Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 pm 

Since I didn't saw any, I thought it would be good to have a Punk, crust and hardcore discussion. Some of the bands you think are interesting. Recently I have listened to quite a few punk bands, much more than metal. Mostly bands form the 80s but also some from the 70s and the 90s as well. The guitar tones on some of those album are really great.

I like the old exploited album. With what is happening right now in the USA, I have been listening a lot to the song: ''f..k the USA''. I really like ''punks not dead'' and ''troops of Tomorrow''. But I don't know much beyond that.

I also like the band The Adicts.

The stiffs whom later became the Subhumans from Vancouver. Overkill made a cover of their song ''f..k You''

The casualties. I don't know much about them but they have some good tracks.

the Damned

Anti-Nowhere League

G.B.H.

The Varukers

While I searched for GISM, I found out that japanese punk compilation

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:41 pm 

I like crust and hardcore punk. Minor Threat, Agnostoc Front, Doom, Cro Mags and Extreme Noise Terror are some of the bands I enjoy.

Atomization - Spotify

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 pm 

I'm a huge fan o GG Allin

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:42 pm 

No matter how old I get, I'll always remember seeing Toxic Narcotic at one of their last gigs.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 pm 

^Nice!
I used to hang around with the Toxic gang back in 1990-91 since the band I was in had a room near their practice space. Toxic Bill was cool, and we'd get into long talks about metal, grindcore and industrial music while getting drunk. He looked more like Syd Barret in those days. I still have their first two cassette demos he gave me (which aren't good indicators of their overall sound).

Last time I hung out with him was at a Melvins show in late 1994. We hadn't seen each other in a year, thus we started buying each other shots and catching up on things. Just my luck, I fucking blacked out right before the Melvins went on stage. :durr:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:00 am 

It was 2003 at the youth center in my town. They also played with John Wayne's Severed Head and some other local band. They broke the PA and I was bummed they didn't play "People Suck" or "Cockroach." Mouth Sewn Shut became the primary project soon after, IIRC.

darkeningday wrote:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:47 pm 

I was really into all of that stuff for a while. Basically, anything fast, violent and aggressive did it for me, whether the bands were aligned with the punk scene or the metal one. I was really into MDC, Septic Death, Jerry's Kids, Minor Threat, Bad Brains- all the great US bands. From the UK scene I gravitated more towards Discharge and Extreme Noise Terror and some of those bands- and of course GBH; they were one of those bands I would crank almost endlessly in my car when I was driving around delivering pizza.

And yeah, I read Maximum Rock N' Roll, I liked the music, and was always looking for new bands to check out. Heck, they even did interviews in there with Carcass, Mindrot, and the Lewd (Metal Church's first band) at one time or other. As a long haired metal head in California in the late 80's/early 1990s, I remember that while the metal gigs were tolerant, and even welcoming, of the punks, it was not as much the other way around. When we went to punk gigs, it wasn't like they actually started trouble with us, but they did make it clear they weren't exactly thrilled with us being there; it was not a friendly vibe.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 am 

very much into various forms of hardcore although crust is my biggest love but i also have to mention powerviolence and screamo.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 pm 

I'm pretty picky with my punk as I like a little bit of musicianship. Stuff like Turbonegro and Black Flag and The Generators are the kinda stuff that I'm into.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:12 pm 

saw wolfbrigade for the 4th time or something last weekend and it was awesome as always

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 pm 

Surprised by how recent this thread is.
But yeah, recently just been splurging on hardcore stuff and alternating between extreme metal and punk. Lots of Sick Of It All, Biohazard, Agnostic Front, but also Discharge, GBH, Extreme Noise Terror, Napalm Death, Amebix, Doom (recently got my hands on a copy of the vinyl split between Doom and No Security and it's so good). Got into Dead Kennedys and Misfits around the same time I was getting into Priest and the Big 4, and got into The Sex Pistols around the same time as Maiden prior to that, so I've never really had much separation between metal and punk really, (or industrial for that matter, Killing Joke for instance cover a lot of ground). But I also like Fugazi, Orchid, Circle Takes The Square, Pg. 99, City of Caterpillar. Listening to Darkthrone and seeing/hearing Fenriz go on about stuff has helped me see a lot of crust in black metal too and got me into stuff like Aus-Rotten, Wolfbrigade, Totalitär, Skitsystem, Anti Cimex.
As far as seeing punk bands goes. I saw The Damned support Motörhead with Bosshoss opening. I saw CJ Ramone on his American Beauty tour at a local pub. Then unless you're counting Wednesday 13, Murderdolls or the aforementioned Killing Joke, that's probably about it?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:53 pm 

I'm so punk rock Jerry Only flipped me off once in Long Beach.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:46 am 

preorders for the fall of efrafa cd boxset are up
https://doomrock.com/music/cd/928/fall- ... -elil-inle

i didnt own any records yet so couldnt resist and preordered it.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:01 pm 

A few punk song inspired by what's happening right now in the USA

A good cover of ''California Uber Alles'' of Dead Kennedy apply named ''Donald Trump Über Alles'' Performed by Audiorage.

Nazi Trumps Fuck Off - Dead Cross ft. Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys cover)

OI POLLOI - DONALD TRUMP F..K YOU

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:16 am 

I think about 90% of all punk bands and nearly 100% of crust groups suck. It gets much better with hardcore of all schools (except metalcore, which is a joke for the most part).
No thread like this should ever come without a mention of how spectacular Unbroken's "Life.love.regret" album is. I feel like I'm still discovering new layers and depths to it. Does anyone know anything that sounds similar to these guys?

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 pm 

I am into punk n' roll about as much as I am into metal. Bandcamp is treasure trove of the stuff. Listening to Puffball as we speak. Sweet motorcharged stuff here.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:51 am 

I was high as hell the other day and decided I need to find Jamaican d beat bands. Does anyone know any?

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:59 am 

I've been getting back into crust punk recently. As much as I love bands like Amebix, Dystopia, and (early) Phobia, Filth Of Mankind has really been hitting the spot lately. From Poland, these guys were just fantastic and they created what I think is one of the best crust tracks I've ever come across:

The build-up in the first 1:50 let's you know you're in for an audible ass-kicking.

They've also put all of their material up for free download on their bandcamp page: https://filthofmankind.bandcamp.com

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:22 am 

filth of mankind is a long time fave of mine when it comes to stenchcore

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 am 

I used to listen a lot to this album a few years ago. ''Govinda'' by Agni Hotra.

It's linked to ''Krishnacore'' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishnacore, a type of hardcore punk movement inspired by Hare Krishna tradition. Cro Mag were a part of that movement as well.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:42 am 

Can we talk about how Fat Mike's jokes about the Vegas shooting is exposing how complacent punk is nowadays?

darkeningday wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:25 pm 

a long time ago, I would hang out or tour with hardcore/crust bands, or book shows for them. I was impressed by how they were happy to play squats or small "community centres", amicably decide the order they'd play in on the day, and sell t-shirts for like £5, when the quality (and number of colours used) was the same as the t-shirts metal bands sold for £10-15, the same bands who insisted on "pro" venues when they could pull 10 ppl (at best) and would pull rank and make support bands cut sets short, etc. hardcore bands were happy to sleep on floors, go without showering for days (cringe) and were sincerely grateful for a pot of beans or pasta, where metal bands would bitch if you only gave them £10 buyout...

then I started getting (free) CDs where diy bands were now signed to major labels and had shoe brands under endorsements, and the allure was lost :D

these days things have evened out, and metal bands sport diy ethics and are happy to tour "on the cheap", but they still want more money for t-shirts. well, at least I get them for free :)

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 pm 

A compilation of Brazil 80's PunkCore. In the same years of early Sarcofago.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:53 pm 

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:45 pm 

An ex member of The Casualties, Jorge, is a convicted rapist on a number of accounts and then some that didn't go to trial. He left the band. Fuck them for not breaking up after that.

Rape isn't very punk rock and neither is supporting rapists.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:38 am 

well yeah but he is an EX member. I presume they kicked him out of the band, or at least, cut all ties with him.

I admit this puts the band in a difficult spot. I would tend to give the rest of them the benefit of the doubt; just because one disgraced ex-member was a really bad dude, that does not mean the rest of the band were rapists by proxy, or that they supported or even tacitly endorsed his actions.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:57 am 

iAm wrote:
Rape isn't very punk rock
Tell that to The Mentors!

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:25 pm 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
iAm wrote:
Rape isn't very punk rock
Tell that to The Mentors!

Maybe on a dark humoristic level, someone could find it funny. But I on an other level, in real life it's not funny. If they are really serious about it on a real life level, it's their choices. But they have to suffer the consequences of those choices. People have the right to be against that. Maybe it's in the nature of chaotic punk music so it's a part of it but there's other parts of the chaos of punk that's really against that and those peole have the right to say that rapists should be banned of punk. Punk or not, fuck this guy.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 pm 

Shut up

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:16 pm 

Shut up

I have a feeling you will soon be stricken from the history of this site.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 pm 

Anti cimex, one of the first Swedish hardcore punk band. really good

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:23 am 

Of course you didn't post Raped Ass!

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:45 am 

Of course you didn't post Raped Ass!

Why didn't you post it instead of complaining? Why not sharing us punk bands that you like?

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:14 pm 

listening to the Death metal/hardcore/punk/powerviolence band Nails got me into powerviolence. Siege, Heresy, Lack of Interest, Orchid, Spazz, No Comment, ACxDC etc. love that shit.
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:38 pm 

I'm not sure this warranted its own thread, so I'll post it here. Converge have a new EP out called Beautiful Ruin, comprised of 4 of the 5 tracks from the sessions of The Dusk In Us (the last one, 'Eve', is found on the 'I Can Tell You All About Pain' single.)

https://pitchfork.com/news/converge-release-new-ep-beautiful-ruin-listen/

Cover art:

Spoiler: show

I know this is basically an outtake compilation but when speaking about The Dusk In Us, Kurt stated that the track listing on the album is a compromise that no one is really happy with, because they couldn't agree on what songs were too weak to make the cut and which ones were strong. Hence to his mind (and probably others in the band) this material is some of the strongest of those sessions.

Make of that what you will. IMO Converge are consistently excellent and these songs are no exception. Bit disappointed 'Eve' isn't on here since it's incredible, but i suppose that 7 minute goliath doesn't fit in with these much shorter and faster songs.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:48 pm 

some french punk/oi from the 80s.

I have always liked this song: ''l'apparence'' by the band Skinkorps.

Komntern sect

R.A.S.

Collabos

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:39 pm 

a few Punk bands from Quebec

Banlieue rouge

Grimskunk

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:55 am 

i was listening to Ictus - imperivm for the first time in a while today, man that album is still a total banger. Also spanish neocrust man.... so much good stuff.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:50 pm 

I have just discovered Rudimentary Peni in the Nuit Noire thread. A good band. More a harcore punk band at the beginning but turned more and more into gothic and deathrock direction.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:00 pm 

Gang Green anyone?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next