Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:27 pm 

Anyone getting Ni No Kuni II? The first one was one of my favorite RPGs since the SNES era.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Uh, I'm pretty sure DS1 looks a lot better than DS2. Like, almost objectively so. I like DS2 a lot, but it has many areas that just look kinda crappy, with low quality textures and lots of muddled, dull colours. By contrast, the only zones I remember looking shitty in DS1 were the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, and that was mainly because of the eye-searing glow of the lava than anything else.

Demon's Souls also looks pretty good to me, but it's starting to show its age in comparison to the newer entries in the series.

I disagree. DS2 definitely looks better overall, but it's more visually inconsistent so it might give this impression. It has some really drab, even legit ugly areas, such as Harvest Valley and Shaded Ruins, and it has a bit too many drab empty square rooms with little going on (a lot of the hidden bonfire rooms are just that, an empty square room with bare walls and nothing else, e.g Drangleic bonfire before the two Dragonriders, or the hidden bonfire in Shulva before Elana).

But its best-looking areas, are better-looking than the best of DS1, IMO. Heide's Tower, No Man's Wharf, the Iron Keep, Shrine of Amana, Dragon Aerie + Dragon Shrine, Brume Tower are good examples of that. In DS1, only Anor Londo, New Londo and Ash Lake made me go "wow". DS2 also has the superior lighting engine (especially with the excellent dynamic lighting from the torch, it's actually better than Bloodborne's or DS3's), and it has things like better skyboxes overall, cloth/cape physics (fuck yeah), and better particle and spell effects. And it also ran at a better framerate even on the PS3, though, being a From game, it still dipped because of course it did. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:08 pm 

I'm stoked to play Dark Souls 1 for the first time when it comes out for Switch in May. Does anyone who's played it know how different the "Remaster" will be? I imagine they'll tweak some stuff in addition to updating the graphics, but I don't think much has been said along those lines. I also understand weapon arts from Dark Souls 3 aren't in the first two games. Is there something sort of similar?

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 pm 

There's nothing like weapon arts in 1 and 2. Those games have no mana bar; rather, they've got a Vancian-ish casting system.

The closest thing are the weapons that have a special effect that depletes the weapon's durability, but those are rare.

DS2 has power-stancing, which is the coolest thing in the whole series, and I really miss in 3.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:19 am 

Cynical wrote:
DS2 has power-stancing, which is the coolest thing in the whole series, and I really miss in 3.

You're not wrong.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:19 am 

Really pumped about this DS1 remaster. Considering how much game play I got out of DS3 and DS2, both the vanilla game and Scholar, this promises to be goddamn epic. Can't wait!

In addition, I've finished The Witcher 3 (with both expansions) and am now finally playing The Frozen Wilds of Horizon : Zero Dawn, and I've come to realize just how much I loved this game. The new machines in this DLC are no joke, especially the daemonic scorchers. Bloody tough beasties. Sooo good :nods:

My collection

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:25 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Uh, I'm pretty sure DS1 looks a lot better than DS2. Like, almost objectively so. I like DS2 a lot, but it has many areas that just look kinda crappy, with low quality textures and lots of muddled, dull colours. By contrast, the only zones I remember looking shitty in DS1 were the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, and that was mainly because of the eye-searing glow of the lava than anything else.

Demon's Souls also looks pretty good to me, but it's starting to show its age in comparison to the newer entries in the series.

*well argued bit*

Uh. Maybe it's because I haven't played either DS1 or 2 in a while then, because yeah, I do remember the first one lookin better overall. Maybe it's just rose coloured glasses then.

Hmmm. What a good excuse to replay them both! :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:35 pm 

Vordt was fun. Just a handful of tries. Getting that Dark Axe from the mimic chest helped. I hate using it but I can't deny the damage right now. Just hate the way it looks and the moveset does nothing for me. The warcry effect is fun though.

Is the lothric knight sword worth building towards this early? I would need about 4 more dex, and then it's way less damage than the axe. But I know the range is stupid and it can get silly with some upgrading and dex scaling. Thinking it's probably better to just hold on to for later? Curious what you guys advise.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 pm 

I'm not sure about the regular Lothric sword, but the Lothric great sword is a beast when upgraded; it can do some immense damage at +10, as it does extra lightning damage by default and can be imbued with a gem to buff it even more.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:17 am 

Lothric UGS is my pride and joy weapon. Seriously stupid amounts of damage and the weapon art is glorious when you nail it on an invader.

Lothric straight sword seems like a legit weapon Jonpo, and I've always wanted to do a build myself around this sword. Scales with DEX from memory and can be stupidly lethal with the right infusion, but I think it also benefits from faith? Unfortunately I've never used it :lol:

My collection

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:02 am 

Picked up Burnout Paradise Remastered for the PS4. I wasn't a huge fan of this game the first time around (my ex-girlfriend owned it, I think), but I miss Burnout so fucking much, I was happy to snag it. The racing, speed, and control is great, classic Burnout. The missing crash mode annoys me. The thing that makes it difficult, though, is the open-world aspect of the racing, which makes it nearly impossible to simply learn tracks and get better at them.

Burnout Revenge was the absolute peak of the franchise in this regard, and had that one been remastered, I'd have probably picked up again. I'd hope this Paradise remaster inspires EA to finally make more of these again, but I don't expect they will. They mostly bought Criterion to kill off the primary competition against Need for Speed, which has always been inferior to Burnout.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Lothric UGS is my pride and joy weapon. Seriously stupid amounts of damage and the weapon art is glorious when you nail it on an invader.

Lothric straight sword seems like a legit weapon Jonpo, and I've always wanted to do a build myself around this sword. Scales with DEX from memory and can be stupidly lethal with the right infusion, but I think it also benefits from faith? Unfortunately I've never used it :lol:

I ended up doing it just for fun! Pumped my DEX to 18 and upgraded the LSS to +2. It's still way weaker than the axe but I prefer it against groups of weaker mobs.

Sarkhasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 am 

Opened Pandora's box for myself by picking up Darkest Dungeon again on Switch, and for my mate by letting him have a go on it.
Pissing away hours at a time sending poor doomed sods off to die for loot.

I'm contemplating getting the Shadow of the Colossus remake. I'm fairly sure I still know exactly how to kill all 16 of them so there'll be no challenge, but it would be nice to replay an old favourite with prettier graphics.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:20 pm 

The GIFs and random AI shenanigans coming out of Far Cry 5 are pretty great, and in-line with what Far Cry has always been about. It seems to be shaping up to be quite an awesome game... unless you read Polygon's review, in which they considered it to be failure because "it doesn't address the current sociopolitical climate around guns and the opioid crisis." Do they even know what franchise they're playing? They continue to be the laughing stock of the enthusiast press. :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:59 am 

Weird, I've seen a lot more whining from the alt-right calling it, "kill Christian white straight males, the video game." Might actually pick this game up! (but probably not)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Weird, I've seen a lot more whining from the alt-right calling it, "kill Christian white straight males, the video game." Might actually pick this game up! (but probably not)

I've never played a Farcry game, this kinda makes me want to play it :lol: but I just bought Ni No Kuni "Don't kill anything, let's just all be friends, the video game" and still playing Monster Hunter with friends so prolly gonna have to wait on Farcry.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:42 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Weird, I've seen a lot more whining from the alt-right calling it, "kill Christian white straight males, the video game." Might actually pick this game up!

It's none of the things 90% of people are claiming it to be. In reality it's just another solid Far Cry game, perfectly fine if you're a fan of previous installments.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 am 

rexxz wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
Weird, I've seen a lot more whining from the alt-right calling it, "kill Christian white straight males, the video game." Might actually pick this game up!

It's none of the things 90% of people are claiming it to be. In reality it's just another solid Far Cry game, perfectly fine if you're a fan of previous installments.

There is a chunk of "Escape from Trump Country" to it, and it heavily parodies a lot of things that have come to define Trump supporters. Unhealthy love of guns, rampant fear of government, fervent adoption of conspiracy theories, survivalist mentality, insane religiosity.

Also, there are black people in the cult, so it's not just "kill the Christian white straight males," you also get to kill the black people that wanted to hang with Montana Christian Nazis.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:41 am 

Those aspects of the game are so extremely minor in comparison to how people are talking about it. It's just another Farcry game, every single one of them has groups of violent, fucked up border-line cult people and terrorists. This time it happens to be homegrown. So yeah like I said, more of the same.

Last edited by rexxz on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:46 am 

I grabbed a cheap, used copy of For Honor on PS4 last night. I caught a little bit of gameplay on YouTube and the swordplay mechanics looked fun and interesting to me. I played for a few hours online last night, mostly getting my shit rocked but I still had a ton of fun. Loving the Orochi class, a quick samurai assassin who relies on dodges, feints, and range-awareness.

I'm banking on it being a fun, light-hearted counterpoint to DSIII and Bloodborne. I haven't played anything online that wasn't Rocket League in a really long time, and the casual competitiveness is rad. Any of you guys into it? Favorite classes? Moves? Glory/horror stories?

My favorite moment last night came when I had an isolated duel going on in the midst of a 4v4 battle. I was honest-to-god winning and felt so confident, had my opponent down to very low HP while I was sitting pretty comfy. There was a bit of distance between us, and I'm just waiting for an opening to finish them...out of NOWHERE a giant teammate bullrushes him from off-camera, picks him up, and dumps him off a fucking cliff like it was nothing. I couldn't stop laughing.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:30 pm 

Has anyone played Celeste? Looks pretty cool.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:30 pm 

I'm close to the end of Darkest Dungeon, and I'm finding it hard to want to play it anymore. The implementation of the Courtyard DLC really reduces the variety in the game by jamming those obnoxious enemies in every dungeon. The "Epic" length quests in the Courtyard are also a colossal slog.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:50 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I'm close to the end of Darkest Dungeon, and I'm finding it hard to want to play it anymore. The implementation of the Courtyard DLC really reduces the variety in the game by jamming those obnoxious enemies in every dungeon. The "Epic" length quests in the Courtyard are also a colossal slog.

I hear you. Only thing I liked about the Courtyard was the Flagellant, everything else was seemingly designed to be boring/annoying. Oh and fuck the Fanatic. Worst boss in the whole game, including Wilbur.

Do you know if the shieldbreaker DLC is any good?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:46 pm 

For Honors multiplayer is stupid fun. Played for about 6 hours today and I want more. Dominion/Tribute games are the most fun outside of duels.

None of you fools play this shit? Best sword fighting game ever. Its like someone made a game I've always dreamed of. Orochi/Peacekeeper main so far.

Bleed is so fun, especially with Shaman. God damn it feels good to leave someone to die while you go capture an objective.

Edit #26: This is my life now.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 am 

Best sword fighting game ever?

Better than Dark Souls?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:59 am 

Uh it's not even really close man. Dark Souls is a much better single-player game, better atmosphere, lore, all that. Let me make that clear. For Honor is Call of Duty with bladed weapons. The way they implemented the swordplay mechanics is just...breathtaking to me. It's perfect. I mostly play 4v4 Domination, and 1v1 duels. The classes are OBSESSIVELY fun, especially when you find your style. I'm possessed by the 'assassin' style classes, especially anything that can inflict bleed. Shaman and Nobushi are my jam right now.

When you get them bleeding with the Shaman class you enter a 'blood trance' so every time you hit them it heals your health back. ALSO, you can tackle them to the ground and bite out their throat causing massive damage to them and a large heal for you. I killed so many people with this move last night.

The learning curve is a little steep since it's been out for a year but I've had it less than a week and I already feel competent. Obviously I run into players who are better than me, but even when I lose I'm still having fun. This is the most fun multiplayer video game I've ever touched. It's my dream game.

Check out some random footage on youtube or twitch. It doesn't take long to figure out if this is a game for you or not. I can't explain how much I love it. I've already got over 30 hours logged online.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:34 am 

I've never heard of it, but it does sound like fun.

Also, it's old enough that it's relatively cheap now.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am 

Yeah, for some reason it's still full-fucking-price on the Playstation store. I guess they spoil me with all the sales. I found it locally used for $20. I actually spent another $40 on the "season pass" DLC because that's the quickest/easiest way to unlock 6 additional classes. I haven't even tried them all yet because I got so obsessed with Peacekeeper/Shaman/Nobushi.

I saw one clip of a guy playing For Honor on Twitch and that was all she wrote for me. The mechanics are everything. The satisfaction when you take another player down, either 1v1 with a stylish execution or through more subversive means...I've already received "hate mail" from 2 players and I'm brand new lol.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 pm 

Quote:
I've already received "hate mail" from 2 players and I'm brand new lol.

Hahaha! I would love to read what that message said.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:53 pm 

People get real upset if you don't play exactly the way they think you should. I've stated I play an assassin-class mostly so I'm in and out of the action a lot. I'll fucking run away if it benefits my position, I don't care. Basically zero honor, ya dig? Although I won't usually back down from a duel unless it just serves no purpose towards the objective.

The first one simply said "double teaming fag" which is weird because I was playing 4v4 Domination. Of course I'm going to team up on people and try to kill them as quickly as humanly possible. The fuck?

The second one made me smile. I was running a character that gains "stealth" from the radar after you do enough good things without dying (think Kill Streak rewards in CoD, but it's also objective-based). I had a pretty good game I think I went like 15-3 plus we won. I got a message from their best player that said "Get on radar you fuck!". I just responded with "<3" and the next game he was playing an assassin class too.

These people are in trouble once I actually get good. I'm just learning.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:01 pm 

Rocket League now has a tournament mode where players can organize their own events. The only issue I've come across so far is that going anywhere beyond the main menu while queued will break your connection.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:35 pm 

Finally bought Bloodborne. I'm scared of playing a From game without a shield, lol. I've also heard BB is harder than Dark Souls. That true? I've played all 3 Souls games so I'm sure I can figure it out, regardless.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:55 pm 

I've only played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 and I found DS3 quite a bit harder than Bloodborne, so if you've made it through DS3 you shouldn't have too much trouble with Bloodborne. It's still obviously challenging as heck though, and actually one of the hardest parts of the game is the beginning area, so have fun with that.

I haven't played the Bloodborne DLC though (I know Morrigan, I'm sorry) and I've heard that's got some of the hardest bosses.

Such an amazing game though! Have a blast.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 pm 

Yeah it's not that hard so far. I can't imagine coming into this with no Souls experience though, lol.

edit: I thought Father Gascoigne was a pushover, didn't understand why I'd seen people talk about the difficulty, until I hit his transformation phase, lol. Totally destroyed him up until that shit. Gonna try to parry him next time.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:34 pm 

This is going to sound insane but... Two Worlds (the first one) is actually really awesome? Yes the dialog, voice acting and art design are pretty much complete dogshit, but my god, the loot/item progression, combat systems and most importantly, BALANCE, are masterpiece-tier. The game is probably closest to Divine Divinity, but on the mechanics side of things, I think it beats it at its own game. The whole world is open from the beginning, there's no level scaling (minus some human bandits whose items seem to scale to the player), no respawns, full Fog of War so you know exactly where you've been and where you haven't, simple but effective and fun alchemy, killer and insanely complex magic system, solid melee and ranged combat, absolutely THOUSANDS of lootable items (everything you see on an enemy you can take off his corpse and use for yourself), countless different enemy types weak to different types of damage, huge, diverse hand-crafted world with lots of unique biomes... man, it's just so good.

If only the writing, voice acting and art design hadn't been so irredeemably shitty, this game really would've been the Oblivion Killer it (foolishly) advertised itself as. If you want a fun, addictive open-world game, put on some music, set the game to Hard difficulty, skip the dialog (the in-game questlog is more than adequate to fill everything in for you) and enjoy the ride. This is the game Kingdoms of Amalur could've been if they'd patched in higher difficulty settings before the company went bankrupt.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:15 pm 

I tried to play Two Worlds back in the day when it first came out and I think I just got out of the tutorial zone.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:35 pm 

Yeah you and me and, I think, most people. The opening hour makes Fallout 4's notoriously uninvolving opening look like the beginning of fucking Empire Strikes Back or something. It's bizarre the insane amount of work they put into the game's design, world and mechanics, yet the writing and voice acting has about all the effort of an 8th grader stuck in detention forced to write a 10,000 word essay about why cheating is baaaaaad, m'kay.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:06 am 

I've recently felt the tug of game collecting again, a hobby that's been on hold for a couple years after I had to move into a smaller place. It's partly reignited by one of my favorite places closing around here, and me grabbing several games and (at long last) my ColecoVision from them. Then, out of curiosity, I took a gander at how the vintage collector's market is doing on eBay and now I'm just so super fucking pissed.

Resellers are gouging the hell out of prices, spiraling the costs to not only astronomical levels, but patently absurd levels. Rayman for Atari Jaguar for over $140? Fucking bullshit. I got that game three years back, with it's box, with three other boxed games, and with the Jaguar itself for less than that. Things have really gotten out of hand. The resellers are going to kill the collector's market if this keeps up. And while there will be a plus to that--prices finally plummeting back to where they should be--the downside will be fewer collectors making it harder to find quality games. But fuck these people. They take the fun out of a fun hobby.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 pm 

Jesus Christ, I SUCK at Darkest Dungeon. I love everything about this game but I can't seem to even get any of my guys to level 2 before losing them. It's pretty disheartening as I do like playing the game, but it gets pretty frustrating pretty quickly.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:55 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Jesus Christ, I SUCK at Darkest Dungeon. I love everything about this game but I can't seem to even get any of my guys to level 2 before losing them. It's pretty disheartening as I do like playing the game, but it gets pretty frustrating pretty quickly.

What kind of teams do you run? Any boss/location in particular giving you trouble?

I always try to deny enemy actions. Stun them, focus fire on ones that haven't had their turn yet, etc. The less turns they take, the less crits they land, the less dead you get. Your speed stat and getting surprise rounds is super important, which is why Grave Robbers and Plague Doctors are total pimps.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 845, 846, 847, 848, 849, 850, 851 ... 940  Next