Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mercilessonslaught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm 

I never really gave the station much listen- its the Seton Hall radio station, 89.5 WSOU. Recently my Aux input in my car broke, and I do a lot of driving, so I was trying to find a good radio station. I got kinda sick of Q104.3 so I just happened to think of 89.5 because I had known about it forever and never really listened to it. So I said, let me give it a shot and threw it on.

They play metal all day basically, and I actually really like it. There's a good variety and it's really cool to have a radio station that plays metal. It's not just mainstream stuff either- they play a lot of different stuff, and I've actually found some new bands through the station. Lately, they've been playing a lot of Judas Priest's new album and I actually really dig it.

I was just curious if anyone else here was from New Jersey and listens to this station, and if so, what do you think of it?

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:23 pm 

I'm from Nassau County in Long Island, and while I haven't listened to this radio station for years, I used to listen to it a lot in the mid 90's as a teenager. I discovered a lot of heavy metal, black metal, and death metal bands because of that radio station. I used to record some of the songs onto cassettes. It was awesome! I had no idea the station is still around and playing metal. That's great!!

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 pm 

You know Rice University (it's located in Houston,Texas) broadcasted a station which specialized in extreme metal. A lot of music that was on the station consisted of black/death metal.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 pm 

I spent most of my life in NJ and I remember this station quite well. In particular, I remember "Monday Night Mayhem", which was the death metal feature show. It came to an end in 95/96 IIRC, because the host personality graduated.

But let's be real, this station was no real beacon for underground activities. They very much were trend hoppers at the time-they were early adopters of your mid-to late 90's "hardcore" (your Hatebreeds, Vision Of Disorders, E-Town Concretes, H2Os and whatnot), nu-metal (my first exposure to Korn, Limp Bizkit, and early Deftones was on this station, long before any of these bands broke in the mainstream or on MTV), and metalcore (early Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Poison The Well, From Autumn To Ashes, and Killswitch Engage were HUGE on this station). I stopped listening to this station circa 02/03 because at that time, it was nearly all metalcore and post hardcore, with the occasional Pantera, Metallica, or Ozzy/Sabbath track to keep metal "cred" or stitch back to the "roots". It just wasn't to my tastes at the time. Plus they definitely had genre feature shows, such as alternative rock, punk, etc.-it certainly was not all metal, all the time.

I had a an acquaintance that worked for the same company as I did at that time (shouts to the Compact Disc World chain of NJ!), and she went to Seton Hall with the exclusive, expressed purpose of interning/working at WSOU (in hindsight, this seems like a huge waste of student loan money :lol:). Some while later, she told be that because Seton Hall is a christian college, they were limited in what they could play and say on the air. As such they would not play Death, for example, because of the name. "Hatebreed" was either "H Breed" or "The Breed", etc. I was told that the song titles and albums names were over-clarified to make up for that, so as to guide listeners to the albums they were looking for.

Again, that was then, could be different now-I personally have no use for FM radio these days. But this station was pretty cool in the early/mid 90s, but completely lost their way in the late 90s/early 00s. Which is understandable, they had to drawn an audience within a limited frramework.

Funnily enough, a band I was playing in at the time got exactly one play, one time on WSOU, during their punk feature show.
Obliteration

jdagger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:41 pm 

I live in Central Jersey so that station doesn't come to clear for me. Only time I tune in is when I am traveling to North Jersey to visit family which is often but I am usually streaming music, so it's rare when I listen to FM radio. Though every once in awhile I will tune in and I have found some new bands in the past as well.

Quack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:26 pm 

The rumor I've heard was that Monday Night Mayhem was halted by Seton Hall's dean due to satanic content. It was on air longer than 4 years. I remember moving to Jersey in 94 and listening to Monday Night Mayhem at least till 2001, or maybe I'm wrong. I recall taping whole Schulidner's interview.
Anyhow, it was an OK station till mid 90's, they played lots of Carcass, and Slayer, but then Slayer was banned too.
Mostly I agree with FrebathDan plus they played so much crap like Clutch, which I cannot stand.
Nowadays while driving I mostly listen to WNYC, but just recently I've changed the station to WSOU and... Ramstein was on.

Reply to topic