Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:07 am 

Metal music has never scared me. Listening to A Blaze in the Northern Sky for the first time at 15 was not scary: it was awe-inspiring, melancholy and triumphant, and still is. The only album that has genuinely scared me is The Drift by Scott Walker. The combination of the instrumentals, Scott's voice and the lyrics makes a truly unearthly experience. Listening to it in total darkness at maximum volume is like a sleep paralysis experience.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 am 

Great to see some love for Wormphlegm here! Although I somehow couldn't really get into this band (which might be an unexcusable blasphemy actually) the most horrifying/scary album for me up to this point would be Aeons in Tectonic Interment by Tyranny, the band which features two out of three Wormphlegm members.

It's definitely one of the most sinister and oppressing albums I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. Especially Sunless Deluge - just thinking about the song gives me goosebumps of fear and joy at the same time. The beginning sounds like being locked into a room of a dungeon one mile below earth's surface with nothing but blackness around while a giant unknown creature tramples and drags itself across the floor of the room above, possibly coming to get you... Fucking horror!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:17 pm 

when I first got into any kind of extreme metal, I found Cradle's Dusk And Her Embrace album a little bit scary. Admitting that now seems hilarious.
The beginning of King Diamond's Fatal Portrait got me when I was younger, as well.

myownmorbidreality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 pm 

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Axis of Perdition yet.

I find their albums to be rather unsettling...

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:00 pm 

Give the latest Bethlehem album a listen, it has some creepy as fuck vocals (and it's awesome all around).

https://bethlehem.bandcamp.com/album/bethlehem

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:50 pm 

Epicureo wrote:
Give the latest Bethlehem album a listen, it has some creepy as fuck vocals (and it's awesome all around).

Listened to the first song and the vocals sound just like any other black metal vocalist out there.

zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Epicureo wrote:

Listened to the first song and the vocals sound just like any other black metal vocalist out there.

Only it's a woman, so that should count for something...

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:48 pm 

I don't know if it genuinely scared me but the first time I heard Anaal Nathrakh's Hell Is Empty and All the Devils Are Here I felt a bit frail and exhausted afterwards

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:44 pm 

Shit man, this is a great topic and there are always some pretty deep memories involved. Some of mine are to do with glitches in albums and stuff, but I first got the willies listening to Slipknot as a youngster ('Scissors' is a creepy song by any standards), then later Mayhem's 'Freezing Moon' made me jump because I got hold of a CD-R version that had some deadly hiss suddenly strike across it, adding to my general black metal "murder phobia" at the time.

Satyricon have a song called 'With Ravenous Hunger' on Volcano that is intended to made you leap out of your seat (although my version was noise boosted on my Ipod which really didn't help), while I first listened to Asphyx's The Rack when a rat ran out from under my bed - and that's already a pretty unnerving listen.

Witchery have a great song called 'The Howling' which is about the blackest their speed/heavy/black metal ever got: it's the sound effects in that one that just takes the violence up a notch and makes it raw and threatening. The last one I'll add is Aura Noir's Dark Tracts of Hell, which has this extreme darkness and white-knuckle concentration that just makes me feel weak while I listen.

zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:17 pm 

Maybe, just maybe Worship's Last format before doomsday. Mad Max sounds like he's about to crawl out of the speakers themselves towards you, like this goddamn girl zombie crawling out of the TV set on the original Ringu series of movies...Other than that metal that scared me? Not really...Actually most metal makes me laugh, hard. It all sounds like a parody of its very self. And then, there are the truly great pieces of musical art.

cornbread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:28 pm 

Lurker of Chalice came to mind first, for me... especially when it came out and I was still a youngin.
The bleak atmosphere and almost whisper-sounding vocals, coupled with the intro track... spooky.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:12 am 

When I first got Shout at the Devil, In The Beginning had a creepy feel to it.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:38 am 

Slightly resurrecting this thread to mention King Diamond's "Them". I'm listening to it in full for the first time in over a decade, and it's still kind of creepy. The title interlude is pretty horrifying.

Also, that collaboration album Sunn O))) & Scott Walker did, "Soused" is basically nightmare fuel. The video for the track Brando hurt my brain for a while.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:18 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm 

Turn off the lights, sit in a dark room and listen to The Vision Bleak's Carpathia: A Dramatic Poem. If you don't feel anything, you're probably already dead.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:46 pm 

Always this Axis of Perdition mention! It's simply newer-school dissonant blackish metal with interludes in the vein of the earlier In Slaughter Natives albums. Since the metal parts hardly qualify as scary, you'd be better off just listening to ISN's "Sacrosancts bleed" and "Enter now the world".

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:55 pm 

Whoever said Dave Mustaine scares them: To clarify, if he ever had the notion to run for some public office in an election, well that would scare me too. (same with Ted Nugent by the way, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.)

I honestly don't really get "Scared" by most metal music. I either like it, and genuinely enjoy it; or I don't, and find it annoying and/or boring.

Most of the music that I find to have a genuinely creepy vibe is stuff that is on the outer fringe of metal- some of the dark ambient stuff related to black metal, for example the more experimental side of Havohej, the work or Abruptum and like-minded artists, that Striborg guy, or some of the side studio projects related to the Belketre/Vlad Tepes axis.

To me, some of the most truly disturbing recordings is stuff that may not even be that creepy to listen to on the surface, but when you know the context of it, it takes on a whole other level. For example, recordings of people known to be seriously deranged people, or of victims that have suffered from torture and other horrible abuse.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:56 pm 

Tyranny's Tides Of Awakening is one of a few Metal albums that genuinely scares me. It is just so creepy in its atmosphere and instrumentation that its mere presence has a powerful impact on me. The album truly feels like the ultimate soundtrack to a HP Lovecraft tale with the monster feeling like it was right there. Probably the best Funeral Doom Metal I have heard because of this.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm 

Here are a few "funny" stories about being scared by music in totally different ways:

When I was about 15 and got home from the CD store after buying Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", I put it in my player and seconds later, a bird slammed into my window, dying on impact :lol:.

When I was a senior in high school, I had just bought Obituary's "Slowly We Rot" and wanted to listen to it, but since it was the middle of summer I wanted to go outside and take a walk while playing the CD. I live on one of those country roads where the speed limit is 45 but everyone (and I mean everyone) goes about 60, and since there's no sidewalk or anything, walking down the road can prove kind of dangerous if you have earbuds in. But I was too busy blasting Obituary to care, and eventually got towards the end of the album, one of the songs (I think it's "Bloodsoaked") has a really loud booming sound effect during the intro riff...since I had never heard that before, I subconsciously interpreted it as the sound of a car speeding towards me and I spun around and screamed at the top of my lungs only to realize the road was totally empty and people were staring at me.

This one has nothing to do with the album itself, but around that same time I used to enjoy taking walks in the woods during summer evenings while listening to music. I put on Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" and began my journey. The intro was still playing when I looked down and noticed a small, dark circular object moving quickly amongst the leaves. I bent down and realized it was a harvestman (or granddaddy longleg, as people around here call them). Then I noticed another. Then another. Then another. Eventually, as my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I realized that the entire forest floor was completely covered in swarms of the things, fucking millions running around in every direction. I've never said "fuck this" quicker.

I also once unwittingly played "Addicted to Vaginal Skin" (intro and all) over the pay-to-play jukebox in a bowling alley filled with senior citizens and children. Not my finest hour....

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 pm 

by harvestmen, do you mean those spiders with the long skinny legs? Fuck man, I was in this cave one time and I found a whole nest of those fucking things. They were so densely packed together it looked like a huge clump of human hair. eeeggh, I get the heeby jeebies still thinking of that.

One of the weirdest musical experiences actually came when a group of us were playing D&D (yeah, I get it... we weren't really nerds though, honest) and listening to the first Christian Death album. We were playing by candlelight at this guy's house. The music on that particular album was mostly gothic punk (not like the cheesy theatrical stuff they did later with Valar Kand) but I remember there are a couple weird ambient tracks on the record. Anyway, one of those tracks starts playing, and suddenly, the whole atmosphere in the room changed. It was like there was this really dark, creepy, brooding presence, like you could almost see this black death-shadow thing lurking in the corner, you could sense it rather than see it. But it wasn't just me. EVERYONE there felt it. Just a cold dark presence. One of the guys there actually had a full blown panic attack, and was crying and freaking out wanting to turn the lights on and stuff. It was really weird experience.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:42 am 

Cool thread. I've got a few....

Fear Factory's 'Soul of a New Machine' was one of my gateways to more extreme metal at the time, and I remember listening to the album in bed at night and must have fallen asleep only to wake up in sheer terror when 'Natividad' came on. The loud crashing and grinding noises mixed with the random screaming left an imprint on me.

When I was young, flipping through CDs at the metal store and first saw the cover of Blood Duster's 'Yeest' I was both repulsed and horrified.

Obligatory Abruptum and Bethlehem mentions.... disturbing vibes all around.

Fuuso
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 am 

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss was the first Burzum album that I heard. There was this intense feeling of melancholy when I heard the intro of Det som en gang var. The cover art added to the feeling. Then came the haunting vocals. Very creepy stuff for the younger version of me! And it still is.
If there was a soundtrack for getting lost in the woods at night knowing there's no escape and then slowly getting devoured by whatever creatures there might be...

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 pm 

Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God, anyone? Choir of the Dead and Procession of the Dead Clowns are probably the creepiest songs I've ever heard in my life.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:07 pm 

Necronipple wrote:
Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God, anyone? Choir of the Dead and Procession of the Dead Clowns are probably the creepiest songs I've ever heard in my life.

I think Procession of the Dead Clowns is kind of ... pretty, really. There definitely is a strain of creepiness running through a lot of BaN's stuff though.

Slaugmaur also does that layered, hypnotic, howling dissonance thing really well, and has some moments that'll make the hair stand on end. The whole Domfeldt demo sounds like evil marionettes coming to life and marching you to the scaffold.
https://infernaprofundusrecords.bandcam ... m/domfeldt

Buer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:16 pm 

I remember when I was young I would visit my cousin and was always scared by his Maiden posters. Especially the one for killers.
As for album that unsettled me the most, would probably be Transylvanian Hunger. Something about that raw production manifested a mental image of some dark decrepit basement.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:37 pm 

I don't remember ever being scared by music but when I first heard Deicide's Legion, I thought it was the single most Satanic-sounding music I'd ever heard. I guess I was blown away by how evil it sounded, not so much scared, but I instantly thought of that album as soon as I read this.

nr655321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:47 am 

Not sure if it's because I was scared, but Gorguts' "Obscura", Burzum's first few records, Autopsy's "Mental funeral", Defeated Sanity's "Chapters" or Black Sabbath's first record all took me months to get used to. They're all very different in their own way, but all these records are unusually intense and overwhelming.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm 

Only time I've ever felt any sort of fear at a metal record is the time I was listening to Disembowelment at like 2 in the morning and "A Burial at Ornans" started with that quiet-ass bass intro and then "UUUUGGGHHHH" at full volume immediately after...actually made me jump a bit lol

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 pm 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
Only time I've ever felt any sort of fear at a metal record is the time I was listening to Disembowelment at like 2 in the morning and "A Burial at Ornans" started with that quiet-ass bass intro and then "UUUUGGGHHHH" at full volume immediately after...actually made me jump a bit lol

The mighty Disembowelment...One of those rare albums that cover a ground completely their own with that unique, otherworldly atmosphere. The first one and a half minutes of "Your prophetic throne of ivory" is one of the most brilliant bits of music EVER.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:54 am 

Not album as such, but the cackle in the break on Rime Of The Ancient Mariner. I was about 13, my best mate told me he had seen a demon's face on the curtain in the bathroom at his house. We were heavily getting into Maiden as it was the mid 80's, and I remember that whole 'quiet' bit of Rime absolutely creeping me out, topped off by that woman's laugh which would give me complete anxiety. I still associate it with those times, even though the story was fabricated - he made it up just to freak me out. It worked.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:45 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
When I first heard Ordo ad Chao, I got - thoroughly unsettled feeling that, no exaggeration, hung around with me for hours afterwards. That album's mixture of despair, hatred and flat-out bizarreness has this penetrating gloom that's just so hard to shake! Being my first exposure to Mayhem, I was totally unprepared and really considered bringing it back to the shop. Now I'm very glad I didn't!

This! When it came out I lived in a really small, shitty and creepy apartment in Gothenburg and I remember coming home slightly drunk one night and playing this album for the first time. I seriously had to turn it off and couldn't sleep for two hours. Ordo Ad Chao has this weird, jarring and bizarre sound that still can give me the creeps. Other than that I remember being pretty spooked hearing Cock And Ball Torture's Egoleech when I was around 13 years old. Fuck those cockroach vocals :lol:

Imagine being exposed this when your only experience to "brutal" music is Slipknot :-D

Sarkhasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:44 am 

Vexovod by Portal, which I first listened to at 2AM in the dark while waiting for painkillers to kick in so I could sleep. Bad call, gave me a fucking anxiety attack.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 am 

Megadeth's Polaris scared me when I first listened to it. Bear in mind I was very sleep deprived and haggard from stress when I first listened to the album. The idea of nuclear war just made me feel all paranoid. But the song was amazing so I had to listen to it again. I enjoy it now, perhaps more so because it made me think.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:41 am 

No song will ever scare me more than Alice Cooper's I love the dead. I was some 8 or 9 at the time. By far my favorite nowadays.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:50 pm 

Scared? None. Most of the stuff I'd classify as scary is either dark ambient or industrial.

One album did have a really weird effect on me though. King Diamond's The Graveyard made me feel really strangely uncomfortable after listening to it and I actually ended up taking a few months off from listening to metal after spinning it a few times. Nothing's ever really had that same effect on me before or after, which is weird, because it's pretty goofy

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 pm 

Not really scary, but Abruptum's debut (no way I will memorize that title) can get really unsettling with that tortured screams

credite posteri
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:30 am 

Has anyone but me ever noticed the similarities between Burzum "Spell of Destruction" and Autopsy "Fleshcrawl/Torn From the Womb"? Two songs that evoke incredibly creepy atmospheres. I know Fenriz rates Autopsy, maybe he lent Vikernes his copy of "Mental Funeral" back in the day?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2