Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 pm 

So I figure we got one of these in the Metal board, why not a non-metal one? What are the best non-metal albums you've heard this year, what are you waiting to come out, etc

So far some of my favourites have been:

Jeff Rosenstock - Post

Fun pop-punk/power pop with some grandiose songwriting here and there. Very catchy and fun.

No Age - Snares Like a Haircut

A noisy, hazy punk/rock record with an ear for hooks and dreamy atmosphere

Porches - The House

My favourite so far, a bit more 90s techno influence that their last album (which was a favourite of mine in 2016). Just some great, heart felt song writing and melodies here. Find Me is a great single with a wonderful build to the chorus, Country has some amazingly beautiful harmonies, it's pretty great front to back though.

JPEGMAFIA - Veteran

Noisy and avant guard hip hop. The obvious cultural touchstone nowadays would have someone maybe compare them to Death Grips, but it's pretty different, definitely way more rooted in regular hip hop. Some great beats on this one, though, and some great lyrics too.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 am 

I haven't listened to much non-metal from 2018 yet, but the latest from Long Distance Calling and Somali Yacht Club are both great instrumental post-rock albums. Avations' The Light Years shows promise in places, but some of the songs are all over the place and it makes for an incohesive record. They are clearly talented, but really have to work on songwriting.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 am 

Thanks for starting this thread. I need to dig into some non-metal stuff as well.

So far this year, I've only heard two albums:

First Aid Kit - Ruins
An album that I liked it a lot. Very heartfelt folk/americana with beautiful vocal harmonies. Also, the arrangements seemed very clever to me upon first listen.

Fu Manchu - Clone Of The Universe
Borderline metal, but not on the archives. Nothing new in the land of stoner rock/psych, but the songs are fine and have a bit of a punkish edge, and they did an 18-minute sprawling track with Alex Lifeson as guest which has a fair share of good ideas and soundscapes.

I also heard good stuff about Pendant - Make Me Know You Sweet, will have to get into that one of these days.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 am 

harms way - transhuman
is a 90s metalcore banger with a bit of a industrial feel to it. Certainly not the sugary lame kind of metalcore.

Pianos become the teeth - wait for love
they left behind the skramz elements and are now more of a mix between post-punk and post-rock

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 pm 

That Harm's Way album indeed rules, I neglected to mention it because I tend to think of metal/hardcore/metalcore under the same umbrella so to speak. I've only heard it once but it left a pretty big impression on me.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:39 am 

Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers
I wasn't really into it the first couple times I heard it, but it's grown on me A LOT. It's probably a couple songs too long (Proof Of Life could have been left off, for sure). A lot of it sounds familiar, which isn't always a bad thing.

The Thing With Five Eyes - Noirabeque
Bizarre jazz/trip hop/world music thing that I stumbled across by accident. Really like this one.

Jim Cuddy - Constellation
Again, nothing groundbreaking here. All of these songs could have worked with his band, Blue Rodeo. They're simple folk/country songs, but the vocals are smooth as ever, and his backing band are tasteful.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:10 am 

I will 100% back the First Aid Kit mention. They are so magical, and they put on one hell of a goddamn show.

The new Pianos Become The Teeth album is my non-metal AOTY and it's only February. Of course, A Perfect Circle and Thrice have stuff coming out later, so we'll see.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 am 

The thing with five eyes is is another project by jason kohnen of bong-ra and a bunch of other things and yes i thought it was p good too.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 am 

I'll third First Aid Kit. I was quite heavily into them a few years ago (not so much now), but I did enjoy the new album.

As for the future, I've heard The Offspring, Pennywise and Bad Religion are all working on new music, so hopefully there'll be releases from all of them this year.

Janelle Monáe is finally releasing a new one (Dirty Computer). Can't believe it's been five years since The Electric Lady.

Kacey Musgraves' new record is out 30th March. Pageant Material was a little inconsistent after the stellar Same Trailer Different Park, but I've still high hopes for this.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:31 pm 

That Janelle Monae album is gonna be a BEAST!

Anyone heard the Car Seat Headrest re-release/redux of Twin Fantasy? I never heard the original but this is a pretty good and charming indie rock record. I didn't think Teens of Denial was as good as people said it was but this one is hitting the spot quite nicely.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:32 pm 

Carpenter Brut has a new album, but it seems hit or miss.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pm 

It hasn't come out yet, but I'm eagerly awaiting For All Mankind by Astral Projection. Will be their first album of originals since 2002.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:22 pm 

i wasnt impressed by the new carptenter brut myself, it struck me as more generic 80s instead of the metallic synthwave of the trilogy.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:35 am 

The new Harm's Way album is a complete sack crusher. Just heavy as hell, uncompromising hardcore tinged with death metal and industrial. Right now this is in the running for my AOTY and I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up in my top 5. Even aside from how heavy and punishing it is, it's got some simple yet fresh and addictive riffs, great variety in its songs, and just an excellent overall flow to it. For being such a bro metal knuckledragging hardcore album on the surface, it's actually put together really well and the songwriting is top notch. Most importantly, it's just fucking fun to listen to.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 pm 

I am in love with the new Andrew WK album. It's so ridiculously over the top and corny but somehow won me over thru charm and sheer force of will. It surprisingly reaches levels of majesty some power metal bands could only dream of and has some great, Meat Loaf esque theatrical songwriting. Extremely good shit.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:47 am 

Seconding the new Fu Manchu. I also enjoyed the new album by Against the Grain. It's a little more on the stoner rock side compared to their older albums but it's still got that speed punk style.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm 

The new Jack White is going to be insane. I heard it at an event at my local record store last weekend. Super wild, eclectic music that runs the gamut of almost any style you can think. Held together nicely with White's bluesy, noisy rock guitar. Some of the melodies were actually heart-rending and other moments were brash and on-top-of-the-world. Glorious album.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 pm 

Shout out to:

Against All Logic - 2012 - 2017. I'm not too familiar with Nicolas Jaar's stuff, but apparently this is a retrospective of his work under the AAL moniker. Good shit.

Hailu Mergia - Lala Belu. Ethiopian jazz keyboardist. Honestly don't know too much about jazz, but I check out a few releases a year and this one hits the spot nicely.

Kero Kero Bonito - TOTEP. Fun, poppy EP from a group that is more known for their electronic style. This one has some noisey guitars and whatnot, but still all the same, sharp melodies.

U.S. Girls - In a Poem Unlimited. Very cool and diverse album. Don't have much to say other than the songs are memorable and immediate.

MGMT - Little Dark Age. Fun as hell.

Efrim Menuck - Pissing Stars. It's what you'd expect from the Godspeed/Mt. Zion dude, but theres a little bit more conventional songcraft in here. Some of it is downright catchy.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:00 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
JPEGMAFIA - Veteran

Noisy and avant guard hip hop. The obvious cultural touchstone nowadays would have someone maybe compare them to Death Grips, but it's pretty different, definitely way more rooted in regular hip hop. Some great beats on this one, though, and some great lyrics too.

Yeah, DG fans will call anything that's a mix of harsh industrial and rap like Death Grips. I love Death Grips but it's like saying all death metal bands sound like Death. But at the same time, JPEG could've rolled with it. He should've seen it as part of a bigger movement with groups like H09909 or Clipping. They all sound different, but they have enough similar routes for us to group them or arrange them in the same playlist.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the new Death Grips album. :D

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:07 pm 

Really digging Owane's latest after a few listens. I'm not typically super into jazz fusion-y stuff, but there is a lot of really well-written material here.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:35 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I am in love with the new Andrew WK album. It's so ridiculously over the top and corny but somehow won me over thru charm and sheer force of will. It surprisingly reaches levels of majesty some power metal bands could only dream of and has some great, Meat Loaf esque theatrical songwriting. Extremely good shit.

Yeah man, I'll probably check that one out at some point myself. He's one of those guys that, whether you are an unrepentant grim necro black metal kvultist, a dyed in the wool thrasher, or just a shameless hipster/poser, you just can't help but smile when you hear his music, even if you might not openly admit it. It always reminded me a bit of the Ramones, except with lyrics about just having a good time- who doesn't like that? He just played here in Boise the night before last, in fact. It was honestly one of the most fun shows I've gone to over the past couple years, I got to admit.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm 

Here's some noteworthy things I've enjoyed from this year thus far:

Geowulf-Great Big Blue

Despite the name, which sounds like some weird ecology themed black metal band, this is a very chill indie/dream pop record. Very lush and atmospheric.

Gost-Possessor

If you were disappointed with Carpenter Brut (I wasn't per se, but I do recognize that album as a step down from the trilogy), you should really enjoy this. While I don't claim to be knowledgeable about every synthwave artist ever, from what I do follow, this is the most intense synthwave album I've ever heard, and comes close to being equally as extreme as some of the most extreme metal albums. Absolutely pulverizing.

Preoccupations-New Material

Expanding on the outright post-punk of their (technically) first two albums, this one ups the synth atmospheres and industrial textures giving this a vibe somewhat close to the early albums by The Cure.
Obliteration

iDead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:46 am 

Im waiting for new Jedi Mind Tricks album called The Bridge and the Abyss, vinnia paz is a big Metal fan himself. Good underground Rap is still alive so dont judge it by the stupid mainstream :)

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:32 pm 

Extremely pumped up about the new Frankie Cosmos, nice continuation of the indie pop she's known for with some more adventurous songwriting and the same down to earth lyrics I've come to expect from her. Charming, cute and catchy.

Similarish vein: Soccer Mommy's Clean. Sharp songwriting in the style of 90s alt/indie rock. Very catchy and memorable.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:30 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Extremely pumped up about the new Frankie Cosmos, nice continuation of the indie pop she's known for with some more adventurous songwriting and the same down to earth lyrics I've come to expect from her. Charming, cute and catchy.

Similarish vein: Soccer Mommy's Clean. Sharp songwriting in the style of 90s alt/indie rock. Very catchy and memorable.

I like the Soccer Mommy album a lot. One of my favourites of the year so far. I can't get into the Frankie Cosmos. They all sound like "half songs" to me, or ideas that are only ideas. I know she gets a ton of praise for her work, it's just never caught on with me.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:50 pm 

The Starkweather / Concealment split is easily my pick for “non-metal but maybe/possibly/would be/should be up for your consideration” pick so far this year. Endless sludgy riffs; natural changes in tone, tempo, and mood; jazzy, interesting drumming; a variety of vocal styles... this has it all and both bands accomplish those feats in gargantuan, sprawling songlengths. I’ve long been a fan of the former and “Divided by Zero” has to rank as one of their best creative gems. Get in on this yesterday.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Hank Scorpio
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:49 am 

Starkweather is in the archives. "Divided by Zero" is certainly difficult to get into due to its length, but very rewarding. But unlike the songs from their split with Overmars or "This Sheltering Night" I can't listen to it just anytime I want. It's very tiring, even though I just love Rennie's voice. You really have to be in the mood.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:08 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I like the Soccer Mommy album a lot. One of my favourites of the year so far. I can't get into the Frankie Cosmos. They all sound like "half songs" to me, or ideas that are only ideas. I know she gets a ton of praise for her work, it's just never caught on with me.

totally get that criticism, it took me a minute to really get into her when she put out Next Thing, but I think her genius is just a little subtle. Then going back to Zentropy was easy and Vessel really hit the spot. I think she really hits her stride on this new album with some really interesting songwriting choices that I don't think she's really explored on her last two. One thing I find refreshing about frankie is that the songs are never super repetitive, it's interesting to hear poppy music that isn't totally bashing your skull in with their melodies.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:11 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Starkweather is in the archives. "Divided by Zero" is certainly difficult to get into due to its length, but very rewarding. But unlike the songs from their split with Overmars or "This Sheltering Night" I can't listen to it just anytime I want. It's very tiring, even though I just love Rennie's voice. You really have to be in the mood.

So they are! I’m slipping lately, good catch with that. Agreed that there’s a lot going on to digest compared to those splits, and it’ll take a lot of repeated listens required for me to appreciate it as a whole and not just as the sum of a lot of really, REALLY great parts, but I look forward to that process. I can live with this as their creative direction and methodology from here on as long as it continues to yield music of such quality and depth.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:30 pm 

Ayyy, so how about the new Hop Along? Loved Get Disowned and this new album is quite nice, although maybe not as immediate as their past work. Vocals are stellar as usual.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:33 pm 

Not a new album, but a re-release: Vision of Disorder's s/t debut is seeing a nice re-issue on vinyl, numbered to a 1000 copies. Sounds a bit like Confessor with great hardcore screaming and way more tolerable clean singing.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 pm 

Just wanted to throw out Hall of Thatch by Rome. 10 full length albums in now and he's still going very strong with this being one of his darkest, unhinged, and most ambitious to date. Building off the direction of Hell Money, it's very reminiscent of The Angels of Light, early 90's Swans, and even pays homage to their no wave era on a couple of tracks, most notably, "Martyr". Definitely an excellent addition to his discography and was pleasantly surprised with this fresh approach as his last full length, The Hyperion Machine, while decent enough, definitely lacked inspiration and indicated some stagnancy in his songwriting.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:52 pm 

Mary Halvorson - Code Girl: Really nice jazz stuff, combining some of the more inaccessible and experimental sides of the genre with memorable songwriting and occassions of wonderful melody and harmony

Amen Dunes - Freedom: hazy psych-folk stuff, pretty similar to his last release except maybe a bit more synthy. Pretty good, but it's a grower. Nice summer vibes tho.

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour: OH HELL YEAH. This is some good shit. Poppy country written extremely well with hooks that will be stuck in your head all day. The lyrics are down to earth and very nice as well and Kacey sounds great. Probably instantly became one of my favourites this year.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:52 am 

So Janelle Monáe's Dirty Computer is fairly brilliant. Really dense production and instrumentation on every track which smoothly complements the vast tableau of influences she shows throughout the album. It's got this... 90's pop R&B influence (think, like, fuckin' TLC) that permeates the first half of the album, which is kind of repulsive at first but makes sense once you take the album as a whole.

There are some pretty cringey lyrics though :lol: Never really her strong suit.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:16 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
90's pop R&B influence (think, like, fuckin' TLC)

darkeningday wrote:
kind of repulsive

:getout:

Pretty pumped to check this one out!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:26 pm 

Oh, also there's a track that reminds me of My Neck, My Back :lol:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:33 pm 

You might be surprised but I'm more excited to hear it than ever before.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:47 pm 

Hmm... I haven't really listened to any high profile non-metal releases, but I would say I enjoyed the new Magnum and Sick Shit records.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:17 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
You might be surprised but I'm more excited to hear it than ever before.

Then listen to the damned thing :-P , she posted it to her youtube channel.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:07 pm 

Lord Huron's new album is really good somber indie folk stuff. Been a huge fan of theirs and this doesn't disappoint.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next