Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 pm 

But if you are expecting metal you are in for a disappointment.

----------

Former former KAMELOT singer Roy Khan (full name: Roy Sætre Khantatat) has released his first-ever solo song called "For All". The track, which was written by Khan, was recorded at Stable Studios in Oslo, Norway in March 2018 and features Roy on vocals, piano and keyboards alongside Leif Johansen on fretless bass and Geir Olav Akselsen on all guitars.

After his departure from KAMELOT seven years ago, Khan, who is a devout Christian, joined a church in the coastal town of Moss, Norway. As an employee of Moss Frikirke, Khan worked with the youth, mainly with the choir and the skaters of the village. Roy stopped working at the church in September 2016, but is reportedly still living and working in Moss.

Khan announced his exit from KAMELOT in April 2011 after taking several months off to recover from a "burnout." He explained in a statement at the time: "I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough, they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with KAMELOT). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales, they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; it is finished."

When asked whether religion played a role in Khan's decision to leave the band, KAMELOT guitarist Thomas Youngblood said in a 2011 interview: "I know that there is a religious aspect to it that I can't really 100 percent explain. The religious aspect is something that I wanna let him to kind of talk about, but I know that he had been going to religion classes for whatever reason. Obviously, over the years of working together, being at times best friends and things like that, we have discussed all kind of topics about religion, so it's actually very surprising to me that this is where we are at now with him. But really, I don't really want to talk too much more about it because that's really something I think that he should come out about, in terms of what he believes or doesn't believe or whatever."

KAMELOT officially announced Tommy Karevik as its new lead singer in June 2012. The Florida-based band has recorded three albums so far with the Swedish vocalist: 2012's "Silverthorn", 2015's "Haven" and "The Shadow Theory", which will arrive this Friday, April 6.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:05 pm 

Cool. Talented guy.

If you're listening to Kamelot expecting metal, you're already in for a disappointment.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 pm 

Well that sounded sappy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
If you're listening to Kamelot expecting metal, you're already in for a disappointment.

Not really. They had several albums that are easily some of the best of their genre.

That was actually really beautiful. What a fucking talent he is.

lordzikon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:25 pm 

For some reason this remains me of Memento Mori (well the piano parts), awesome to hear him sing again.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm 

I loved Conception as well!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:40 pm 

It's a pleasant listen and it's nice to hear him singing again. I don't think it'd really be up my alley but it still would be nifty to see a full-length album from him.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Not really. They had several albums that are easily some of the best of their genre.

Which genre would that be? Metal requires riffs.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:46 pm 

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:03 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Which genre would that be? Metal requires riffs.

You appreciate music based on genre guidelines? :D

"Metal" hardly means anything; Judas Priest used to denounce metal, to arrive at their current "metal gods"-worthy trivial commercial effort.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:39 pm 

_flow wrote:
"Metal" hardly means anything; Judas Priest used to denounce metal

Only Halford denounced metal, I've never heard the others do that and don't think they ever did.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:57 pm 

"I like to think we're more than a heavy metal band. We've gone a lot further. We're always trying to expand musically." - Tipton
http://www.kkdowning.net/pictography/sc ... orship.htm

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:05 pm 

_flow wrote:
"I like to think we're more than a heavy metal band. We've gone a lot further. We're always trying to expand musically." - Tipton

I don't know, that doesn't sound too negative to me but I see your point. Thanks for the link.

Even Black Sabbath was "more than metal" at times.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:20 pm 

If his return doesn't include Tore Østby, I'm not interested!

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:32 pm 

I've heard Ozzy disliked the term; don't know where Halford has denounced it (ops, was it around his coming-out).

It's extremely vague to me to be a term, it's but a metaphor, unless understood very restrictively.
It seems "heavy metal" had predominantly negative connotations in the 70s, hence all musicians (like Tipton) tried to distance themselves from the notion. I don't know when precisely it came to have all positive connotations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_met ... #Etymology

Quote:
In 1979, lead New York Times popular music critic John Rockwell described what he called "heavy-metal rock" as "brutally aggressive music played mostly for minds clouded by drugs",[100] and, in a different article, as "a crude exaggeration of rock basics that appeals to white teenagers

Quote:
The 1983 Rolling Stone encyclopedia entry begins, "Australian heavy-metal band AC/DC".[173] Rock historian Clinton Walker writes, "Calling AC/DC a heavy metal band in the seventies was as inaccurate as it is today.... [They] were a rock 'n' roll band that just happened to be heavy enough for metal".[174] The issue is not only one of shifting definitions, but also a persistent distinction between musical style and audience identification: Ian Christe describes how the band "became the stepping-stone that led huge numbers of hard rock fans into heavy metal perdition".[175]

In certain cases, there is little debate. After Black Sabbath, the next major example is Britain's Judas Priest, which debuted with Rocka Rolla in 1974. In Christe's description,

"Black Sabbath's audience was...left to scavenge for sounds with similar impact. By the mid-1970s, heavy metal aesthetic could be spotted, like a mythical beast, in the moody bass and complex dual guitars of Thin Lizzy, in the stagecraft of Alice Cooper, in the sizzling guitar and showy vocals of Queen, and in the thundering medieval questions of Rainbow.... Judas Priest arrived to unify and amplify these diverse highlights from hard rock's sonic palette. For the first time, heavy metal became a true genre unto itself."

Back to Kamelot, aren't they a pretty plain example of operatic/symphonic metal. Saw them on the Ghost Opera tour. They were fine - I like March of Mephisto, Nights of Arabia, Ghost Opera... not a fan of the genre at all and not familiar with Kamelot, but it was very pleasant; without Khan, the poignancy was gone.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:41 pm 

he still sounds fantastic, but this is definitely not something i'd listen to. too overtly jesus for me and i'm just not a religious person anymore.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:42 pm 

I really liked that. Khan sounds excellent here, and far more in his element than he did on 'Poetry....' He's doing Christian music a service, that's for sure; Lord knows it needs all the help it can get, since the old 'classical' masters of sacred music are long gone. I hope a full-length follows and we get Khan/Youngblood or Khan/Oestby.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:03 am 

That dude can make anything sound good. He's got a great voice and I'm glad he's using it for something.

Like your reviews?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:09 am 

_flow wrote:

Oh fuck off. That article is from 1977.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:08 am 

Sounds nice.

Or better than Kiske's solo albums, at least.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:34 am 

@Terri23
Need you swear at me?

I was actually gonna write to "Temple Of Blood". A Glenn interview where he keeps reiterating "we're heavy metal", "BUT we evolve", he always has to add. You must have seen it, but it's hilarious every time. :D

Start from 11:40

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:09 pm 

Roy Khan resurfaces and we're talking about Judas Priest? I liked that single quite a bit. Reminds me of his Kamelot ballads, actually - Silent Goddess, Glory, Wander, etc. - it's not too far from those. And it still retains his signature dark tinge despite the lyrical content. I'm perpetually awestruck by Khan's voice, so this is tremendous news that he's recording and releasing music again. I hope there's more to come.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:31 pm 

I wonder what he was making in Kamelot. Do those guys have to have day jobs?

Doors of Stone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:41 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I wonder what he was making in Kamelot. Do those guys have to have day jobs?

As far as I know, they do except for Thomas. Not sure about their new drummer though. Tommy works as a firefighter in Stockholm, Oliver as music producer, and teacher with guitar and keyboard and Sean installs fire alarms.

Back on topic, the song is nice. Religious lyrics or not, and Roy's vocals are still great. He definitely sounds better on the new song than he does on Poetry. Not that he sounded bad there, but this is better.

Also, there is this unconfirmed rumor floating around that Conception are about to make a comeback. It's based on a photo and a short video that can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/ConceptionFanpage/

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 am 

Now that's something I'd be interested in. Even to just see the band live would be quite something.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:08 pm 

Somewhat off topic, I've seen so many people compare Sunburst's singer to Roy but I don't hear it. Am I missing something? The guitarist obviously overdosed on Nevermore/Jeff Loomis but the singer strikes me as generic but good at what he does.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm 

He definitely has the same phrasing as Roy.
I'd be very surprised if he isn't a huge fan of him.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:05 pm 

I thought that Innosense singer sounds quite a bit like Roy Khan. Shame that the band sucks, though.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:51 pm 

When he's not trying to sound like Nils K. Rue with those harmonized falsettos, Sunburst's singer does sound quite a bit like Khan there. Mostly in the lower register and his phrasing, as Opus points out. Vibrato is not as strong though.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:38 pm 

Wow, that Sunburst song was really good! I hear some similarities between that singer and Khan, mainly in the lower register, but this guy has a much coarser voice, and sounds mostly like Nils K. Rue, as mentioned.

That guitarist really impressed me too, not just for his technical skill, but for his choice of notes and phrasing.

Thanks for sharing!

Reply to topic