Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:49 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I'm really surprised this doesn't seem to have been noted here

The feeling was mutual.

Earthcubed wrote:
http://yourslownewsday.com/

Earthcubed wrote:
lost_wanderer wrote:
Why did you post that link?
https://www.justice.gov/file/1035477/download

:thumbsup:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 pm 

Not to appear slow on thee uptake side of things, but what the hell does the first link have to do with anything?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 pm 

I know there are at least a couple posters in this thread from Pennsylvania; the NYT just posted a fascinating analysis of the redistricting for the House that will directly affect the upcoming elections. Definitely worth a read. If you've already passed your 5 "free" articles for the month, simply disable JavaScript or cookies for the site.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ering.html
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:24 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

Trump's constant attempts to claim that this is all just nothing have fizzled yet again.

This is very much something.

And yet he berates the FBI for not paying more attention to Nicholas Cruise and instead focusing on the Trump-Russia investigation. Predictable? Yes.

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 am 

Svarthavid wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Trump's constant attempts to claim that this is all just nothing have fizzled yet again.

This is very much something.

And yet he berates the FBI for not paying more attention to Nicholas Cruise and instead focusing on the Trump-Russia investigation. Predictable? Yes.

Those are also different departments, teams, cases, and agents within the FBI, so his "criticism" is just plain wrong. Mueller does not run or utilize 100% of the FBI for his investigation. At the same time, even if Trump's bitching was accurate, it's important for the FBI to get through this as soon as possible before the next major election cycle.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm 

Even addressing that Trump claiming the FBI's focus on Russia may be related to their failure to apprehend Nikolas Cruz in time is playing right into his tiny hands.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:02 am 

The most annoying part of the last week has been watching Trump fret about how Obama didn't do enough to stop Russia. He isn't wrong, and he doesn't understand why he's right (nor does he care), but the underlying causes of 2016 (eg, Putin) will now be ignored since Trump voiced support for that assessment, and "everything Trump touches, dies" as the saying goes.

And before anyone starts with the "but-but-but Mitch McConnell!" rage-response, please remember the entire period from 2013-2016 where we knew exactly what Putin was and responded in every conceivable way except the correct way. Our entire posture towards the Kremlin---diplomatic, defense, counterintelligence, the whole shebang---was wrong. And it wasn't because we didn't know enough. We knew almost exactly what Putin was doing in US electoral politics from late-2014 onward (hell, we and the Dutch watched a chunk of it in real-time), and still ignored it. McConnell is slime, but by the time he made his backroom threat it was already too late to do anything.

Napero wrote:
Not to appear slow on thee uptake side of things, but what the hell does the first link have to do with anything?

I was just being sarcastic, since it wasn't actually a slow news day.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 am 

Well Obama's position during the election was only 100% wrong in hindsight. If Trump had lost, the election meddling could've been swept up afterwards (as is happening now), and everyone wanted Hillary to have as clean a win as possible, given the whole email nonsense and the shady shit going on behind the scenes in the DNC. It's obvious now that Obama and the DOJ should've been much more aggressive in weeding out the Russian influence, but I can see why they did what they did, at least in 2016.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:35 pm 

It was obvious in 2013, it was obvious in 2014, it was obvious in 2015, and it was obvious in 2016. There's nothing hindsight about it. Russia's intelligence services barely tried to conceal what they were doing.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 am 

I have to agree with Earthcubed. Obama really fucked up on this.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Russia's intelligence services barely tried to conceal what they were doing.

That was honestly kinda the point. We're living in Surkov's America.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:03 pm 

Obama did a lot of good stuff, was prevented from doing a whole lot of other good stuff, and yes, did fuck up big time here and there. I have to agree with Morri and Earthcubed here.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 am 

At long last, Trump is finally burning bridges with the few alt-right morons in gaming. Surprised it took this long, actually.

Trump blames violent video games and movies for violence in America.

Quote:
“We have to do something about maybe what they’re seeing and how they’re seeing it, and also, video games,” said Trump, speaking during a discussion on school safety at the White House. “I’m hearing more and more people say the level of violence on video games is really shaping young people’s thoughts.”

At no point should any gamer actually be surprised by this. Granted, not everyone was paying attention the first time around.

Also:

Quote:
Young people have counteracted this narrative, as they have every time it is stated. The survivors of the Stoneman Douglas shooting have taken to activism, gaining a national profile as they advocate for gun control legislation. Following Trump’s comments today, CNN interviewed a student at the school who did not hold back in his response.

“That’s just a really pathetic excuse on behalf of the president,” said Chris Grady, 19, a senior. “I grew up playing video games — you know, Call of Duty, all those kind of first-person shooter games — and I would never, ever dream of taking the lives of any of my peers. So it’s just, it’s pathetic.”

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:48 am 

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ived-death

Quote:
Hogg's mother, Rebecca Boldrick, told The Washington Post her family has received death threats online since the conspiracy theories surfaced.

These people are the absolute worst.

And of course, Sherrif David Clarke comes out and says that these student's attempt to push for gun control "has [George] Soros fingerprints all over it"

Right. Whenever you're in trouble and you can't make an argument, just invoke the Soros boogeyman because they know every conspiracy theorist dipshit will have an extreme Pavlovian response to it.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:06 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/375053-florida-shooting-survivors-mother-we-have-received-death

Quote:
Hogg's mother, Rebecca Boldrick, told The Washington Post her family has received death threats online since the conspiracy theories surfaced.

These people are the absolute worst.

And of course, Sherrif David Clarke comes out and says that these student's attempt to push for gun control "has [George] Soros fingerprints all over it"

Right. Whenever you're in trouble and you can't make an argument, just invoke the Soros boogeyman because they know every conspiracy theorist dipshit will have an extreme Pavlovian response to it.

Conspiracy theorists used to be whimsical and entertaining, but since 9/11, they've quickly become the scummiest of scumbags. They're starting to make Creationists and Evangelicals look responsible and even-tempered.

Yes, I am aware that all-too-often these are the same person. Like Alex "The Spaz" Jones.

Alex Jones should be set on fire.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:10 pm 

If you burned Alex Jones alive, it would probably widen the hole in the ozone layer. Please don't.

Also, don't forget about Trump proposing bonuses for teachers who get gun training!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:47 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
At long last, Trump is finally burning bridges with the few alt-right morons in gaming. Surprised it took this long, actually.

Trump blames violent video games and movies for violence in America.

Quote:
“We have to do something about maybe what they’re seeing and how they’re seeing it, and also, video games,” said Trump, speaking during a discussion on school safety at the White House. “I’m hearing more and more people say the level of violence on video games is really shaping young people’s thoughts.”

At no point should any gamer actually be surprised by this. Granted, not everyone was paying attention the first time around.

That's all well and good, but are alt-right gamers really a large enough group to represent much of a shift in Trump's support?

What I'm waiting for is the same 2nd Amendment absolutists who roasted Obama, to look with an honest comparative eye at his gun control policies and Trump's suggestions.

- Obama ordered more stringent background checks
- Trump currently leaning that way
- Obama's 2013 package of executive orders included limiting magazines to 10 rounds
- Trump has ordered the Justice Department to get to work on banning bump stocks

Now, I think all of these are good measures. If you need more than ten shots to scare a burglar out of your house, maybe you're better off throwing knives. Trump's presidency could really be undermined by the lunatic fringe - whose support he owns up to now - if they'd look at this issue sincerely, but again I'm not counting on it.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:15 pm 

With the NRA being fully in the pocket of gun manufacturers (rather than gun owners) and being so influential at lobbying the government, expect absolutely nothing to change with regards to firearms regulation. It's appalling, but my expectations are really at zero minus infinity right now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 pm 

I was VERY surprised to hear him moving against bump-stocks, and my first thought was "Wow that's going to cost him a lot of votes from the Gun Folks"

Is it a cold calculated move to sacrifice a little bit of the right to gain some favor across the aisle? He doesn't seem very calculating to me, to be honest.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:38 pm 

If it is a calculated move, then I'm willing to bet my right fucking eye that the idea didn't come from him.

I'm with Morrigan though; shit won't change. It never does.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
With the NRA being fully in the pocket of gun manufacturers (rather than gun owners) and being so influential at lobbying the government, expect absolutely nothing to change with regards to firearms regulation. It's appalling, but my expectations are really at zero minus infinity right now.
Very appalling. Even worse, or at least on par, is some of the excuses people - politicians and citizens alike - use when trying to defend guns and deflect regulations.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:49 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I was VERY surprised to hear him moving against bump-stocks, and my first thought was "Wow that's going to cost him a lot of votes from the Gun Folks"

Is it a cold calculated move to sacrifice a little bit of the right to gain some favor across the aisle? He doesn't seem very calculating to me, to be honest.

Bump stocks were legalized by Obama's Justice Department. They were a gray area that did not exist 15 years ago, whose mechanical operation was determined to be different enough from previous firing mechanisms that existing laws did not address them. And there was no push to change that because about 99% of the country had never heard of them until last year's Vegas shooting. The NRA has stated for months they think bump stocks should be banned administratively (eg, through a change in regulations, rather than a new law being passed through Congress).

In other words, Trump can ban them while blaming Obama for legalizing their sale, and if his advisors are smart enough they'll encourage Trump to frame himself as being on the side of reason while also a friend of the NRA. It would be a triple home-run for him in the messaging department.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:44 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

"we want everything to be unregulated, except one minor detail that was NOT explicitly banned by Obama personally and just happened to be used in one single random mass shooting incident."

Sure. Go ahead. That seems like a reasonable school shooting stopping measure that will... awww. What the fuck. Just shoot more teenagers, will ya, please? Because you really don't give a fuck.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:43 pm 

Gun nuts are right to a degree when they use the mental health crisis as a dodge to avoid admitting gun nuttery as a cause of America's pattern of frequent spree killings because gun nuttery is a mental health issue.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

That's all well and good, but are alt-right gamers really a large enough group to represent much of a shift in Trump's support?

I consider any people gradually moving away from Trump to be momentum in the right direction.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Gun nuts are right to a degree when they use the mental health crisis as a dodge to avoid admitting gun nuttery as a cause of America's pattern of frequent spree killings because gun nuttery is a mental health issue.

Your whimsical hyperbole aside, no, they are not right in any capacity, here. I made this argument to someone once, and they challenged me for some clarification on my "mental disorders + guns" argument. When I looked it up, turned out I was wrong and conceded. Yes, a "fun" argument can be made that "one must be mental to shoot up a place", but the reality is that people with mental disorders are statistically insignificant when it comes to gun violence, spree shooting, mass murder, etc. Statistically, people with mental disorders are vastly more likely to be gunned down in this country, not to be shooters.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 pm 

I find it strange that we can't discuss both of these things in tandem (gun control, mental health) as being hugely responsible for the tragedy that happened.

A citizen who owns a gun and no desire to kill other humans is not the problem. A citizen with a mental health issue who has no disposition to kill other humans is not the problem. The problem is when a citizen with a mental health issue has the disposition that the only solution is to kill other humans is the problem. If you want to take away the firearms to lessen the chance of a high bodycount, fine, but you understand that you're not fixing the underlying problems, right? This person is still mentally sick, unhappy and probably very close to doing something regretful, hence an enabling via firearms for the horrible attack that has happened. At some point, you have to look at society at large and ask what the systemic problems are that allow people to get to the point of saying, "the only solution is to kill as many people as possible." Gun control measures (of which we have many, don't let people fool you into thinking every person in the United States has unfettered access to all firearms all the time) are a logical and needed step in addition to other measures and in tandem, hopefully we can start to address the deeper problems.

Also, required reading for those calling for an Australia-styled gun confiscation measure. It details the difference in history for each country and the role firearms played in their development.

*Edited posted, added additional details.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 pm 

What mental illnesses should bar people from owning guns? Depression? Nearly everyone these days is depressed. PTSD? That's similarly common, and a great way to fuck over someone for having something horrible happening to them. If we're going to ban people from owning firearms, focus on people who have been convicted of violent crimes.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
What mental illnesses should bar people from owning guns?

Obsession with guns.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:23 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I find it strange that we can't discuss both of these things in tandem (gun control, mental health) as being hugely responsible for the tragedy that happened.

A citizen who owns a gun and no desire to kill other humans is not the problem. A citizen with a mental health issue who has no disposition to kill other humans is not the problem. The problem is when a citizen with a mental health issue has the disposition that the only solution is to kill other humans is the problem. If you want to take away the firearms to lessen the chance of a high bodycount, fine, but you understand that you're not fixing the underlying problems, right? This person is still mentally sick, unhappy and probably very close to doing something regretful, hence an enabling via firearms for the horrible attack that has happened. At some point, you have to look at society at large and ask what the systemic problems are that allow people to get to the point of saying, "the only solution is to kill as many people as possible." Gun control measures (of which we have many, don't let people fool you into thinking every person in the United States has unfettered access to all firearms all the time) are a logical and needed step in addition to other measures and in tandem, hopefully we can start to address the deeper problems.

Also, required reading for those calling for an Australia-styled gun confiscation measure. It details the difference in history for each country and the role firearms played in their development.

*Edited posted, added additional details.

The issue is the blanket gray area of "mental health issues" and which ones you're going to look at. Are you talking about a momentary lapse, or a long term issue? A guy who was mistreated at a job, fired, and comes back and shoots up the place--what's his mental disorder? Would having that cataloged help? Would you want your private health records on public display for you to be judged? What about anger? Or passion? Or greed? Or jealousy? These are all emotions by which people kill.

Are they mental disorders? Or are they moods? Are they planned or spur of the moment? And which ones? Depression? Manic-depressive/bi-polar? Narcissism? Mania? Schizophrenia?

Murder in the heat of passion is one of the most common, because it's a spur of the moment decision. A mistake, a horrible mistake, but a mistake. A clean record by a person who snaps. In a fit of rage and jealousy, they murder their spouse for whatever reason. What mental disorder should we have studied to stop it? What mental disorder is there that makes a spurned lover murder in the heat of passion?

Focusing on mental health totally misses the point about these things. It's a minor part of it all. Extremely minor. See this heavily-sourced NY Times article.

Quote:
In an analysis of 235 mass killings, many of which were carried out with firearms, 22 percent of the perpetrators could be considered mentally ill.

Overall, mass shootings by people with serious mental illness represent 1 percent of all gun homicides each year, according to the book “Gun Violence and Mental Illness” published by the American Psychiatric Association in 2016.

Emphasis mine. This is like if 1% of all car accidents were caused by squirrels in your car, and people saying we've got to do something about "all these squirrels in our cars."

Quote:
To be sure, gun violence experts contacted by New York Times reporters have said that barring sales to people who are deemed dangerous by mental health providers could help prevent mass shootings. But the experts said several more measures — including banning assault weapons and barring sales to convicted violent criminals — more effective.

Yes, we should definitely be looking at the systemic problems that are leading to all these mass shootings. But surely, you must see, that focusing on "mental health" is missing the point. It's looking at the wrong part of the problem. It's wasting time on a minority issue over any other legitimate points.

Here are some common threads, and man, there aren't a lot.

America's mass murder problem is mostly:
1. Males in their 20s-30s.
2. Mostly white males.
3. They use legally purchased firearms.

AND THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT. Some are angry, some are depresses. Some think they're fulfilling a task, some are out for revenge. Some want suicide by cop, some just want to inflict pain. Some want their 15 minutes of fame, some think this will immortalize them. Some crave media attention, some feel lost in society. Some do it for religion, some don't. Some hate women, some hate everyone, some hate gays. And mental health? Forget it man, you run a wild gamut here.

Really, perhaps the most disturbing theme in this is that it affects males of a certain age range almost exclusively. If it was just mental disorders, wouldn't it affect more people from a wider range of demographics?

Bringing this back to Trump: The Republicans are once again clearly, firmly entrenched in doing whatever the NRA says, failing to realize that more gun control is needed, and getting further misguided.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:29 am 

According to the American Psychiatric Association, mass shootings by people with serious mental illness represent 1 percent of all gun homicides each year.
https://psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10 ... 1615371099

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 am 

^ Exactly. We should focus on people who have been convicted of violent/sexual crimes.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:54 pm 

I gotta say, I'm amazed at the kids who are completely dragging the NRA and politicians like Rubio. In like a week or so, they've done more to put the issue at the forefront and keep hammering it than the DNC ever could. It would make me feel hope, if I could ever feel it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:40 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

LOL nice.

Quote:
America's mass murder problem is mostly:
1. Males in their 20s-30s.
2. Mostly white males.
3. They use legally purchased firearms.

Aye, and in the cases when they are not, care to guess what Republicans (or even people in general) tend to focus on? Curiously enough, it's not "mental health". :thinking_emoji:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:40 pm 

Yeah, these kids have been a bigger burden on those institutions than any politician has been it seems. It makes me truly nauseous to read some of the vile rhetoric in the comments of some news outlets that are writing stories on these kids though. I mean, will you go to war with yourselves over gun ownership? I actually fear that happening in the future.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 pm 

What a complete and utter piece of shit.
Trump is talking about implementing the death penalty for drug dealers

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:11 pm 

Go figure, even something as easy as getting tough on crime, Trump could bugger that up - by getting tough on the wrong crime. I would like to see a focus on liberating victims of prostitution: crack down on pimps, by forcibly redistributing their wealth among their former employees, so that those poor souls will have a starting point from which to rebuild for themselves a decent life.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:41 pm 

Given who we are talking about, I read the article purely to make sure he didn't misspeak and intended to say drug addicts should be executed. Because with this president, you just never know....

*exhales slowly*

Phew, not as bad as I thought. Still bad, but not afflicting-the-afflicted bad.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 pm 

It's still ridiculous and fascist.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:17 am 

It does not surprise me that Drumpf would side with the NRA, these are the same people who refuse to accept the reality of guns.

"A gun is, by and large, an inanimate object. It cannot hurt anyone without a perpetrator" and gun supporters spout that line, just leaving it there. Now while that is true they refuse to lead that logic to its common sense conclusion.

Just because someone interprets their actions with a gun as moral or immoral, does not change the fact that a gun is an item designed and used for the express purpose of maiming/killing whatever it is fired at.

They will not admit this, of course, because it is a slippery slope and they are forced to admit that restrictions should not be encouraged but inherently obvious. Guns serve only a single practical purpose and that is to be destructive. So guns, by default, are inherently destructive. When a person defends guns they are defending something inherently evil, rendering all possible excuses irrelevant, and making them a complete Stupid Asshole.

So.... Unintelligent and a disgrace to the human race? No wonder Drumpf fits so perfectly with said people. I swear he is not worth the flesh that unfortunately must cover his disgusting core and skeleton.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 227  Next