllllllll it looks like Winnipeg will have to go thru Vegas to get to the SCF, not LA...and Columbus stole home ice from Washington soooooo :lol:

Last edited by Dragunov on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 am 

Columbus takes both games on the road in overtime! Could it be, the Washington Crapitals are at it again?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:40 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Could it be, the Washington Crapitals are at it again?

I sure hope so...I still think this series goes at least six games, though. Would love to see Columbus advance!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:23 pm 

I haven't watched hockey all year. However, I do own NHL 18, so let's see what The Oracle says!

ROUND 1
WESTERN CONFERENCE
Nashville VS Colorado: The President's winners manage to stretch the series out as best they can, but ultimately Colorado overwhelms them with sheer offensive firepower. Rinne puts up a dismal .885 SV% against Varlamov's .934, and Nashville gets outscored 20-13. Landeskog and Nieto both net 4 goals and Mackinnon walks away with 7 points, meanwhile the top +/- players for Nashville are a three way tie with 1. Colorado in 6

Winnipeg VS Minnesota: The Winnyminny series is not even fucking close. Minnesota gets shut out twice and scores a whopping three goals against Hellebuyck's inhuman .975. Easy sweep, Winnipeg walks into the second round without breaking a sweat. Winnipeg in 4

Las Vegas VS Los Angeles: Vegas continues their Cinderella Season with an electrifying series, going the distance and being decided with a Game 7 OT victory, the third OT game of the series. With scoring spread out pretty evenly, they just put up too much for Quick to handle, with 23 goals to LA's 15. Adam Tuch is in a three way tie for the lead in points of all players to make it out of the first round with 8. Las Vegas in 7

Anaheim VS San Jose: Another seven game series, and while Anaheim lead the scoring 21-18, they fall short to the Sharks. Goalies were nearly identical, with Jones putting up .918 and Gibson .917. It seems there was a shutout at some point (I didn't pay attention to this series during the simulation) and that must've been the difference, idk. San Jose in 7

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Tampa Bay VS New Jersey: Joysey jumped out to a 2 game lead, unsurprisingly thanks to Hall scoring 4, but ultimately fell in 7 to the Bolts. It seems to have been close, with both goalies posting a .930 SV% and allowing 14 goals (Schneider posts one shutout while Vasilevskiy tallies two). Ultimately you just can't stifle the Stammer, as his 8 points sits in the three way tie as Tampa takes it in 7. Tampa Bay in 7

Boston VS Toronto: Rask only lets in 9 goals as Boston takes it in 6. At this point I realize I'm doing way too much work and don't care about checking the stats in a post nobody will read. Boston in 6

Washington VS Columbus: Well the Crapitals do it again and fall in the first round, though they at least put up enough of a fight to take it the distance. Ovie tallies 1 goal and 5 assists but it's not enough, as Columbus squeaks by. I'm not even interested in most of the stats, because I'm too busy loling myself into oblivion that they can't even win in Videogame Land. Columbus in 7

Pittsburgh VS Philadelphia: The threepeat comes to a close, and Ghost rounds out the three way points tie with 8. Kessel and Malkin actually have the most points with 10 and 9 respectively, but Murray let them down and dropped the series in 7. Suck it, fuckbois. Philadelphia in 7

ROUND 2
WESTERN CONFERENCE
Winnipeg VS Colorado: Good god, can they be stopped?? The stats are harder to calculate from this point onwards because they're cumulative for all rounds but Hellebuyck is rolling with a .962, allowing only 6 goals in another sweep. Jesus fuck. Winnipeg in 4

Las Vegas VS San Jose: Vegas keeps themselves alive, and are apparently fucking scoring machines because the top four players in points in the playoffs are all Vegas, Marchessault with 17, Tuch with 16, and Neal and Karlsson with 15. The next matchup is going to be immense, yikes. Las Vegas in 7

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Tampa Bay VS Boston: Stammer puts up a measly one point as Tampa gets rolled by the Bruins. I don't care about the rest of the stats, this is harder than I thought it'd be. All that matters is Boston in 5

Philadelphia VS Columbus: Times have definitely changed since I was last able to watch hockey with any regularity, because here I am reporting that Columbus is on their way to the ECF after toppling the Giant Killers in an OT filled series. Columbus in 6

CONFERENCE FINALS
WESTERN CONFERENCE
Winnipeg VS Las Vegas: The immovable wall versus the unstoppable force finally comes to fruition. Well Winny definitely must've let the domination get to their heads, because Vegas took the first two and ultimately jumped out to a 3-1 series lead. Unfortunately, the storybook ending isn't going to happen. Hellebuyck keeps his SV% monstrous at .950 and leads the Jets to the SCF in a seven game series. Winnipeg has only lost three games. Winnipeg in 7

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Boston VS Columbus: Columbus reclaims their rightful place on the golf course as they get spanked in five games. Marchand is currently in the lead for all active players in both goals (9) and points (15), though seven of the top ten are from Vegas still. Boston has only lost four games. Boston in 5

STANLEY. FUCKING. CUP.
Boston VS Winnipeg: I simulate the first three games, Winnipeg goes up 3-0. There's no fucking way. I simulate the fourth game up until the last two minutes, where it is tied 1-1, and I intervene and just watch the CPUs battle it out from the bench. Sure enough, Ehler beats Rask low stick side with 26 seconds left in regulation to seal the deal, and Winnipeg wins the Stanley Cup in a sweep, their third of the playoffs. I must've missed something crazy in the first few games, because the points leader at the end of the whole deal wound up actually being Blake Wheeler, with 22. To the surprise of nobody, Connor Hellebuyck wins the Conn Smythe, posting a 1.79 GAA with a .939 SV%. Lord Stanely finally goes home, as the playoffs end with Winnipeg in 4
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:45 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Columbus takes both games on the road in overtime! Could it be, the Washington Crapitals are at it again?

I always say never to pick Washington to get past the second round, no matter how good they are in the regular season. This year, it doesn't look like they'll get past the first, having dropped the first two at home.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:25 am 

And the Kings just got the good old sweep from the newcomers.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I haven't watched hockey all year. However, I do own NHL 18, so let's see what The Oracle says!

ROUND 1
WESTERN CONFERENCE
Nashville VS Colorado: The President's winners manage to stretch the series out as best they can, but ultimately Colorado overwhelms them with sheer offensive firepower. Rinne puts up a dismal .885 SV% against Varlamov's .934, and Nashville gets outscored 20-13. Landeskog and Nieto both net 4 goals and Mackinnon walks away with 7 points, meanwhile the top +/- players for Nashville are a three way tie with 1. Colorado in 6

Winnipeg VS Minnesota: The Winnyminny series is not even fucking close. Minnesota gets shut out twice and scores a whopping three goals against Hellebuyck's inhuman .975. Easy sweep, Winnipeg walks into the second round without breaking a sweat. Winnipeg in 4

Las Vegas VS Los Angeles: Vegas continues their Cinderella Season with an electrifying series, going the distance and being decided with a Game 7 OT victory, the third OT game of the series. With scoring spread out pretty evenly, they just put up too much for Quick to handle, with 23 goals to LA's 15. Adam Tuch is in a three way tie for the lead in points of all players to make it out of the first round with 8. Las Vegas in 7

Anaheim VS San Jose: Another seven game series, and while Anaheim lead the scoring 21-18, they fall short to the Sharks. Goalies were nearly identical, with Jones putting up .918 and Gibson .917. It seems there was a shutout at some point (I didn't pay attention to this series during the simulation) and that must've been the difference, idk. San Jose in 7

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Tampa Bay VS New Jersey: Joysey jumped out to a 2 game lead, unsurprisingly thanks to Hall scoring 4, but ultimately fell in 7 to the Bolts. It seems to have been close, with both goalies posting a .930 SV% and allowing 14 goals (Schneider posts one shutout while Vasilevskiy tallies two). Ultimately you just can't stifle the Stammer, as his 8 points sits in the three way tie as Tampa takes it in 7. Tampa Bay in 7

Boston VS Toronto: Rask only lets in 9 goals as Boston takes it in 6. At this point I realize I'm doing way too much work and don't care about checking the stats in a post nobody will read. Boston in 6

Washington VS Columbus: Well the Crapitals do it again and fall in the first round, though they at least put up enough of a fight to take it the distance. Ovie tallies 1 goal and 5 assists but it's not enough, as Columbus squeaks by. I'm not even interested in most of the stats, because I'm too busy loling myself into oblivion that they can't even win in Videogame Land. Columbus in 7

Pittsburgh VS Philadelphia: The threepeat comes to a close, and Ghost rounds out the three way points tie with 8. Kessel and Malkin actually have the most points with 10 and 9 respectively, but Murray let them down and dropped the series in 7. Suck it, fuckbois. Philadelphia in 7

ROUND 2
WESTERN CONFERENCE
Winnipeg VS Colorado: Good god, can they be stopped?? The stats are harder to calculate from this point onwards because they're cumulative for all rounds but Hellebuyck is rolling with a .962, allowing only 6 goals in another sweep. Jesus fuck. Winnipeg in 4

Las Vegas VS San Jose: Vegas keeps themselves alive, and are apparently fucking scoring machines because the top four players in points in the playoffs are all Vegas, Marchessault with 17, Tuch with 16, and Neal and Karlsson with 15. The next matchup is going to be immense, yikes. Las Vegas in 7

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Tampa Bay VS Boston: Stammer puts up a measly one point as Tampa gets rolled by the Bruins. I don't care about the rest of the stats, this is harder than I thought it'd be. All that matters is Boston in 5

Philadelphia VS Columbus: Times have definitely changed since I was last able to watch hockey with any regularity, because here I am reporting that Columbus is on their way to the ECF after toppling the Giant Killers in an OT filled series. Columbus in 6

CONFERENCE FINALS
WESTERN CONFERENCE
Winnipeg VS Las Vegas: The immovable wall versus the unstoppable force finally comes to fruition. Well Winny definitely must've let the domination get to their heads, because Vegas took the first two and ultimately jumped out to a 3-1 series lead. Unfortunately, the storybook ending isn't going to happen. Hellebuyck keeps his SV% monstrous at .950 and leads the Jets to the SCF in a seven game series. Winnipeg has only lost three games. Winnipeg in 7

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Boston VS Columbus: Columbus reclaims their rightful place on the golf course as they get spanked in five games. Marchand is currently in the lead for all active players in both goals (9) and points (15), though seven of the top ten are from Vegas still. Boston has only lost four games. Boston in 5

STANLEY. FUCKING. CUP.
Boston VS Winnipeg: I simulate the first three games, Winnipeg goes up 3-0. There's no fucking way. I simulate the fourth game up until the last two minutes, where it is tied 1-1, and I intervene and just watch the CPUs battle it out from the bench. Sure enough, Ehler beats Rask low stick side with 26 seconds left in regulation to seal the deal, and Winnipeg wins the Stanley Cup in a sweep, their third of the playoffs. I must've missed something crazy in the first few games, because the points leader at the end of the whole deal wound up actually being Blake Wheeler, with 22. To the surprise of nobody, Connor Hellebuyck wins the Conn Smythe, posting a 1.79 GAA with a .939 SV%. Lord Stanely finally goes home, as the playoffs end with Winnipeg in 4

Kool!!

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:39 pm 

Required Fields wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

I always say never to pick Washington to get past the second round, no matter how good they are in the regular season. This year, it doesn't look like they'll get past the first, having dropped the first two at home.

I was ready to give up hope after that game 2, and game 3 was not exactly inspiring, but my god they just stomped the Jackets in game 4, and just like that the series is tied and they have the momentum.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 pm 

NICE!! Leafs get a game 7 against Boston. Fredrickson is a beast of a goalie.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:08 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
NICE!! Leafs get a game 7 against Boston. Fredrickson is a beast of a goalie.

*Andersen

And yes, Freddie has put on one hell of a goaltending display! I'm a huge Bruins fan so it kinda sucks, but his play (along with the entire Leafs' team) has been great fun to watch in the "how the FUCK did he save that" kinda way. Also, huge credit to Mike Babcock here, I think the last two wins were great showcases of X's and O's and Cassidy simply getting outcoached. Game 7 tonight should be entertaining!

Last edited by Dragunov on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kluseba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 pm 

Frederik Andersen is a much overestimated goaltender. The Leafs aren't going to win the Stanley Cup with such a goaltender. He was terrible last night. He is overall just not very consistent. I must say, the series between Toronto and Boston was amazing to watch and as a Sens fan I'm obviously happy about the outcome but there seem to be great times ahead for the Leafs. I hope the only remaining Canadian team, the Winnipeg Jets, are going all in now!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:58 pm 

kluseba wrote:
I hope the only remaining Canadian team, the Winnipeg Jets, are going all in now!

I have them at least making it to the SCF this year. Honestly, I think this semifinal between them and Nashville will be the best series of the entire playoffs.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:40 pm 

Little late but the Leafs blowout in 7 was a little heartbreaking and because of that game Gardiner is enemy #1 which I think is BS. He didn't play well but he doesn't deserve the backlash he is getting I mean Anderson was absolute shit that game compared to the two previous. Leafs fans can be as petty as Sens fans sometimes :wink: But overall that series was a great ride and until the third period it was anyones guess who would win. That said, and I am not a fan, but I am keeping a close eye on the Golden Knights because for a first year ride they are killing it, might even make history happen in the end.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:59 pm 

V E G A S
E
G
A
S

Last FM

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:27 am 

That was probably the most lethargic elimination game I'v eever seen, but still I'm happy to be right about this:
Quote:
I also feel this will finally be the year the Capitals squash Pittsburgh in the second round.

Nothing against dynasties per se, except that Pittsburgh went through Ottawa last year (and other times) :grr:

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:21 am 

I'm glad Washington won, but only because I get to root for Tampa against them...if the Pens forced 7 and eventually won, I'd really be curious to see if they could threepeat. What a series that's gonna be, eh? Just the prospect of having Stamkos healthy this far into the year is something to be excited about.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:26 pm 

I just think it would be sad if Alex Ovechkin, who has a decent chance to become the #1 goal scorer of all time, doesn't win the Stanley Cup. What more can he do? The numbers prove that he steps up his game, with his playoff production routinely equal or better than his season output; yet every year when the Crapitals fail, it's his fault. Bullshit! Even Ovechkin can't be expected to score 3-4 goals a game to make up for Washington's blueline being in the hands of Brooks Orpik and the Seven Dwarfs.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm 

Ovi just needs two shots vodka and an auto from Eastern Motors and he'll be alright.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Even Ovechkin can't be expected to score 3-4 goals a game to make up for Washington's blueline being in the hands of Brooks Orpik and the Seven Dwarfs.

The defense has actually been just fine this postseason ever since Trotz did the right thing and benched Jerabek for Djoos. Even Orpik can be more-or-less serviceable when he has a speedy young D partner.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:09 am 

I predict Vegas over Winnipeg and Tampa Bay over Washington, both in seven games.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:01 pm 

Well... with Winnipeg's loss, Canada must go another year without bringing the Stanley Cup home. That said, if anyone had to crush a nation's dreams, I'm glad it's that band of unwanted castoffs pulling off a miracle in Las Vegas.

Reply to topic