* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:47 pm 

From Ken Sorceron's Facebook:

Quote:
For reasons that are easy for anyone with internet access to guess I would like to announce that I am leaving The Faceless. While I will miss playing with my boys Justin McKinney and Bryce Butler and some good times have been had over the last two years, the bad times have definitely overshadowed the good.

I have no ill will towards the band or their manager Ej Shannon who really did his best to help the band recover over the last couple years and wish everyone the best. But without going into any details publicly I think it's no secret that there are some deep seeded problems and I know longer want the stress and anxiety that comes along with being in the band.

I'll be putting my full focus back into Abigail Williams and The Accuser as I am finishing up new records for both bands over the next couple months.

https://www.facebook.com/ken.sorceron.5 ... 6533327589

Damn, just when it felt as though the Faceless was starting to get a somewhat stable lineup (they still don't have a bassist), this happens. You don't have to read into his statement too much to realize what the issue is - because he doesn't even mention his name: Keene. I know I shouldn't be surprised by this, but it just seemed like he was a good fit for the band, and that he liked doing it. Keene seriously must be a nightmare to work with because I've read that they were good friends before he joined.

It seems as though whatever the problem is, he handled it like a professional. He finished the album/touring cycle and then said his goodbye. I'm definitely happy that he will be working on more Abigail Williams, but still this situation is unfortunate. What I would like to discuss is whether or not y'all think Keene will ever have a stable lineup again, and who would you like to see as a replacement vocalist? They've had nothing but amazing vocalists in the past so it will certainly be big shoes to fill.

Last edited by BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:19 pm 

Well, I'm kind of excited for new Abigail Williams... lol

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm 

Everyone else in the band that isn't Keene left too. He really should just call it a day, get the help he needs, and go away for a while.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:53 pm 

They finished a short europe tour then everyone quits, he really must be unbearable. The newest drummer lasted like 3 months.

Last.fm

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:11 pm 

this band is fucking doomed. Really no point in them continuing while The Zenith Passage, Rivers of Nihil, Virvum, Fallujah, etc are going so strong. They were really important back in the day but they will basically never be respected or taken seriously again. May has well pretend they broke up after PD.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:11 pm 

I saw the band on Summer Slaughter in 2012 and will never forget how he was treated by the deathcore kids, he was worshipped like a god, sucking his dick, and treated like the second coming of Chuck Schuldiner (and I'm certain those kids have no idea who that is :) ). Fucking insane to see how far he's fallen since then. At this point even complete losers like Eric Hoffman or Allen West get more respect than this guy (ok, the latter is an exaggeration but still). Can't help but wonder at what happened to cause this split, must've been pretty fucking serious.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm 

How bad is Keene that he can totally break a lineup within a matter of months? Even some of the most notorious egotistical control-freaks in metal could hold a lineup together for an album or two.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 pm 

Jesus fucking christ now everyone has quit? I found the statements from the other guys:

Bryce Butler wrote:
This is not easy for me to do... But it is for the best. After a lot of thought, I've decided that I will be leaving The Faceless. I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity that I was given, but the band is not what it appeared to be. I am not going publicly into detail, about exactly why.. But there are many things that I'm not comfortable with. I don't feel right moving forward. There are unnecessary levels of stress, and i have to do what's best for my health. Thanks to the Internet, a lot of you already have a good idea of what's going on. It was an incredible honor playing with Ken Sorceron and Justin McKinney and I will miss them dearly. We all had hope in repairing the band, and EJ Shannon really has done so much to try to make that happen. But I can't and won't put myself in a position that doesn't sit right with my soul. I wish these guys nothing but the best. I will absolutely still be touring and I'm excited to announce that I will be playing live drums for Abigail Williams. Thank you so much to everyone who has supported me through all of this. I am eternally grateful and I will see you all soon

https://www.facebook.com/bryce.butler2/ ... nref=story

Justin McKinney wrote:
After dealing with The Faceless for roughly 4 years now, I have decided that I need to remove myself from the band, it is not easy doing this, but being treated the way we have over the years it’s just something I can’t take anymore. I am not going publicly into detail, but if you have access to the internet it should be apparent whats going on here. It’s been super fun and incredible touring and playing alongside Ken Sorceron, Bryce Butler and Chason West. We all had high hopes in repairing the band, worked hard and dealt with things we shouldn't have and E.J. Shannon Management really busted his ass to do so as well, I love all those guys and I wish them nothing but the best. But I need to push forward and focus on the reason why I even do this, and that is The Zenith Passage. I’ll see you all soon.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I would like to point out that all these statements are pretty much identical and none of them mention Keene by name! Did he do something insanely fucked up (recently) that I missed? They all say, "If you have access to the internet, you know what's going on" and that they won't comment on it publicly. I hate to say it, but this really might be the nail in the coffin for the Faceless. This is not the first time all his members have quit on him, and I just don't know if anyone is stupid enough to join at this point.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 pm 

This is going to be another Chimaira situation, I know it.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 pm 

motorsport wrote:
Well, I'm kind of excited for new Abigail Williams... lol

me too. i hate the band name but the last album was good.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:46 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
How bad is Keene that he can totally break a lineup within a matter of months? Even some of the most notorious egotistical control-freaks in metal could hold a lineup together for an album or two.

Druggie manchild and spoiled, ungrateful prick with enabler parents who always clean up the messes that EJ Shannon and his bandmates who still give him the benefit of the doubt (until they get sick of his shit) don't, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shannon washed his hands of him after this latest mess as well. He fucked up big-time here; Ken was one of the last real defenders and longtime friends he had left, and he thanked him by continually taking advantage of his largesse and generally being all take and no give. Drugs make him worse for sure, but he's a complete asshole to begin with and it truly mystifies me how he can still find people willing to join his dumpster inferno. Also, if anyone actually believes for a second that he's sober, then I'm a Nigerian prince with thirty million in US bonds that are waiting for an account to be transferred into.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:51 pm 

Wait, didn't this band have the entire line-up quit on the founder once already in the not too distant past? Negura Bunget might have found some serious competition in this field.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:01 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Wait, didn't this band have the entire line-up quit on the founder once already in the not too distant past? Negura Bunget might have found some serious competition in this field.

Yup. End of 2014. Only difference there is that it occurred over the course of a month, as opposed to over the course of a day like it did here.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm 

Looks like Keene still isn't ready to hang it up yet, he's already working on putting together a new lineup to play the shows they have booked in the Summer: http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... new-lineup

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:56 pm 

Yeah I saw that earlier, where he said that they won't be cancelling any dates and that he will have a brand new lineup. I still just don't know who the hell would join him after all this.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:32 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Yeah I saw that earlier, where he said that they won't be cancelling any dates and that he will have a brand new lineup. I still just don't know who the hell would join him after all this.

Prolly some young, early to mid-20's kids. They probably have a tech death band. The exposure and toruing experience will help bring more notice to their band on the side and they will release an album during the time they will be touring with keene, or something. They will leave and now their main band has more fans, more exposure and prolly some techniques learned from Keene via watching him.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 am 

Despite the brand name and history of the band, I will actually be very surprised if anyone decides to work with Michael Keene now. His reputation is shattered and you'd have to be desperate to work with him in any capacity. Stranger things have happened, though....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 am 

Last edited by Epicureo on Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 am 

As PDS said, joining the Faceless is pretty much free publicity. The only price is having to be around Keene, but if you can deal with that for a while, your profile as a muscian will be increased. I'd probably be looking at the newly opened spots with interest, if I were an aspiring tech death player. I'd view it like uni or something; "Just prick this out for a year or so and bigger and better things await on the other side".

- Tim Minchin

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 am 

Fairly recent Keene interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR40m3sb4go

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:48 am 

I get very similar vibes from watching him talk as I have from Bobby Liebling. In fact, there are many parallels in general.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:14 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I get very similar vibes from watching him talk as I have from Bobby Liebling. In fact, there are many parallels in general.

Considering how much Keene's mom enables her idiot son, you're not wrong. She's always there to save the day when EJ Shannon (or, before this most recent schism, Ken) isn't, and, given how she has repeatedly joined in on his Facebook spats with people, she may actually be worse. I wish I was making that last one up, but I have seen Tara rush in to offer support to her baby boy when he's losing a fight that he started on probably two or three separate occasions. It's fucking unreal.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:45 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Considering how much Keene's mom enables her idiot son, you're not wrong. She's always there to save the day when EJ Shannon (or, before this most recent schism, Ken) isn't, and, given how she has repeatedly joined in on his Facebook spats with people, she may actually be worse. I wish I was making that last one up, but I have seen Tara rush in to offer support to her baby boy when he's losing a fight that he started on probably two or three separate occasions. It's fucking unreal.

Gross, freaking enablers man.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 pm 

Yeah, Ken also enabled his bullshit for far longer than he'd care to admit before he realized that his "friend" didn't give a flying fuck about him.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:27 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Yeah, Ken also enabled his bullshit for far longer than he'd care to admit before he realized that his "friend" didn't give a flying fuck about him.

Just out of curiosity, are you aware of what happened to Demon Carcass and Brandon Griffin after their "reunion" in 2015? They came back and then immediately were mysteriously replaced by other people without any announcement if I recall correctly. I was always curious about what happened there.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:02 pm 

I know the band is called The Faceless but Keene seems to think there is an actual face for the band.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 pm 

true_death wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

Just out of curiosity, are you aware of what happened to Demon Carcass and Brandon Griffin after their "reunion" in 2015? They came back and then immediately were mysteriously replaced by other people without any announcement if I recall correctly. I was always curious about what happened there.

Nope, but odds are good that they noped the fuck out after trying and failing to get anything done with that dingdong. I'm surprised that Rydquist even got The Spiraling Void tracked. They have better things to do than wipe and change a grown child who sponges off his loaded parents and anyone who deludes themselves into thinking that they can make his band functional again.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 pm 

A lot of bands these days are basically just guys living off of their parents/wives. That's pretty much the prerequisite for a successful band in todays music industry.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:27 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
A lot of bands these days are basically just guys living off of their parents/wives. That's pretty much the prerequisite for a successful band in todays music industry.

This band could have been so much more successful if it wasn't for Keene. Like, they really legitimately could have been over twice as big as they are now if he hadn't blown most of his opportunities by being a dickhead and burning bridges with everyone who could have helped him. Yeah, they started out as a rich kid family money band, but they easily could have succeeded on their own if he hadn't shot himself in the foot until the gun was out of ammo and then bitched that his foot was a mangled mess and that someone should come help him walk.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:28 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Oh, man, I forgot about this. What a riot that was when she turned up.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:20 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
This band could have been so much more successful if it wasn't for Keene.

Doubtful. How can a new band tour to build up a name without a trust fund kid footing the bill for it all? Sorry, the quality of their music alone wouldn't have done that alone without tons of touring.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:36 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
This band could have been so much more successful if it wasn't for Keene.

Doubtful. How can a new band tour to build up a name without a trust fund kid footing the bill for it all? Sorry, the quality of their music alone wouldn't have done that alone without tons of touring.

The Zenith Passage did it before Justin even joined The Faceless through hard and smart work; the closest that they came to having a benefactor was Rob Maramonte being a former member of Fallujah and having their name attached. Plenty of bands go places without rich families footing the bill.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:43 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
The Zenith Passage did it before Justin even joined The Faceless through hard and smart work; the closest that they came to having a benefactor was Rob Maramonte being a former member of Fallujah and having their name attached. Plenty of bands go places without rich families footing the bill.

I've never even heard of that band, so I'm fairly certain that they're nowhere near as big as The Faceless.

Disagree with your final sentence, as it pertains to new metal bands in the modern era.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:17 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

I've never even heard of that band, so I'm fairly certain that they're nowhere near as big as The Faceless.

Disagree with your final sentence, as it pertains to new metal bands in the modern era.

Not as big as The Faceless, but I assure you that they're a name and they're going to become far more of a name over the next few years, especially now that Justin can devote all of his time to them instead of having to juggle between them and being a caregiver for the Bobby Liebling of tech death.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 am 

http://lambgoat.com/news/29770/ex-The-Faceless-guitarist-says-drugs-at-root-of-band-problems
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:32 am 

Well, if the band is destined to continue on as "Keene & a bunch of temps", then The Faceless is really a perfect name for that!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:07 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Well, if the band is destined to continue on as "Keene & a bunch of temps", then The Faceless is really a perfect name for that!

Keene has his name all over it.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:54 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Saw this earlier but on a different site. McKinney is the first one of The Faceless' long roster that I've seen call Keene out for his behavior:

Justin McKinney wrote:
Here you go again shifting blame away from yourself and towards the last 18 people who have quit the band. Stealing money from the band, stealing money from fans. Telling fans the reason why you can't play your guitar is because of being 'nervous', not because of your heroin addiction and the fact you never practice. Backtracking your solo in 'Spiraling', getting the band's equipment sold from your storage unit from non-payment and using the money EJ [band manager] sent you to pay for the unit to buy heroin. Getting so high that you can't even make flights on time. Ya, we sure betrayed you, dude. Get your fucking life together and take responsibility for your shitty actions.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:21 pm 

It's weird that Ken got roped into babysitting a heroin junkie, reminds of Blake Judd a few years ago.

Last.fm

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
It's weird that Ken got roped into babysitting a heroin junkie, reminds of Blake Judd a few years ago.

Sunk cost fallacy, pretty much. I don't think he had any idea just how bad things had gotten until he actually joined and found himself very far down the rabbit hole very quickly. There was probably also a part of him that thought he could change Keene if he tried hard enough.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next