Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:22 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
So between the 11th and 18th we have [...] Mary's Blood

Oh shit, they're releasing something? Time to get hyped!

Yeah, it's called Revenant. No tracklist so far.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:26 pm 

Unlucky Morpheus is supposed to be spamming several releases this year (at least 5). "Wings" is getting reissued at the same time as the new one. Dropping 1400 yen for essentially a one-song single is a bit of a waste though.

I actually didn't pre-order that Thousand Leaves - wasn't too sold on their last album and what I heard from the new one didn't blow me away. I haven't written it off or anything. There's not much for Japanese melodeath that I strongly like though (Veiled in Scarlet and Serenity in Murder are good though).

Adrastea has a new one out, but that's tied up by a few March 14th preorders, so I'll end up hearing it a few weeks after its released.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:46 pm 

tahu157 wrote:

Now I'm salty--their official Facebook, site, and Twitter don't have any info about it at all. The most they've given so far was in early December saying Rio was working on the basslines. D:

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:47 pm 

I'm not sure about this shirt. Some fans may love it, others might not... your reaction?

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
tahu157 wrote:

Now I'm salty--their official Facebook, site, and Twitter don't have any info about it at all. The most they've given so far was in early December saying Rio was working on the basslines. D:

Yeh, only reason I know about it is because I got an email from HMV. They post things to their store waaaayyyyy in advance of any real information about the disc.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Mary-s-B ... nt_8563899

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:01 pm 

Are most of the bands discussed in here all female poppy sounding bands? Legit query. On topic, got new Loudness which is more of the same later day sound. Also got the new Necrophile on my recent trip to Japan (can't remember if I posted this already). Ripping death metal.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Are most of the bands discussed in here all female poppy sounding bands? Legit query.

Cyntia, Bridear, and Aldious? Yes.

Lovebites and Mary's Blood? Nope.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 pm 

Pretty much, plus power metal, melodeath, and the occasional Ningen-Isu or Gargoyle post. There hasn't been too much extreme metal discussed here, so don't get too upset if such queries go unanswered.

Lovebites and Mary's Blood would be considered poppy by most extreme metal fans too.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:17 pm 

Ok. No problem. Cheers.

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Are most of the bands discussed in here all female poppy sounding bands? Legit query. On topic, got new Loudness which is more of the same later day sound. Also got the new Necrophile on my recent trip to Japan (can't remember if I posted this already). Ripping death metal.

In this thread? Yes, there's more of a focus on all-female bands. The "controversial" Aldious single was what kicked things off in the first place.

For genres like death metal and doom metal, there are plenty of people into Gotsu Totsu Kotsu and Ningen Isu over at Japanese Metal Forum (jpmetal.org). You're more than welcome to come check it out. Most of the people who used to frequent this thread now post over there, and there are more windows of opportunity to discuss the bands in their own threads (including separate release announcement threads), post translated articles and interviews, vote on polls and keep up with the weekly newsletter, and so on. Much nice, calmer atmosphere. You can also discuss non-metal genres such as math rock and J-pop there, as there are plenty of people into those kinds of bands.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:28 am 

Does anybody know anything about the band 中学生棺桶 (Chūgakusei Kanoke)? I found them browsing Diwphalanx Records' page.

MA profile here: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E4%B8%AD%E5%AD%A6%E7%94%9F%E6%A3%BA%E6%A1%B6/3540287685

The band pic is interesting as one of the four members has facial hair that makes him look like a 1930's Hollywood wolfman, and another of the four members is a young child. Apparently they have four full length albums, the first released in 2004, the latest released in 2010, and they also have a few splits and a single released in between. Their genre tags are "stoner/doom, punk", and the only band in the similar artists tab is Church of Misery. All things considered, I am very surprised I've never heard of these guys before. Unfortunately, the members column on their MA page is blank, and in the related links section there's only a pretty bare bones webpage, no facebook or bandcamp listed or anything.

Anyone know anything about these guys? Are they any good? HOW YOUNG IS THAT KID??? And what does that kid play?

BTW, the text in the link looks ugly, but the link works, at least for me.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:06 pm 

I randomly blundered into them before. Not very familiar with them though, they seem pretty obscure. They sorta reminded me of a rawer Ningen-Isu.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 pm 

Looks like Mary's Blood released the tracklist for their new album, Revenant, last week or so. Also there's a bunch of text in Japanese that I could translate if I had time, but I don't right now.

http://marysblood.jp/news/91529

01. World's End
02. ツキヨミ (Tsukiyomi)
03. It’s Alright
04. Believe Me
05. On the Rocks
06. Rolling Start
07. Halcyon Days
08. 女神の裁き (Megami no Sabaki) ~Death Queen's March~
09. R.I.P.
10. Say Love
11. Take a Chance

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:37 pm 

Finally got around to buying/listening to The Lovebites EP. I've been missing out man, this stuff is really good! They kinda remind me of a cross between Bridear and Tears of Tragedy at times but also have plenty of unique sounds as well. I'll have to give the album a listen sometime soon.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:54 pm 

I don't really hear any Tears of Tragedy in their sound, tbh (unless its something with the vocals).

Personally I liked the MCD more than the album. *shrug* I'm hoping their upcoming MCD will be good.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:55 pm 

That last song in particular is where I hear the Tears of Tragedy influence. It's a really, idk, flowy song at times. Granted my experience with Tears of Tragedy is limited to Statice so maybe it'd be better to say I hear lots of Statice in that song.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:51 am 

If you want more extreme metal from Japan the only name that jumps out at me is Sigh. They've always slayed

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:06 am 

World End Man is pretty great too if you're in the mood for some mindless death metal.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:15 am 

Melt-Banana seems pretty fun, I should acquire some of their CDs sometime.

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 am 

TrachomaSlayer wrote:
If you want more extreme metal from Japan the only name that jumps out at me is Sigh. They've always slayed

Nah, the correct answer is Sabbat. Afterwards, feel free to check out Abigail, Evil (fairly recent band that released a few demos before, but now have an album out), Barbatos, Transgressor, Hellchild, and Gotsu Totsu Kotsu.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 am 

TrachomaSlayer wrote:

Kadenzza, MergingMoon, Shadow, Serenity in Murder, Serpent, Gonin-Ish, Corrupted, Bellzlleb and Followbane are all very good at times too.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:44 pm 

Mistereyedee wrote:
TrachomaSlayer wrote:

Nah, the correct answer is Sabbat. Afterwards, feel free to check out Abigail, Evil (fairly recent band that released a few demos before, but now have an album out), Barbatos, Transgressor, Hellchild, and Gotsu Totsu Kotsu.

All good choices. I especially appreciate the Evil inclusion--Rites of Evil kills. There's also Coffins, Flagitious Idiosyncrasy of the Dilapidation, Anatomia, Defiled, Gallhammer, Unholy Grave and GISM. Japan isn't wanting for good extreme metal.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:36 pm 

Alright I think the word "only" was definitely inaccurate! That being said, I definitely have some homework to do since of these I only really recognize Evil, Sabbat, Abigail and Coffins.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:44 pm 

Manipulated Slaves and Terror Squad aren't bad. Swarrrm is pretty good too. Endon sounds promising, but I've only heard a few songs. I may break down and grab a couple of their CDs one of these days.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 pm 

I just put on Manipulated Slaves to give it a listen, I'm really into it so far! I'm listening to the album "The Legendary Black Jade" and so far its very thrashy, but with a lot of melodic lines. It sounds like what I always wanted Power Metal to sound like basically

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:09 pm 

Wow, the vocals go through a full transition from power metal to death metal and back again on that album. Really wierd actually.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:22 pm 

That band is pretty strange esp. on later albums. It'll go from death/thrash with blast beats to female vocals + violins. Its almost has a romantic/atmospheric vibe similar to some 90s gothic/doom metal, but the music itself is still mostly death/thrash (maybe some melodeath too). They have some straight HM numbers too. I'd say their later stuff is more melodic though. It still somehow works out though, IMO. I almost feel like dusting some of their CDs off.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:30 pm 

I definitely enjoyed what I heard, it's fun to be caught off guard by something totally unexpected every once in awhile.

Speaking of variety have you looked at all of their different album covers recently? One is a photo of the countryside with hands in the sky, one is some anime-ass imagery of a horse and rider(the album I just listened to), another is just a pirate ship. It's kind of hilarious how all over the place the art direction for the album artwork is.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 am 

Perdition666 wrote:

Melt-Banana seems pretty fun, I should acquire some of their CDs sometime.

Teeny Shiny has always been my jam by that band, but Charlie is also quite righteous. Both have the speed and noise of the older stuff, yet some of that quirkiness of later releases.

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:58 am 

TrachomaSlayer wrote:
Alright I think the word "only" was definitely inaccurate! That being said, I definitely have some homework to do since of these I only really recognize Evil, Sabbat, Abigail and Coffins.

Most people don't acknowledge how good the extreme metal bands there are. Even Japanese thrash metal is an anomaly.

Ever heard of Rosenfeld or Rommel? Early Aion is also intense.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 am 

TrachomaSlayer wrote:

Gotsu Totsu Kotsu is a must: old-school death metal with tight musicianship, caveman barks and standout slap-bass. Their latest album is the best with the debut coming in a close second (the other two aren't bad either). If you like Coffins, Anatomia is a safe bet. Their first album was solid Autopsy worship, but the two subsequent albums saw them coming into their own with moody dirges augmented with keyboards that never keep it from crushing (though a few of the ambient tracks on their latest get a tad repetitive for my taste).

Can't believe I forgot about Yellow Machinegun. In the late 90s they kept thrash alive. Ferocious with a dollop of humor:

They have some kick ass slow songs too:

Intestine Baalism also deserve mention for being one of a few melodeath bands I enjoy. Gawd, I left out S.O.B., one of the elder statesmen of grind. Butcher ABC, though I haven't listened to them much seem alright as well.

Hyungnim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:48 am 

Recently listened to a new Mikki band. I knew that it would be something interesting, but I didn't think it would be in this form.

About new Mary's Blood album: they strongly changed look. I hope the music doesn't change much.

Recent - Trivium - What The Dead Men Say
Previous - Black Rain - Gekka Bijin
Next - Miyu - Meta-Loid

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:58 pm 

Hyungnim wrote:
About new Mary's Blood album: they strongly changed look. I hope the music doesn't change much.

I mean they do that every time they release an album so I doubt it's indicative of a wild change of sound although I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to that either.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 pm 

All those bands change visuals with each album (hell, single even) and I find visuals usually don't have a huge relation with the music either. I do hope Mary's Blood mixes things up a bit, their last album was kinda stagnant. A darker direction would be most welcome.

I strongly doubt they're going to pull a Cyntia here.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:39 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:

I will commit sudoku if they pull a Cyntia.

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:11 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Be careful of what you wish for.

There are many metalheads and punks (especially punks) in Japan that don't like all-female bands. Aldious especially gets the lashings. Not even Lovebites is accepted among them. Mikitoshi from the famous label Rockstakk Records organizes True Thrash Fest, and he'd never sign those kinds of bands to his roster. Instead, bands like Rosenfeld and Coven (more recent) are more widely accepted in their scenes.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:35 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

This made me chuckle.

Sudoku is a puzzle game, like crosswords.

I believe you meant seppuku, which is ritual suicide.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 am 

Mistereyedee wrote:

There are many metalheads and punks (especially punks) in Japan that don't like all-female bands. Aldious especially gets the lashings. Not even Lovebites is accepted among them. Mikitoshi from the famous label Rockstakk Records organizes True Thrash Fest, and he'd never sign those kinds of bands to his roster. Instead, bands like Rosenfeld and Coven (more recent) are more widely accepted in their scenes.

And yet the audience for these bands is overwhelmingly male.

Given the sexism they face, you'd think more of these girls would make a push internationally. It's paying dividends for Lovebites. Although there have been European tours recently by Band Maid, Galmet and Bridear.

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:10 am 

Nah, I wouldn't call it sexism. They're just not fans of bands like Light Bringer or Aldious. Show-Ya, Terra Rosa, Rajas, Starless, and the like are still widely respected by the old schoolers.

Hyungnim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:38 am 

Now I saw cover art of new Fate Gear album. Image promises epic content.

Spoiler: show

Recent - Trivium - What The Dead Men Say
Previous - Black Rain - Gekka Bijin
Next - Miyu - Meta-Loid

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next